Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2009, 09:49 AM   #151
poohj80
Got Hunny?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutty4Disney View Post
Thanks for all the great information. I am sure I will be watching this thread closely over the next two years. We are on the last Alaskan cruise so hopefully I can gain some knowledge from those that travel before me. The only thing that scares me is airfare to Vancouver. We are thinking of flying into Seattle and taking Amtrak to Vancouver. No way would we arrive the same day. We did that with the Panama Canal Cruise and we were so stressed out traveling from the Midwest to LA I thought I was going to have a stroke. We may spend a few days in Seattle and/or Vancouver and take the shuttle back to Seattle after the cruise.
We'll be cruising with you! We are strongly considering taking the train from Seattle to Vancouver but taking the bus for the return trip. Since cruise leaves on Tues, we'll probably fly to Seattle Saturday and enjoy a day there before training to Vancouver Monday.

FINALLY found Snow White after she was MIA dealing with a strike at the mine all week
poohj80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 06:06 PM   #152
MAGICFOR2
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the info! We're planning on booking the LA-Vancouver repo with some extra points. Of course, we just decided today, and MS was closed - can't wait until tomorrow! We live in Oregon, so we'll fly one way to LA, then one way home from either Vancouver or Seattle. Looks like maybe taking a train into Seattle is a better bet?
MAGICFOR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-10-2009, 07:59 PM   #153
mrsmoore
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGICFOR2 View Post
Thanks for the info! We're planning on booking the LA-Vancouver repo with some extra points. Of course, we just decided today, and MS was closed - can't wait until tomorrow! We live in Oregon, so we'll fly one way to LA, then one way home from either Vancouver or Seattle. Looks like maybe taking a train into Seattle is a better bet?
Depending on where in Oregon you are, the same train that goes Vancouver to Seattle goes as far south as Eugene, It is the Cascade something. It might be worth a train all the way home?

February 15-19, 2009 - Disneyland, DoubleTree Suites
June 12-17 2010 - Disneyland, Annabella Hotel TRIP REPORT
July 16-22 2013 - Disneyland, Annabella Hotel TRIP REPORT

mrsmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 06:39 AM   #154
Petals & Pixie Dust
DIS Veteran

Does anyone know if there will be a formal night? Or is it too soon to tell?
Old 10-12-2009, 08:29 AM   #155
wdhinn89
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petals & Pixie Dust View Post
Does anyone know if there will be a formal night? Or is it too soon to tell?
I would think everything planned would be very similar to a typical DCL 7 day cruise. One formal night, one semi-formal night and all the usual shows.

The only exception may be Pirate Night. Curious what they do with that.
Old 10-12-2009, 07:35 PM   #156
Petals & Pixie Dust
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdhinn89 View Post
I would think everything planned would be very similar to a typical DCL 7 day cruise. One formal night, one semi-formal night and all the usual shows.

The only exception may be Pirate Night. Curious what they do with that.
Cool thanks! We have done 3 days and 4 days...but this is our first 7 days! SOOO Excited!
Old 10-14-2009, 06:57 PM   #157
BLTOH
Earned my Ears Years ago just going for replacements ones now!

Washington -vs- Vancouver

Ok at this point even though it would save us money to go into washington and then amtrak into vancouver i am considering just saying forget it and pay the extra cost to go into vancouver.
Reasons being
1: the hotel stay would be required no matter what because of the amtrak schedule
2: having an 8 yr old that may not tolerate the long time frames involved of it all
3: we have a timeshare we can use in vancouver and not have to even bother with the extra hotel expenses

My questions now are
1: what airlines do not charge for luggage for the international flight and how many would be allowed?
2: can i pack a regular bottle of shampoo and conditioner in our checked luggage with out any problems?
3.since we will be doing a timeshare what is the price range of groceries?

we have not flown since 1998 so this is a whole new experience with the new rules and such.
2011 7/5/11 Alaska
2006 DCL Wonder
WDWnumerous times
2000 DCL Magic
1998 WDW Wedding

BLTOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 07:48 PM   #158
jilljill
Collects Disney men!
I had to go and write a novel didn't I?!
Come on over and join our thread

Location: 13-14½ hours drive from WDW - depending on who is driving (lol) OR 5 minutes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLTOH View Post
Ok at this point even though it would save us money to go into washington and then amtrak into vancouver i am considering just saying forget it and pay the extra cost to go into vancouver.
Reasons being
1: the hotel stay would be required no matter what because of the amtrak schedule
2: having an 8 yr old that may not tolerate the long time frames involved of it all
3: we have a timeshare we can use in vancouver and not have to even bother with the extra hotel expenses

My questions now are
1: what airlines do not charge for luggage for the international flight and how many would be allowed?
2: can i pack a regular bottle of shampoo and conditioner in our checked luggage with out any problems?
3.since we will be doing a timeshare what is the price range of groceries?

we have not flown since 1998 so this is a whole new experience with the new rules and such.
1. Since the flight would not be a transatlantic international flight you need to check with each airline that flies out of your closest airport to see what and if their luggage fees are.
2. Yes you can pack full size bottles in your checked luggage.
Old 10-14-2009, 07:54 PM   #159
BLTOH

Quote:
Originally Posted by jilljill View Post
1. Since the flight would not be a transatlantic international flight you need to check with each airline that flies out of your closest airport to see what and if their luggage fees are.
2. Yes you can pack full size bottles in your checked luggage.
good to here on the full size bottles..didnt really want to pack baby bottles since we will be on vacation roughly 2 weeks

Northwest is the only non-stop flight near us and all their site says is Full Coach Y fare gets 2 free check luggage but then below it it says 1st 15 2nd 25 so i am confused.
2011 7/5/11 Alaska
2006 DCL Wonder
WDWnumerous times
2000 DCL Magic
1998 WDW Wedding

Old 10-14-2009, 08:21 PM   #160
jilljill
Collects Disney men!
I had to go and write a novel didn't I?!
Come on over and join our thread

Location: 13-14½ hours drive from WDW - depending on who is driving (lol) OR 5 minutes!

Quote:
good to here on the full size bottles..didnt really want to pack baby bottles since we will be on vacation roughly 2 weeks

Northwest is the only non-stop flight near us and all their site says is Full Coach Y fare gets 2 free check luggage but then below it it says 1st 15 2nd 25 so i am confused.
DCL provides shampoo, conditioner and lotion in the cabins, also bar soap.

I checked NW's site and the policy is clear for those traveling in the US and to/from Canada. Yes, full fare Y coach fare gets 2 bags free as do elite members. All others will pay for their bags. If you are not an elite member or are not paying full fare Y Coach you need to look at the right hand column to determine your baggage fees.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:31 PM   #161
BLTOH

Quote:
Originally Posted by jilljill View Post
DCL provides shampoo, conditioner and lotion in the cabins, also bar soap.

I checked NW's site and the policy is clear for those traveling in the US and to/from Canada. Yes, full fare Y coach fare gets 2 bags free as do elite members. All others will pay for their bags. If you are not an elite member or are not paying full fare Y Coach you need to look at the right hand column to determine your baggage fees.
yep i know they do but our experience with any shampoo and conditioner while traveling has been a bad one. both me and my daughter have long hair and have to use a specific kind of conditioner when traveling.

What is a Full fare Y coach? this is what i haven't been able to figure out. i am assuming its a full paid ticket. will have to email northwest when i get a chance i guess.

wish airlines and such were alot easier to book. just not the same as it used to be anymore.
2011 7/5/11 Alaska
2006 DCL Wonder
WDWnumerous times
2000 DCL Magic
1998 WDW Wedding

Old 10-14-2009, 08:39 PM   #162
poohj80
Got Hunny?

Quote:
Reasons being
We'll be traveling with a 5 year old which is leading us to fly into Seattle for several reasons.

We plan to spend a night in Seattle to break up all the travel and let her experience a few sights.

The Amtrak ride will be a treat as she loves trains and will break-up the traveling over a couple days.

FINALLY found Snow White after she was MIA dealing with a strike at the mine all week
poohj80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 11:44 PM   #163
MAGICFOR2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmoore View Post
Depending on where in Oregon you are, the same train that goes Vancouver to Seattle goes as far south as Eugene, It is the Cascade something. It might be worth a train all the way home?
That's a great option to consider! Thank you!
MAGICFOR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 10:59 AM   #164
BLTOH

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohj80 View Post
We'll be traveling with a 5 year old which is leading us to fly into Seattle for several reasons.

We plan to spend a night in Seattle to break up all the travel and let her experience a few sights.

The Amtrak ride will be a treat as she loves trains and will break-up the traveling over a couple days.
I was thinking the same thoughts for flying into Seattle when i was first checking into things. however,with the added expenses and the constantly watching of the watch for time frames i feel we would be rushed and i prefer not to do that. maybe on the way home we might but just starting the trip i know she won't want that rushed thing and we don't either really. would like to see some stuff in seattle though. i have till next july or so to make my final decission and it will be based probalby on the flight information and the dates we want to go. not being able to see what the true prices are for 2011 on hotels or flights don't help much. may the next few months fly by.
2011 7/5/11 Alaska
2006 DCL Wonder
WDWnumerous times
2000 DCL Magic
1998 WDW Wedding

Old 10-15-2009, 12:27 PM   #165
trimix
DIS Veteran

Quote:
What is a Full fare Y coach? this is what i haven't been able to figure out. i am assuming its a full paid ticket. will have to email northwest when i get a chance i guess.
As you may not be aware, with any airline you can pay a lot of different prices for the same seat. The Y fare is the full-price, most expensive, pay as much as you can price for a coach ticket.

I just took a look at the Northwest airlines website, and tried looking for tickets from Seattle to Orlando in coach. I found coach tickets in K, T, L, V, Q, H, M, B, and Y classes.

If you want, you can go to Northwest and do a search for your planned flights. For any given flight you'll see four columns; the top row of each column are date, airline and flight number, equipment, and fare class.

And, just for your comparison, the cheapest K class coach tickets I found were $622 after taxes; a Y class coach ticket on the same flight was $1162, and first class tickets start at $1362.

So the simple fact is that for you, and anybody else who doesn't fly enough for elite status, the cheap thing to do is get a discounted coach ticket and pay to check your luggage. Paying almost double the cost for a coach ticket in order to save a few dollars on checked luggage is not a good deal.

Disneyland more times than I can count.
WDW 8/2008
Disney Magic - Western Caribbean 8/2009
Disney Wonder - West Coast repo 4/2011
trimix is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: