Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2009, 10:42 AM   #31
NeverlandClub23
Jon Bon Jovi's secret lover
I miss the big talking pile of leaves and trash
It makes me laugh to sing it like a drunk old man would sing it

Oh, also try the local car and RV lots. I worked at an RV dealership as a receptionist for a few years and every time a kid came in selling anything the sales guys would buy it up (and some customers too). Being in sales themselves they always said it wasn't what the kid was selling but that they had the courage to come in and ask in the first place.
Old 09-16-2009, 12:09 PM   #32
3boymthr
DIS Veteran

Crazy question. I know you live in a rural area, but do you live anywhere near a major football stadium (like within a 1 hr drive). My cousin raised $2,500 in the hours before a game started by hitting up the people who were tail-gating in just one parking lot at Gillette (they have 40 parking lots). Since will have the popcorn available for them to take with home you could seriously sell it all in a couple of hours. Drunk people are generous .
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-16-2009, 02:00 PM   #33
Pooh_Friend#1
Check out my year round tan!

I love their popcorn. To me it tastes better than the other brands of microwave popcorn. Unfortunately I haven't had any cub scouts come to my door this year. I didn't realize it was that time already.
Pooh_Friend#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 02:13 PM   #34
disneyeveryyear
Not fully packed until she gets on the plane and then there’s always Wal-Mart!
Disney Lover!!!! (I think I am addicted to exclamation points!)

Popcorn Kernel for our Troop here.

Sounds like you have a lot of great advice. The only thing I would suggest, is make sure your boys are in uniform, with shirt tucked in, neckerchief on, no major wrinkles, etc.

People are a sucker for uniforms.

I really like your ability to have the product and sell it immediately. We do pre-orders and it can be a pain in the fanny. It took me hours last year to get the orders sorted and then 4 more hours the next day to get the boys to come pick them up.
Old 09-16-2009, 02:23 PM   #35
tink_lover
POLKA PRINCESS

My Girl Scout set up a table at a local car wash - with permission of course. She and one other girl sold out of their cookies in about an hour.
Old 09-20-2009, 05:34 PM   #36
rumrunnergirl
DIS Veteran

Last edited by rumrunnergirl; 10-20-2011 at 11:11 AM.
rumrunnergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 05:49 PM   #37
gasperdam
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraPA View Post

Sounds like maybe they should choose a less expensive trip to work towards!
That's not really fair, I would guess that almost ALL cub scouts are REQUIRED to sell popcorn. I know 2 of my sons are cub scouts and they have to sell popcorn every year. Its manadatory for them, and it's their big fundraiser of the year. And they DON'T go on any expensive trips, they go camping in the area, last year they went to a local Iron Pigs baseball game and the year before they went to a museum in Philadelphia.

gasperdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 06:40 PM   #38
GaSleepingBeautyFan
DIS Veteran

I won't let my kids sell Door to Door so what I did was give popcorn as gifts one year to everyone I needed to get gifts for including the kids teachers.

The next year most of those people bought popcorn from DS because they liked it so I was able to meet his sales goals. Luckily. Because I sure wasn't buying all that for myself. LOL

Connie

WDW: 15 family trips, 8 solo trips - resorts stayed at: AKL, BWI, CR, WL (2), CBR, CSR, POFQ (3), POP (2), POR (5) ASMo, ASMu
DISNEYLAND: 1 family trip, 2 1 day trips chaperoning
US/IOA: 5 family trips
GaSleepingBeautyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 06:59 AM   #39
Indiana Rose Lee
Baby Factory Extraordinaire! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasperdam View Post
That's not really fair, I would guess that almost ALL cub scouts are REQUIRED to sell popcorn. I know 2 of my sons are cub scouts and they have to sell popcorn every year. Its manadatory for them, and it's their big fundraiser of the year. And they DON'T go on any expensive trips, they go camping in the area, last year they went to a local Iron Pigs baseball game and the year before they went to a museum in Philadelphia.
I think that they were talking about a trip, to wdw. That is expensive.
Indiana Rose Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 07:12 AM   #40
TaraPA
I will think of that animatronic as him
I also wouldn't mind if they made it racier!The germs would just skeeve me out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasperdam View Post
Are you kidding me? The OP clearly stated they were trying to raise funds through the popcorn sale for WDW! They OP said Ft Wilderness, park tickets and transportation! I'm all for camping trips, local trips, etc. but I don't think anyone, Cub Scouts or any other group, should expect to go to WDW for a group trip & have others pay for it by buying things through a fundraiser!

Poly/AKV Girls Trip 3/14**AKV Kidani Girls Trip 12/13 **BWI CL/CSR BC Dane's surprise 13th birthday 8/13**BWV Girls Trip 4/13**WL CL/AKV Jambo family trip 3/13**CSR surprising family trip 12/12**POR Girls Trip 10/12 ** BC CL/Dolphin Family Trip 3/12** BCV/Poly Girls Trip 3/12**AKV Kidani 11/11 Girls Trip! **Dolphin 3/11 family trip ** Swan - 3/11 GIRLS TRIP!**AKV Kidani Girls Trip 10/10!**Dolphin 2/10- ESPN Weekend/family trip**BLT 11/09 Girls Trip** Dolphin 12/08 Girls Trip**Solo trip/offsite 05/08** Dolphin 12/07 mom & Dane trip**AKL 12/06 family trip**AS Music 11/02 mom & Ty trip**Disneyland - Anaheim Hilton 5/02 adults only!** AS Sports 9/01 family trip**Swan 10/00 family trip**CSR 10/99 family trip**offsite 1989,1987, 1970's
[/SIZE]

Last edited by TaraPA; 09-21-2009 at 07:14 AM. Reason: typo
TaraPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 07:32 AM   #41
WendyisDarling
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebuzz View Post
Also, new this year, you can print out a tax deductible form if the want to donate popcorn for the military. It is a form that you can print out at home and give it to them right away.
This is the best idea I've read. I would be way more responsive to the popcorn sales if the kids did this.
I hate to admit on this thread, but I usually turn away the Scouts selling popcorn. I really don't like it. Plus, everybody is selling stuff this time of year. Schools all do their fundraisers now, girl scouts sell nuts, boy scouts sell popcorn, many school clubs are trying to raise money for the year. It just gets to be too much. I have to pick and choose which to participate and feel so bad to turn away kids, but I can't buy from everyone. But, if I could donate to the military and get a small tax deduction, I would choose the popcorn over some of the other stuff I like only slightly better.

I believe OP wrote popcorn is the only fundraiser her kids participate in. If they said something about that, too, I would be more interested. With so many others I know they will ask me again in a few months.

Good luck with your sales.
WendyisDarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 09:02 AM   #42
mrsbornkuntry
I'm worried about raccoons
I carry a diaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraPA View Post
Are you kidding me? The OP clearly stated they were trying to raise funds through the popcorn sale for WDW! They OP said Ft Wilderness, park tickets and transportation! I'm all for camping trips, local trips, etc. but I don't think anyone, Cub Scouts or any other group, should expect to go to WDW for a group trip & have others pay for it by buying things through a fundraiser!
I can see your point, however it doesn't really matter where the trip it to, they have to sell the popcorn anyway. If the money isn't for a trip to wdw it would be used for other activities, end of year gifts for the kids (a new neckerchief or scout book for next year), etc. Regardless of what they're spending it on, the boys are expected to sell popcorn to keep our out of pocket costs for all activities down. And I do want to point out that the wdw trip is NOT set in stone yet, it is something the pack leader would like to do IF we raise enough money. DH and I have actually been discussing alternate ideas for trips that we could suggest to him and have come up with a couple so we'll see.

Selling popcorn has been an expected fundraising activity in both of the packs my boys have been in and we've always participated so it was no suprise, but we just moved to this town last Oct., after the popcorn sales were over, so I wanted to hear some new ideas for it now that I'm in a more rural area and I've gotten alot of great tips which are hopefully helping out some other scouting families as well.

BTW, we do have a college campus not too far away, I will definitely suggest selling before a football game to DH, that's a great idea.

WendyisDarling, tell me about it, I have FOUR fundraising packets sitting on my desk right now from my kids' schools and we'll get popcorn info tonight , I can't even afford to order from my own kids and I can't see sending them all to my neighbors so you definitely won't get any flames from me and your perspective is actually very helpful so thanks for posting.

Beret...$15.00
Boots..$135.00
Having them HOME
on the floor....
PRICELESS
mrsbornkuntry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 09:12 AM   #43
erincon23
Everyone must have gotten a life in the last few days
As you can see, I have gotten sidetracked

As a former Cubmaster and Popcorn Kernel, I sure wish I had found this board then! The ideas are great (in fact, I'm going to pass some of these ideas along to our current cubmaster -- we're long out of scouts, but still have connections). We always sold at the local grocery store (some weekends better than others), and one place we tried was at a train station in the evening. That was OK, not fantastic, but worth the time, I thought. The pizza place across the street brought out a pizza for the boys (for free!).

I love the idea of opening the box and selling just three of the packages of microwave stuff -- I always buy the popcorn, but we just don't seem to go through the box before it's stale. When wrapping the popcorn with a ribbon, I would add a home-computer-printed tag with "thank you" and possibly a contact for purchasing more by a certain date (email would be better). And the donations jar is a must!

If you're going to open a can to sample, buy a bunch of cupcake liners and pre-fill them with the popcorn -- I'm sure it goes without saying that you don't want people dipping into the can to take their own sample (yuck).

Good luck!
- Erin

me DH DS16 DS20 On our last family trip, 3/09
erincon23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 09:30 AM   #44
samandgiasmom
Earning My Ears

Incidentially, selling popcorn is not mandatory for all Cub Scouts. In our den, it's optional. We've decided that our family will not be selling it.
samandgiasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 09:31 AM   #45
samandgiasmom
Earning My Ears

Incidentially, selling popcorn is not mandatory for all Cub Scouts. In our den, it's optional. We've decided that our family will not be selling it.
samandgiasmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: