Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2009, 10:57 PM   #16
trimix
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmark2000 View Post
Re-posted from another thread:

I grew up in Vancouver and return regularly.

These lists really sum up the highlights:

I wouldn't miss going up to Grouse Mountain (weather permitting).

I heartily agree!
For the insane / idiotic / overcompetitive, or for those of us who have something to prove, take the gondola one way - down!
The climb is only 1.8 miles, but it is a 2800 foot elevation gain - a 30 degree continuous uphill slope!

You can't imagine how much it hurts if you haven't done it. But, then again, you can't imagine the sense of accomplishment and personal pride you feel from accomplishing what most people are too lazy to try!

Disneyland more times than I can count.
WDW 8/2008
Disney Magic - Western Caribbean 8/2009
Disney Wonder - West Coast repo 4/2011
trimix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 02:13 PM   #17
RedSox68
DIS Veteran

This is a terrific thread. Thanks for starting it.

However, that suspension bridge pic made my heart stop

Nov. 2000 -- Disney Wonder -- 4-night Bahama; Nov. 2002 -- Disney Magic 7-night Caribbean; Aug. 2004 -- Disney Magic 7-night Caribbean;
Aug. 2005 -- Disney Magic 14-night Panama Canal; Aug. 2006 -- Disney Wonder 10 night Southern Caribbean; Aug. 2007 -- Disney Magic 10-night Mediterranean
Aug. 2007 -- Disney Magic 14-night Transatlantic; Aug. 2008 -- NCL Pride of America -- 7-night Hawaiian & Vow Renewal; Oct. 2009 -- Disney Magic -- 7-night Caribbean
July 2010 -- RV "Land Cruise" -- 30-days covering the West; May 2011 -- Disney Dream -- 4-night Bahama
June 2011 -- RV "Land Cruise" -- 30-days finishing the West and South!
May 2012 -- HAL Zaandam -- 7-night Alaska cruise/12 night cruisetour (thus completing our 50th state!)
August 2013 -- Carnival Glory -- 4-night NYC to St John, NB
Sept 2013 -- HAL Eurodam -- 10-night Colors of Canada/NE Cruise from Quebec to NYC
Dec. 2014 -- Disney Fantasy 7-night Eastern with San Juan port (our platinum cruise & 4th Disney ship!)
August 2015 -- Royal Princess -- 12-night British Isles Cruise R/T from Southampton

January 2016 -- Wonder 7-night Southern Caribbean out of San Juan; February 2016 -- Wonder 5-night Repo from San Juan to Miami
RedSox68 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-15-2009, 02:26 PM   #18
HappyGrumpy
DIS Veteran

Which Hotel Listed is Closest to...

the Suspension bridge and Canada Place?

We are going to fly in the day before and the flights I am seeing get us there at about 130pm. If we leave the AP get our luggage checked in:

#1 Will there be time to see those sights?
#2)Will we need a taxi?

Thanks Ya'll!

HG
HappyGrumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 02:53 PM   #19
purplern
DIS Veteran

Great information!! Thanks!!

Dixie landings-92 Carribean beach-03 AKL-03 Wilderness lodge-04 POR-06 Disney Wonder-06 Grand Floridian & Disney Magic 08
purplern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 03:18 PM   #20
NCRedding
I've strayed
Found DH's pause button. Looking for fast forward
Prep H works

We stayed at the Fairmont Waterfront when we did an Alaskan cruise 6 years ago. Awesome hotel and great location for sightseeing and for sailing out of Canada Place (unfortunately, we sailed from Ballantyne).

I loved Vancouver; if at all possible you should fly in early and see this beautiful town. It also helps get your body acclimated to the time change (if coming from the east coast).
NCRedding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 05:12 PM   #21
BLTOH
Earned my Ears Years ago just going for replacements ones now!

after a nite and day of researching it looks like the cheapest way for us is to fly into washington and then take the amtrak to vancouver. my questions are 1. how close is the amtrak to the cruise terminals? walking distance or cab ride?
2. Does the amtrak ever get held up at the border or is it a pretty smooth ride?
3.How close is the skytrain to the cruise terminals? like walking distance or cab ride?
4. With us going over the US 4th of July holiday is it worth staying in washington for the 4th and then going to vancouver the day of the cruise?

Trying to plan when we would leave and return and the border crossings. would hate to travel on day of cruise to the port only to get held up at the border.

thought of more to add...lol the excursions.. my daughter will be 8 at time of cruise..there there many age restrictions to the excursions?
2011 7/5/11 Alaska
2006 DCL Wonder
WDWnumerous times
2000 DCL Magic
1998 WDW Wedding

Last edited by BLTOH; 09-15-2009 at 05:26 PM.
BLTOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 05:24 PM   #22
trimix
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyGrumpy View Post
the Suspension bridge and Canada Place?

We are going to fly in the day before and the flights I am seeing get us there at about 130pm. If we leave the AP get our luggage checked in:

#1 Will there be time to see those sights?
#2)Will we need a taxi?

Thanks Ya'll!

HG
Canada Place is where the cruise ship terminal is, so I am sure you will see it regardless.
To visit the Capilano suspension bridge, your best bet would probably be a rental car.

WDW 8/2008
Old 09-15-2009, 08:36 PM   #23
HappyGrumpy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Canada Place is where the cruise ship terminal is, so I am sure you will see it regardless.
To visit the Capilano suspension bridge, your best bet would probably be a rental car.
Do you have an idea( approximate) of how long the drive is from the hotels are via rental car to the bridge? I may need to see if one of the hotels you listed has a rental company on the premises.

Thx,
HG
HappyGrumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 09:31 PM   #24
Momrow
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyGrumpy View Post
Do you have an idea( approximate) of how long the drive is from the hotels are via rental car to the bridge? I may need to see if one of the hotels you listed has a rental company on the premises.

Thx,
HG
I would consider taking public transit to the bridge - a trip accross the water on the Seabus - which is at Canada Place - and then one bus. My husband and daughter took it to Grouse Mountain (which is on the same bus route, a few minutes uphill) and didn't have any problems. I've rented cars downtown, not at a hotel, but there is a rental car place at the Hotel Vancouver (which is very close to the Sutton Place) and probably at one of the Pan Pacific/Fairmont Waterfront. Downtown is not very large. If you do rent a car, about a 20 minute drive if it's not rush hour. Transit would be closer to 45 minutes, in my estimate.
Momrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 10:05 PM   #25
mousemom11
Wild Women Do Disney and They Don't Regret It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLTOH View Post
after a nite and day of researching it looks like the cheapest way for us is to fly into washington and then take the amtrak to vancouver. my questions are 1. how close is the amtrak to the cruise terminals? walking distance or cab ride?
2. Does the amtrak ever get held up at the border or is it a pretty smooth ride?
3.How close is the skytrain to the cruise terminals? like walking distance or cab ride?
4. With us going over the US 4th of July holiday is it worth staying in washington for the 4th and then going to vancouver the day of the cruise?

Trying to plan when we would leave and return and the border crossings. would hate to travel on day of cruise to the port only to get held up at the border.

thought of more to add...lol the excursions.. my daughter will be 8 at time of cruise..there there many age restrictions to the excursions?
Just an FYI, it is about 15 miles from SeaTac airport to the Seattle Amtrak station. A cab ride will run you about $40 and a shared-ride van (Shuttle Express) will be about $30.

On another thread, someone said that it was a short cab ride (about $7) from the Vancouver Amtrak station to the cruise terminal.

I looked on the Amtrak website, but I couldn't find anywhere where it said whether or not they stop the train at the border. My best guess, after looking at the train schedules, would be that you would go through customs when you get off the train in Vancouver.

It looks like the Skytrain Waterfront station is about a block from the Canada Place terminals from what I could tell on google.

I would be careful about going up to Vancouver from Washington the day of the cruise. Someone on another thread said that they were told by DCL that if you miss the boat in Vancouver, you will not be allowed to get on at any other port (it has to do with foreign port regulations). We live in Washington and will drive up to Vancouver, but because of that, we're going to drive up the day before. Any number of things could happen to delay you. Flat tire, lines at the border, traffic accidents, road construction.

1996 Honeymoon at WDW 2002 Disneyland GC 2003 Disneyland GC (Concierge) 2005 Disneyland GC at Christmas 10/08 DLH
2009 WDW and Disney Magic Western DD 2010 Mediterranean RCCL Brilliance of the Seas
2011 Alaska Disney Wonder 2012 WDW and Disney Fantasy Eastern 2013 RCCL Allure B2B Western and Eastern
2014 Disney Magic Christmas Western 2015 Disney Magic Baltics
mousemom11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 11:44 PM   #26
Momrow
Mouseketeer

Quote:

#1 - it's a couple minutes' walk t o the skytrain station, which goes to Canada Place.
#3 - skytrain is at the cruise ship terminal.
#4 - I would cross the day before, for the reasons the PP suggested unless you leave Seattle at 7am. But given the choice, I would cross the day before.
Momrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 11:59 PM   #27
jlmarr
You got that right

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousemom11 View Post
I looked on the Amtrak website, but I couldn't find anywhere where it said whether or not they stop the train at the border. My best guess, after looking at the train schedules, would be that you would go through customs when you get off the train in Vancouver.
Yes, customs after you get off the train. Another tip - we paid a bit extra for business class on the Amtrak Cascades, and they let biz class off the train first. All of the other cars had to wait, presumably one-by-one, to disembark. Even though we weren't pushing it we happened to catch the first cab out of the train station for Ballantyne.

Quote:
It looks like the Skytrain Waterfront station is about a block from the Canada Place terminals from what I could tell on google.
Yes, it's very close, an easy walk even with bags in tow. On our other cruise out of Vancouver we stayed in Burnaby and took the Skytrain to the end of the line near Canada Place. Yes, bags on the Skytrain. Wouldn't do that again, but that's another story.
jlmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 12:15 AM   #28
trimix
DIS Veteran

Quote:
1) Too far to walk, so walk across the street and take a six minute ride on the Skytrain.
2) I've never heard of a holdup northbound, but be patient southbound. Customs and Border Patrol will not let the train move until every single person has been checked. Understandably, sometimes the southbound trains are held up.
3) The station is AT the cruise terminal!
4) Awesome fireworks at Lake Union! But, I like to take it easy so I would head north on the 4th.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousemom11 View Post
Just an FYI, it is about 15 miles from SeaTac airport to the Seattle Amtrak station.
This is outdated information. Seattle has opened light rail from downtown almost to the airport, and plans to finish the route by December - months before the Wonder heads north. It will be about a two block walk from the International District light rail station to the Amtrak station - here's a map. If you can get your luggage across the airport from baggage claim to the light rail station, getting from the other station to Amtrak will be trivial.

WDW 8/2008
Old 09-16-2009, 09:00 AM   #29
delta0413
Cruise Junkie

So glad to see that DCL is joining the Alaska market. DW and I LOVE Vancouver, BC... it is one of our favorite cities in North America.

Big recommendation for Sutton Place. DW and I have had the pleasure of staying there twice and we have been blown away (in a good way) both times. We've didn't see any stars while we were there (quite frankly, I couldn't care less about them).

Aside from the great accommodations and service, its location is also top notch. It is one block away from the shopping/restaurant area of downtown. We've eaten at some really cool restaurants while there.
Old 09-16-2009, 11:13 AM   #30
WestCoaster
Earning My Ears

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before, but the new Canada Line skytrain has been running for about a month now.

For those flying into YVR, the skytrain ride is about 25 minutes to downtown right to the Cruise Ship terminal at Waterfront.

This is my first post, so I can't post links yet, but you can search "Canada Line" on any search engine for more information.

I've lived in the Vancouver area all of my life, and welcome any questions any of you might have.
WestCoaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: