Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2009, 02:43 PM   #1
jodifla

DIS Veteran

Are the DCL boats really equipped for a good Alaskan cruise??

I wonder about things like swimming pools and such being outside when I seek chunks of ice in the water in June.

Aren't many of the boats that cruise Alaska now specially outfitted for Alaska?
jodifla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 02:46 PM   #2
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

The Wonder is going into drydock this October so can have any changes done then.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-15-2009, 02:47 PM   #3
jodifla

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbgraves View Post
The Wonder is going into drydock this October so can have any changes done then.
So, what kind of things do you think will be done?
jodifla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 02:58 PM   #4
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

Beyond what has been reported with putting the viewing area above the Cove Cafe noone knows. We only have until 10/17 to find out though when it comes out.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 03:08 PM   #5
Tri-circle-D
Throwing some love to TCD
They are full and clean!

This may have already been posted somewhere on the Disboards, but this is an excerpt from an email that I received from Disney:

To prepare for the Alaska sailings, a brand-new venue called Outlook Café will be added to the Disney Wonder during dry dock in October. Located high atop deck 10, the 2,500-square-foot Outlook Café is a stylish retreat for guests to relax and enjoy a beverage or cocktail as they peer out through floor-to-ceiling, curved glass windows at breathtaking vistas. The design of Outlook Café is sophisticated with contemporary Art Deco inspiration. An elegant spiral staircase connects Outlook Café with the existing Cove Café one deck below. The 65-seat lounge has a granite-topped cocktail bar with comfortable seating throughout the space, all providing picture-perfect views of the surrounding landscapes.

This is interesting in that this modification is going to presumably be made now, is 2009, in anticipation of cruises that aren't taking place until 2011. It also suggests that this is the only big change that will be made before sailing off to Alaska. There are not currently any other times blocked off where any major modifications could be made to the ship. Of course, DCL could cancel some cruises in the Fall of 2010 to create time, or they could attempt to complete construction projects while passengers are aboard. But, if they have any such plans, they have not been mentioned.

So, DCL will be sending a 10+ year old ship that was designed to sail the Caribbean to Alaska, rigged with a new 2500 foot observation lounge, to compete against newer ships designed to sail Alaskan waters?

Good luck with that.

TCD
Tri-circle-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 03:16 PM   #6
Pluto,
DIS Veteran

it doesnt matter to them they will fill the ships.
Pluto, is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 03:34 PM   #7
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

We cruised Alaska on HAL's Amsterdam. Yes the ship does have a cover over the pool in the center of the ship, but it was only closed at night, and you didn't view the glaciers from there. Everyone was out on the open decks. They handed out large blankets to everyone, and staff were stationed around those open decks dishing up piping hot soup, coffee, tea and hot chocolate.
So to be competitive, all Disney has to do is buy about 2700 blankets, and a couple of soup pots.

Our favorite picture from the cruise is of the 4 of us, the the outdoor uncovered pool heated to 85 degrees, steam rising up on a 30 something degree day, with the Hubbard glacier in the background.
Old 09-15-2009, 04:34 PM   #8
wdwwishes
DIS Veteran

I'm thinking that not many folks are going to be on this one for the swimming. I doubt DCL would go to the trouble to add covers to the pool 1.) how would they cover the Mickey Pool 2.) covering the Goofy pool obstructs the view of the Ariel screen 3.) I'm sure they wouldn't cover the "grown up" pool and invite the kids back there. They could heat the pool and add some external heaters to try to warm the areas around the pools but gain, my guess it that not many folks will be swimming. I'm sure they'll plan more deck activities and indoor things.
A.K.L. 2008, 2011
Poly 2009
Wilderness Lodge 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014
The Wonder 2007, 2009, 2011
The Fantasy 2013
The Dream 2014
The Magic 2015
wdwwishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 04:47 PM   #9
clten
DIS Veteran

When we cruised Alaska with Princess, there was one indoor pool (think it was by/in the adult spa area). We never saw these being used. The outdoor pools were heated and there were the outdoor hot tubs. These were in constant use. So I don't think Disney needs to make any major renovations to cruise Alaska. Like tvguy said as long as they have blankets and hot liquids, that's what most people are going to be looking for on glacier cruising day.
clten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 06:09 PM   #10
sharen24
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-circle-D View Post
This may have already been posted somewhere on the Disboards, but this is an excerpt from an email that I received from Disney:

To prepare for the Alaska sailings, a brand-new venue called Outlook Café will be added to the Disney Wonder during dry dock in October. Located high atop deck 10, the 2,500-square-foot Outlook Café is a stylish retreat for guests to relax and enjoy a beverage or cocktail as they peer out through floor-to-ceiling, curved glass windows at breathtaking vistas. The design of Outlook Café is sophisticated with contemporary Art Deco inspiration. An elegant spiral staircase connects Outlook Café with the existing Cove Café one deck below. The 65-seat lounge has a granite-topped cocktail bar with comfortable seating throughout the space, all providing picture-perfect views of the surrounding landscapes.

This is interesting in that this modification is going to presumably be made now, is 2009, in anticipation of cruises that aren't taking place until 2011. It also suggests that this is the only big change that will be made before sailing off to Alaska. There are not currently any other times blocked off where any major modifications could be made to the ship. Of course, DCL could cancel some cruises in the Fall of 2010 to create time, or they could attempt to complete construction projects while passengers are aboard. But, if they have any such plans, they have not been mentioned.

So, DCL will be sending a 10+ year old ship that was designed to sail the Caribbean to Alaska, rigged with a new 2500 foot observation lounge, to compete against newer ships designed to sail Alaskan waters?

Good luck with that.

TCD
LOL! Well at least we know that 65 people will have a warm place to view the glaciers.
sharen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 06:14 PM   #11
sharen24
DIS Veteran

I definitely feel that other cruiselines have ships that are much better suited for Alaska. Disney is the 1st cruiseline that I have sailed on where you don't have a view of the water from the dining rooms. Other cruiselines have built ships with public areas that have huge windows for viewing the scenery in comfort. None of this will matter though. DCL will still sell out because it is DCL.
Old 09-15-2009, 06:21 PM   #12
over50visits
DIS Veteran

We cruised Alaska in June on Carnival. The same ship they use the rest of the year in tropical cruises, so they just closed the swimming pools. They didn't need any special Alaska modifications that I could tell. It was interesting, the night clubs were pretty quiet at night; the crew told me it was a very different crowd from their partying southern routes in the winter and spring.

Anyway, we had a balcony, and stood out there for a couple of hours looking at glaciers. It wasn't cold; I think we may have worn a light jacket, but I don't remember thinking it was cold. Plenty of people with inside cabins just went up to many of the decks that had enclosed viewing, as well as out on the deck. Summer was warm enough it didn't seem to be much of an issue.

But it would be fun to be one of the special 65 who get the bird's eye view from a comfortable lounge with picture windows.
over50visits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 06:28 PM   #13
sharen24
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by over50visits View Post
We cruised Alaska in June on Carnival. The same ship they use the rest of the year in tropical cruises, so they just closed the swimming pools. They didn't need any special Alaska modifications that I could tell. It was interesting, the night clubs were pretty quiet at night; the crew told me it was a very different crowd from their partying southern routes in the winter and spring.

Anyway, we had a balcony, and stood out there for a couple of hours looking at glaciers. It wasn't cold; I think we may have worn a light jacket, but I don't remember thinking it was cold. Plenty of people with inside cabins just went up to many of the decks that had enclosed viewing, as well as out on the deck. Summer was warm enough it didn't seem to be much of an issue.

But it would be fun to be one of the special 65 who get the bird's eye view from a comfortable lounge with picture windows.
At least the Carnival Spirit has enclosed viewing areas.
Old 09-15-2009, 06:53 PM   #14
webray
Love the wineauxs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharen24 View Post
LOL! Well at least we know that 65 people will have a warm place to view the glaciers.
Hubby and I laughed at this also. 65 person lounge, are you kidding me. Anyone on the first PC crossing knows that isn't going to work..ugh.
Old 09-15-2009, 07:07 PM   #15
cats mom
Mouseketeer

Has a wild and vivid imagination

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharen24 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by webray View Post
Hubby and I laughed at this also. 65 person lounge, are you kidding me. Anyone on the first PC crossing knows that isn't going to work..ugh.

Yep, some folks were great, others not so much.

I just had flashbacks of the groups who tried to arrange deck chairs so they blocked anyone else from getting near "their" spot on deck.

I really wonder what you'll have to do to score a seat in Outlook Cafe.
cats mom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: