Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2012, 07:51 PM   #1996
queenbee99
DIS Veteran

Does anyone have any suggestions on what we could do either with our luggage till we leave that evening of the train or what we could do while we have our luggage with us till we leave that evening on the train? Make sense? LOL
Old 04-16-2012, 08:16 PM   #1997
mellers
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenbee99 View Post
Does anyone have any suggestions on what we could do either with our luggage till we leave that evening of the train or what we could do while we have our luggage with us till we leave that evening on the train? Make sense? LOL
You might want to eat in a hotel restaurant and ask if you could check your luggage for awhile after your meal. Then it would be safe and you wouldn't be encumbered with it.

mellers is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-17-2012, 01:18 PM   #1998
Donna3271
DIS Veteran

Can someone recommend a hotel for 5? Me, DH, and 3 children 10, 7, and 7. I don't want to have to get 2 rooms, but I want to be close to Canada Place.

THANKS!!
Donna3271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 01:19 PM   #1999
queenbee99
DIS Veteran

I would love some recommendations for a moderately place to stay here as well that is close to public transportation and sight seeing. It's just 3 people here though.
Old 04-17-2012, 02:24 PM   #2000
mellers
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenbee99 View Post
I would love some recommendations for a moderately place to stay here as well that is close to public transportation and sight seeing. It's just 3 people here though.
My family and I usually stay in Richmond--it's a really interesting little city just outside Vancouver. We usually stay at the Four Points Sheraton Vancouver Airport. They have a free shuttle from the airport, and are across the street from a mall with a nice food court, a Zellers (think Target), a Toys R Us, a provincial liquor store, and a "Farm Market"--kind of a small grocery store.

The Lansdowne Shopping Centre (the name of the mall) has a Canada Line Skytrain stop, so it's pretty easy to get into downtown Vancouver, and there is a laundromat about a block away.

The Richmond area is kind of neat to explore in and of itself--it is very like Hong Kong. A lot of immigrants from Hong Kong came to BC in the 80's and 90's in advance of Hong Kong returning to the Chinese. Most of the shopping malls have signs in both English and Chinese, and you'll hear Chinese spoken everywhere.

One of my favorite places to visit in the area is the International Buddhist Temple Gardens They are a wonder, but please be respectful. There are areas in which photography is not allowed, and some people have littered in the temple area. This is an active place of worship--some of our cousins are members. This is not necessarily a place for the tour books, but I love it.

You'll probably want to hire a car or take a taxi to the ship, but that's not hard to do.

Old 04-17-2012, 02:25 PM   #2001
queenbee99
DIS Veteran

Thanks for that info! We are actually sailing out of Seattle but going to Vancouver afterwards so it would not really have to be near Canada Place...just centrally located to the sites.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mellers View Post
My family and I usually stay in Richmond--it's a really interesting little city just outside Vancouver. We usually stay at the Four Points Sheraton Vancouver Airport. They have a free shuttle from the airport, and are across the street from a mall with a nice food court, a Zellers (think Target), a Toys R Us, a provincial liquor store, and a "Farm Market"--kind of a small grocery store.

The Lansdowne Shopping Centre (the name of the mall) has a Canada Line Skytrain stop, so it's pretty easy to get into downtown Vancouver, and there is a laundromat about a block away.

The Richmond area is kind of neat to explore in and of itself--it is very like Hong Kong. A lot of immigrants from Hong Kong came to BC in the 80's and 90's in advance of Hong Kong returning to the Chinese. Most of the shopping malls have signs in both English and Chinese, and you'll hear Chinese spoken everywhere.

One of my favorite places to visit in the area is the International Buddhist Temple Gardens They are a wonder, but please be respectful. There are areas in which photography is not allowed, and some people have littered in the temple area. This is an active place of worship--some of our cousins are members. This is not necessarily a place for the tour books, but I love it.

You'll probably want to hire a car or take a taxi to the ship, but that's not hard to do.
Old 04-17-2012, 02:32 PM   #2002
queenbee99
DIS Veteran

Thank you for that idea, I didn't think of that. I think we might just stay that night in Seattle and then go that morning so that gives us the whole day there to sight see. Can someone recommend to me, where they would stay an extra day? We have 3 days in Seattle and the 3 day in Vancouver but one day left over. We have considered Whistler. Has anyone been? Will they have snow in June? We have got to find some snow on this trip for my dd. LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by mellers View Post
You might want to eat in a hotel restaurant and ask if you could check your luggage for awhile after your meal. Then it would be safe and you wouldn't be encumbered with it.
Old 04-17-2012, 02:51 PM   #2003
discruiser
DVC Member SSR-VB-AKV

Location: Friendswood, Texas - about 40 minutes from the Magic's new home in Galveston!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna3271 View Post
Can someone recommend a hotel for 5? Me, DH, and 3 children 10, 7, and 7. I don't want to have to get 2 rooms, but I want to be close to Canada Place.

THANKS!!
We are a family of six and last summer we stayed at the Comfort Inn Downtown at 654 Nelson St. It was nothing fancy, but it was clean and it was close to public transportation. It was maybe 1/2 mile from Canada Place, not really within walking distance with bags. We wound up having to take 2 cabs to Canada Place the morning of our cruise. I had the hardest time finding a room that would accommodate 6 people, but I found a room at the Comfort Inn that had 2 queen beds and a sofabed. The price wasn't outrageous (compared to a lot of other hotels I had looked at), but probably one of the best things about the Comfort Inn was the free continental breakfast which was offered each day in the pub connected to the restaurant. I feel that alone saved us a lot of money!

I was looking for a clean place that wouldn't break the bank, and I was not disappointed with the Comfort Inn. I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again with my family.

Kim

Ft. Wilderness ~ Nov 2001; Holiday Inn Family Suites ~ Nov 2002; Disney Magic ~ Nov 2003; Disney Wonder ~ March 2004; SSR/VB ~ May-June 2005; SSR ~ Dec 2005; SSR ~ March 2006; BCV/VB ~ May-June 2006; Disney Magic ~ March 2007; BCV/VB ~ May-June 2007; AKV ~ Dec-Jan 2007/2008; DL Grand Californian and Magic EB Panama Canal Cruise ~ Aug 2008; OKW ~ March 2009; AKV/VB ~ June 2009; Thanksgiving on the Magic ~ Nov 2009; OKW ~ June 2010; Christmas on the Magic ~ Dec 2010; Disney Dream ~ March 2011; Wonder in Alaska ~ June 2011; Back 2 Back on the Disney Dream ~ Thanksgiving 2011; Disney Fantasy, VB Beach Cottage & AKV Grand Villa vacation with friends ~ June/July 2012; Thanksgiving on the Magic sailing out of Galveston! ~ Nov 2012; New Year's Eve at Disney's Aulani ~ Dec 2012/Jan 2013; Back to Back on the Magic in the Med ~ Jun/July 2013; Girls Cruise on the Dream ~ Sept 2013
Upcoming Trips: Spring Break on the *New* Magic ~ March 2014; Two Week Trip to the World ~ June 2014; Girls Cruise on the Fantasy ~ Sept 2014
discruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:33 PM   #2004
RedSox68
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jilljill View Post
Seattle does have the ticket kiosks, I printed our's there last August.
Huh, interesting. When I checked on the Amtrak site, it said no kiosk and I even printed the page to remind me. Then when I called to check with Amtrak, they said no kiosk. Someone needs to update their staff

Nov. 2000 -- Disney Wonder -- 4-night Bahama; Nov. 2002 -- Disney Magic 7-night Caribbean; Aug. 2004 -- Disney Magic 7-night Caribbean;
Aug. 2005 -- Disney Magic 14-night Panama Canal; Aug. 2006 -- Disney Wonder 10 night Southern Caribbean; Aug. 2007 -- Disney Magic 10-night Mediterranean
Aug. 2007 -- Disney Magic 14-night Transatlantic; Aug. 2008 -- NCL Pride of America -- 7-night Hawaiian & Vow Renewal; Oct. 2009 -- Disney Magic -- 7-night Caribbean
July 2010 -- RV "Land Cruise" -- 30-days covering the West; May 2011 -- Disney Dream -- 4-night Bahama
June 2011 -- RV "Land Cruise" -- 30-days finishing the West and South!
May 2012 -- HAL Zaandam -- 7-night Alaska cruise/12 night cruisetour (thus completing our 50th state!)
August 2013 -- Carnival Glory -- 4-night NYC to St John, NB
Sept 2013 -- HAL Eurodam -- 10-night Colors of Canada/NE Cruise from Quebec to NYC
Dec. 2014 -- Disney Fantasy 7-night Eastern with San Juan port (our platinum cruise & 4th Disney ship!)
August 2015 -- Royal Princess -- 12-night British Isles Cruise R/T from Southampton

January 2016 -- Wonder 7-night Southern Caribbean out of San Juan; February 2016 -- Wonder 5-night Repo from San Juan to Miami
RedSox68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:06 PM   #2005
jilljill
Collects Disney men!
I had to go and write a novel didn't I?!
Come on over and join our thread

Location: 13-14½ hours drive from WDW - depending on who is driving (lol) OR 5 minutes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSox68 View Post
Huh, interesting. When I checked on the Amtrak site, it said no kiosk and I even printed the page to remind me. Then when I called to check with Amtrak, they said no kiosk. Someone needs to update their staff
Sounds like they have the same training staff that DCL uses. I think there were 2 or 3 kiosks over by the baggage check in area, which is by the ticket windows.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:20 AM   #2006
poohj80
Got Hunny?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jilljill View Post
Sounds like they have the same training staff that DCL uses. I think there were 2 or 3 kiosks over by the baggage check in area, which is by the ticket windows.
We saw them too, but had already printed as well.

FINALLY found Snow White after she was MIA dealing with a strike at the mine all week
poohj80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 04:36 PM   #2007
Epcotopia
Like a grand and miraculous spaceship, our planet has sailed through the universe of time....

Hello all,

I noticed the exchange rate from USD to CAD is almost 1:1 (actually 1 to .9923). Forgive my ignorance as I've never been to Canada but should we exchange currency or is the exchange rate close enough that USD are accepted everywhere?

Thanks all!
Epcotopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 05:22 PM   #2008
trimix
DIS Veteran

Just about every place will take your credit cards; living just south of the border I have noticed that a lot of shops are not willing to take US currency.

I always carry Canadian currency when I am crossing the border, and have suggested to everybody on my cruise meet thread that they get some Canadian cash before our cruise - if you are going to Alaska this summer, you won't find any banks open in Victoria on a Sunday evening!

Disneyland more times than I can count.
WDW 8/2008
Disney Magic - Western Caribbean 8/2009
Disney Wonder - West Coast repo 4/2011
trimix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 06:07 PM   #2009
mellers
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epcotopia View Post
Hello all,

I noticed the exchange rate from USD to CAD is almost 1:1 (actually 1 to .9923). Forgive my ignorance as I've never been to Canada but should we exchange currency or is the exchange rate close enough that USD are accepted everywhere?

Thanks all!
My suggestion, if you want the best exchange rate, is to use your ATM card at an ATM as soon as you get to Canada.

Old 04-21-2012, 10:35 AM   #2010
poohj80
Got Hunny?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epcotopia View Post
Hello all,

Thanks all!
Depends on how long you are staying. We were only in Vancouver one night before our cruise so didn't worry about exchanging currency and we were fine, but know the exchange rate before you go as some places accepted US dollars but tried to overcharge us or not give us back enough change.

FINALLY found Snow White after she was MIA dealing with a strike at the mine all week
poohj80 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: