Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2011, 01:59 PM   #601
RedSox68
DIS Veteran

This is a remarkable thread and has provided so many tips and information. Thanks to all who keep it updated!

Nov. 2000 -- Disney Wonder -- 4-night Bahama
Nov. 2002 -- Disney Magic -- 7-night Caribbean
Aug. 2004 -- Disney Magic -- 7-night Caribbean
Aug. 2005 -- Disney Magic -- 14-night Panama Canal
Aug. 2006 -- Disney Wonder -- 10 night Southern Caribbean
Aug. 2007 -- Disney Magic -- 10-night Mediterranean
Aug. 2007 -- Disney Magic -- 14-night Transatlantic
Aug. 2008 -- NCL Pride of America -- 7-night Hawaiian & Vow Renewal
Oct. 2009 -- Disney Magic -- 7-night Caribbean
July 2010 -- RV "Land Cruise" -- 30-days covering the West
May 2011 -- Disney Dream -- 4-night Bahama
June 2011 -- RV "Land Cruise" -- 30-days finishing the West and South!
May 2012 -- HAL Zaandam -- 7-night Alaska cruise/12 night cruisetour (thus completing our 50th state!)
August 2013 -- Carnival Glory -- 4-night NYC to St John, NB
Sept 2013 -- HAL Eurodam -- 10-night Colors of Canada/NE Cruise from Quebec to NYC
Dec. 2014 -- Disney Fantasy 7-night Eastern with San Juan port (our platinum cruise & 4th Disney ship!)
August 2015 -- Royal Princess -- 12-night British Isles Cruise R/T from Southampton
RedSox68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 03:38 PM   #602
Pooh667
Mouseketeer

Hi,

I have some questions.....Does anyone know what a taxi from Vancouver airport to Coast Coal Harbour Hotel costs? Is the Coal Coast a good hotel in a good area? Then how much from Coast Coal Harbour Hotel to Cananda Place? Also what would it cost from Canada Pier to Vancouver airport? We are 18 people with a wheelchair and stroller. Should we do individual taxis or mini vans? Thanks so much for any information you can give me!
All Star Sports & Contemporary 2004
Saratoga Springs 2005 - 2014
Disneyland 2006, 2012
Disney Cruise 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011
Pooh667 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-03-2011, 06:03 PM   #603
mellers
DIS Veteran

I can't speak from personal experience, because it will be our first time to use them, but I will probably be using these guys for our group:

http://www.ridebooker.com

With that many people, they might have a wheelchair accessible van. I am also in a wheelchair, but I can board the van independently and mine breaks apart into several pieces, so it's not critical that it be accessible, so I can't say for sure.

Has anyone here used Ridebooker?
mellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 06:25 PM   #604
Pooh667
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellers View Post
I can't speak from personal experience, because it will be our first time to use them, but I will probably be using these guys for our group:

http://www.ridebooker.com

With that many people, they might have a wheelchair accessible van. I am also in a wheelchair, but I can board the van independently and mine breaks apart into several pieces, so it's not critical that it be accessible, so I can't say for sure.

Has anyone here used Ridebooker?
Thanks for the information! I am curious too to see if anyone has used Ridebooker?
Disneyland 2006, 2012
Old 01-03-2011, 11:18 PM   #605
smeecanada
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooh667 View Post
Hi,

I have some questions.....Does anyone know what a taxi from Vancouver airport to Coast Coal Harbour Hotel costs? Is the Coal Coast a good hotel in a good area? Then how much from Coast Coal Harbour Hotel to Cananda Place? Also what would it cost from Canada Pier to Vancouver airport? We are 18 people with a wheelchair and stroller. Should we do individual taxis or mini vans? Thanks so much for any information you can give me!
Don't know price, but it's approximately an hours drive from the airport to downtown/port.
: 1992, 2007, 2013
DCL: AUG07 4day: Wonder, AUG08 15day EB REPO, 04JUL09 EASTERN, 23OCT10 EASTERN, 23AUG11 ALASKA, 25AUG12 NY/BAHAMAS, 24AUG13 FANTASY EASTERN 20SEP14 SOUTHERN
smeecanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:53 PM   #606
mellers
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Check and see if your Vancouver hotel is on the Quick Shuttle's pickup list (http://www.quickcoach.com/ ). If it is, it might be much more convenient than making all of those trips--it will take you directly from your hotel to Sea-Tac. I would not recommend cutting it that close with Amtrak--I've had too many problems with delayed trains.
There is a third option (that I probably should have thought to post before)--it's generally more pricy than the quick shuttle, and a bit more than the train, depending upon how many are traveling, but you might want to check out http://seattlegreenlimo.com/ . They do make trips from Vancouver to Seattle. It's still usually cheaper than plane tickets for a good sized group.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:40 AM   #607
mellers
DIS Veteran

Land of the Midnight Sun

One thing that I probably should mention, for those heading north to Alaska, particularly in June and July, is that the sun comes up VERY EARLY and goes down VERY LATE (to put it into perspective, near the Summer Solstice, in Seattle, which gets much less summer sunshine than Alaska, the sun is usually up before 5 in the morning and down after 9 at night.)

You might want to make sure any portholes or windows are covered before you go to bed, and warn children that they do have to go to bed in the daytime.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:31 PM   #608
Pooh667
Mouseketeer

Thank you Wendy! Knowing that it is about an hour away is good to know so we can tell the kids and grownup kids in our traveling party.
Disneyland 2006, 2012
Old 01-04-2011, 04:31 PM   #609
rsjj
DIS Veteran

anyone here know the hotels around the area? i'm looking into trying to reserve a room for our family...but not quite sure of the area. which area should i be looking into? haven't done much research...any help/tip would be much appreciated!!

so sorry...but didn't read the entire thread! thought i'd just start here & ask away. so very sorry if this has been dealt w/previously.

thanx!!
Old 01-04-2011, 05:02 PM   #610
mellers
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsjj View Post
anyone here know the hotels around the area? i'm looking into trying to reserve a room for our family...but not quite sure of the area. which area should i be looking into? haven't done much research...any help/tip would be much appreciated!!

so sorry...but didn't read the entire thread! thought i'd just start here & ask away. so very sorry if this has been dealt w/previously.

thanx!!
I like the Richmond, BC area near the Lansdowne Mall near the airport. It takes a bit longer to get to the cruise terminal in the morning (about an hour), but the savings on the lodging makes it worth it for us, if we plan to spend a few days.

For families, I like the La Quinta Vancouver Airport. They have a nice free breakfast, a small (but DEEP! If you have little ones, they'll need lifejackets) indoor pool, and are very close to the Lansdowne Shopping Centre SkyTrain. Rooms go for about $70/night, and the place is very clean and has laundry facilities. (http://www.lq.com/lq/properties/prop...%3D-123.137766 )

They also have a free shuttle from YVR, although it isn't wheelchair accessible.

The Lansdowne Shopping Centre (http://lansdowne-centre.com/shoppingblog/ ) has a nice food court with an A&W (think more like a McDonald's--for those of us over 40, it's like A&W before Hot Dogs and More bought it out.), a Subway, and lots of other things. The mall also has a Toys R Us and a Zellers (think Target) where you can get cheap Disney souvenirs or last-minute toiletries, clothing, or other items. There's also a McDonald's about two blocks away.

Wheelchair accessibility isn't too bad, either to or from the hotel or to or from Lansdowne (if that's an issue--it is for me), and there is great public transit into Vancouver proper by taking the SkyTrain right next to the mall. Also, if you're on your way back home, they do have shipping facilities in the mall (no idea what the price would be, though--probably pretty steep, since it's international).

Richmond itself is kind of a neat place--you'll find that it's a very upscale Chinatown. A lot of people who left HK ahead of the Chinese (including a fair number of my husband's cousins) set up housekeeping in Richmond. The Chinese food there is extraordinary, but if you're more used to Panda Express than real Chinese food, might be a little adventurous.

You will need to get transportation from the hotel to the cruise terminal. I'm going to try Ridebooker to do it this time; however, I'm not sure how good they are, since this will be my first time trying them out, too:

http://www.ridebooker.com/

You also shouldn't have much trouble catching a cab from the La Quinta, given how close it is to both the shopping centre and the airport.

It also might be worth it, if you are coming in the night before from Seattle, and aren't planning to do anything in Vancouver, to take the Quick Shuttle from Sea-Tac (http://www.quickcoach.com ) to one of the downtown hotels near the cruise terminal--this will cut down on your transportation costs the next day, and take care of your passage from Sea-Tac across the border and into Vancouver.

The Quick Shuttle also leaves from Bellingham, and also stops at YVR and Cruise Terminal, if you're trying to get back from Vancouver (I don't recommend going straight to the cruise terminal to/from Seattle on the same day--there's just too much that can go wrong on a border crossing. I would go the day before.)

At any rate, I hope that is helpful. Have a great cruise, wherever you stay!
Old 01-04-2011, 06:04 PM   #611
nemofans
DIS Veteran

Quote:
There is a third option (that I probably should have thought to post before)--it's generally more pricy than the quick shuttle, and a bit more than the train, depending upon how many are traveling, but you might want to check out http://seattlegreenlimo.com/ . They do make trips from Vancouver to Seattle. It's still usually cheaper than plane tickets for a good sized group.
That's actually not a bad idea. I have been pricing out the cheapest way, but it's also hard w/the limited times bus & train travel.

I've been BOO'd!!

8/2000 Grosvenor Resort (got engaged!), 11/2005 DL PPH CL, 12/2006 Poly, 02/2008 AKL, 2/2010 CR CL, 2/2011 DCL Magic, 11/2011 DL GCH, 10/2012 AKL CL

2013 Book Challenge: 87 out of 75 GOAL MET!!
2014 Book Challenge: 49 out of 85
nemofans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 06:51 PM   #612
tanyaewa
Just can't get enough!

Ridebooker is owned by a friend of mine here in Whistler. I'll see if I can get him on this board to answer questions....

Fwiw it's a very reputable company and very well-known for it's efficiency here in town.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:17 PM   #613
mellers
DIS Veteran

Good to know! This will be our first time using them.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:43 PM   #614
mellers
DIS Veteran

Groceries tend to be quite a bit more expensive in Canada than the US--Zellers and Wal-Mart tend to be relatively cheaper (Zellers is like Target)
Old 01-05-2011, 01:54 AM   #615
mellers
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohj80 View Post
We'll be traveling with a 5 year old which is leading us to fly into Seattle for several reasons.

We plan to spend a night in Seattle to break up all the travel and let her experience a few sights.

The Amtrak ride will be a treat as she loves trains and will break-up the traveling over a couple days.
You might also want to consider staying at the Best Western by the Space Needle, and then taking the Quick Shuttle (http://www.quickcoach.com/ ) into Vancouver rather than the train. I don't know if it's possible, but if they allow a "stopover", that could save you a huge amount of money.

The Space Needle area has the best things for children in Seattle--the Seattle Children's Museum, the Pacific Science Center, and the Experience Music Project/Sci Fi Museum, as well the iconic Space Needle. The Quick Shuttle leaves the airport, stops at the Best Western, and then continues up to the Vancouver Airport, the Downtown Vancouver Hotels, and in some cases, the Cruise Terminal (although I would still recommend you go up the day before the cruise, just in case), so if they would allow you a stopover, the fare would include your transportation to your hotel in Seattle, as well as your transportation up to Vancouver. If you're staying at one of the downtown hotels they service, it will also drop you at the door of your hotel, so that saves you the cost of transferring.

Our relatives in Richmond (near the Vancouver Airport) use the Quick Shuttle to come see us, and we use it to go see them. (We live right outside Seattle) The one thing I would caution you to do, however, is get some take-out food for the bus, because they don't make a meal stop.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: