Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2009, 04:38 PM   #1
wifey
DIS Veteran

Oh my but it's quiet perfect to celebrate Updated 10/04/09!

Hi there everyone I thought it was time to let you in on how we are and how we got here "CAUTION LONG POST"
Day 1 Sunday 13 September
We had a lazy start to the day after a hectic Saturday spent packing. Lunch was a roast chicken and oven cooked potatoes and gravy.We checked in on line for our flight. Then we watched formula 1 Grand Prix and cleared up and locked the house up. DBIL came to collect us to go to the rail station and in the speedy quiet departure and tryinjg to make sure the neighbours didn't see us go we left dinner behind. Arghh.... so we sat back and tried to enjoy the 2 hr 30 minute journey from our home town to Manchester Airport but due to track repairs we went the long way around once we got there we grabbed some snacks from the railway cafe and shared them out. Eventually we got there to the airport level above and made a decision to walk with out cases to the overnight stay hotel. It worked quite well but we wouldn't do it during the working week. Our room was okay but you needed the room key to operate everything which was annoying. We had noisy neighbours that night (and a very hard bed with soft pillows) and despite earplug use we still heard them so we only had a couple of hours interrupted sleep. We headed down for breakfast at 7:00 a.m. it was delicious full irish and it filled a gap. Then back up to the room and packed up and locked the cases and checked out and caught the shuttle back to the airport the road was crazy busy and we were over to the terminal for 8:00 a.m.. The place was manic ... the quick drop line was gone despite our flight not being due to depart until 10:25 a.m. so we tried to use the quick service kiosk well guess what it wouldn't work despite the airline staffs best attemts another kiosk had to be used and over-rided. At last we went through security and over to the shopping area, I've treated myself to a really cute Swarovski cat face necklace. We spent a little time at the gate and once we were called through we switched our watches to USA time and took some Jet Ease. We took off late due to some straggling passengers but eventually got going. Here's a couple of shots for you ..

That's a good one of land as we flew over South Carolina. The food came a few hours later but to be honest it was darned awful DS and DH wouldn't touch the stuff seriously who wants to eat portugese beef stew and rice when flying anywhere, tea was no better a cheese coleslaw sandwich no other option available So as you can imagine we were very hungry when we landed but we tried to focus on the task ahead and whisked through Customs and Immigration with no problems and made our way to Magical Express there were quite a few of us Brits on the bus which was only shared with Saratoga Springs and Old Key WestWe found ourselves at the hotel in about an hour. The view was great and the CM at the front desk was great Myk was his name and he was very helpful. More to follow keep popping by

Food Report 2009 http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2204927

Trip Report 2009 http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2286975

Trip Report 2007 http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1508500[img]

June 1998 Comfort Inn LBV, November 2000 AS Music Jazz 2510, September 2002 SpringHill Suites MV, February 2004 AS Movies Purdey 4960, June 2005 Comfort Inn LBV, November 2005 Sequoia Lodge DLRP Last trip 21st June 2007 AS Movies,September 2009 First time at Port Orleans French Quarter,Next trip Yacht club (club level)August 2013
Me DH NielDS Ethan

Last edited by wifey; 10-04-2009 at 09:44 AM.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:07 AM   #2
flea1267
DIS Veteran

Can't wait to hear about your trip!

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-22-2009, 09:53 AM   #3
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Looking forward to reading all about your Disney adventures!

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

Old 10-02-2009, 01:08 AM   #4
jockey
Repeat after me....I LOVE CROC's, I LOVE CROC's, I LOVE CROC's!!!!!!

Great start
Old 10-04-2009, 09:39 AM   #5
wifey
DIS Veteran

Tuesday 15th September WITH PHOTOS

Well we tried to get a goodnight's sleep but our heads were still in UK mode despite staying up until 22:30 local time. The folks next door kept going to the bathroom every four minutes what was that all about Anyway despite our best efforts, after being awake at 4:00 a.m., we were wide awake at 6:00 a.m. so Niel took a photo from our room of a lovely sunrise

So we got ready and went down to the food court ( we bought our mugs the night before) we were on the basic dining plan not the quick service one, and then we picked some snacks, those cherry danishes were delicious if a little sloppy in the middle purely due to all of the fruit filling but satisfying washed down with some coffee and that set us up for the morning.

Our destination for the day (chosen for the short park hours needed) was Animal Kingdom. We strolled over to the bus stop and waited for the bus.. oh my those covers are a god send they kept the sun off us while we waited a nice change from the ones at the All Stars I must say. All the staff this morning were in good humour not a grump amongst themWe made it to the park for the opening and waited with the crowd for the little opening show.

It was a fun way to start the day we went straight to Expedition Everest crowds were low and we couldn't believe how many guests were grabbing fast passes when the ride was a walk on quite literally. We all like the ride and of course we had to have the photo Ethan has grown since we last went on it. Each ride we did Ethan took turns to sit with one of us so he ended up sitting with me I don't like heightsWe were okay after we got off the ride and decided to go and see the Maharaja Jungle Trek another favourite, we don't know where everyone else went there was only us in there at the time it was a lovely way to see all the animals before the place got hot and busy and we had the chance to talk to some of the CMs about the animals in their sections.
These guys were chilling out and some were hiding in the long grasses and soaking up the peace.Then we came across the birds and butterflies but the butterflies fluttered from leaf to leaf far too quickly to get a decent shot of them. There were yellow and black ones, orange and black ones and red butterflies too as well as lots of birds it's an ongoing joke in our house that the ducks are "animatronic Disney ducks" it started when Ethan was little and it's stuck. These little guys were posing so nice though we had to take this shot...

Then we made our way over to the gorillas where we love to watch them interact with each other and guests from time to time.... We did notice how much the tamarind monkeys and the cotton tailed monkeys have grown over the years.
Then before we could plan anything else we had an early lunch reservation at Yak and Yeti OMG the food there was outstanding We don't usually eat beef this pink but you know it was sheer perfection on the taste buds and easy to eat too the whole experience was awesome the fresh vegetables and the fruit flavours were mouthwateringly good.Even the sticky rice was good and we both enjoyed the sauce too. If you get the chance to try a meal here we recommend it highly.I think we left a tip of $20 for the CM I think his name was Ethan too but his name badge said Jason and I know I didn't hear him incorrectly.

The pie was mango very light and creamy and the sorbets were mango coconut and vanilla and raspberry each onehad a fresh garnish on the top too just very delicious and not too much to digest after the meal.
From there we did the Safari ... yes we were working our way around the park anti-clockwise and it was still a nice quiet time going to the vehicles and we saw quite a few animals that day including Ankole Cattle

We didn't see the warthogs or the meerKats or some of the smaller deer which was odd but we did see the male lion up on his rock and a couple of cheetah and ostriches and we noticed something unusual the elephant section was screened off. No one mentioned a reason why this was but we did find out later that day.
After the safari we took the train over to Rafiki's Conservation Station and had a look around and met Duncan.. He said the service has been a bit ropey lately
And his friend Dustin I think his name was...

I know we kept seeing these all over the place. One of the sheep had us laughing she was throwing a diva strop because each animal gets a turn to help on stage to show how people and animals can help each other and work together, this particular animal was convinced it was her turn to tread the boards purely so she would get the treats and attention the CMs were saying to her it would be her turn another day but she still grumbled about it to the pigmy goat on the stage it was just priceless Inside the Conservation Station we got talking to a CM who informed us that the vets were analysing the animals and that they were checking the hormone levels on some. The Alpha male big silverback gorilla was being watched, he had just recently had a change of companions is favourite female was too old to breed from and she was "taken out of circulation" and they had found him a new female who had only been there 2-3 months and he had already got her pregnant so they were watching them to see how they were getting along. Another little snippet of news the elephants have just had babies too 2 boys and 2 girls and another boy on the way so that's why the elephant section was screened so the mothers and babies can bond with the group nicely for a while in peace.
We wandered around for a little while and decided to do a couple of other things and I managed to get some locking pin backs from the stall across the way from the Island Mercantile shop. Those things get so hard to find considering how many pins are sold everyday I thought there would have been more on display. After a good day we decided to go on Primeval Whirl we had never don that ride before it was fun and Ethan had a play in the Bone Yard something strange was going on in there.. there were lots of CMs in there with planning maps and rolls of paper and measuring tapes.We only found out when we got home they plan on making some changes there.
We decided to call it a day and left to get the bus to the hotel and picked up some cash from our room to go to DTD for our dinner.The journey from the resort to DTD on the boat was lovely.

Cooke's of Dublin did great fish and chips and mini sausages and chips just DON"T ask for the doughnuts for dessert ours tasted of fish seriously who fries dough in a fish fryer As we had entered the restaurant it had begun to rain by the time we left it was much harder but we had an errand to run groceries from the Hess station behind Planet Hollywood. The driver on the boat told us that the boats will not run in inclement weather but we could catch the bus from behind PH as the one at the Marketplace was closed for two days. Well we tried to cross over the car park which had been dug up leaving a huge hole partially boarded off (no idea why they were digging) and the rain bounced down so we got into the Hess station looking bedraggled and wet and bought our beer and other items we needed (Budweiser Select $5.95 + tax for 6 bottles 355 ml) and headed back to the bus stop... well that particular stop has no cover to protect you from the elements and shares with Old Key West so we waited soaked for 5 minutes to get back to the hotel and then the air con made us even chillier so we were glad to get to the room and retire for the night. All in all a great day and interesting too. More to follow....

June 1998 Comfort Inn LBV, November 2000 AS Music Jazz 2510, September 2002 SpringHill Suites MV, February 2004 AS Movies Purdey 4960, June 2005 Comfort Inn LBV, November 2005 Sequoia Lodge DLRP Last trip 21st June 2007 AS Movies,September 2009 First time at Port Orleans French Quarter,Next trip Yacht club (club level)August 2013
Me DH NielDS Ethan

Last edited by wifey; 10-07-2009 at 07:11 AM.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:47 AM   #6
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Love that sunrise photo. My DD (9) always loves her early-morning "moonwalk" on our first day. For the first few days, we Brits get a real advantage over most other foks for the early-entry parks.

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
Old 10-05-2009, 11:37 AM   #7
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Very nice update! I love the picture of the "hidden" Mickey on the sheep!

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

Old 10-07-2009, 05:29 AM   #8
wifey
DIS Veteran

Hello there sorry I took so long to get back online stuff at home has caught up with me but I'm here for a while now in peace and quiet, Niel is at work and Ethan is back at school.

We were surprised to see other sheep with Ws or Ds on their backs or bottoms too, we have seen insects with white Mickey heads on them from time to time and I'm almost sure one of the goats had a natural mark in it's coat that looked like a Mickey head too on our trip in 2007. We love to see the animals up close and it's great to know they are being so well looked after. It's a shame they can't breed from the tigers there but at least they are happy and healthy.
Now where were we ... sorry our cat's attacking all the receipts and bits of info I had organised Oh yes here we are...

Me DH NielDS Ethan
Old 10-07-2009, 07:03 AM   #9
wifey
DIS Veteran

Wednesday 16th September.

We had an early start to the day again so I asked Niel to go and choose some snacks and grab some coffee while Ethan ate his breakfast in the room. That kid got so into Phineas and Ferb he knew the theme song after two days now if only he could remember his manners so quickly We all got ready for the day, my trusty handbag was Rhino's transport for the trip as well as carrying the usual "MOM" stuff to make sure every eventuality was covered. Each day Rhino was removed from his comfy spot for a game of catch while I went through the bag check line (thank goodness it never took too long). The boys went straight through the no bag lines with no worries.
The park was busy at the front again Main St looked very busy for the time we arrived which was only about 9:15 a.m.
So Niel asked which way did we want to go, AFter taking a look at all the other guests following each other clockwise I said "Let's go anti-clockwise and get on Buzz" it's a family favourite. Niel and Ethan rode together it was a walk on no wait great So I sat in the vehicle behind them and did my thing, they both laughed at my photo at the end until they saw my score 612,000 not bad so that put a stop to their laughter and they both asked "HOW?" I just shrugged it all depends on where you sit and whether the darned thing will work or not on other days I didn't even get above 80,000 so if the ride isn't working correctly you stand no chance. We did find the ride had a breakdown or two later in the trip but what can you do I still have our family's highest score
After there Ethan wanted to go on the Tomorrow land Speedwayso Niel said since there was no queue really we'd go in but Ethan had to ride with me which went down well.

From there we did some of the other rides like Mad Hatter's Tea Cups they span the cup way too fast for me and left me feeling dizzy then they went on the Carousel I didn't go on my head was still spinning from the teacups. After that we popped on the Winnie the Pooh ride (an old favourite from when Ethan was a baby but I doubt he'll ride it again.. he now thinks its okay but a bit young for him) Then Peter Pan and then we decided since it was still early to pop to Columbia Harbour House a favourite place of ours now there was no one in the area and we were just about to go to Haunted Mansion when we noticed CHH was open from 10:30 a.m. and it was 10:35 a.m. so in we went...
It was quiet but everything was ready so we ordered

They were both tasty and fresh the apple crisp was delicious but very filling the sandwich was the Anchors Aweigh Tuna and Mayo with chips very moist but not soggy the shrimp were light and crispy and very yummy but the portion size was just right with the fries and a soda. Ethan had the usual chicken tenders and fries which were real pieces of chicken breast not chopped or shaped in any way and the fries were only lightly salted but good
After we had let that settle for a few minutes we popped over to HM it's one of my favourites and the boys both enjoy it too. I was a little disappointed to see the Liberty boat was no further into it's refurbishment it would have been great to ride it well there's always next timeWe strolled over to Frontierland where the crowds caught back up with us so we headed to Mike Fink's raft to pop over to Tom Sawyer's Island on Ethan's insistance we go over to get some time away from the rest of the park for a while. That was a complete wasted journey the bridge over to the fort Ethan's favourite place was closed of completely no way were any of the guests going to be able to explore the island so we headed back. It amazes me how many idiots never listen to the CMs one teenage boy was sitting somewhere he shouldn't and despite the CM's warning refused to budge until he was told " well we are only looking out for your welfare don't fall of and get chewed by the alligators" to which the lad replied there weren't any "You wanna bet" says the CM "we just had Animal Control from AK over here last week to remove a 5ft one from next to the dock and another one was spotted on Bay Lake just a few days before that" so the daft lad finally gets the message and the CM tells all the guest to keep their hands arms and legs inside the raft and supervise their children. Wow I've never seen a teenager move so fast to get off the raft So we made our way over to the Mercantile store (I like my pins) for a peek at the merchandise and as were were there the boys said they wanted to go on SM and BTMRR so off we went.Again no fastpass was really needed the crowds had all gone for lunch so we walked on SM after getting a FP for BTMRR later in the day so we ended up riding that one twice. I do think though they should improve the lighting in BTMRR queues once you get inside the building where the ramps lead down to the ride it can be difficult to see your feet or anyone else's for that matter.Ethan rode SM with Niel and the BTMRR he took turns with me first and his Dad later in the day. Then on to see the update Hall of Presidents, I wasn't sure about this going in but it was greatly improved to what we had witnessed there before in the past few trips so not a bad experience and a brief history review is always good. We had saved our bottles of water from lunch to drink throughout the afternoon and still had a little left has we headed to POTC which is another family favourite. We loved it before they changed it to suit the films (just like HM) but love the new additions too. Okay I'll admit it I like JD he's a great actor what's not to like The only thing they could have made better would have been the chance to stay aboard the ride like you can at DLRP but I digress. We often end up in the queue on the right hand side of the ride but this time we queued on the left which seemed slightly strange but still enjoyable I love the new mist effect of Davy Jones it works a bit like the water spray ones and "Fantasmic" but you don't get wet which is good.
After that we popped along to The Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor (always good and great air conditioning) The Stitch Encounter and the Carousel of Progress and then headed out of the park to the boat dock for Wilderness Lodge.
The journey was very pleasant and we saw lots of birds and the monorail went past. We had a Dinner Reservation for 5:20 p.m. so we allowed an hour to get there. We were surprised by how many people just expected to walk up and be seated immediately. I checked us in at the podium and almost straight away we were seated and we had a lovely server Jennifer and I could hear grumbles from behind us as were were shown to our table. Now everywhere we went we were asked at some point if we were on the dining plan and had to show our cards so they could check our family entitlements. Jennifer was a hoot and very adorable she asked if we had been before and we said yes and we love the games and antics so she said welcome back. She noticed our anniversary pins and she was fantastic with Ethan I wish I could have brought her home with me. We ordered a Mango Smoothie and a Mega Berry Raspberry Smoothie and Ethan had a Coke (he's not in need of a diet there's not an ounce of fat on him so he eats what he wants to on holiday)and the Canyon Skillet ,Ethan got a chicken one with cookie and fruit salad a good sized portion for a child almost ten years old and she told him if he wanted anything all we needed to do was ask.She then went and took our order to the kitchen, we watched the fun and antics while we waited.
A little while into the meal the Pony Express Ride was due to start so Jennifer asked Ethan to join in but he refused and she noticed he wasn't eating his potatoes so she asked him if he would like fries to which he said "Of course I would like some fries" so she went to get some and again she asked him to join in and again he refused so she said " well I don't believe it I've been so good to you and you don't want to do this one thing for me" and off she went to get this and said he had to stay there until he finished
Then just as we finished our skillet( and second helpings of the meats) Jennifer asked if it would be okay if they did something special for us since it was our anniversary and we said yes, she said it might be a little odd but that something was arranged for us before dessert was to be brought out. We told her it's okay just do what you need to and we'll be good sports about it so off she went and after about ten minutes came back and announced to the restaurant that we were celebrating our 16th Wedding Anniversary and that we had been "going hot and heavy for a while" so we should have a celebratory kiss to show how much we still love each other and handed us two glasses of champagne to toast each other with. So we did as we were told and did the unmentionable a PDA to Ethan's surprise The photo's a little blurry it was taken by a kind volunteer from the next table so if that was you "Thankyou"

this was then followed by these two yummy rich chocolatey slices of heaven which we had asked for to go because we were so full and they survived the journey back to the hotel room intact (amazingly) to be eaten for supper.We left Jennifer a $20 tip for such a great meal and wonderful service we'll be back again in the future. The whole day was good and I remember being told years ago by someone that it often pays in huge dividends to travel the path less travelled and find your own inner peace. Well today certainly was a case of taking the path less travelled and we avoided long lines and queues and saved our sanity too.

Me DH NielDS Ethan

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: