Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 02-18-2013, 09:46 PM   #2116
Mackie Mouse
Even my dog loves Disney
 
Mackie Mouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Suburbs of Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 796

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcaPotter View Post
Thanks! Did you take a cab to the port? How much did that cost you?
We haven't taken our trip yet - sorry if my post sounded misleading! We will likely take a cab to the port, and will take a cab from the airport to our hotel. (Our flight gets in after the trains stop running...so really late at night :P)

This website should help with approximate cab fare calculations, though! http://www.taxifarefinder.com/main.php?city=Vancouver

Right now, it's estimating about $40 for fare from the airport to our hotel, and less than $10 to the port, since the Westin Grand is only about a mile away. (Again...just not walking distance while lugging all our baggage!)
__________________
2009 WDW/DCL Honeymoon....2011 WDW/DCL Anniversary....2013 DLR 1st Visit....2013 DCL Birthday in Alaska....
.........
Mackie Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:28 PM   #2117
jilljill
Collects Disney men!
I had to go and write a novel didn't I?!
Come on over and join our thread
 
jilljill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: 13-14½ hours drive from WDW - depending on who is driving (lol) OR 5 minutes!
Posts: 18,143

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcaPotter View Post
Thanks! Did you take a cab to the port? How much did that cost you?
We stayed at the Sheraton Wall Center, which wasn't that far from the port but didn't want to walk it with luggage, and took a cab to the port and it was around $6 or $7 if that much.
Our cab from the port to the airport was $35.
This was in 2011 so the prices may increase slightly for this year.
__________________
Disneynutinlondon hit me
jilljill is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 02-18-2013, 10:55 PM   #2118
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran
 
lilpooh108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Depends on the moment
Posts: 4,326

Random note for anyone not familiar w/Canadian law re alcohol---my family members were not aware that they could not buy alcohol unless they were at a Government store or wine shop.

They kept searching and searching in drugstores/supermarkets, to be told that they needed to go specific stores that sold alcohol. They were specifically looking for wine.

I didn't go on this trip so I don't have details, but just something to keep in mind.
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:11 AM   #2119
Lollipop's Mom
Special trip with your little one ~~ PRICELESS!
 
Lollipop's Mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 4,035

I guess we are getting close to Vancouver season again! I will keep better watch on this thread. I will also update the first post in the next week or so.
__________________



Sept 2015 - Disney Wonder Hawaii
Sept 2014 - Caribbean Beach Resort
Dec 2013 - Disneyland
May 2013 -Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean
March 2013 -AKL Jambo Studio & AKL Jambo Concierge, & POR Princess Room
March 2012 -Disney Wonder Mexico
March 2012 - Disneyland
May 2011 - Disney Wonder Alaska
Apr 2010 - Disneyland
Jan 2010 -Disneyland
Jan 2009 - Disney Magic Western Caribbean
Jan 2009 - POFQ
Jan 2008 - POP
April 2007 - Disneyland
Sept 2000 - Disneyland
Jan 2000 -BWV Studio
Sept 1994 - All Star Sports
April 1977 -Contemporary



Lollipop's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:52 AM   #2120
SG101
Mouseketeer
 
SG101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Southern California
Posts: 230

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackie Mouse View Post
We haven't taken our trip yet - sorry if my post sounded misleading! We will likely take a cab to the port, and will take a cab from the airport to our hotel. (Our flight gets in after the trains stop running...so really late at night :P)

This website should help with approximate cab fare calculations, though! http://www.taxifarefinder.com/main.php?city=Vancouver

Right now, it's estimating about $40 for fare from the airport to our hotel, and less than $10 to the port, since the Westin Grand is only about a mile away. (Again...just not walking distance while lugging all our baggage!)
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! This was so easy to use and helped me estimate what transportation should cost my family,
__________________
Love Sailing DCL!!!
* Disney Wonder 3 Days Bahamas October 2000
* Disney Wonder 3 Days Bahamas October 2001
* Disney Wonder 7 Days Mexican Riviera April 2011
* Disney Fantasy 7 Days Western Caribbean Feb 2013
* Disney Wonder 7 Days Alaska June 2014 (We're finally Gold!!!)
* Disney Wonder 5 Days San Diego October 2015
SG101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:15 PM   #2121
amandaroseziegler
First Family Cruise
 
amandaroseziegler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Leduc, Canada
Posts: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpooh108
Random note for anyone not familiar w/Canadian law re alcohol---my family members were not aware that they could not buy alcohol unless they were at a Government store or wine shop.

They kept searching and searching in drugstores/supermarkets, to be told that they needed to go specific stores that sold alcohol. They were specifically looking for wine.

I didn't go on this trip so I don't have details, but just something to keep in mind.
You have to buy at the liquor store, you buy at groceries stores in the states?
__________________
Canadian Momma
amandaroseziegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:26 PM   #2122
IBelieveInTheMagic
DIS Veteran
 
IBelieveInTheMagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 3,243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lollipop's Mom View Post
I guess we are getting close to Vancouver season again! I will keep better watch on this thread. I will also update the first post in the next week or so.
I've been thinking about you and your daughter and hope you are back home now and your daughter is feeling much better!!

Thanks to you and all the other wonderful posters full of helpful info

Take care,
Heather
__________________
(Me), (DH), (DS)
WDW: 11/2008 (MVMCP), 9-10/2009 (MNSSHP, F&W, Pirates Pal Cruise & Pirates League), 4/2010 (Flower & Garden Festival & Jedi Training), 10/2010 (MNSSHP & F&W), 6/2011 (SWW & Universal Studios), 11/2011 Girls Trip (MVMCP & Osborne Lights), 6/2012 and 11/2012 (Osborne Lights), and WDW/MNSSHP 10/2013.
DCL (Gold!): 6/2012 (KSC & Dream), 8/2012 Dream, 12/2012 Fantasy (Mom & I), 6/2013 Wonder(Alaska!), 9/2013 Dream (girls cruise) & 12/2013 Dream (girls cruise), 1/2014 Magic, 4/2014 Fantasy & 9/2014 Dream (Mom and I) Next: 12/2014 Wonder & 6/2015 (Magic-Europe)
IBelieveInTheMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:32 PM   #2123
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran
 
lilpooh108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Depends on the moment
Posts: 4,326

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandaroseziegler View Post
You have to buy at the liquor store, you buy at groceries stores in the states?
Yes. In the US you can buy alcohol in grocery stores, supermarkets, drugstores, even farmer market type stores as long as the vendor has a liquor license.

There are entire aisles in grocery stores/Whole Foods/Trader Joe's dedicated to wines, beers, etc.
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:09 PM   #2124
stepknees
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Bellevue WA
Posts: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpooh108 View Post
Yes. In the US you can buy alcohol in grocery stores, supermarkets, drugstores, even farmer market type stores as long as the vendor has a liquor license.

There are entire aisles in grocery stores/Whole Foods/Trader Joe's dedicated to wines, beers, etc.
This is only partially true. Where you can buy what type of alcohol depends on the state. For instance, you can't buy beer/wine/liquor in Pennsylvania at any of the places listed above.
stepknees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:12 PM   #2125
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran
 
lilpooh108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Depends on the moment
Posts: 4,326

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepknees View Post
This is only partially true. Where you can buy what type of alcohol depends on the state. For instance, you can't buy beer/wine/liquor in Pennsylvania at any of the places listed above.
Ok this is true. Pardon me for generalizing. I lived in Arlington, TX and that was a dry town so after 10pm we couldn't buy anything. I'd imagine it depends on where you live but for the most part, you can.

Does what you're saying apply to the entire state of Pennsylvania or a certain City? I've visited UPenn before and I don't remember specifically . . .
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:34 PM   #2126
Silly Little Pixie
My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
You work yourself up more than it really is, and when it's over you think, huh
 
Silly Little Pixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Sunny So Cal
Posts: 2,967

Anyone know if there is a florist/gift basket place we can use like The Perfect Gift in Port Canaveral? I would like to order some flowers for my cabin, and maybe a gift basket for my kids' cabin. The ones on DCL's website aren't that appealing.

Also, can we ship packages to the port?
__________________
Previous Trips to my Happy Places :
Disneyland yearly since 1978, APer 18 years and counting!
WDW 74, 77, 82, 83, 87, 89, 98, 03, yearly since '08
DCL Wonder 11/08, B2B 11/10, 3/11, Christmas 2011, 6/13
Magic 11/09, 3/10 Fantasy NYE 12/13
Dream B2B Triple Dip! 3/12



Silly Little Pixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:36 PM   #2127
Silly Little Pixie
My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
You work yourself up more than it really is, and when it's over you think, huh
 
Silly Little Pixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Sunny So Cal
Posts: 2,967

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepknees View Post
This is only partially true. Where you can buy what type of alcohol depends on the state. For instance, you can't buy beer/wine/liquor in Pennsylvania at any of the places listed above.
I do think in the majority of states you can buy in stores, although when you can buy depends on the locality.

In California you can buy every day, and in any retailer with a liquor license. Even Walmart and Target!
__________________
Previous Trips to my Happy Places :
Disneyland yearly since 1978, APer 18 years and counting!
WDW 74, 77, 82, 83, 87, 89, 98, 03, yearly since '08
DCL Wonder 11/08, B2B 11/10, 3/11, Christmas 2011, 6/13
Magic 11/09, 3/10 Fantasy NYE 12/13
Dream B2B Triple Dip! 3/12



Silly Little Pixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:06 PM   #2128
jilljill
Collects Disney men!
I had to go and write a novel didn't I?!
Come on over and join our thread
 
jilljill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: 13-14½ hours drive from WDW - depending on who is driving (lol) OR 5 minutes!
Posts: 18,143

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Little Pixie View Post
Anyone know if there is a florist/gift basket place we can use like The Perfect Gift in Port Canaveral? I would like to order some flowers for my cabin, and maybe a gift basket for my kids' cabin. The ones on DCL's website aren't that appealing.

Also, can we ship packages to the port?
You would have to order from DCL if you want those types of items in your cabin to be there when you arrive. DCL does not allow any vendors to deliver to the ship in any port, The Perfect Gift is the only exception to this rule.

Not sure about shipping a package to the Vancouver port, but the shipping charges would be high if shipping from the US.
__________________
Disneynutinlondon hit me
jilljill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:39 PM   #2129
OrcaPotter
Lucky to be local to the Mouse
 
OrcaPotter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Winter Springs (Orlando), FL
Posts: 1,039

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackie Mouse View Post
We haven't taken our trip yet - sorry if my post sounded misleading! We will likely take a cab to the port, and will take a cab from the airport to our hotel. (Our flight gets in after the trains stop running...so really late at night :P)

This website should help with approximate cab fare calculations, though! http://www.taxifarefinder.com/main.php?city=Vancouver

Right now, it's estimating about $40 for fare from the airport to our hotel, and less than $10 to the port, since the Westin Grand is only about a mile away. (Again...just not walking distance while lugging all our baggage!)
Thanks so much!

We're still waiting to book the hotel, as we really want to stay at the Pan Pacific but the price tag makes me dizzy. I might take a gamble with the name your own price on Priceline.

And now for something completely different, but I was printing the reservation confirmations for one of our excursions in Skagway and with the 7:30 departure time, realized ... what do we do for breakfast? Kind of a silly question, but how early is breakfast served on the ship? I never paid attention before because we always get room service for coffee and pastries first before going to breakfast later in the morning.
OrcaPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:55 PM   #2130
kgsmith
DIS Veteran
 
kgsmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Maryland
Posts: 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcaPotter

Thanks so much!

We're still waiting to book the hotel, as we really want to stay at the Pan Pacific but the price tag makes me dizzy. I might take a gamble with the name your own price on Priceline.

And now for something completely different, but I was printing the reservation confirmations for one of our excursions in Skagway and with the 7:30 departure time, realized ... what do we do for breakfast? Kind of a silly question, but how early is breakfast served on the ship? I never paid attention before because we always get room service for coffee and pastries first before going to breakfast later in the morning.
We ordered room service for breakfast in Skagway. I think we had it delivered between 6:00 and 6:30 (can't remember exactly -- it was two years ago!), so we could eat as we got ready. It worked out great for us.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
__________________
Karen DH DS(12)



kgsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OKW lovers thread !!! bababear_50 DVC Resorts 3675 05-17-2013 07:05 PM
The Official Spring 2010 PI Thread americangeiko The College Board 744 02-25-2010 10:26 AM
OFFICIAL October 2009 thread - LET US KNOW YOUR PTR LINK! torsie24 Doing the Happy Dance! 1967 11-01-2009 09:26 PM
10/24/2009 Bash on the Boat (I'm with B.O.B.) - Thread #27 I'm with B.O.B. Disney Cruise Meets 3809 09-21-2009 08:29 PM
Weekly Freebie Thread - September 7, 2009 baby Budget Board 70 09-14-2009 10:25 AM

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:47 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: