Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2009, 01:42 PM   #1
seven2go
Are we there YET?

Question Purchases while on Disney Cruise...cash, credit cards?

So, since this is my first cruise, I am wondering about the process for purchases onboard/spending money for kids?? Will be traveling with two teens and a 7 year old......

Do all purchases get charged to a card you are issued by DCL and carry then? What if the kids want something that isn't covered by the cruise, do they have a card too, or how does this work? If they do have a card is cash also accepted or no??

I think I also heard that regular credit cards aren't accepted either? Is this correct??

Thanks in advance guys....this is so new and sort of overwhelming!
But exciting!

184 days till cruise!
seven2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 01:48 PM   #2
kcashner
DIS Veteran

The only thing that anyone can use to make a purchase on the ship or on Castaway Cay is the Key to the WOrld card that you are issued on boarding. This has to be tied to a payment method like your credit card. With the kids, you can choose whether they have charging or not, but if you allow them to charge there is no way thru Disney to limit the amount.

I usually put my teen daughter on a $50 budget for the trip and tell her that anything she doesn't spend she can have in cash after the cruise. I've never had a problem with her going over.

There are NO expenses associated with the kid programming. When they have arcade time, smoothie time, make a t-shirt, or whatever, it's free for that time--they turn off the "money" part of the arcade, everyone gets a free smoothie, etc. SO they need NO money in the programming.

Speaking of the arcade--you can purchase arcade cards separate from your KTTW card. You could buy your 7 year old a $10 arcade card and NOT give him charging. His arcade card is a separate card and when it runs out, his play is over. The arcade cards can be recharged with a KTTW card that has charging--there are horror stories of kids charging arcade cards for all their friends, etc.

Cash, credit cards, Disney Dollars, etc. are accepted only at GUest Services to pay off the KTTW account. They cannot be used anywhere else on the ship. The only form of currency on the ship (other than tips) is the KTTW card.

Each person has a KTTW card. It is needed to get on/off the ship, unlock your cabin door, and make purchases. However, you can choose to NOT put charging on a child's card. You can also choose to tie each card to a different payment source--dad's card can be tied to cash, mom's to a credit card if desired. (nice if you have different families sailing). However, even if you tie the kid's cards to cash, they'll come after you if they over spend! You will have to sign financial responsibility for the minors in your group or they will not have charging at all.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-18-2009, 01:49 PM   #3
MagicMe
DIS Veteran

Everything you purchase on ship is done by using your KTTW card. You link your CC/Cash to the KTTW card at registration or by going to Guest Services. This will include any children unless you specifically request no expenditures on theirs. I know they used to hole punch the kids' KTTW card if they were not allowed to purchase but I don't know what they do now (since I haven't traveled with children in a while). FYI - purchases on Castaway Cay are also by KTTW card (except for the post office).
Disney Dream/AKL - JUL14; Disney Fantasy - SEP12; Disney Dream/OKW - OCT11; Disney Wonder - Alaska AUG11; Disney Magic WBTA - Sep10; Disney Magic - Sep08; WL - Dec07-MVMCP; OKW - Oct/Nov06-MNSSHP; Disney Wonder - Aug06; OKW - Sept05; Disneyland - Jun04; Offsite - Dec03-MVMCP; Poly - Aug02; POR/Wonder - Aug00; POR - Jul99; And many more...

MagicMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 02:02 PM   #4
seven2go
Are we there YET?

Thanks for the awesome response!!

My teens include a 16 yr old daughter and 15 yr old son. My daughter loves to shop , but I think I like the idea of giving her a "limit" (hhmmmm...), or just having her repay me what she spends then....so as to disallow charges by the kids. (I'll have to be with her when she does actually make purchases.)

The game room pre purchase card sounds ideal for the boys, 15 and 7!! Geeez, I would worry about them having unlimited access!!! I don't like surprises that much!

Exciting stuff!
seven2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 02:05 PM   #5
kcashner
DIS Veteran

A little education of the kids can go a long way. If they want to do the arcade, suggest that they do it when the Stack or Ocean Quest group does it--it's 45 minutes of FREE playing time. Ditto the Smoothies--you want a smoothie, go to the smoothie party and save the $4.50.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: