Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2014, 04:16 PM   #1
RollysMum
Earning My Ears

Nap Time?

Parents of littles, help!

Dream check in at PC is 11:45. Toddler nap time starts around 12:30. He still nurses, so I would prefer a quiet, private space if he doesn't fall asleep on my back in the carrier. Suggestions on where to go until the room is available?

I called DCL and no one had any suggestions. Thank you!
RollysMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 04:40 PM   #2
ColoradoDisneyFreaks
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollysMum View Post

Dream check in at PC is 11:45. Toddler nap time starts around 12:30. He still nurses, so I would prefer a quiet, private space if he doesn't fall asleep on my back in the carrier. Suggestions on where to go until the room is available?

Go head up to the adult area. It's not open as a bar, only for people to come in and look around, so should be pretty quiet without a lot of traffic.
Register to remove

Old 11-17-2014, 04:42 PM   #3
KristiMc
DIS Veteran

There really are not too many places that will be private. At 12:30 everyone will be walking around exploring the ship. My one thought is the Buena Vista Theater. It will not be showing a movie at that time and they usually have the doors open. Good luck.
Old 11-17-2014, 04:46 PM   #4
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:

The only thing I can think of is to head for Pink, Skyline, or the District Lounge (maybe even Evolution). During the daytime it's family, but I don't think anything will be going on there on embarkation day. Or see if the doors to the Buena Vista or Walt Disney (upstairs) theaters are open and step in and find a spot in the corner.

Basically, most public spaces onboard aren't that quiet (especially on embarkation day).

Have you thought about arriving after 1:15 or so? That way you room would be ready when you board.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984

Last edited by PrincessShmoo; 11-17-2014 at 06:11 PM.
PrincessShmoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 10:10 AM   #5
RollysMum
Earning My Ears

Thank you! I will try those options!

My only concern about late check in is that we have to check out of our hotel at 11. Then I worry about getting stuck in the terminal so we have no nap options. Thoughts?
RollysMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 12:38 PM   #6
ScubaMama
Mouseketeer

I'm in the same boat but I don't want to sit somewhere random for a couple hours and I think that it would be difficult for him to fall asleep in an odd spot. I know my best bet is to wear him in a carrier on my front. He will fall asleep when he's tired especially if he nurses a little bit. The key on vacation where there's so much to see is to be up against a wall and/or keep covering his vision with the carrier's hood or a blanket so he becomes bored, settles down and falls asleep. Good luck!
ScubaMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 12:39 PM   #7
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Thank you! I will try those options!

My only concern about late check in is that we have to check out of our hotel at 11. Then I worry about getting stuck in the terminal so we have no nap options. Thoughts?
How old is your toddler and how often do you travel? Is he one that sleeps regardless of what's going on? As a toddler, my daughter would have been too keyed up to take a regular nap on embarkation day, regardless of being tired and the usual nap time. When traveling with young ones, sometimes you just have to go with the flow and adjust the usual routine. Maybe anticipate an earlier bedtime if nap will be disrupted or non-existent. Or maybe he's a kid that sleeps through anything/anywhere as long as you plop him in the stroller and walk.

If you think he would nap before you arrive at the terminal, find a local playground (there is a nice one a few miles down the road from the port) and let him get good and tired. Then go for a drive while he naps and get to the port later. Your Port Arrival Time is a window and a "not before" time, but anytime after 11:45am would be fine for you to arrive and check-in.

Enjoy your cruise!
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 04:13 PM   #8
xlxo
DIS Veteran

I was going to say the far corner of a restaurant (not buffet). Wonder's Parrot Cay was very quiet when I checked in at 1pm. Busiest part was near the doorway or the trough.
xlxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 04:49 PM   #9
katds10
Mouseketeer

Are you looking for a quiet spot just to nurse or for his whole nap? Your best bet is the theater onboard.

If your check in time is 11:45, there's a good chance you won't even be boarding until around 12:30, depending on the boarding# they give you. You can get there earlier too and check in earlier but I've always been told that boarding # is tied to your registered port arrival time and not when you actually check in.

My 14 month old is still nursing too and I nurse her in the ergo with the hood on with a cover over it because it cuts out visual distractions for her. She will nurse like that and go to sleep, even when we're walking around Disneyland. That's how she napped on the go on our last cruise too. On our last cruise, she nursed at the terminal in the ergo + cover and fell asleep that way while we waited to board and then I woke her up so we could sit down for lunch (it was like 45 minutes later by then) since we would miss lunch before things closed down for the safety drill if I let her have a full nap. Then she fell asleep again when we went to our room and napped until the drill.

If your toddler is older, I imagine the excitement of everything going on would make it impossible to nap until you get to your room.

Good luck!
katds10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: