Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2009, 11:25 AM   #31
Schachteles
DIS Veteran

So what we are looking at doing is flying into Seattle on Saturday and renting a car...check out Seattle on Saturday and then head for the border on Sunday and drive up to Vancouver and take Sunday evening and all day Monday checking out Vancouver. Will we have problems getting across the border? What about renting a car in Seattle and taking it over the border?

Schachteles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 11:36 AM   #32
gmark2000
Everything is Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schachteles View Post
What about renting a car in Seattle and taking it over the border?
You have to make it clear to the rental company that this is what you are doing. There might be an additional charge but I think you get additional paperwork that illustrates that you aren't "importing" the vehicle.
Mediterranean Mouseketeers 7/13/13 | Fantasy Fans 4/7/12 | Bahamas Bound 3/13/11 | November Nauticals Bounceback 11/19/09 | Cruisin' to the Crucians 01/31/09 | Krewe de la Wonder 02/03/08 | Happy Laid Back Cruisers 02/03/07
gmark2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-16-2009, 12:07 PM   #33
Schachteles
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmark2000 View Post
You have to make it clear to the rental company that this is what you are doing. There might be an additional charge but I think you get additional paperwork that illustrates that you aren't "importing" the vehicle.
HMMM...I feel this getting more and more complicated and in turn VERY VERY expensive.

Old 09-16-2009, 12:24 PM   #34
mrsmoore
Mouseketeer

Quote:
So what we are looking at doing is flying into Seattle on Saturday and renting a car...check out Seattle on Saturday and then head for the border on Sunday and drive up to Vancouver and take Sunday evening and all day Monday checking out Vancouver. Will we have problems getting across the border? What about renting a car in Seattle and taking it over the border?
We tried to rent a car coming home from Vancouver, and were told there would be an extra $300 fee to drop it off in the US (we are in Seattle area), so we did a town car instead (I got sick unexpectedly). I would highly recommend Amtrak, then maybe rent the car when you get to Vancouver for getting around.

February 15-19, 2009 - Disneyland, DoubleTree Suites
June 12-17 2010 - Disneyland, Annabella Hotel TRIP REPORT
July 16-22 2013 - Disneyland, Annabella Hotel TRIP REPORT

mrsmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 12:33 PM   #35
Schachteles
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmoore View Post
We tried to rent a car coming home from Vancouver, and were told there would be an extra $300 fee to drop it off in the US (we are in Seattle area), so we did a town car instead (I got sick unexpectedly). I would highly recommend Amtrak, then maybe rent the car when you get to Vancouver for getting around.
Good to know. How much time do you think someone could spend in Vancouver checking it out?

Old 09-16-2009, 01:10 PM   #36
gmark2000
Everything is Disney

DCL might have shuttles from Sea-Tac airport in place by 2011. How do the other numerous cruiselines manage?
Mediterranean Mouseketeers 7/13/13 | Fantasy Fans 4/7/12 | Bahamas Bound 3/13/11 | November Nauticals Bounceback 11/19/09 | Cruisin' to the Crucians 01/31/09 | Krewe de la Wonder 02/03/08 | Happy Laid Back Cruisers 02/03/07
gmark2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 11:21 PM   #37
Pinkgurlshubby
Has not been blessed by the TF <-really? Huh, looks like you have to me! *~*SPF*~*
Think of a happy place, think of a happy place

Quote:
Good to know. How much time do you think someone could spend in Vancouver checking it out?
You could spend weeks in Vacnouver. I posted a bunch of links on another thread but I figure this is Lollipop's mom's thread and she can add any of the info and the mods can might it a sticky note as has been suggested.
You can spend a day at the Vancouver Aquarium, a day at Science World, I wouldn't even think of going to Vancouver without spending at least half a day at Granville Island and even take an Aqua Bus harbor cruise. All these places have links.

May 2012 WDW All Star Movies
December 1-5 2013 Dream - Holidays with Mickey
January 9-14 2015 Wonder
Pinkgurlshubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 12:18 AM   #38
Anj
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Argh, I had typed up a thread and it has disappeared.

Here's my quick and dirty answer:
I've done the main city sites (meaning, not Grouse, Whistler, Capilano) in a day driving around and not getting out of the car. This would be my planned itinerary to actually see some of the city:
Day One - Grouse Mountain, Capilano Suspension Bridge and Lonsdale Quay
Day 2 - drive to Whistler and spend the day
Day 3 - Victoria
Day 4, 5 & 6 (and possibly more) (this is a bit more kid centered)- Stanley Park, Vancouver Aquarium, Science World, Planetarium, Granville Island, Gastown, Harbour Centre (go up to the observation platform), shop on Robson Street, Museum of Anthropology (if I had time), Chinatown. My kids even love just riding the skytrain, the last stop is at Waterfront (where the port is) and take the Seabus over to Lonsdale Quay. For antiques, I might even head to the New Westminster Quay area (on the skytrain route).

Last edited by Anj; 09-17-2009 at 05:56 AM. Reason: forgot Victoria, can't forget Victoria
Anj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 11:04 AM   #39
pjacobi
DIS Veteran

1-day pass for public transportation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momrow View Post
I would consider taking public transit to the bridge - a trip accross the water on the Seabus - which is at Canada Place - and then one bus.
Yes, this is the best option! You can buy a 1-day pass that covers Seabus ferry and the bus runs very frequently between ferry terminal, Grouse Mountain and the suspension bridge.

Grouse Mountain and the suspension bridge can be combined easily into a enjoyable 1-day excursion.

Food at top of Grouse Mountain was expensive, but reasonable. There was a better selection and was cheaper than at the suspension bridge.

-Paul
pjacobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 12:08 PM   #40
northyvr
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anj View Post
Argh, I had typed up a thread and it has disappeared.

Here's my quick and dirty answer:
I've done the main city sites (meaning, not Grouse, Whistler, Capilano) in a day driving around and not getting out of the car. This would be my planned itinerary to actually see some of the city:
Day One - Grouse Mountain, Capilano Suspension Bridge and Lonsdale Quay
Day 2 - drive to Whistler and spend the day
Day 3 - Victoria
Day 4, 5 & 6 (and possibly more) (this is a bit more kid centered)- Stanley Park, Vancouver Aquarium, Science World, Planetarium, Granville Island, Gastown, Harbour Centre (go up to the observation platform), shop on Robson Street, Museum of Anthropology (if I had time), Chinatown. My kids even love just riding the skytrain, the last stop is at Waterfront (where the port is) and take the Seabus over to Lonsdale Quay. For antiques, I might even head to the New Westminster Quay area (on the skytrain route).

I would actually suggest longer that just a day trip to Whistler. Whistler is a worthwhile destination of it's own. We love it so much we bought a vacation home there! Quick suggestions of summer activities at Whistler:

world class mountain biking, hiking, sightseeing by using the Peak 2 Peak gondola, glacier skiing, bear viewing, swimming in glacier fed lakes, canoeing, river rafting, taking Rocky Mountaineer train to/from Whistler, cycling the valley trail, ziptreking, golfing, people watching in the village.

Vancouver is great (we live there) but we absolutely LOVE Whister!

Here's a link to Whistler's official website:
www.whistlerblackcomb.com
northyvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 12:38 PM   #41
pillow
DIS Veteran

Parking question

Does anyone know if the port hotels will let you leave your car parked there while on the cruise (like the Port Canaveral hotels)? It sounds like the port parking is pretty high.

Jodie
pillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 12:55 PM   #42
Momrow
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillow View Post
Does anyone know if the port hotels will let you leave your car parked there while on the cruise (like the Port Canaveral hotels)? It sounds like the port parking is pretty high.

Jodie
I am sure the hotels would charge more than the port parking - which at current rates is $20/day.

http://www.vinciparkcanadaplace.com/...e-a-space.html
Momrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 01:17 PM   #43
Anj
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by northyvr View Post
I would actually suggest longer that just a day trip to Whistler. Whistler is a worthwhile destination of it's own. We love it so much we bought a vacation home there! Quick suggestions of summer activities at Whistler:

world class mountain biking, hiking, sightseeing by using the Peak 2 Peak gondola, glacier skiing, bear viewing, swimming in glacier fed lakes, canoeing, river rafting, taking Rocky Mountaineer train to/from Whistler, cycling the valley trail, ziptreking, golfing, people watching in the village.

Vancouver is great (we live there) but we absolutely LOVE Whister!

Here's a link to Whistler's official website:
www.whistlerblackcomb.com
Absolutely, if people have more time, stay longer! We go up there for a three day weekend and don't 'see' everything. There's much more to see in Vancouver and the surrounding areas too. I was just trying to write up a few highlights that I would try to see if I was on a limited time schedule (even though I did write up 5 days!). Because I'd also want to stop in White Rock.
Anj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 01:42 PM   #44
pillow
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momrow View Post
I am sure the hotels would charge more than the port parking - which at current rates is $20/day.

http://www.vinciparkcanadaplace.com/...e-a-space.html
Many hotels in Port Canaveral allow you to leave your car at the hotel for FREE if you stay there at least one night before or after your cruise. I'm wondering if any of the hotels at the Vancouver port offer the same deal.

Jodie
pillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 01:47 PM   #45
Momrow
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillow View Post
Many hotels in Port Canaveral allow you to leave your car at the hotel for FREE if you stay there at least one night before or after your cruise. I'm wondering if any of the hotels at the Vancouver port offer the same deal.

Jodie
I'm going to guess no, as the Cruise ship terminal is downtown and parking is at preimium there. It may be different if you stay closer to the airport in Richmond, that's probably worth checking out.
Momrow is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: