Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2014, 08:38 AM   #1
mumto2
Mouseketeer

Pin Trading Cancelled Recently?

I am the wife/mom of avid pin traders. We leave in just over two weeks and the lanyards have already been prepared. I thought I saw something in a recent post about changes to self-serve and buffets procedures designed to reduce germ transmission, and that this also meant no pin trading.

Can a recent cruiser confirm or deny this? We are on the Dream.

Thanks!
Last trips: Fort Wilderness Cabins 2008, Mommy and Me weekend at ASMo, Grand Gathering at the Cabins, both in 2010, POP surprise in 2011, 2012 Harry Potter and Cars in the same trip, Disneyland for a day solo 2013

Next trips: DLR with the kids and Thanksgiving on the Dream 2014

Trip Report: Guess What Kids? You get to plan your first trip to Disneyland!
mumto2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 08:51 AM   #2
SrisonS
... and that's 'ess-ryzun-ess' (play on my name) ;)

I was on the Fantasy last week, and you were still able to get your own food at the buffets. The only place we couldn't do that was during brunch at Palo.

I don't think it would affect pin trading either way though. I think the big fear comes from putting the food in your mouth; not just the general touching of things (and I did see pins available for trade). Unless the fear is where the pins have been or something. But I could think of a ton or more worries to spread germs than pin trading.

On that note, it did appear that the busier bathrooms on the ship had someone who would open the doors for you.

Last edited by SrisonS; 11-07-2014 at 09:00 AM.
SrisonS is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-07-2014, 01:36 PM   #3
karriemouse
Official Disney Cruise Addict

Location: Manchester, UK or Windsor Hills, Orlando or on a plane between the two!

We were on the Wonder 26-31 October, and yes pin trading was cancelled due to the fear of Ebola.

We were given wipes to handle all serving implements with (made it very tricky for me as I already have a weak right hand due to MS!) right up to the last day, when this was withdrawn.

In the shops none of the CMs were wearing lanyards, and there was no vinylmation trading box so I asked, and was told these had been removed to reduce the risk of infection. There was no Officer Pin Trading on the last night which was very sad. However the CMs outside the dining rooms handing out the wipes DID wear lanyards, presumably as they had a ready supply of antibacterial wipes.

So yes there should be some trading, if not as much as usual, and hopefully the restrictions will be relaxed before your visit.

Me DH DD(20) DD(15)
karriemouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 04:42 PM   #4
BrookeMQ
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by karriemouse View Post
We were on the Wonder 26-31 October, and yes pin trading was cancelled due to the fear of Ebola.

We were given wipes to handle all serving implements with (made it very tricky for me as I already have a weak right hand due to MS!) right up to the last day, when this was withdrawn.

In the shops none of the CMs were wearing lanyards, and there was no vinylmation trading box so I asked, and was told these had been removed to reduce the risk of infection. There was no Officer Pin Trading on the last night which was very sad. However the CMs outside the dining rooms handing out the wipes DID wear lanyards, presumably as they had a ready supply of antibacterial wipes.

So yes there should be some trading, if not as much as usual, and hopefully the restrictions will be relaxed before your visit.
We will be on the wonder soon and I am making my packing list. could you fill your own cups at the drink station? Don't want to pack our large cups for no reason. Thanks!
BrookeMQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 04:59 PM   #5
PaDisneyCouple
DIS Veteran

We were on the 10/18 Fantasy, and noticed there was no officer pin trading night listed in the Navigators. About Wednesday, we asked in one of the stores if there would be pin trading, and were told it as because it was "cold and flu season". They then pointed out that nobody in the stores was wearing a lanyard to trade either, but that each of the 3 stores had a book of pins one could trade with.
10/10 BC Club Level 10-11/11 Dream 4-night & CR 3-night 10/12 Dream 4-night 10/13 Fantasy 7-night Eastern
10/14 Fantasy 7-night Eastern

PaDisneyCouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 05:39 PM   #6
cris0809
Might be why the rum is always gone

No pin trading (or vinyls) on the Dream this week still due to "viral illness concerns"many of our group were unhappy and wished they at least had a book available.
Old 11-07-2014, 06:29 PM   #7
erikharwell
Earning My Ears

I was on the 10/25 fantasy sailing and there was no pin trading. There was not even a book offered as some have said on other sailings. The "cold and flu season" excuse was given as well.
erikharwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 06:41 PM   #8
Maggie'sMom
DIS Veteran

Are they going to have CMs on each elevator pushing the buttons so no one has to touch those? Will they hand out wet wipes by the stairs so people can wipe their hands before using the handrails?

What an incredible overreaction!
Maggie'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 06:48 PM   #9
erikharwell
Earning My Ears

I really think it is an over reaction too. They could even sanitize the pins if they were that worried.
erikharwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 10:48 PM   #10
Jhnny407
Earning My Ears

We were on the 10/25 Fantasy - Mickey's Mainsail had a book for trading, but you had to ask for it.
Jhnny407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 11:04 PM   #11
Bear3412
DIS Veteran

We were on the 10/25 -11/1 Fantasy and you could fill cups yourself at the drink stations after using a wipe handed out by the CM standing right there.

Never seen so many wipes being handed out. Prior to Cabanas and MDR's as usual, but the drink stations, outside the busy bathrooms, WDT, BVT, Clubs, etc.

Wow. But I'm OK with it.

Are the condiments on CC always dispensed into little individual use cups?
Bear3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 11:07 PM   #12
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrookeMQ View Post
We will be on the wonder soon and I am making my packing list. could you fill your own cups at the drink station? Don't want to pack our large cups for no reason. Thanks!
You can't fill your own cups at the drink station directly (never could......well, were requested not to). What you do is use their cups, fill it up and pour it into your cup.

In Cabanas:

And from our Wonder cruise:

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 06:12 AM   #13
karriemouse

Location: Manchester, UK or Windsor Hills, Orlando or on a plane between the two!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrookeMQ View Post
They always ask that you use fresh cups to refill, but you can use a paper cup and pour it into yours. We usually do this, but this cruise I didn't bother taking our cups, as I thought the rules would be more strict.

Me DH DD(20) DD(15)
Old 11-08-2014, 06:13 AM   #14
karriemouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear3412 View Post
Are the condiments on CC always dispensed into little individual use cups?
Yes they are, that hasn't changed!

Me DH DD(20) DD(15)
Old 11-08-2014, 11:44 AM   #15
jjje
One time I saw a guy wear cut-off jean shorts to dinner.

Pin trading cancelled because of ebola? That's crazy.

Mom Dad and two perfectly imperfect kids Son (13) and Daughter (8)

1982-89 too many trips to Disneyland to count, 1991 Disneyland Paris, 1994 Disney World @ Beach Club, 1999 Honeymoon in Disney World @ Caribbean Beach Resort, 2001 Disney World @ All Star Music, 2004 Disney World during Hurricane Jeanne @ All Star Sports, 2005 Disney World off property, 2006 Disney World with a newborn @ All Star Movies, 2008 Disney World to celebrate surrogacy #1 @ Port Orleans French Quarter, 2010 Disneyland to celebrate surrogacy #2, 2012 Disney World @ Port Orleans Riverside to celebrate surrogacy #3, 2013 Bahamas on the Magic, 2013 Caribbean on the Wonder, 2014 Panama Canal on the Wonder
jjje is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: