Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2009, 10:00 AM   #1
jeniferg
Earning My Ears

Cat 6 vs Cat 9

We are currently going to book for a 3 day DCL cruise for next October. The last time we did DCL, my dh was a smoker so the Verandah rooms were a must for us. He no longer smokes (yay!) so I don't see the need for a Verandah room. The difference in cost between the Cat 6 & Cat 9 rooms for us is $380. I think I can find somewhere else to spend that money while on vacay...he thinks it's worth it. I don't think we'll spend $380 worth of time on the verandah. Has anyone stayed in both of these rooms that can tell me that spending that money is truly worth it? I think the last time we cruised DCL was in 98!! Thank you so much for your input!!

Jen G
jeniferg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 10:16 AM   #2
jilljill
Collects Disney men!
I had to go and write a novel didn't I?!
Come on over and join our thread

Location: 13-14½ hours drive from WDW - depending on who is driving (lol) OR 5 minutes!

For a 3 day cruise I would save the money and book the cat. 9. The cabins are the exact same size and configuration. How long do you plan on spending in your cabin on a 3 day cruise when you are in Nassau 1 day and Castaway Cay the next day and on the first day you can't get into your cabin until 1:30?
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-22-2009, 10:21 AM   #3
KSandbergFL
Life is what happens to you, in between Disney cruises

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeniferg View Post
We are currently going to book for a 3 day DCL cruise for next October. The last time we did DCL, my dh was a smoker so the Verandah rooms were a must for us. He no longer smokes (yay!) so I don't see the need for a Verandah room. The difference in cost between the Cat 6 & Cat 9 rooms for us is $380. I think I can find somewhere else to spend that money while on vacay...he thinks it's worth it. I don't think we'll spend $380 worth of time on the verandah. Has anyone stayed in both of these rooms that can tell me that spending that money is truly worth it? I think the last time we cruised DCL was in 98!! Thank you so much for your input!!
We have cruised 4 times, twice in a Cat 9 and twice in a Cat 5/6. We always try to get a Cat 9 or lower, if we can, to save money. On a 3-nt cruise especially, you really don't spend much time in your room anyway. We are "wierd" but we like being on deck 2, closer to the water -- it's cool to see the ocean so close. If you want some time on a private verandah, the public "secret verandahs" on Deck 7 and 8 are almost always empty.

I don't know if this will mean anythihng to you or not - but on our 3rd cruise (Jan 2009), we booked a Cat 9 and got a free surprise upgrade to our Cat 6 room.... so there is precedent -- just because you book Cat 9, you might end up in a higher category room anyway, depending on how full the ship is, etc etc. I don't know how busy October cruises are.... but you might get lucky.

Go with the Cat 9 and save $400. Like my wife says -- she would sleep in a broom closet, just for the pleasure of being on the ship. In other words - is there really a "bad" room on a cruise ship??
KSandbergFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 10:28 AM   #4
calmpets
DIS Veteran

I always book a cat 9 - my upcoming sailing is the first time I will be upgrading. BUT, it's a seven night cruise, and with the Florida resident discount is was only $400 to a cat 7 for the week. I would absolutely not pay that much for a three night upgrade where you don't even have a day at sea.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: