Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2009, 09:59 PM   #31
laura_happy
Earning My Ears

this is great! the pictures are wonderful and so helpful for me, a soon to be first-time cruiser in February. Thanks!
laura_happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 09:48 PM   #32
OurOhana
Mouseketeer

3-night navigators

Obviously everyone got the disboards memo that staying on the ship on Nassau day was a good idea, because we had quite a few people on board with us.

In the morning, we started with room service, as we did all but one day, I believe. Usually, we just got coffee, juice and milk. Plus, I always got a croisant, while everyone else in the family usually had an English muffin. It was just enough to keep us content for breakfast.

DD went to the club and the rest of us went to Triton's for breakfast. It was a better experience for us than it was when we went to Lumineer's for breakfast one day on the Magic. I'll include the few breakfast pics I remembered to take later on with the food posts.

Here are the navigator's for the 3-night. I'll post the 4-night navigator in a separate post.

A few things I'd suggest - I would definitely do the shows. We did all of the shows the first trip, and skipped them the second cruise. Of course, doing dinner and a show on the cruise means a good 2 1/2 hours or more are taken up. More if you count the little bit of down time between them. Essentially, we were tied up from 5:45 p.m. for first seating through about 9:15 or 9:30. After that, it was pretty much bed time for us some night because our daughter is still used to an early bed time.

The last cruise we were on was during a cold chill. So we missed the sailing away party. I didn't want to miss it again. So after the safety drill, we headed up stairs.
TIP - Even if it looks busy, look around to see if there is room in the pool area. We found that many people had seats on the outside, but there were areas we could sit down at the edge of the pool (which they cover for the party) It made it easy to jump up and dance, and sit down when we were tired. It was a really neat sailaway part. I'd recommend going if you can.

On the last day of the cruise, after Castaway Cay, we were just hot and tired. We came back from the beach, used the showers outside and near the hottubs and then jumped in the goofy pool. It felt so good after walking around the beach for a while. We were with another couple and their child that we met on the January cruise. We all decided to skip dinner that night and let the girls eat outside on Deck 9. We all ate there. That allowed us to go to the 6:15 or 6:30 show, which we again loved. We were all able to go to bed a little earlier that night.

Next up: Back-to-back process

HAL Maasdam Feb. 16, 2003 * HAL Zuiderdam Sept. 7, 2003
DCL Magic Jan. 31, 2009 * DCL Wonder Sept. 17, 2009 * DCL Wonder Sept. 20, 2009 * DCL Fantasy Apr. 27, 2013

OurOhana is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-27-2009, 10:09 PM   #33
thatgrrl
Mouseketeer

Hey! Our daughters (and us) were doing computers together the first day -- 9/17 -- in the kids club.

We were in our own matching shirts.
thatgrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 07:11 PM   #34
OurOhana
Mouseketeer

Argh. It was the first day back at work, and instead I wanted to be sitting on deck 4 feeling the breeze all day. But that won't happen again for a while. So instead, I'll just enjoy the memories while I wright this report.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laura_happy View Post
this is great! the pictures are wonderful and so helpful for me, a soon to be first-time cruiser in February. Thanks!
Thank you. I'm glad you're enjoying it. I really loved reading TRs before our first cruise to give me an idea of what to expect, so I'm glad mine is being helpful. Don't hesitate to ask if you have questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatgrrl View Post
Hey! Our daughters (and us) were doing computers together the first day -- 9/17 -- in the kids club.

We were in our own matching shirts.
I remember! How did you enjoy your cruise? Did your daughter have a blast, I hope?

DCL Magic Jan. 31, 2009 * DCL Wonder Sept. 17, 2009 * DCL Wonder Sept. 20, 2009 * DCL Fantasy Apr. 27, 2013

Old 09-28-2009, 09:54 PM   #35
OurOhana
Mouseketeer

Back-toBack cruises

I've posted part of this on another thread comparing 3, 4 and 7 night cruises and pros and cons of Back-to-back cruises. Plus, I've added some stuff.

So the last night of the cruise, we got a note in our room and a call to let us know to meet at Guest Services at 9:15 a.m. the next day to get off the ship.

There was only one couple aside from us doing back-to-backs. We had to wait a little while to get off because for some reason they were a little slower clearing the boat. A lot of people seemed to be sitting around waiting for something. Not sure what. The DCL folks seemed surprised by the delay. Not a big deal. We got off sometime after 9:30 a.m., I’d say.
A DCL crew member walked with us through customs and back up to the port area. They told us we’d be checked on in a little bit. But then I think they forgot us until the other couple asked about getting checked on (they already begun checking others on at this point.) As soon as they asked, DCL checked us in, took our pics and walked us back on board.
Some of the doors were locked down, I guess for testing, so we couldn’t get back into our room right away. We went to Cove Café, as we were told to do on our note. They said kids could go there as well until others started to board the boat. But some crew members were enjoying the area, and the guy working there didn’t seem to get the memo that we were supposed to come there. He said our daughter wasn’t supposed to be there, and he didn’t want to give us a couple glasses of water (instead, wanted to sell us drinks.) We explained we were doing back-to-backs, so he gave us the glasses of water. And then we decided to head out so our daughter wouldn’t disturb anyone. Plus, we had heard by then that the test they were doing with the doors was over, so we figured we could get in our room.
A CM had to open the main door to our walkway, so then we were good to go. At about 11:45 we headed down to Parrot Cay for lunch. We were the first ones in there, and it was really nice.
And because we were Back-to-Back cruisers (at least that’s what they told us) we had special gifts every day in our room.

We came back to a nice fruit bowl the first day:

ookies another day (though I forgot to take a pic before we ate them. We took them into a movie with us.)

A cheese platter:

And finally a chocolate, dessert platter:

It was just very thoughtful, and helped make our trip even more special.

Also, the last night of the 3-night cruise, we took our tips to the dining staff. We had only gone in one day. (we did Palo another day, and the CC day we went to an early show instead of early dining so we could get to bed earlier. We just had dinner out on deck 9 while our daughter swam and played with one of her friends.) So anyway, the head server seemed very worried that we hadn’t returned since the first night. He said he could come eat breakfast at anytime the next morning, so we wouldn’t have to get up so early. And when I asked if we could select our rotation and asked what our options were, he said, “What would you like.” And then he gave us that rotation (Tritons, Animator’s Palate, Animator’s Palate and Parrot Cay.) He was great the rest of the trip as well, and I’ll mention him quite a bit in the dining part of this report.
If we had wanted to add or change a Palo reservation, we could have done that the last night of the cruise too. We wanted to cancel ours, since we had already gone on the first one. It was easy to change.

Pros of Back-to-Back
--You really get to know the crew, and they are some wonderful people. We enjoyed getting to know each of them better.
--DCL was very nice about giving us little treats. Not sure if they do it every time, but we loved it.
--Since you can see each show twice, you can also choose to do other things. So we saw the shows on our first cruise, and then on the second cruise we spent time swimming at night, going to other activities and just overall enjoying relaxing times.
--Two stops at Castaway Cay, which we loved!

Cons
--Two life jacket drills
--You kind of lose a good portion of one day because all of the services are shut down as people are leaving the boat.

Last edited by OurOhana; 09-28-2009 at 10:17 PM.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:04 PM   #36
OurOhana
Mouseketeer

4-night Navigators

We spent time the first cruise doing the shows, but there wasn't a ton of time for a lot of activities in two short days away.

So this one we saw two movies - Up and G-Force, both in 3-D. We also saw a couple of shows - the Match your Mate show (sort of the Newlyweds game - It was really cute. We also went to a trivia show called Mickey Mania, where families and the audience answer questions. And we did the galley tour (I have pics to post separately.) And the final day, my mom and I went to the spa. Since we didn't feel like we had to see the shows again, we also spent one evening swimming at night. It was really fun.

Old 09-29-2009, 06:40 PM   #37
LC30
DIS Veteran

Kelli, Hello! I loved that you posted the navigators on here I'm glad you guys had a good experience with Oceaneers for DD because we had an ok experience with it for DS. He didn't like it as much although the CMs seemed engaged when we first dropped him off, we were disappointed to see that he was on his own and not looking too happy when we picked him up both times. The only saving grace was he got to be a mousesketeer with Mickey and he got to do si do with Snow White. I'm still working on my trip report too. Work has been crazy since I got back. ARGH! I'm with you....sitting on the beach in CC with a drink in hand would be so much better.
4 Night Disney Wonder May 2009 - First Disney Cruise
WDW + MVMCP Dec 2008, WDW + MNSSHP Oct 2008, WDW April 2001

LC30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 07:08 PM   #38
OurOhana
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC30 View Post
Kelli, Hello! I loved that you posted the navigators on here I'm glad you guys had a good experience with Oceaneers for DD because we had an ok experience with it for DS. He didn't like it as much although the CMs seemed engaged when we first dropped him off, we were disappointed to see that he was on his own and not looking too happy when we picked him up both times. The only saving grace was he got to be a mousesketeer with Mickey and he got to do si do with Snow White. I'm still working on my trip report too. Work has been crazy since I got back. ARGH! I'm with you....sitting on the beach in CC with a drink in hand would be so much better.
Hi Linda. Yes, CC would be much better than work. And we had beautiful weather here today, it made me think of the Bahamas all the more.

I'm sorry to hear you weren't happy with the club. I've heard similar comments before about CMs engaging children. DD is pretty outgoing, so it's not usually much of an issue for us. And in general, she wasn't in there as much this time as last, probably partly because the weather was nicer than time and we could swim more. I wish I had known your DS wasn't having as much fun, I would have made sure to have DD in there the same time so they could have played together.

I'm looking forward to reading your report. Thanks for visiting mine.

Old 09-29-2009, 10:09 PM   #39
caribear
I love WDW!

Sounds like you had a wonderful trip!! Thanks for sharing your trip report with us!

We were on the Wonder when my DD was 3 and had a bad experience with Oceaneers. No interaction with my DD from the CM's...and they even "lost" her at one point. I went to pick her up one evening and they could not find her. They kept saying "Oh, I think I know who you are talking about." We kept looking everywhere.....my heart was beating so fast and I was begining to cry....finally after about 15 minutes they found her asleep behind the TV set in the first room!! We never brought her back after that and she didn't want to go back either. Since then we have been on Princess and RCCL and she loves their clubs. I think it was the fact that there were so many kids and not enough CM's to engage the children.
Disney Dream 01/29/2012 RCCL Navigator of the Seas 4-night Western Caribbean 2/17/2011 RCCL Oasis of the Seas 11/6/2010 - an incredible family vacation!!
Disney Magic 2/6/10 - Western Caribbean 8 night adventure!, Disney Wonder - Bahamas 5/06, Caribbean Princess- Eastern Caribbean 12/05, Adventure of the Seas - Southern Caribbean 12/01, Sovereign of the Seas - Pre-Honeymoon cruise 03/01, Carnival Sensation- Western Caribbean 9/98
caribear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 10:23 PM   #40
LC30
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurOhana View Post
Hi Linda. Yes, CC would be much better than work. And we had beautiful weather here today, it made me think of the Bahamas all the more.

I'm sorry to hear you weren't happy with the club. I've heard similar comments before about CMs engaging children. DD is pretty outgoing, so it's not usually much of an issue for us. And in general, she wasn't in there as much this time as last, probably partly because the weather was nicer than time and we could swim more. I wish I had known your DS wasn't having as much fun, I would have made sure to have DD in there the same time so they could have played together.

I'm looking forward to reading your report. Thanks for visiting mine.
Thanks. I know. It would have been great for them to play in there together. But it was fine overall, we only left him there 2x - for palo dinner and brunch. The rest of the cruise was just one big party for him.

This is my way of keeping up with you. Since you were one of the first trip reports I read to help me with our first Disney cruise back in May. Tell Bryan and Pauline, I said "hello"
4 Night Disney Wonder May 2009 - First Disney Cruise
WDW + MVMCP Dec 2008, WDW + MNSSHP Oct 2008, WDW April 2001

LC30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 09:42 PM   #41
mrsmg
Earning My Ears

[SIZE="2"[/SIZE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OurOhana View Post
To help me (and hopefully others) navigate this trip report a little better, I’ll update the index on this first post as I move along. I’m also doing this more by topic, than by day though I'm trying to do it in some order. But I’m sure I’ll forget something and want to add it later. Because of things I'll likely add late, and since I have a lot of photos for some things, some topics may have more than one post number.

INDEX
**Back-to-Back process and thoughts (Page 3, Post 35)
**Door magnets (Page 2, Post 22)
**Embarkation (Page 1, Posts 5 and 13)
**Kids' Club thoughts and pics (Page 2, Post 17)
**Navigators (Page 3, Posts 32 and 36)
**Parrott Cay Embarkation lunch (Page 1, Post 14; and Page 2, Post 16)
**Swimming Pools (Page 2, Post 29)
**T-shirts (Page 2, Post 21)

------------------------------------------------------------------

Aloha

On Thursday, we’ll be on the DCL for back-to-back cruises – and we can’t wait. I thought I’d get the report started ahead of time.

OurOhana:
Me

DH

DD(4)

DG (My mom, but more important - DD’s grandma)

First cruise: We went on the Magic Jan. 31-6, and loved it!!!

Second/third cruise: We received the $99 bounce-back offer per person when we booked for our first cruise. So we decided to go on our 3-night cruise (which is the bounce-back deal) and add a 4-night cruise. We leave Sept. 17 and then take the second cruise Sept. 20.

We decided pretty soon after returning from our first Disney cruise that we needed to return. While the economy has been rough, the bounce back offer was huge for us. But the thought of three days just didn’t seem long enough – so we added the other cruise.

Then DH thought – why not bring my mom. Yes, my DH wanted to bring his mother-in-law along. We’re going to be staying in a category 4, but it’s going to be a bit tight in the room (it’s the same category we stayed in the last time.)

So our daughter still doesn’t know about the cruise. We have used our office to pack our bags – and tried to do everything while she was in the bath or sleeping (yes, I encouraged really, really long baths so I could sneak into her room to get her clothes out.) She’s been wondering where her favorite shoes disappeared to. I’ve blamed it on her messy room.

While DD will be ecstatic when she learns about the cruise- which hopefully won’t happen until Thursday morning – she’s going to be beside herself when she learns grandma is coming. This is a child who was pretty sure for a long time that Cinderella’s godmother was actually Cinderella’s grandmother. It might have something to do with the fact that DD’s grandma gives her everything she wants – I’m just guessing.

So now with DD, who is always entertaining, and my mom, who doesn’t mean to be entertaining but can’t help herself, we’re set for our next big adventure.

We're pretty well packed. After reading the disboards, we purchased some packing cubes from ebags. They helped us save some space. So far, I like them. We've purchases all of our fish extender gifts (we're doing the fish extender exchange on our second cruise - it seemed easier on a four-night.) And we'll be meeting up with the couple and their daughter who we ate with on our January cruise. We met them on that cruise, and became friends. It was nice that we could arrange another cruise together so our daughters, the same age, could see each other again.

I’m hoping we get tons of pictures this time around, we even have an underwater camera now, which has worked well when we went to the pool.

Thanks for reading.

By the way, if anyone has questions ahead of time about cruising, DCL or the Wonder - please let me know. We can try to find the answers while we're on the ship, if possible!
I have always wanted to do back to back cruises. My question is, do they allow you to keep the same room for both cruises and do you have to leave the ship while they "tidy up" for the next cruise?
mrsmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 10:39 PM   #42
OurOhana
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribear View Post
Sounds like you had a wonderful trip!! Thanks for sharing your trip report with us!

We were on the Wonder when my DD was 3 and had a bad experience with Oceaneers. No interaction with my DD from the CM's...and they even "lost" her at one point. I went to pick her up one evening and they could not find her. They kept saying "Oh, I think I know who you are talking about." We kept looking everywhere.....my heart was beating so fast and I was begining to cry....finally after about 15 minutes they found her asleep behind the TV set in the first room!! We never brought her back after that and she didn't want to go back either. Since then we have been on Princess and RCCL and she loves their clubs. I think it was the fact that there were so many kids and not enough CM's to engage the children.
I'm sorry to hear about that. I hope you talked to management while you were on the cruise, or wrote to someone when you got off. While I think DCL is good for kids in a larger group setting, they definitely don't seem to be a lot about smaller ratios. That being said, I did see the counselors interact with my child and others a lot while I was in there. But I've heard stories similar to yours and LC30's quite a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmg View Post
[SIZE="2"[/SIZE]

I have always wanted to do back to back cruises. My question is, do they allow you to keep the same room for both cruises and do you have to leave the ship while they "tidy up" for the next cruise?
Hi there. We were able to keep the same room. At least, that's how we arranged it. I don't know that you could do that for sure if you're in in a gty room or whatever they call them where they guarantee you a type of room, but not a specific one. For us, it was perfect since we didn't have to pack up in between.

We did leave the ship for about an hour. They escorted us off, and then we just had to wait for everyone to be cleared and they checked us back in and let us on right away. We were off between about 9:30 and 10:30. We saw people arriving for the next cruise and starting to check in.

Hope that helps. And thank you for reading!

Old 10-02-2009, 10:06 PM   #43
OurOhana
Mouseketeer

Breakfast and lunch

I didn't get copies of any of the breakfast or lunches, but I did remember a few pictures (not a lot for these, unfortunately.)

First up, the sit down breakfast in Triton's: (In general, I love my carbs, but I can't say the pancakes or waffles were all that great. The omlets were pretty good. I had a couple on this trip.)

And then I did remember to get one of the last Parrot Cay brunches. It was similar to when we embarked, but something different. The biggest change was they had sushi. I thought it was pretty good.

Next up: Dinner menus and pics

Old 10-03-2009, 10:02 PM   #44
OurOhana
Mouseketeer

Dinner -Tritons

Our servers on the Wonder were really great. Witt, the head server, was fantastic. We even wrote a long note to Disney the last night to comment on how much he went out of his way for us.

Because we missed two of the dinners on the first cruise, he was worried that we weren't happy with the food. Our memory from our first DCL cruise was that the food wasn't great, but we remembered we thought the beef meals were pretty good, and we knew we could ask for no sauces or double entrees if we wanted.

Witt offered to get us anything from any of the menus if we weren't happy with a menu. So there are times we didn't have much on the menu. I'll explain as I post.

I apologize ahead of time that I forgot to get pictures that night of the entrees. Not sure what I was thinking, other than about eating I did a bit better other nights

I got the shrimp appetizer (and as you can see,) the shrimp were a decent size. The sauce was maybe mayo-based. They also served that sauce on the buffets, or something pretty similar.

DH got the mushroom tart. He thought it was OK

My mom and I got the onion soup

I ordered the lamb, and asked for the lobster mac and cheese for my mom and I to share. Both meals were good.

DH got the lamb and tenderloin. My mom also got the tenderloin. DH didn't like the sauce on the beef, but no complaints from my mom.

I know we got dessert, but when I asked at the guest services desk for copies of the menus, they forgot to give us the dessert menus. No big deal, they were great about making us copies in the first place. But now I don't remember what we ate. I remembered thinking it was pretty good.

Overall, it was a good meal and the service was great.

Last edited by OurOhana; 10-03-2009 at 10:34 PM.
Old 10-03-2009, 10:23 PM   #45
OurOhana
Mouseketeer

Dinner -Animator's Palate

And here's the next night. Now, on this night, the entrees really didn't sound great to us. Witt, our server, got us ribeyes from the Parrot Cay dining room. Again, I can't say enough how nice he was.

My mom and I got the tart, very good

DH got the risotto:

Mom and I tried the squash soup, but it wasn't great

DH asked for just a salad with blue cheese dressing, which they were happy to provide

We all got steaks from the Parrot Cay menu (This is one without the sauce, which is what DH wanted. I got sauce on mine.) It was a good tasting steak.

DESSERT
When it came to dessert time, our server, Savio from India, went above and beyond. Every night he brought out extra desserts for us to try. We never asked for any of them. But I'm glad he did, because some of those were great and i wouldn't have thought to try them.

Since I wasn't sure what I'd like, if any of them, I decided to go safe and just ask for some chocolate ice cream with chocolate sauce. My mom had asked for ice cream the night before, and had asked for nuts that night.

Without even being asked for nuts this night, he ran to another restaurant to get some

DH asked Savio to pick something for him, so Savio brought him the apple crumble, which was really really good. (And I'm not even much into those.) The apples were firm, not mushy at all.

They also gave us the trio desserts, strawberry sable, cranberry orange cheesecake and chocolate cake

Our DD had come with us to dinner that night. (We had to drag her there most nights for at least a little bit to eat. She would rather be in the club. So after she had her dinner, DH took her to the club after she was done. When Savio realized she was gone, he brought us a little something to take back to the room for her later (So sweet and thoughful.)

Last edited by OurOhana; 10-03-2009 at 10:37 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: