Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2009, 11:13 PM   #106
Sleepingbooty
DIS Veteran

Great updates! I don't think I knew they had pony parts at WOD? We've done the potato head thing, though - the cashier actually encouraged us to stuff more into the box! That's one of the best values at DTD
Old 10-05-2009, 11:24 PM   #107
scoot241
Geaux Tigers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepingbooty View Post
Great updates! I don't think I knew they had pony parts at WOD? We've done the potato head thing, though - the cashier actually encouraged us to stuff more into the box! That's one of the best values at DTD
Thank you!

Just to clarify, the Ponies are at Once Upon a Toy.

Both of these are very good values, but there's really no repeatability with the Pony stuff because you can fit every piece in the box. The Potato Head stuff you could do at least 4 times probably.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-06-2009, 03:27 PM   #108
disneygirlinnj
DIS Veteran

Whew! finally caught up! I was so far behind and didnt even get to catch up on your flickr stream yet.

The more I see your photos, I'm getting sad i didn't take as many as I wanted! lol I'll make sure I do in January, lol.
Old 10-06-2009, 03:51 PM   #109
scoot241
Geaux Tigers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneygirlinnj View Post
Whew! finally caught up! I was so far behind and didnt even get to catch up on your flickr stream yet.

The more I see your photos, I'm getting sad i didn't take as many as I wanted! lol I'll make sure I do in January, lol.
I'm sure you will.

I have a couple of photos that are almost exactly the same as a couple of yours that I haven't posted. Your Figment and your floating Leota head are two that come to mind immediately.

I like the focal length your 50mm gives you on the dark rides with the crop sensor. I don't think I'll be running out and getting one anytime soon though; not sure when I'm going to be heading back to WDW and I probably wouldn't use it much otherwise.
Old 10-06-2009, 04:08 PM   #110
Todd_H
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoot241 View Post
My personal favorite:

^^Awesome!

Gotta love Main Street before official opening.

Please visit my flickr photostream
Old 10-07-2009, 10:31 AM   #111
scoot241
Geaux Tigers!

Part 19 - The Royal Banquet

Just inside the castle, we take some time to admire the mosaics. Hailey thinks they're awesome, and let's face it, they are. We finally park the stroller and make our way to check in at the CRT desk. The lady at the desk hands us a number and we go inside and wait in line for pictures with Cinderella. The number tells them how many photo packages we are getting (2; one package for every 3 people).

At this point, you would probably expect photos of Cinderella. Well, I didn't take any with my camera and I haven't uploaded any of the PhotoPass ones, so we might see some later. She looked like she came right out of the movie though; very beautiful.

After pictures, we climbed the staircase up to the banquet room.

We were still getting settled when the waiter arrived, so we were less than attentive to him for a minute. My sister finally got our attention to take drink orders, so the waiter deemed her the translator.

The wishing ceremony started just after this; Hailey and Ashley both got wands, and my wife was given a sword for the baby.

The princesses were being announced one by one over the speakers. First one out was Snow White. We were actually right by where they came out; however, they have a route they take through the room, so we were actually one of the last tables the princesses came to.

Next to come out:

9/9/2009 8:31 AM EDT Score! Sleeping Beauty at CRT!

It was at this point that it hit me that all the planning and all the work just paid off. I think something also got in my eye right then.

My sister also took a picture with Aurora.

At some point they brought out Hailey's birthday treat. It was a chocolate donut-like cake with white icing.

Belle and Jasmine also joined us for breakfast.

I wrote this entry later, but I'm going to move it up because it applies now.

9/9/2009 9:52 AM EDT I know people complain about CRT's price and food, but the experience we had this morning was definitely worth the two TS credits we used.

Let's face it, this is all about being in the castle and meeting the princesses. In an hour or so, we had breakfast and took pictures/got autographs from six princesses. The food is standard breakfast: eggs, bacon, pastries and french toast sticks for Hailey with milk and orange juice. The whole experience was worth the 2 TS per person to me.

At the end of our meal, my sister left a little early and headed to Uptown Jewelers to try for the 9/9/09 pin. The rest of us lingered a few minutes longer, then headed down the circular staircase and back out to the castle archway. At that point, we waited for my sister to come back as it was right around 9:00 and the Magic Kingdom had just officially opened...

Coming up: does my sister obtain the pin?
Old 10-07-2009, 10:57 AM   #112
disneygirlinnj
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I'm sure you will.

I have a couple of photos that are almost exactly the same as a couple of yours that I haven't posted. Your Figment and your floating Leota head are two that come to mind immediately.

I like the focal length your 50mm gives you on the dark rides with the crop sensor. I don't think I'll be running out and getting one anytime soon though; not sure when I'm going to be heading back to WDW and I probably wouldn't use it much otherwise.
The 50mm def has some advantages but the 30mm i think totally wins the competition! I'm still eying getting one before January.

Love that Hailey finally got to meet Sleeping Beauty! Was she shy around her or completely jumping out of her skin? haha! I'd think after all that anticipation I would be shy... it's like meeting my favorite celebrity!
Old 10-07-2009, 11:12 AM   #113
scoot241
Geaux Tigers!

Quote:
The 50mm def has some advantages but the 30mm i think totally wins the competition! I'm still eying getting one before January.

Love that Hailey finally got to meet Sleeping Beauty! Was she shy around her or completely jumping out of her skin? haha! I'd think after all that anticipation I would be shy... it's like meeting my favorite celebrity!
Hailey? Shy?

Unless something's scary, she's not shy at all and talks to everyone.

The only thing about the 30mm is that some copies have focus issues, but I've heard less and less reports of them recently. Make sure you get one that focuses correctly. It will hunt in low light too; the focal point needs to be on a contrasting spot in order to get it to lock in. It's still the lens that's on my camera most of the time, though.
Old 10-07-2009, 02:01 PM   #114
scoot241
Geaux Tigers!

Another shameless plug (probably the last one)...

Earlier I told everyone about the "Kids of the World" Contest on the Photography Board. Well, it's moved into the final round and my photo was selected!

So, feel free to head over here:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2302020

and look at the final eight entries. My photo is letter C (but you probably would have known from looking at them).
Old 10-07-2009, 03:33 PM   #115
disneygirlinnj
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Hailey? Shy?

Unless something's scary, she's not shy at all and talks to everyone.

The only thing about the 30mm is that some copies have focus issues, but I've heard less and less reports of them recently. Make sure you get one that focuses correctly. It will hunt in low light too; the focal point needs to be on a contrasting spot in order to get it to lock in. It's still the lens that's on my camera most of the time, though.
The 50mm does the same low light hunting too. I wanted to chuck the stupid thing against a wall during Peter Pan, HM, some Snow White scenes, etc. I've heard about the focus issues with the 30mm... I'll be sure to thoroughly test it out when I get it though!
Old 10-07-2009, 03:47 PM   #116
scoot241
Geaux Tigers!

Quote:
The 50mm does the same low light hunting too. I wanted to chuck the stupid thing against a wall during Peter Pan, HM, some Snow White scenes, etc. I've heard about the focus issues with the 30mm... I'll be sure to thoroughly test it out when I get it though!
I didn't shoot Peter Pan or Snow White because I had my 18-55mm when we rode those (coming up soon in the TR). No way was I going to get anything on those rides with that lens. I really wasn't thinking when I left that morning; should have taken both lenses. I did like having the 18-55 for Main Street and a few other things (the Dumbo shot on Flickr right now is at 18mm), but later on I should have swapped to the 30mm for dark rides.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:56 AM   #117
scoot241
Geaux Tigers!

Part 20 - Conquering Fantasyland

First, a couple of bonus photos (aka I forgot to upload them earlier):

Right out of Cinderella's Royal Table, my sister catches up with us again. She is carrying a bag with two 9/9/09 pins inside!

At this point, we head out of the castle into Fantasyland. We don't get far, however, because to the left is the Fairy Godmother.

Is it just me, or does the Fairy Godmother not seem all that happy in this picture?

Hailey has been wanting to ride the carousel for quite a while on this trip, so the first ride of the day is Cinderella's Golden Carousel. Wait time: non-existant

Ashley rode Cinderella's horse. I didn't really know where it was, so I was a bit surprised that it was on the 2nd row instead of the outside. Hailey said she rode Prince Charming's horse because we told her my sister was riding Cinderella's.

After the carousel, we went to the true Disney World rite of passage ride:

The wait was only 5 or 10 minutes.

As we were boarding, my mom and I were in the elephant in front of Hailey and my sister. A CM saw us looking back at her and told us that we couldn't look back during the ride. Really? No looking backward?

Needless to say, I didn't exactly listen...

But come on, how could I not get a picture of that?

Next up:

Here's where the ride pictures start to slack because I didn't bring my dark ride lens. I wasn't exactly thinking when we left the hotel because it was so early.

Hailey generally liked it, although I think she was saying it was scary just because of the name of the ride.

9/9/2009 9:50 AM Knocked out Carousel, Dumbo and Snow White in around 45 minutes. Now waiting for Philharmagic.

That's right, it's time for our favorite 3D movie:

Hailey's definitely ready to see it :

Again, we only waited 5-10 minutes (are you noticing a pattern here?).

Of course, she absolutely loved it. I did notice that the "baked goods" smell has seemed to permeate the theater though, even when it's not supposed to smell like that. Maybe they should Febreeze the place every once in a while.

Right afterward, we headed next door:

We all know how the line for Peter Pan can get. However, we still only waited 10 minutes at most.

This was another ride Hailey liked a lot because she was flying through everything.

At this point, the west side of Fantasyland was pretty much done thanks to the short lines. We stopped at Ariel's Grotto to complete the princess collection. I think we waited about 20 minutes, including a break, to see Ariel.

I think Hailey really liked seeing Ariel as a mermaid; probably better than if she had seen Ariel in human form.

This is where Hailey really belongs:

Continuing east in Fantasyland, it's time to ride the ride for the character my mother likes the least:

I don't know why my mom doesn't like Pooh, but she doesn't. Hailey does, of course. Again, 5 minute wait at most. Hailey really liked when the honey pot started bouncing.

We were about to finish out Fantasyland with the Mad Tea Party, but it was temporarily closed! Time for a detour:

Again, 10 minutes at most to get in a car. The wait times today were amazing. My mom and wife didn't ride this one; mom took pictures instead and my wife didn't ride for obvious reasons.

Hailey got to "steer" (of course steering doesn't matter on the speedway, you'll bounce off that metal divider anyway). I pushed the gas pedal for her.

We rode all the way around the speedway, and I got my first look at the Tomorrowland Skyway demolition. When we got near the end of the Speedway, we stopped and sat there for a few minutes. A CM came up and started waving people out of the cars to walk to the exit. At first I thought a car stopped or something. I wish it had been that. An older lady must have tripped on the way out of her car and fell and hit her head on the concrete. When we passed she was laying where you get into the car with a pool of blood. She was conscious, but obviously dazed. I really hope she wasn't hurt too badly. It had just happened, and I don't think the medical staff had quite gotten there yet. We left the speedway a bit quicker than we might have otherwise to make sure we weren't in the way.

Back to the Mad Tea Party. Hailey loved it, of course. I don't think there's been a ride she didn't like. I'm not the biggest fan of spinning rides, but I sucked it up. Again, wait time: 5 minutes.

9/9/2009 11:43 AM EDT We knocked out everything we still needed to do in fantasyland and the speedway in less than 3 hours.

It was at this point where we started asking Hailey if she was ready to get out of her dress and put on some regular clothes. Let's face it, it was hot and we were sure she wasn't comfortable. She kept saying she was fine though. It was at this point we saw Tigger doing a meet and greet. We hopped in line and tried our best to stay in the shade of the umbrellas. It wasn't long before Tigger had to take a break, but we stayed in line because he would be back in a minute. Sure enough, we see Tigger on his way back and he brought Pooh with him!

As we're getting up to the front of the line, my mom says "they must be hot in those costumes." To try to cover, I asked her "what costumes?" Sometimes my mom can't keep her mouth shut. I don't think any little kids heard her, but come on!

After meeting Tigger and Pooh, Hailey ran over to Pooh's Playful Spot. We had a tough time getting her out and we knew she was starting to reach her limit, though you wouldn't be able to tell from this picture:

We finally corralled her and headed to Cosmic Ray's Starlight Café, one of my favorite places. However, I wasn't hungry at all yet. My wife went to change Hailey's clothes and the rest of us sat in there and I went and ordered lunch for Hailey and a drink for my wife and myself. We were sitting near Sonny Eclipse.

9/9/2009 12:15 PM EDT Listening to Bright Little Star in Cosmic Ray's.

And just for continuity's sake:

9/9/2009 12:42 PM EDT Oh by the way we got the 9/9/09 pin. Sister ran to Uptown Jewelers when we were leaving CRT. Has Chip & Dale on the pin.

Coming up: how much longer do we stay in MK?
Old 10-08-2009, 12:44 PM   #118
UncleOrville
Mouseketeer

Looks like you guys had a great morning! And it definitely seems like the breakfast at CRT was worth it. We haven't done it since I was probably 3 or 4 (so I'm told - I don't remember), so we might have to try it out sometime soon!
Old 10-08-2009, 01:19 PM   #119
scoot241
Geaux Tigers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleOrville View Post
Looks like you guys had a great morning! And it definitely seems like the breakfast at CRT was worth it. We haven't done it since I was probably 3 or 4 (so I'm told - I don't remember), so we might have to try it out sometime soon!
We really did have an awesome morning all-around. Y'all might want to try CRT sometime as long as you're interested in meeting all the princesses.
Old 10-09-2009, 02:28 PM   #120
MyMuse
From here...to there!

Location: North NJ (I don't know any Sopranos! or Real Housewives!)

Smile

I finally got here! I did read your TR from links on Twitter, but I reread the entire thread, so I can get the complete picture in my head.

Wow! what a fun time so far! So much to comment on, be prepared.

And let me repeat what others have been saying: Hailey is GORGEOUS and your pictures are AMAZING.

I thought I loved my camera (cool digital point & shoot), but those photos are WOW! I haven't gone to the SLR world yet. So crisp & clear.

The Spectro pics are my favorite (other than Hailey of course ). Spectro is on the top of my list of things to do on my trip. I'll have to keep in mind to stay near Casey's.

I totally get meeting Sleeping Beauty as that was the main topic for my niece's bday trip in May. I'm glad it happened, though she wasn't at Akershaus.

The bronze statues in front of the Castle are the coolest. I thought I took more pics of them on my last trip, but could only find one. I must have been capitvated by Walt & Mickey statue and the Castle. It's one of my missions for December to take pics of them.

Oooh, the murals are awesome. I like your pics way better than mine, but I'm going to try to take better pics of them next time. I do have a CRT for December and I do feel a little odd about going without a child in tow, but I'm going to do it anyway. I always wanted to eat at the Castle.

To round up MK...I love Philarmagic!! I thought it was great. I can't wait to do it again....multiple times.

I totally agree with you about Nemo. The show is just brillant; way better than FOTLK! I don't even think I need to see FOTLK again. I'm going to see Nemo though. I also sat to the left side of the catwalk and it was a perfect place to sit. I love everything about the show; everything meshes together so well - actors, costumes, puppets, the singing.....wonderful!

For DTD, I'm definitely going to get a Potatoe Head parts. I have never done since I always think "how am I going to get this home?" I have a car and therefore I will stop at a post office and mail myself a big 'o box. Problem solved. I did get the small box from the NYC store when I was there a few months back. But, somehow, it doesn't compare.

Ok, I think I exhausted all my topics.

I look forward to more!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: