Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2009, 04:47 PM   #16
mrsklamc
I apologize in advance, but what is a click clack?

i'd buy one tin and give out samples. In our house we affectionately refer to their chocolate covered carmel corn as 'crack.'
mrsklamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 04:54 PM   #17
mrsbornkuntry
I'm worried about raccoons
I carry a diaper

Thank-you for all of your suggestions, this will really help!

CeeCee, our council has scholarships for Cub Scout camps, but this doesn't fall under that since it's just something our pack wants to do.

TaraPA, I really wish they would choose a more local, cheaper trip. Our pack leader is a Disney fanatic which of course I can appreciate, but he is also considerably more well off and only has 2 children so I don't think he understands what a struggle it is for a family of 7 on a tight budget. We did take a family trip to WDW in June so it wouldn't be that bad for our kids not to get to go, but it would be hard for my kids to hear about the trip at the den meetings knowing that they can't go. Plus of course we want to go . Last year they slept with the sharks at Ripley's Aquarium in Myrtle Beach, that was still $80 per person.

spare+a_pair, that's great advice. I would have never thought about opening up the boxes of popcorn, I'll keep that in mind. It also sounds like a good teacher gift to me, or is that cheap? Maybe with gift card, too.

Minniebeth, that's what we're doing, "show and deliver". I've never done this before, we always used order forms. I haven't heard yet about "booth" sales, but I think they're planning some, I hope so. Next Tuesday is our kickoff day so we'll learn more then.

Beret...$15.00
Boots..$135.00
Having them HOME
on the floor....
PRICELESS
mrsbornkuntry is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-15-2009, 04:55 PM   #18
twinmommyks
DIS Veteran

We just take our scouts door to door and have great success. About 90% of everyone asked buys popcorn, but we've been selling it for 7 years and have our regular customers.

People in our area seem very willing to purchase when they hear it's for Scouts.

I have seen other scout groups set up a booth in front of Walmart, Target, Sam's Club in the past years.

Good luck to you.

Bren
2006 - DL - CCI
2008 - DCL Wonder
2012 - WDW
twinmommyks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 05:41 PM   #19
ceecee
DIS Veteran

I really like the 3 for $3.00 idea, that's great!
ceecee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 05:53 PM   #20
Tink&Peter
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by spare+a_pair View Post
You need to practice with your boys. Our "sales pitch" is

"Hi. My name is Joe, I am trying to sell $200 of popcorn so that my cub scout group can go on a campout. Will you help me reach my goal?"

Trails End has done MASSIVE research on behalf of scouting and this is the MOST EFFECTIVE sales pitch that a person will hear. It is really hard to tell a child you won't help them reach a goal.

We have also bought several packs of the micro popcorn, unboxed them - one box at a time, and bundled them 3 to a pack. Tie with Ribbon and add a "Happy Holidays" card. We sell these for $3 ea. One box costs $12, and there are 15 pks to a box. We have sold HUNDREDS of these while sitting outside of the local grocery store.

Sorry to ramble - I am the District Popcorn Kernal this year, so I am up to my eyes in popcorn!

You also have to make known that the people are not just buying popcorn, they are donating to cub scouts. Not sure what your fliers look like this year, but ours were redesigned so that the donation is listed directly under the selling price. 70% of all sales go back to LOCAL scouting - sure our Council is getting 40% to fund council wide activities, but 30% goes back to our unit.

Anyway - off the popcorn box Hope this helps!
That is an awesome opener. This quote will 'pop' out ....My son will use this in some format when our scouts popcorn sales start!
Old 09-15-2009, 08:32 PM   #21
MichelleinMaine
DIS Veteran

Booth sales are when you sell at Walmart/etc. As others said, the slots may be filled up (though doesn't hurt to ask.) Our WM also matches the $ amount sold. (They do only have a limited amount of funds/year and it was hit or miss whether they'd run out before popcorn season...)

My biggest tip, if you can get permission to have a booth sale somewhere, is to have a straight donation jar as well. It's hard for people to justify $10+ for popcorn. (I know it's also a donation to scouting but it's just not in everyone's budget.) The dollar or change people have on hand to toss in really adds up.

And I really suggest talking to the pack committee about more reasonable field trips/ more reasonably attained goals. WDW from NC is a pretty high standard and like you said will cause hard feelings for those not able to pay the difference. (I'm fighting this battle regularly in our troop committee. Some people just don't take into account how deeply hurting many people are in this economy.)
Old 09-15-2009, 08:34 PM   #22
lovebuzz
DIS Veteran

Also, new this year, you can print out a tax deductible form if the want to donate popcorn for the military. It is a form that you can print out at home and give it to them right away.
lovebuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 08:50 PM   #23
pudge the fish
Mom to future CEO of Disney
My hubby says he needs one for me as I wander off

in our town we were told Walmart no longer will allow any sales on property. This includes Sam's
only the people who were signed up to do a sale will be allowed for the next month to do them.
We were told by walmart it was a corporate decision to make their stores nicer italics are my words

When we do donut sales I take DD to the police dept, fire Dept and city hall.
We do pre -orders and I deliver the next day bright and early.

pudge the fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 07:44 AM   #24
Indiana Rose Lee
Baby Factory Extraordinaire! ;)

If you sell at a business, remember to put out a donation can out, too. I think the popcorn is the biggest rip off out there, and won't buy it again. That said, I would toss in $5 for a good cause.
Indiana Rose Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 08:16 AM   #25
mrsbornkuntry
I'm worried about raccoons
I carry a diaper

I will be sure to suggest a donation jar, that's a good point about people being willing to throw in a little bit. I will also print out some of the tax deduction forms, we have a pretty decent sized military population in our community so I think that would help our sales and would be good for the boys to remember there are still soldiers overseas.

Indiana Rose Lee, unfortunately I agree with you about it being a rip off, I think that's one of the reasons it's hard for me to get into pushing the boys to sell it. I see the value in them learning to raise the money and donating to BSA, but the frugal side of me can't spend that much for popcorn. Girl Scout cookies on the other hand, I will have a freezer full of, I guess I should've been blessed with 4 girls and 1 boy instead of the other way around .

Beret...$15.00
Boots..$135.00
Having them HOME
on the floor....
PRICELESS
mrsbornkuntry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 08:27 AM   #26
Indiana Rose Lee

LOL, there is a huge huge difference between girl scout cookies and $2 worth of popcorn in a $15 package! I like the boy scout program, but I got scammed by the preacher's kid! I'm giving up church this month, now that you gave the warning!
Old 09-16-2009, 08:40 AM   #27
mrsklamc
I apologize in advance, but what is a click clack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pudge the fish View Post
We were told by walmart it was a corporate decision to make their stores nicer italics are my words
OT rant.
I am so sick of wal-mart trying to be target. They re-did the local one with a more target-like feel and target style merchandise. I suspect that this is another attempt to follow target. You're wal-mart. Stop trying to be target.
mrsklamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 08:41 AM   #28
Indiana Rose Lee

Our walmart still has people out nearly every day. You might not want to write off that option.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:17 AM   #29
ceecee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Rose Lee View Post
Our walmart still has people out nearly every day. You might not want to write off that option.
I think what makes it tacky is that they don't care who sells there. The last few weeks there were people with home baked goods (which I would never buy from strangers!) with a sign that said "It's our time" No idea what group or why they were even there, it was adults and not kids. BS and GS I think are totally acceptable. Maybe that Walmart decided to cut down on all of that.
We do get a lot of donations from our GS cookie sale too. $1, 2 or 10 goes a lot further than .50 a box! So we always appreciate those, we also donate boxes for people who want to do that.
ceecee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 10:18 AM   #30
Chicago526
Any dream will do...
I have the best NEW HUSBAND ever!
Clorox Toliet wands, I love these things!
"Hmmm...I have a cookbook."

The scouts (boys and girls) always sell outside my local grocery store. Check with the owners but around here most stores allow scouts to sell (as well as other non-profit orgs).

Yes, I do know the difference between "there, their, and they're". However, often my fingers while typing do not.
Chicago526 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: