Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 04-02-2012, 07:31 PM   #1981
trimix
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Bellingham, WA
Posts: 1,891

I live near the Cascades route and take it to Seattle occasionally. The only times I have had assigned seats is when business class is full or close to it, and haven't found out until i board.
__________________

Disneyland more times than I can count.
WDW 8/2008
Disney Magic - Western Caribbean 8/2009
Disney Wonder - West Coast repo 4/2011
trimix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:22 PM   #1982
poohj80
Got Hunny?
 
poohj80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Sweet Home Alabama
Posts: 5,736

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyholic family View Post
did you already get your seat assignments for the business seats?
You will still get your seat assignments the day of the train ride.
__________________

FINALLY found Snow White after she was MIA dealing with a strike at the mine all week
poohj80 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 04-02-2012, 08:30 PM   #1983
Caropooh
POO, are you? POO POO, POO POO!
I LOVE wiggling my kids teeth!
Drives a braille van
 
Caropooh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 11,094

----
__________________
Carolyn Andrew (alanapapa) DD15 DD20

Last edited by Caropooh; 04-03-2012 at 07:42 AM.
Caropooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:14 AM   #1984
Smokey91
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 49

Need help planning 9/3/12 Alaska Seattle to Vancouver cruise

The cruise we are taking is leaving out of Seattle, and debarks in
Vancouver. We would like to spend time in Seattle prior to the trip, some
time in Vancouver after the trip, and also go to Victoria on our own as
this cruise does not stop there.

We have not booked air yet, and although I would prefer to fly non-stop in to
Seattle and out of Vancouver it appears it's less expensive to do the air
round trip to/from Seattle.

My problem and questions:
1. Where to stay in Seattle that would be easy and accessible for us to
get from airport to hotel, hotel convenient to sights to see, and getting
to the port in Seattle, without renting a car.
2. Getting from port in Vancouver to hotel that is convenient to sights,
and then getting back to Seattle if we do not fly out of Vancouver, without renting a car.
3. Are we better of seeing and getting to Victoria from Seattle or
Vancouver?

I appreciate any information that you can provide to me in advance to
assist in making this process easier.
Smokey91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:13 AM   #1985
trimix
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Bellingham, WA
Posts: 1,891

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey91 View Post
My problem and questions:
1. Where to stay in Seattle that would be easy and accessible for us to
get from airport to hotel, hotel convenient to sights to see, and getting
to the port in Seattle, without renting a car.
2. Getting from port in Vancouver to hotel that is convenient to sights,
and then getting back to Seattle if we do not fly out of Vancouver, without renting a car.
3. Are we better of seeing and getting to Victoria from Seattle or
Vancouver?
I can't help with 2, but:
1) I would suggest the airport Hilton. They will pick you up, are right across the street from the light rail station, and you could use DCL transfers or a shuttle service to get to the port. Light rail will get you downtown where walking, a bus, or the monorail will get you to the downtown attractions. The museum of flight is accessible with the light rail and a bus.

3) with your luggage, go to Seattle first and use the Victoria Clipper. The mainland ferry terminal is over 20 miles from downtown Vancouver, and the island terminal is over 20 miles from downtown Victoria.
__________________

Disneyland more times than I can count.
WDW 8/2008
Disney Magic - Western Caribbean 8/2009
Disney Wonder - West Coast repo 4/2011
trimix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:48 AM   #1986
mellers
DIS Veteran
 
mellers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,042

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey91 View Post
1. Where to stay in Seattle that would be easy and accessible for us to
get from airport to hotel, hotel convenient to sights to see, and getting
to the port in Seattle, without renting a car.
Any airport hotel is good for this, or, if you want to go more upscale, the Mayflower Park Downtown is good. I would recommend, if you have more than 2 in your party, forget about DCL transfers to the cruise and hire a car. If you don't mind going for more of a "taxicab" vibe, go for http://www.eastsideforhire.com/ - they are usually cheapest. Otherwise, I've had good luck with http://www.seattlegreenlimo.com/ .

To get to downtown from the airport, just take a shuttle to the airport and hop on the light rail. If you want to go to Pike Place Market or the Space Needle, get off at Westlake Center--it's about a 1/2 mile walk to Pike Place from there, or, if you take an elevator to the top of Westlake Center, you can catch the monorail over to Seattle Center, which is where the Space Needle, Pacific Science Center, Experience Music Project, and Ride the Ducks are. Ride the Ducks also leaves from Westlake Center now, I believe.

Quote:
2. Getting from port in Vancouver to hotel that is convenient to sights,
and then getting back to Seattle if we do not fly out of Vancouver, without renting a car.
Take the QuickShuttle http://www.quickcoach.com/. They have a pickup schedule with several hotels in the Vancouver area. We're planning to take a taxi from the port to the Westin Bayshore, stay at the hotel for a few days, and take the QuickShuttle back to Seattle. It goes directly to Sea-Tac.

Another possibility, depending upon what airline you like to fly, is flying out of Bellingham, WA. You can also take the QuickShuttle there, and it is closer to Vancouver than Seattle.

Quote:
3. Are we better of seeing and getting to Victoria from Seattle or
Vancouver?
Either way works. You would probably want to take the Victoria Clipper ( http://www.clippervacations.com/ ) if you plan to go from Seattle.

If you plan to go from Vancouver, the Crosswater may be a good choice:

http://www.pacificcoach.com/Bus-Coac...er-to-Victoria

If you take the Crosswater, you can go from Vancouver to Victoria, and then take a one-way on the Clipper to Seattle, or go in the opposite direction. They do have service to-from the cruise terminal, as I recall.

Have a wonderful trip!
__________________
Mellers DH DD


mellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 07:31 PM   #1987
jilljill
Collects Disney men!
I had to go and write a novel didn't I?!
Come on over and join our thread
 
jilljill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: 13-14½ hours drive from WDW - depending on who is driving (lol) OR 5 minutes!
Posts: 18,143

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey91 View Post
The cruise we are taking is leaving out of Seattle, and debarks in
Vancouver. We would like to spend time in Seattle prior to the trip, some
time in Vancouver after the trip, and also go to Victoria on our own as
this cruise does not stop there.

We have not booked air yet, and although I would prefer to fly non-stop in to
Seattle and out of Vancouver it appears it's less expensive to do the air
round trip to/from Seattle.

My problem and questions:
1. Where to stay in Seattle that would be easy and accessible for us to
get from airport to hotel, hotel convenient to sights to see, and getting
to the port in Seattle, without renting a car.
2. Getting from port in Vancouver to hotel that is convenient to sights,
and then getting back to Seattle if we do not fly out of Vancouver, without renting a car.
3. Are we better of seeing and getting to Victoria from Seattle or
Vancouver?

I appreciate any information that you can provide to me in advance to
assist in making this process easier.
Here's the link to the 'Official Seattle' thread on DIS: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2838598

We did the DCL AK cruise last summer and flew into Seattle, since it was cheaper, and then flew out of Vancouver since it was the same price as leaving from Seattle.
In Seattle we stayed at the Sheraton near the Westlake and in Vancouver we stayed at the Sheraton Wall Center. I was able to get the Vancouver hotel on Priceline for around $140 US/night for the 2 nights before our cruise. Both hotels were very convenient to the sights.
__________________
Disneynutinlondon hit me
jilljill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:23 PM   #1988
RedSox68
DIS Veteran
 
RedSox68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,463

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyholic family View Post
did you already get your seat assignments for the business seats?
They don't assign seats. I was just able to print the boarding passes so I don't have to wait until the ticket window opens (or wait in line). They don't have a ticket kiosk at either Seattle or Vancouver I was told.

As for Seattle hotels, we are staying at the Inn at the Market the one night pre-cruise (which is right across from Pike Place Market) and upon our return post-cruise, we are spending 4-nights at the Silver Cloud Inn-Lake Union. Very reasonable rates, high marks on Trip Advisor and they have a free shuttle all day to and from downtown.
__________________

Nov. 2000 -- Disney Wonder -- 4-night Bahama
Nov. 2002 -- Disney Magic -- 7-night Caribbean
Aug. 2004 -- Disney Magic -- 7-night Caribbean
Aug. 2005 -- Disney Magic -- 14-night Panama Canal
Aug. 2006 -- Disney Wonder -- 10 night Southern Caribbean
Aug. 2007 -- Disney Magic -- 10-night Mediterranean
Aug. 2007 -- Disney Magic -- 14-night Transatlantic
Aug. 2008 -- NCL Pride of America -- 7-night Hawaiian & Vow Renewal
Oct. 2009 -- Disney Magic -- 7-night Caribbean
July 2010 -- RV "Land Cruise" -- 30-days covering the West
May 2011 -- Disney Dream -- 4-night Bahama
June 2011 -- RV "Land Cruise" -- 30-days finishing the West and South!
May 2012 -- HAL Zaandam -- 7-night Alaska cruise/12 night cruisetour (thus completing our 50th state!)
August 2013 -- Carnival Glory -- 4-night NYC to St John, NB
Sept 2013 -- HAL Eurodam -- 10-night Colors of Canada/NE Cruise from Quebec to NYC
Dec. 2014 -- Disney Fantasy 7-night Eastern with San Juan port (our platinum cruise & 4th Disney ship!)
August 2015 -- Royal Princess -- 12-night British Isles Cruise R/T from Southampton
RedSox68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 01:41 PM   #1989
poohj80
Got Hunny?
 
poohj80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Sweet Home Alabama
Posts: 5,736

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSox68 View Post
They don't assign seats. I was just able to print the boarding passes so I don't have to wait until the ticket window opens (or wait in line). They don't have a ticket kiosk at either Seattle or Vancouver I was told.
If you have printed your boarding passes, you will need to stand in line for a seat assignment in Seattle, but there's only 1 business class car so you don't have to get there super early.
__________________

FINALLY found Snow White after she was MIA dealing with a strike at the mine all week
poohj80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 05:33 PM   #1990
trimix
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Bellingham, WA
Posts: 1,891

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohj80 View Post
If you have printed your boarding passes, you will need to stand in line for a seat assignment in Seattle, but there's only 1 business class car so you don't have to get there super early.
Actually, that is not completely accurate. If you have printed your boarding passes, you MIGHT have to stand in line for a seat assignment in Seattle, but only if business class is full.

I take the Cascades to Seattle any time I can attend a Mariners game starting in the noon or 1 PM hour, and prefer business class because coach on a train full of M's fans can get noisy. If business class is full or close to it they assign seats. Otherwise it is open seating for business class customers.

They also assign seats in coach class - on the rare occasion that coach class is full. I have seen that happen twice.
__________________

Disneyland more times than I can count.
WDW 8/2008
Disney Magic - Western Caribbean 8/2009
Disney Wonder - West Coast repo 4/2011
trimix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:27 AM   #1991
poohj80
Got Hunny?
 
poohj80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Sweet Home Alabama
Posts: 5,736

Quote:
Originally Posted by trimix View Post
Actually, that is not completely accurate. If you have printed your boarding passes, you MIGHT have to stand in line for a seat assignment in Seattle, but only if business class is full.

I take the Cascades to Seattle any time I can attend a Mariners game starting in the noon or 1 PM hour, and prefer business class because coach on a train full of M's fans can get noisy. If business class is full or close to it they assign seats. Otherwise it is open seating for business class customers.

They also assign seats in coach class - on the rare occasion that coach class is full. I have seen that happen twice.
Thanks for the update! I have only been on Cascades for the Alaskan cruise and business class was full of other cruisers so we did get seat assignments.
__________________

FINALLY found Snow White after she was MIA dealing with a strike at the mine all week
poohj80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:30 AM   #1992
queenbee99
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 588

We are doing the train to Vancouver as well and this reminded me to make reservations...so does anyone know if there is any discount for business class? Also we were planning on doing it the day we get off the boat but it either leaves at 740 am or 640pm. We would not make the 740 but what would we do with our luggage if we did the 640pm and wanted to sight see in Seattle during the day?
__________________
queenbee99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:37 AM   #1993
poohj80
Got Hunny?
 
poohj80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Sweet Home Alabama
Posts: 5,736

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenbee99 View Post
We are doing the train to Vancouver as well and this reminded me to make reservations...so does anyone know if there is any discount for business class? Also we were planning on doing it the day we get off the boat but it either leaves at 740 am or 640pm. We would not make the 740 but what would we do with our luggage if we did the 640pm and wanted to sight see in Seattle during the day?
We got a slight AAA discount, but that's all we found.
__________________

FINALLY found Snow White after she was MIA dealing with a strike at the mine all week
poohj80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:56 PM   #1994
RedSox68
DIS Veteran
 
RedSox68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,463

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenbee99 View Post
We are doing the train to Vancouver as well and this reminded me to make reservations...so does anyone know if there is any discount for business class? Also we were planning on doing it the day we get off the boat but it either leaves at 740 am or 640pm. We would not make the 740 but what would we do with our luggage if we did the 640pm and wanted to sight see in Seattle during the day?
We all got a nice AAA discount. However, I just went on Amtrak to see if business class opened for Seattle to Vancouver (which was sold out since January), and discovered the prices have really gone up. And still no business class for the one-way, but have it for the Vancouver to Seattle return.
__________________

Nov. 2000 -- Disney Wonder -- 4-night Bahama
Nov. 2002 -- Disney Magic -- 7-night Caribbean
Aug. 2004 -- Disney Magic -- 7-night Caribbean
Aug. 2005 -- Disney Magic -- 14-night Panama Canal
Aug. 2006 -- Disney Wonder -- 10 night Southern Caribbean
Aug. 2007 -- Disney Magic -- 10-night Mediterranean
Aug. 2007 -- Disney Magic -- 14-night Transatlantic
Aug. 2008 -- NCL Pride of America -- 7-night Hawaiian & Vow Renewal
Oct. 2009 -- Disney Magic -- 7-night Caribbean
July 2010 -- RV "Land Cruise" -- 30-days covering the West
May 2011 -- Disney Dream -- 4-night Bahama
June 2011 -- RV "Land Cruise" -- 30-days finishing the West and South!
May 2012 -- HAL Zaandam -- 7-night Alaska cruise/12 night cruisetour (thus completing our 50th state!)
August 2013 -- Carnival Glory -- 4-night NYC to St John, NB
Sept 2013 -- HAL Eurodam -- 10-night Colors of Canada/NE Cruise from Quebec to NYC
Dec. 2014 -- Disney Fantasy 7-night Eastern with San Juan port (our platinum cruise & 4th Disney ship!)
August 2015 -- Royal Princess -- 12-night British Isles Cruise R/T from Southampton
RedSox68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:46 PM   #1995
jilljill
Collects Disney men!
I had to go and write a novel didn't I?!
Come on over and join our thread
 
jilljill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: 13-14½ hours drive from WDW - depending on who is driving (lol) OR 5 minutes!
Posts: 18,143

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSox68 View Post
They don't assign seats. I was just able to print the boarding passes so I don't have to wait until the ticket window opens (or wait in line). They don't have a ticket kiosk at either Seattle or Vancouver I was told.
Seattle does have the ticket kiosks, I printed our's there last August.
__________________
Disneynutinlondon hit me
jilljill is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OKW lovers thread !!! bababear_50 DVC Resorts 3675 05-17-2013 07:05 PM
The Official Spring 2010 PI Thread americangeiko The College Board 744 02-25-2010 10:26 AM
OFFICIAL October 2009 thread - LET US KNOW YOUR PTR LINK! torsie24 Doing the Happy Dance! 1967 11-01-2009 09:26 PM
10/24/2009 Bash on the Boat (I'm with B.O.B.) - Thread #27 I'm with B.O.B. Disney Cruise Meets 3809 09-21-2009 08:29 PM
Weekly Freebie Thread - September 7, 2009 baby Budget Board 70 09-14-2009 10:25 AM

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:56 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: