Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2011, 04:20 PM   #1351
mellers
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsjj View Post
if i may ask...why is going one way more expensive than the other way around? or maybe i'm just not reading it correctly?
There's a special fee for departing the airport if you don't have a day pass purchased from an outside vendor (there are a couple in the airport.)

mellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 04:33 PM   #1352
rsjj
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellers View Post
There's a special fee for departing the airport if you don't have a day pass purchased from an outside vendor (there are a couple in the airport.)
ok...i recall something like that. and i think you answered questions for me as well. so remind me, to bypass the fee, i needed to purchase that booklet from a vendor (cvs type pharmacy?) in the airport, right?
Register to remove

Old 05-24-2011, 05:54 PM   #1353
HiMagicFan
DIS Veteran

Don't usually carry cash

Quote:
Originally Posted by I<3EvilQueen View Post
When I was growing up I used to go to Canada all the time and they used to take US$ all the time with no problem. But with the US$ being weaker now you might have some blow back.

I didn't want to risk it, so just took out about $60 out of the ATM, so that I had Canadian money to spend during my time there.

Otherwise I used my debit card for gifts, resturants, and Skytrain fare.
Thanks! Didn't think about the dying dollar.

Sounds good $60....gotta make note of that.

I am definitely using credit card for the rest just hadn't thought about the tips. Appreciate it!
HiMagicFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 07:15 PM   #1354
jilljill
Collects Disney men!
I had to go and write a novel didn't I?!
Come on over and join our thread

Location: 13-14½ hours drive from WDW - depending on who is driving (lol) OR 5 minutes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiMagicFan View Post
Thanks! Didn't think about the dying dollar.

Sounds good $60....gotta make note of that.

I am definitely using credit card for the rest just hadn't thought about the tips. Appreciate it!
Don't forget to notify your bank you will be travelling out of the country. Also, many credit cards charge a 1-3% conversion fee for all foreign charges. You'll want to check with your issuing back to see what their fees are.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:39 PM   #1355
buddywesley
Mouseketeer

Anyone ever been to Playland? Or know anything about it? Is it worth going?
THANKS

Disney Magic MR May 2005, Disney Magic Eastern Dec 2005, Disney Magic Western Dec 2007, Disney Magic Eastern June 2009, Disney Wonder Alaska June 28, 2011, Disney Fantasy NYE Dec 2012-Jan 2013, DVC AKV owners
buddywesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 09:50 PM   #1356
mellers
DIS Veteran

Quote:
ok...i recall something like that. and i think you answered questions for me as well. so remind me, to bypass the fee, i needed to purchase that booklet from a vendor (cvs type pharmacy?) in the airport, right?
PharmaSave #22 in Terminal Bldg Level 1. Someone else also mentioned a 7-11.

mellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 09:55 PM   #1357
mmmears
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jilljill View Post
Don't forget to notify your bank you will be travelling out of the country. Also, many credit cards charge a 1-3% conversion fee for all foreign charges. You'll want to check with your issuing back to see what their fees are.
Very true. My MasterCard charges 3% on all transactions, but my AMEX charges nothing. It can make a big difference, depending on how much you spend.

* Disneyland * Walt Disney World * Disneyland Paris ** Disney Wonder Bahamas * Disney Wonder Alaska *
*Grand Floridian Resort* Animal Kingdom Lodge * Polynesian Resort * Yacht Club * Beach Club * Disneyland Hotel * Grand Californian Resort *
mmmears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:43 PM   #1358
Lollipop's Mom
Special trip with your little one ~~ PRICELESS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddywesley View Post
Anyone ever been to Playland? Or know anything about it? Is it worth going?
THANKS
Its 'ok' - fair type rides - its all we have for a theme park here. If you are looking for top notch attractions, this is not the place - but if you want a wooden roller coaster and 'fair' rides, it can be fun. We live here and never go, if that says anything.

Sept 2015 - Disney Wonder Hawaii
Sept 2014 - Caribbean Beach Resort
Dec 2013 - Disneyland
May 2013 -Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean
March 2013 -AKL Jambo Studio & AKL Jambo Concierge, & POR Princess Room
March 2012 -Disney Wonder Mexico
March 2012 - Disneyland
May 2011 - Disney Wonder Alaska
Apr 2010 - Disneyland
Jan 2010 -Disneyland
Jan 2009 - Disney Magic Western Caribbean
Jan 2009 - POFQ
Jan 2008 - POP
April 2007 - Disneyland
Sept 2000 - Disneyland
Jan 2000 -BWV Studio
Sept 1994 - All Star Sports
April 1977 -Contemporary

Lollipop's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 12:12 AM   #1359
HiMagicFan
DIS Veteran

Making Notes

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmears View Post
Very true. My MasterCard charges 3% on all transactions, but my AMEX charges nothing. It can make a big difference, depending on how much you spend.
Thank you both...was gonna take my Disney card but will check to see which one has the lessor %...thanks for the heads up
HiMagicFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 07:47 AM   #1360
richmo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
if i may ask...why is going one way more expensive than the other way around? or maybe i'm just not reading it correctly?
You're reading it correctly. From SkyTrains originating from the airport, there's a $5 surcharge. The reverse isn't true. If you're planning on getting some kind of multi-ride pass, you can get around the surcharge by buying the pass at an airport vendor (I think I remember reading there's a 7-11 and a drug store in YVR that sells them)

And a question a few posts back, I understand that the time it takes to get from YVR to Canada Place by SkyTrain is about 25 minutes.
richmo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 07:49 AM   #1361
richmo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Good point! I found that out when I prepaid a night at Whistler and a $5 foreign transaction charge showed up on my Amex. I think I'll have to take a look at the terms on my credit cards to see if I have any that don't have that.
richmo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 09:48 AM   #1362
wdhinn89
DIS Veteran

About 4 years ago the Disney Visa had a 3% charge and Discover had no fee for Canadian transactions. Not sure now though. Will call in July again.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:35 PM   #1363
jilljill
Collects Disney men!
I had to go and write a novel didn't I?!
Come on over and join our thread

Location: 13-14½ hours drive from WDW - depending on who is driving (lol) OR 5 minutes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdhinn89 View Post
About 4 years ago the Disney Visa had a 3% charge and Discover had no fee for Canadian transactions. Not sure now though. Will call in July again.
Disney Visa is still 3% for foreign transactions.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:57 PM   #1364
jodeja
Mouseketeer

Are credit card charges on the ship considered foreign transactions?
jodeja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 09:05 PM   #1365
buddywesley
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lollipop's Mom View Post
Its 'ok' - fair type rides - its all we have for a theme park here. If you are looking for top notch attractions, this is not the place - but if you want a wooden roller coaster and 'fair' rides, it can be fun. We live here and never go, if that says anything.
Thanks! We'll be in Vancouver for a day and 1/2 before the cruise and 3 days after. Since we're staying in Richmond (at The Fairmont Airport) before the cruise I thought we might pop over there for a bit and check it out. It does say a lot that you never go there though

Any suggestions for things to do by the airport? We'll be staying at Club Intrawest post cruise and plan to do all the downtown/ Stanley Park stuff then... Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions!

Disney Magic MR May 2005, Disney Magic Eastern Dec 2005, Disney Magic Western Dec 2007, Disney Magic Eastern June 2009, Disney Wonder Alaska June 28, 2011, Disney Fantasy NYE Dec 2012-Jan 2013, DVC AKV owners
buddywesley is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: