Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2009, 12:04 AM   #1
disneyfreakjackie
The only thing better than a Disney trip is a new tag!
I want my tag fairy to be Jon Bon Jovi in a soft white robe . . . or not!!
Pick on Bon Jovi and you'll be living on a prayer

Question Alaska ... Am I the only one NOT excited?!?

I have NO DESIRE whatsoever to go on an Alaskan Cruise!!! Am I the ONLY one?!? I know it's supposed to be BEAUTIFUL .... but I like my vacations WARM!!!! If I have to wear a jacket and worse yet a COAT ... FORGET IT!!!! lol!!!
6/94~Poly*5/00~DixieLandings*12/00~Sports*12/01~Sports*4/02~Riverside*12/03~Music*8/04~Wilderness Lodge*5/05~Riverside & Caribbean Beach*8/05~Coronado Springs*02/06~French Quarter*8/06~Coronado Springs & DISNEY WONDER*8/07~POP & DISNEY MAGIC-Eastern*8/08~Coronado Springs*5/09~Movies*10/10~7-nights @ Bay Lake Tower! & DISNEY MAGIC-Western Caribbean Halloween Cruise *8/11~9-nights~Bay Lake Tower*5/12~ Boardwalk Villa's~6-nights*~11/12 Grand CALIFORNIAN & DISNEY WONDER-Mexican Riviera*8/13~Animal Kingdom Lodge/Kidani~10-nights

disneyfreakjackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 12:11 AM   #2
Subi WRX
Hangs with Jerry Springer thugs at Universal

No. You are not the only one. I want my vacations to be sunny too. My wife has a big enough problem packing lightly on warm cruises. I can't imagine packing parkas and sweaters, etc.

Besides, i have a feeling that DCL's first AK run is going to be EXPENSIVE.
Subi WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-16-2009, 12:33 AM   #3
DisneyCruiser83
You jump, I jump, Jack!

No, you are not the only one. I have absolutely zero interest in this Alaskan itinerary, and no interest in paying first-run prices for these ports. After a couple years if DCL does a one-way with a land plan (DCL/ABD kind of thing), I will be onboard, but not this time around. But, I love that so many other people are excited to do it, more spaces on the other cruises I want to do will be available! I am also excited that DCL is expanding, no matter the itinerary, so there is something for everyone.

"The sea is His for He made it and His hands formed the dry land." Psalm 95:5
DisneyCruiser83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 12:39 AM   #4
Bareacuda
DIS Veteran

I guess we're all in the same "cold" boat!
I knew about Alaska/Mexico long ago(2007), had to promise not to say a word!
The only thing I was excited about was another PC.

I love my vacations warm too...I lived in cold country and hated it.
Old 09-16-2009, 01:02 AM   #5
disneycruising
DIS Veteran

We have NO interest in doing an Alaska Cruise either. We were really hoping for Hawaii.

I was thinking, maybe the repositioning of the Wonder from LA to Vancouver. But it only makes two stops one in San Fran (40 minutes from my house) and the other is Vancouver. Oh well, leaves me more money for a cruise on the new ship.

May 2002 ~ 4 day Wonder Feb 2003 ~ 7 day Magic/ Eastern May 2004 ~ 7 day Magic/ Western Nov 2004 ~ Thanksgiving on the Magic /Western Double Dip May 2005 ~ 14 day Panama Canal Cruise: "Bringing the Magic to CA" Nov 2005 ~ Thanksgiving on the Magic/ Western Double Dip Apr 2006 ~ Easter on the Magic/ Eastern,Feb 2007 ~ Valentines on the Wonder May 2007~ Transatlantic: Taking the Magic to the Med Oct 2008~ Celebrating Halloween & my birthday with Mickey on the Magic Dec 2009 ~ Christmas in the Parks & New Years on the Wonder Feb 2010 ~ Disneyland & DCA Dec 2010 ~ Jan 2011~ "Surprise" Christmas & New Years on the Magic Mar ~'Mother & Son' do ESPN-the-Weekend April ~'Mom & daughter' Spring Break May ~ Eastbound TransAtlantic Oct ~'Mother & Daughter Cruise' MR Dec 2011 ~ Christmas WDW & New Years on the DreamDec 2012~ Christmas & New Years on the Fantasy Mar 2013~Mom & Daughter Cruise Celebrating DD's HS Graduation Aug 2013~ Trip to WDW to visit our DD in the DCP Dec 2013~ Christmas on the Magic Nov 2014 ~ GIRLS TRIP TO WDW Dec 2014~ CHRISTMAS IN THE PARKS
disneycruising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 01:30 AM   #6
pppiglet
DIS Cast Member
Don't like circle cutters. I am bad with them...as you notice all my pictures are square!
Wears primer to church!

I hear ya! No cold weather vacations for me!
2/12/06 First cruise with Carnival Pride/ Mexican Riviera
6/11/05 First Cruise ever on Disney Magic! Mexican Riviera
11/18/05 First Tag by the Tag Fairy!

pppiglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 01:32 AM   #7
orlandothebeagle
Gotta love the beagles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bareacuda View Post
I guess we're all in the same "cold" boat!
I knew about Alaska/Mexico long ago(2007), had to promise not to say a word!
The only thing I was excited about was another PC.

I love my vacations warm too...I lived in cold country and hated it.
I come from scotland, no thanks, I also have no desire to go to the med either even if it is warm,

4 day Wonder,7 night west Magic,Magical west bound TA,Wonderful panama canal.
orlandothebeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 02:11 AM   #8
tampabrat22
Mouseketeer

Add me to that list!

I'm from FL, I dont even own a jacket or any sweaters for that matter! All I have is a very light cardigan and only wear sandals...I would have to buy a whole new wardrobe!

One day I'd like to see Alaska, but for now the thought of lugging all those thick clothes around and freezing on my vacation (anything under 60 is cold to me!) just doesnt sound even remotely fun!

US/IOA Apr. 2009 TR
tampabrat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 03:33 AM   #9
PizzieDuster
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pppiglet View Post
I hear ya! No cold weather vacations for me!
I hear ya too! No cold vacations for me! No interest whatsoever. Too bad.

But we've almost got our Oasis of Seas dates and staterooms figured out.

I am still waiting for the California cruises. I'd love to sail DCL out of California with
my brother's family and my little nephew.

Great thread.
Royal Carribean - Explorer of the Seas 4/16/06
Royal Carribean - Freedom of the Seas 4/8/07
Returning to the Magic - 6/29/08 - West Coast
Liberty of the Seas - 4/09
Disney Wonder Mother/DD12 Cruise to Nowhere 1/21/11
Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera 1/29/12 Mother/DD13 Cruise (taking Grandma and Nephew DN5 along)
Disney Wonder - 1/24/14 5 Night Wonder {gift}
Disney Fantasy - 3/29/14 Western
PizzieDuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 04:07 AM   #10
mrsklamc
I apologize in advance, but what is a click clack?

It's not cold in Alaska in the summer. Well, at least not far southern AK where the cruise will be. It was 70s and 80s when we went. BUT people who only cruise with Disney are going to miss something amazing by not getting to experience Glacier Bay.
mrsklamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 04:44 AM   #11
queenie82
Queen of the 5 Castles

I know you are the no cold vacations club so don't want the "others" to chime in but it seems there are 2 "boats" of people.
There are you guys....and then
People like me who LOATHE summer more than anything and LOVE winter.
I evacuate Sydney and our 110+ hot and humid summers for the USA and Canada as much as possible. I could do without the -30degrees windchill in Montreal but I LOVE winter.

I have always wanted to do an Alaskan cruise and if I'm going to do one (and to be honest they are all expensive) I'll do it with Disney to get 2 experiences for the price of one.

The one I have ZERO interest in is the Mexican riviera
I'm not even thrilled about Nassau. I'm looking forward to the 3 day cruise!!! But I plan to spend most of the time on the ship while we are there playing with all the goodies on board and getting my included lunch

SO...luckily Disney get the best of both worlds by catering to those who love the cold and those who love stinking hot summers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsklamc
It's not cold in Alaska in the summer. Well, at least not far southern AK where the cruise will be. It was 70s and 80s when we went. BUT people who only cruise with Disney are going to miss something amazing by not getting to experience Glacier Bay.
True True...
Indeed it isn't a proper Alaskan cruise...and missing Glacier bay will be a pity...
But 70s and 80s is much nicer than the 100s
queenie82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 06:29 AM   #12
DisneyDreamerK
Mouseketeer

I am not excited either. I was hoping for Hawaii or some kinda Asian cruise. I LOVE the cold, but the ports don't excite me.
Old 09-16-2009, 06:50 AM   #13
Lisa loves Pooh
DIS Veteran

lol!

I'm kind of the same about carribbean cruises--I live in a warm place. I don't have to go and see an island. I live on one.

To each his own--but I do know people whose idea of fun is not going to a place that resembles a popsicle--even if it is summer there.
Lisa loves Pooh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 07:40 AM   #14
Tri-circle-D
Throwing some love to TCD
They are full and clean!

I'm not excited. I am happy for the people who are. But, I am not at all interested in sailing aboard the Wonder in Alaska.

There are other cruise lines who have been sailing in Alaska for years. They have designed their ships for this purpose. They have established itineraries that work for these types of cruises, and which take their passengers to places that DCL will not.

The Wonder was not built for Alaskan cruises. DCL did not get a permit to go to Glacier Bay, which seems to be one of the places that everyone wants to go on an Alaskan cruise. They have to sail on Tuesdays, because there were no other ship terminals available. They will visit basic tourist trap ports, and the only way you will see anything of interest will be to spend big bucks on excursions.

I know that there is great demand for Alaska, and I have no doubt that the Alaskan cruises will eventually sell out. But, this is not the best way to see Alaska. Not by a long shot.

I love DCL's terminal at Port Canaveral. I love Castaway Cay. I love sailing in warm weather.

I'm not going to Alaska. At least not in 2011 on the Wonder.

And, on top of all that, I will be really sad to see the Wonder go.

I am also sad that when there are four ships, and so many different things happening, our little community here on the Disboards is going to become fractured. There will be people focused only on Alaska, or Mexico, or the Mediterranean, or wherever, and it is sure going to be different. And, I don't think in a good way. It is happening already.

TCD
Tri-circle-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 07:53 AM   #15
disneynewbee
DIS Veteran

Not really interested here either. Don't get me wrong I'm sure it's beautiful but I hate to be cold and I hate being bundled up.

10/2004 ASMo, 11/2006 POP, 10/2009 POP, 11/2012 POP
disneynewbee is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: