Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2012, 09:45 AM   #136
badblackpug
If you knew her you would be shocked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nchulka View Post
Not to get totally off subject but, being Jewish and believing the Jewish religion are not always the same. There are Jewish people who are practicing Catholics, protestants, etc. They may not believe the Jewish religion but they are still Jewish. Therefor if an organization was going to ban Jews, they would not care what religion the person practiced. If you're Jewish you're Jewish, no matter what country you live in or if you are practicing the Jewish religion or not! Of course you are American, but you are also Jewish, not because of what you believe, but because you were born Jewish! There are also people who believe and practice the Jewish religion that are not Jewish. You're either born Jewish or not, as an adult you can choose to practice the religion or not but you're still either Jewish or not based on your birth. I was talking about discrimination against someone who was Jewish based on their birth, something they cannot control. They decide if they want to practice the religion or not.

Anyway, I was just using being black or Jewish as an example of how that would be exclusionary based on how a person was born. It's very different from what the Scouts are doing, because they take the position that a person in not in fact born gay, but rather chooses to live a gay lifestyle. Therefor they are banning members who choose to engage in an activity they disagree with, not banning members for who they are, how they were born.
Yeah, no. Judaism is a religion. You are Jewish if you practice Judaism, just like you are catholic if you practice Catholicism. Jews, like christians and muslims, hail from many nations around the world.

Your nationality is derived from which country in which you were born. If you were born in Canada, you are Canadian.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:49 AM   #137
GoofyMB
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsbornkuntry View Post
As far as the issues with not allowing gay leaders or scouts, that bothers me and I have been torn about taking my boys out of scouts because of it. While it does not affect me directly I oppose that kind of discrimination, however one of my boys has been in since he was a Tiger and he's now a third year boy scout and he loves it and doesn't do any other extra-curricular activities so it's a hard decision for me.
IMO I think it should be the boys decision if he would like to continue or not. At the Boy Scout level tha Troop is run by the boys, they are being taught to be responsible and are expected to make their own decisions on many issues. As a 3rd year scout he is old enough to decide if it is an issue that bothers him. You can share your opinion with him in a way that he can understand while making sure he knows the ultimate decision is his to make. Remember that the purpose of Boy Scouts is to teach the boys to become good responsible citizens. While I was a scout leader for years, I disagree with the National Policy on this and some of the other policies but never let any of these issues affect the boys and their enjoyment of scouting and their growth.
GoofyMB is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-20-2012, 11:51 AM   #138
mrsbornkuntry
I'm worried about raccoons
I carry a diaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofyMB View Post
IMO I think it should be the boys decision if he would like to continue or not. At the Boy Scout level tha Troop is run by the boys, they are being taught to be responsible and are expected to make their own decisions on many issues. As a 3rd year scout he is old enough to decide if it is an issue that bothers him. You can share your opinion with him in a way that he can understand while making sure he knows the ultimate decision is his to make. Remember that the purpose of Boy Scouts is to teach the boys to become good responsible citizens. While I was a scout leader for years, I disagree with the National Policy on this and some of the other policies but never let any of these issues affect the boys and their enjoyment of scouting and their growth.
That's a good point, I will discuss it with him and get his thoughts.

Beret...$15.00
Boots..$135.00
Having them HOME
on the floor....
PRICELESS
mrsbornkuntry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 04:15 PM   #139
btass
DIS Veteran

When my son was a Cub Scout his Pack always set up a table in front of the Polls on Election day. They always sold out on just that one day sale too.
Old 09-22-2012, 10:06 PM   #140
buzz5985
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsbornkuntry View Post
First, I am stating facts, not insulting you or your family members so I don't appreciate your attitude with me. I think we can have a respectful conversation on this thread without rudeness.

I was simply trying to understand your post and I am telling you exactly what I do know, google it. This website has some current information: http://bsa-discrimination.org/html/bsa_gay_policy.html . BSA policy forbids homosexual parents and boys in their troops. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, obviously that's not true, I'm just telling you that if anyone complains to the council about it they will be asked to step down. It happened recently. http://www.inquisitr.com/226318/lesb...of-boy-scouts/ . So yes, there are absolutely rules that say they cannot be involved in boy scouts.

Again, I'm not agreeing with the rules or the fact that they obviously are involved in scouting, I'm just stating the fact that there is such a rule and the council can and will enforce it at their will.
Not all councils follow the National Policies. My council - Boston Minuteman council have a nondiscrimination clause. As you see in the article below in the Wall Street Journal - BSA is well aware of Boston's stance and there have been no repercussions. There are other Councils mentioned in the article - but I am only familiar with Boston Minuteman Council.

http://http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390443343704577551162306364148.html
1976 - Off Site, 1987 - Poly, 1988 - Poly,Treehouse, 2001 - AsM, 2002 - AsM, AKL, 2003 - Wonder, VWL, 2004 - HH, AKL, BWV, 2005 - HH, BWV, 2006 - OKW, WL, BCV, 2008 - AKL, OKW, HH, 2009 - BLT, BWV 2010 - SSR, 2011 - VB, HH, 2012 - HH, BWV, THV, 2013/14 - OKW, 2014 - VGC
buzz5985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:41 PM   #141
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

Gee you don't by any chance WORK for the coffee company do you?
Old 10-05-2012, 04:54 PM   #142
thelionqueen
DIS Veteran
The Tag Fairy threw me a bone to hear me scream!
My body has finally figured out that it can let go of the fat!

Such intelligent and kind posts...
Old 10-05-2012, 05:02 PM   #143
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

Pretty kind and loving there too. Lol, lead by example, or you just have to snit at people with whom you disagree?
Old 10-05-2012, 05:06 PM   #144
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

Lol, someone must have agreed. The posts were removed. Huh, imagine that!
Old 10-06-2012, 08:11 AM   #145
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by okeydokey View Post
Ghost thread, wow.

The popcorn is a worse deal now than it was in 2009 when this thread was started. For that reason, we no longer sell any to friends and family. I will not ask anyone to buy such overpriced stuff.
Wow, the poster with only 4 posts dug deep to find this thread. For what?

Anyhow, now I will throw in my 2 cents. I also will not buy the expensive popcorn that is not near as good as the brand name we buy - why should we eat that stuff? And no, I cannot buy it and throw it away.

I think it is so rude of parents to hound their neighbors and co workers to buy things that their children are selling (no matter what it is). They also had to ban it at my DH's workplace also. If you didn't buy, it caused hard feelings and interfered with working relationships - same thing with neighbors. We just cannot buy everything.

I would not let my children sell *anything* (the parents usually ended up doing the selling anyway) and went straight to the source, told them so, and why. They never took it out on my children either. I think it's ridiculous and sad to *dangle* a trip in front of a child's eyes, then say but you have to sell X amount of stuff to earn it. No way, and I will tell them so.

We have only so much to give to charities, and it will definitely go to a better cause that fun activities that parents won't pay for their child. There are lots of causes that mean sometimes *life or death*.
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:34 AM   #146
Dwheels
Mouseketeer

Here's my advice find something else to sell because their popcorn is a big rip off and I would never buy it again! The girls scouts got it right with cookies! The boys need to find something comparable
Dwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:18 AM   #147
torinsmom
I have someone coming to scoop
I don't know how a man could wear them

I know this is an old thread, but if the boy scouts would sell smaller packages, I would buy some popcorn. Maybe a 3 or 4 pack. You could even break up the box and sell it by the pack. Most people would buy at least one pack just to help.
August 3-11, 2008--Pop Century Grand Gathering
July 6-13, 2009--Universal Studios
June 16-25 2010--Universal AND Disney for 10 days (Emerald Island)
August 10-20 2011--Universal and Disney(Indian Creek)
July 6-14 2012--Universal and Disney--doing YES again!
July 14-21 2013--Universal and Disney with family
torinsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:55 AM   #148
thelionqueen
DIS Veteran
The Tag Fairy threw me a bone to hear me scream!
My body has finally figured out that it can let go of the fat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny square
Pretty kind and loving there too. Lol, lead by example, or you just have to snit at people with whom you disagree?
Funny that my posts weren't directed at anyone yet you assumed they were directed at you.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:30 AM   #149
Mickeypooh99
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzz5985 View Post
Not all councils follow the National Policies. My council - Boston Minuteman council have a nondiscrimination clause. As you see in the article below in the Wall Street Journal - BSA is well aware of Boston's stance and there have been no repercussions. There are other Councils mentioned in the article - but I am only familiar with Boston Minuteman Council.

http://http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390443343704577551162306364148.html

I would love to read this article, but it says you have to subscribe to read it. I'm wondering if it is something our troop could to also.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:56 AM   #150
irishsharon
DIS Veteran

My ds has to sell $50 worth of popcorn and has to sell popcorn outside a store for 2 hours.I'm not sure what this is really teaching as it seems like begging to me! We will do the 2 hours and whatever my family buys.I never ask friends or anyone else,I save them for jumprope for heart
irishsharon is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: