Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2009, 09:29 PM   #91
scoot241
Geaux Tigers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by annnewjerz View Post
I love the 999 pin. I was looking at them on e-bay, but I think I should work on trading some that I have first before I go buying more. Chip and Dale are my faves!

So Scott, what side of the boat were you on for IASW? The hippo and Taj Mahal were two IASW shots I really wanted to make sure I got and I see you got them both. So right side, or left side?
I believe I was sitting in the front left of the boat with Hailey sitting next to me, so I had a sight line all around. IIRC, the Taj Majal is on the left and the hippo was on the right.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:58 PM   #92
dax248
Mouseketeer

Wow! Again, your pictures are just amazing. I am posting my TR now, and I am almost ashamed of the pictures compared to yours.
Register to remove

Old 10-01-2009, 10:20 PM   #93
scoot241
Geaux Tigers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dax248 View Post
Wow! Again, your pictures are just amazing. I am posting my TR now, and I am almost ashamed of the pictures compared to yours.
I just looked at your pictures and they're great. They really capture the moment.
Old 10-01-2009, 11:22 PM   #94
VBsHustla
DIS Veteran

Great small world shots! The one of the Mexico scene is awesome. I agree that the exterior of the DL version is highly superior. Especially with the colored lights during Christmas!
Next time I see you, I'm giving you a high five. 'Cause hugs are overrated, just FYI.

Old 10-02-2009, 08:51 PM   #95
scoot241
Geaux Tigers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBsHustla View Post
Great small world shots! The one of the Mexico scene is awesome. I agree that the exterior of the DL version is highly superior. Especially with the colored lights during Christmas!
Thank you!

WDW's exterior doesn't even compare, even with the new "mini-DL" facade. The real one is enormous; they would have to tear down and rebuild IASW in another location to fit it. Oh well, it's just one more reason to go back to DL (maybe in a few years).
Old 10-02-2009, 09:20 PM   #96
scoot241
Geaux Tigers!

Part 15 - Monkeying Around (Gorillaing just doesn't sound right)

9/8/2009 7:59 AM Good morning! Heading out to Animal Kingdom after getting dressed.

Hailey was once again the first one out of bed and knocking on the connecting door. My parents and sister were a bit more prompt this morning, and we were out at a good time.

Upon entering, we tried to get a bunch of FastPasses from the consolidated FastPass area in front of It's Tough to be a Bug. However, the consolidated FastPass machines had closed only a few days earlier. Bummer.

Instead, we headed to Africa and everyone except my wife rode Kilimanjaro Safaris. Since she's quite the preggers, she walked around the Pangani Trail. This was the one ride she was bummed about not riding, but the truck was rather bumpy.

Photography note: Seriously people, bring a long lens; 18-55mm wasn't nearly enough for me. A lot of my shots were very far away and I couldn't really use them because I would have to crop too much out.

We passed these African cattle very close:

Not too far along later, we pass the:

Hailey exclaims "Those flamingos are stinky!!" I knew exactly what she meant, and after being asked she said "The flamingos at the zoo are stinky!" Last time we went to the zoo, I spent some time taking pictures of the flamingos, and yes, they were quite odorous. If these flamingos had an odor, we were far enough away not to smell it.

After returning from our safari, my wife met us at the exit, and we noticed a crowd gathering off to the side. We went over there and saw this:

Apparently the gorilla thought his breakfast made a better hat than a meal! He did decide to eat eventually.

9/8/2009 10:29 AM EDT Rode Kilimanjaro. The poachers story is still lame, but the animals are fun. Eating the cinnamon roll I didn't get yesterday.

We stopped at Kusafiri Coffee Shop and Bakery for breakfast. Yes, I got a cinnamon roll. Little did I know I would probably turn my nose up at this cinnamon roll if I came across it again after eating at Main Street Bakery (yes, I've had a Main Street Bakery cinnamon roll before, but I didn't remember there being as big a difference between MSB and the other baked goods locations).

Hailey had a bagel with cream cheese (one of her favorite items for breakfast actually), and everyone else had other assorted baked goods. Afterward, we started heading in the direction of Expedition Everest.

Coming up: who will survive the evil mountain?
Old 10-03-2009, 04:06 PM   #97
scoot241
Geaux Tigers!

Sidebar: Saw Toy Story & Toy Story 2 in 3D

We saw the Toy Story double feature in 3D this morning, and it was quite good. 3D previews for A Christmas Carol and Toy Story 3 (both look good).

It's not "in your face" 3D like the 3D shows at WDW can be. It looks much more like you're looking through a window or something. I think Hailey was expecting things floating in front of her face or something; she was getting a little restless during Toy Story 2.

Being on the big screen lets you see all the little details, too. One example being that when Woody is having the staff meeting at the beginning of Toy Story, there's a book called "Tin Man" by Lasetter.

So, if you have a chance to (it's a long time to sit in a movie theater), go see the Toy Story double feature.
Old 10-03-2009, 06:11 PM   #98
Kurby
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you. ~Walt Disney

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

we saw it last night and loved it. i agree its a long time and i'm not sure what i was expecting (maybe a little in your face 3d effects but that wasn't the vibe of original film)

i cant wait to see TS3 and a christmas story
Old 10-03-2009, 08:43 PM   #99
scoot241
Geaux Tigers!

Part 16 - The Mountain Looms

Heading towards Expedition Everest, we figure out who's going to ride. Obviously my wife and Hailey won't, and my mother doesn't want to either. On our way over there we start hearing people say that Everest is down. Sure enough, when we get there, Everest is indeed 101. Instead, we get three FastPasses and move on.

9/8/2009 11:05 AM EDT Waiting for Finding Nemo the Musical. Everest is temporarily 101 so we grabbed fastpasses and will come back later.

We were standing outside the Nemo theater for a little while, and it was hot. However, we were almost the first people in line. They let us in, and we got awesome seats to the left of the catwalk.

9/8/2009 11:30 AM EDT Waiting... http://twitpic.com/gz26e

I sat right next to the catwalk and took some great photos during the show.

I'm going to let my tweet after the show speak for itself.

9/8/2009 12:25 PM EDT Finding Nemo the Musical: incredible!

Seriously, this is the best show in the parks; in my opinion better than even Festival of the Lion King. The only show that comes close as far as theme park entertainment is Aladdin in California Adventure.

Afterward, we decided to see if Everest was running again.

Coming up: do we get on Everest this time?
Old 10-04-2009, 06:18 PM   #100
scoot241
Geaux Tigers!

Part 17 - Finishing Up in Animal Kingdom

We went back over to Expedition Everest and it was running again! However, we were about 10 minutes early for our FastPass time. DW, DM, and Hailey went to the Maharajah Jungle Trek and DF, DS and I looked in the Everest gift shop for a few minutes. Finally, our time came around and we went in. The FastPass taker saw my dad's LSU hat and asked if we were all LSU fans. We responded that we were, and he told me to hold on to the FastPasses to come back again later!

9/8/2009 12:45 PM EDT About to board Everest http://twitpic.com/gzami

Everest was a whole lot of fun. During the backwards motion part, I knew I didn't but it sure felt like I went upside down. To me, it seemed like a bigger, better version of the Matterhorn (not that the Matterhorn is bad at all).

I must have had trouble posting this tweet because it was much later than it should have been.
9/8/2009 2:26 PM Time to go through everest with fastpass: 9 minutes. Great ride; yeti seems to be in B mode FYI.

After the 9 minutes it took to go from the FastPass entrance to exiting the ride vehicles, we called the rest of the group who were in the Jungle Trek. They stopped where they were to wait for us, and also told us that a friend of my wife's and mine from college, Tommy, was working in the bat house. We saw him briefly, then caught up to the rest of the group. The tigers were all sleeping, and overall it just wasn't the best time of the day to go through the trek.

After the jungle trek, we took the trek to Camp Minnie-Mickey to catch the Festival of the Lion King. My mother thinks this is the greatest show on property, and I agree that it's good, but come on, Nemo's better.

Again, I would have liked a longer lens. We were in the back of the elephant section, and it was a bit difficult to get good shots.

Hailey really liked the show, and so did everyone else. By this time all our stomachs were growling though, so we headed to Flame Tree BBQ.

9/8/2009 2:27 PM EDT Late lunch at flame tree BBQ. Looks yummy.

Wife and I got ribs, Hailey got a hot dog, and my mother got a salad. My dad and sister decided they were going to Pizzafari instead. Ribs were slightly dry but still pretty good. Hailey wasn't as thrilled with her hot dog, but my sister gave her a piece of pizza. We had chocolate cake for dessert, which was okay.

9/8/2009 2:53 PM EDT Same birds that were at EPCOT are here begging for food along with some ducks.

After Flame Tree, we realized we had done everything we set out to do today, so we took some PhotoPass pictures near the Tree of Life and headed back to the hotel.

We pretty much knew we were going to go to Downtown Disney around dinner time. Now our favorite there is Earl of Sandwich, but I was wondering if there were anything else we might want to eat instead, so I decided to get interactive with the Tweeple (Twitter people).

9/8/2009 3:13 PM Hey followers: do you have CS suggestions for DD? We're fans of Earl of Sandwich and will probably go there unless you have a better idea.

Back at Pop, Hailey and my wife took a nap, and the rest of us watched TV or wandered around. I did a bit of random tweeting and walked over to the main building for a mug refill.

9/8/2009 4:37 PM EDT Forgot to mention... Hailey has it in her mind that Aurora flew in from CA to see her. The pressure will be on to see her tomorrow.

This all started from telling Hailey that Sleeping Beauty Castle is in Disneyland in CA. Since Sleeping Beauty Castle is in DL, then Sleeping Beauty must be there too, right?

9/8/2009 4:44 PM EDT Raining at Pop. First real rain we have had all week. Had a sprinkle in MK.

On my way to the main hall, it started raining. It got worse after I got there, so I hung out there for a little while and wandered around the gift shop.

After resting up, we got back on the bus and headed to Downtown Disney; once we got there, the rain came back.

9/8/2009 6:21 PM EDT Waiting out the rain and getting princess my little pony stuff at once upon a toy.

One of Hailey's favorite things are her My Little Pony toys. When we found out they had Princess My Little Pony stuff, of course we had to get it. We also found out that as long as the lid of the box closes, they really don't care what kind of condition the box is in otherwise. We stuffed every outfit, every accessory, and two ponies into the box; it was bulging and a bit torn on one side, but the top closed! My sister also got Hailey a set of Toy Story figurines.

After the rain let up, we headed over to the World of Disney. We spent a long time in here, but didn't buy a whole lot. My sister bought one thing that she sent back to the hotel, and I bought the navy photo album with the pewter-colored medallion in it and sent it back to the hotel also.

Hailey wanted pictures with the Princess statues outside of the WoD.

Walk like an Egyptian?

Finally, it was time for dinner.

9/8/2009 7:43 PM EDT By popular tweeting, we are eating at wolfgang puck express for dinner.

The tweets say about all I have to say about WPE. I thought it was decent, but I would have rathered Earl of Sandwich.

9/8/2009 8:22 PM EDT WPE: pretty good, had a rotieressie beef focaccia. Wife had Cali. turkey hero,

9/8/2009 8:24 PM EDT Everyone else had spaghetti. Except for the kids portion, it didn't have enough sauce. Requested & received more. Creme brûlée was decent.

I don't have many good pictures of Downtown Disney because my camera lens kept fogging up and I didn't have any lens tissues to wipe it with.

After dinner, we walked through the Christmas Shop and the Art of Disney. My wife and I also decided to go back to Once Upon a Toy and get some Potato Head parts. Hailey already has a Potato Head, and we were getting a big kick out of the various parts they had. We got ears, the hands that let you hold, Cinderella parts, Tinker Bell parts, Minnie Mouse parts, and some other random stuff (including a Mickey Bar). There was absolutely no room left in this box and it looked destroyed, but once again the top closed!

9/8/2009 9:28 PM EDT Heading back to Pop. Picked up some Potato Head parts and stared at the art inside Art of Disney. CRT in the morning!

The Art of Disney is one of my favorite stores, but I can't afford most of the stuff in it I would want. We saw the Precious Moments piece that was premiering Friday and my wife wasn't interested, so we scratched those plans. Instead, we saw the Dumbo and the Tea Cups pieces and she was going to think about which one she wanted.

Coming up: Cinderella's Royal Table, the search for Aurora, and will we get the 9/9/9 pin?
Old 10-04-2009, 06:45 PM   #101
annnewjerz
If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense.

Hey Scott! I was a little behind, but I'm all caught up now. Great AK updates---love the pictures from Nemo. I've never seen any show in WDW (unless you count the Indy Jones show in MGM). Everyone swears that Nemo and FotLK are two of the best, but I just can't seem to wrap my head around taking time from our busy schedule to sit down and see it! Maybe in December I'll try to make time for Nemo, but it's doubtful.

I'm glad to hear you guys like EOS better than WPE. I was so torn between the two for our DTD day during our October trip and finally settled on EOS. We have never been to EOS, there aren't any around us in NJ and I saw the pictures of the Thanksgiving sandwich and the jerk chicken sandwich and both looked soooooo good. What do ya recommend?

ALSO---do you remember how much the My Little Pony box was to fill? I have a neighbor with a 3 year old girl who loves My Little Pony---we got her one for her birthday and I know she'd be thrilled to get a whole box.

Looking forward to hearing more!
Old 10-04-2009, 07:07 PM   #102
scoot241
Geaux Tigers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by annnewjerz View Post
Hey Scott! I was a little behind, but I'm all caught up now. Great AK updates---love the pictures from Nemo. I've never seen any show in WDW (unless you count the Indy Jones show in MGM). Everyone swears that Nemo and FotLK are two of the best, but I just can't seem to wrap my head around taking time from our busy schedule to sit down and see it! Maybe in December I'll try to make time for Nemo, but it's doubtful.

I'm glad to hear you guys like EOS better than WPE. I was so torn between the two for our DTD day during our October trip and finally settled on EOS. We have never been to EOS, there aren't any around us in NJ and I saw the pictures of the Thanksgiving sandwich and the jerk chicken sandwich and both looked soooooo good. What do ya recommend?

ALSO---do you remember how much the My Little Pony box was to fill? I have a neighbor with a 3 year old girl who loves My Little Pony---we got her one for her birthday and I know she'd be thrilled to get a whole box.

Looking forward to hearing more!
Both the My Little Pony and the Potato Head box were about $20. You could get a Potato Head as part of your box, but it would have filled most of it. Of course, you can put parts inside it.

Give Nemo a shot when you're in AK. It's incredible.

I usually get either the Meatballs (used to be called Cannonballs! but it was changed this trip; not sure what it's called at the one nearby) and the All-American (the Thanksgiving sandwich). Never had the jerk chicken but it's probably pretty good.

Nemo was also one of my favorite photography experiences of the trip. Another reason to go see it.
Old 10-05-2009, 06:11 AM   #103
Todd_H
DIS Veteran

Great update, Scott! I too love the AK pictures.

Glad we didn't go to DTD and see the My Little Pony princess stuff. DD would have lost her mind.

Please visit my flickr photostream
Old 10-05-2009, 07:19 PM   #104
scoot241
Geaux Tigers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd_H View Post
Great update, Scott! I too love the AK pictures.

Glad we didn't go to DTD and see the My Little Pony princess stuff. DD would have lost her mind.
Hahaha... Hailey didn't actually get (or even see) the pony stuff until she got home. We figured it was easier that way.
Old 10-05-2009, 07:42 PM   #105
scoot241
Geaux Tigers!

Part 18: The Search Begins

9/9/2009 6:31 AM EDT Up bright and early. Getting ready to leave extra early for CRT before the park opens!

At 6:30 this morning, Stitch and Mickey called and woke us up. Hailey was excited to hear them on the phone; of course, she knew where we were going today. We had breakfast reservations at Cinderella's Royal Table!

She started knocking on the connecting door; everyone else got up and started getting dressed. I wanted to get out extra early so we had time to be on Main Street without many other people.

Now as I alluded to before, it was going to be Sleeping Beauty or bust today. Hopefully she would be at CRT so we wouldn't spend more time looking for her.

We were dressed and out the door by about 7:00 AM. I believe we arrived at the Magic Kingdom around 7:20-7:30 and had wonderful, almost completely unobstructed views.

PhotoPass photographers were out, so as we slowly made our way up Main Street, we stopped and tried to get Hailey to do the Tinkerbell pose. We got a decent one, but she was a little uncooperative. Strolling up Main Street further, another PhotoPass photographer took some more general pictures of her.

Once in the hub, I took pictures of all the bronze statues.

My personal favorite:

Oh, I forgot to mention one little thing; Hailey was decked out in her Sleeping Beauty gown (more pictures to come, I forgot to upload one).

After really soaking in Main Street and the hub, we made our way up to the castle from the front since there's no show going on before the park opens. I would really like that show to disappear actually. The castle was meant to be walked through.

Something that's supposed to be in this picture is not there...

Coming up: we enter the castle, the search for Aurora continues, and will the 9/9/2009 pin be ours? (you're correct, this trip report entry answered exactly zero questions)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: