Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2009, 03:12 PM   #76
UncleOrville
Mouseketeer

I did feel inclined to vote for your photo, so you've got a vote from me! That really is a fantastic photo, as are all of the shots you've shared here. Loving the TR - keep up the great work!
Old 09-28-2009, 06:56 PM   #77
scoot241
Geaux Tigers!

Part 11: Mexican Lunch

We made the trek from The Land back to Mexico (also known as South Texas). Cantina de San Angel was the restaurant of choice since we were using CS credits. I had the Cantina Burrito, which was fairly tasty. My wife enjoyed the Plato Combonacion. Hailey had the Plato del Nino and ate it up (she likes quesadillas). My parents and sister either had the Cantina Burrito or the Plato Combonacion (can't remember who had what right now). Someone tell Cantina de San Angel they need more creative names for their food.

While we were eating, a flock of birds was hanging out and trying to get any crumb of food dropped:

9/7/2009 2:11 PM EDT Name that bird: http://twitpic.com/gv8s6

Here's the Cantina de San Angel mini-review, with my thoughts on their desserts:

9/7/2009 2:13 PM EDT Had the burrito at Cantina de San Angel. Pretty good; churro would be better if it was hot. The other dessert is ok.

The other dessert was Bunuelos. They came pre-packaged like you would buy in a store. Hollow with some sugar on top, they weren't much to remember.

After lunch, we went inside the Mexico pavillion.

9/7/2009 2:33 PM About to take the Gran Fiesta Tour.

Hailey certainly enjoyed the Gran Fiesta Tour, and I thought it was pretty good too. It had been a long time since I had ridden, and I thought the updates worked well.

Coming up: The Senses... I mean Imagination Pavillion
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-28-2009, 07:03 PM   #78
Kurby
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you. ~Walt Disney

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

wow just found this thread - wish i had known about the live tweets

time to read TR
Old 09-29-2009, 10:00 AM   #79
scoot241
Geaux Tigers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurby View Post
wow just found this thread - wish i had known about the live tweets

time to read TR
Thanks for joining. I posted about the live tweets in a couple of places; we need a place where all the Twitter people can see who's live tweeting.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:00 PM   #80
scoot241
Geaux Tigers!

Part 12: One Little Spark

After telling Donald and the two parrots (I don't know their names, and I don't feel like looking it up, so we'll call them Combinacion and Cantina Burrito, in honor of the very creative names for the food at Cantina de San Angel), we headed for the Imagination Pavilion.

I've always liked the reverse waterfall. Maybe I just have a strange liking for things to go in reverse, but that doesn't make sense because one of the few things that can give me motion sickness is riding backward.

A little setup for this next picture: we have watched The Muppets in Walt Disney World about 1,000 times. For those of you who haven't seen it, there's a scene by the jumping fountains where Bean Bunny and Scooter are conversing and Bean hits one of the streams of water with his lollipop. So naturally once Hailey saw the jumping fountains she was very excited and started running around saying "Bean hits the water with a lollipop!"

Thankfully, she didn't take a liking to the scene where Gonzo enjoys the "used paper cup exhibit" (sticks his head in a trash can).

After enjoying the jumping fountains, we rode Journey Into Imagination.

I already had my JIY rant, so I'm not going to repeat myself here. If for some strange reason you want to read it again, click here: http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...5&postcount=58

We had 5:30 PM dinner reservations at Chef Mickey's, so after we got off of Imagination, we started heading for the monorail. I checked Twitter and saw a message from @DisneyParks which I immediately re-tweeted because I wanted that pin.

9/7/2009 4:07 PM EDT RT @DisneyParks Unique limited edition 9/9/9 pin available this week at WDW http://eventservices.disney.go.com/p...g/pin?id=46265 - let me know if you see this please!

Now I'm not a pin collector/trader, but that's a pin I had to have. I don't even know what it looks like, because that link doesn't work properly on my iPhone. The search begins...

Coming up: the search for the 9/9/9 pin and a diversion on the way to the monorail

Last edited by scoot241; 09-29-2009 at 09:05 PM.
Old 09-30-2009, 12:46 AM   #81
Sleepingbooty
DIS Veteran

Oh, a cliffhanger! Does he find the pin or not? What does it look like? I hope you took a pic of it!

Great updates and pictures, can't wait for more
Old 09-30-2009, 09:13 AM   #82
scoot241
Geaux Tigers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepingbooty View Post
Oh, a cliffhanger! Does he find the pin or not? What does it look like? I hope you took a pic of it!

Great updates and pictures, can't wait for more
Should I tell you that you can see the pin if you click the link in the Twitter post?

I couldn't at the time on my iPhone though. I think it's because the page uses Flash. So at this point, I have no clue what the pin looks like, and all I know is that it will be released "this week".
Old 09-30-2009, 08:35 PM   #83
scoot241
Geaux Tigers!

Part 13 - Dinner with Mickey and the Gang

On our way out of Imagination, we had to go through ImageWorks. Hailey had fun doing the little games and activities. The lady at the Kodak demo area was looking for a volunteer. Naturally, Hailey walked up there without her even saying it was alright. The lady took her picture, connected the camera to the printer and printed a copy for her. She enjoyed being up there, and was very interested in all the props.

We finally got out of ImageWorks and started heading for the monorail. On the way back, we saw Chip and Dale signing autographs. Everyone except my mom stopped to wait in line, while my mom went to the pin trading area to see if she could find the 9/9/9 pin. After waiting in line for a few minutes, Hailey got to meet Chip and Dale...

Hailey wasn't actually wearing her hat at the moment, so the CM accompanying Chip and Dale borrowed it and put it on Dale's head while Chip was signing her book.

It didn't take long before Hailey noticed her hat was on Dale's head.

She snatched it back and put it on her head.

9/7/2009 4:12 PM EDT Character sigs so far: Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, Donald, Pluto, Chip & Dale

Grammy returned without much luck at the pin area. The CM there told her the new pins come out on Thursdays, which doesn't make much sense in this case because 9/9/2009 is a Wednesday. We take a side trip to Mouse Gear where a very helpful CM tries to find the pin for us in the computer. I showed her the Twitter post on my phone and she and another CM tried to look it up any way they could think of in the computer, but it was unavailable. They knew of a CM-exclusive pin for 9/9/9 but it was Haunted Mansion themed. We also found out at some point that Haunted Mansion special pins were being released on Wednesday because of the 999 ghosts in the Mansion.

After thanking the CMs at Mouse Gear, we finally headed for the monorail station.

9/7/2009 4:53 PM EDT Heading to Chef Mickey's for dinner.

We took the monorail to the TTC, then transferred to the resort line which circled around the Seven Seas Lagoon until it stopped at the Contemporary. We had 5:30 ADRs at:

After being seated fairly quickly, Pluto was in our area of the restaurant. However, he passed us by on his way to visit other tables. A little while later, the first one to visit was:

Thank you all who have voted for this picture in the current Photography Board contest!

Hailey really enjoyed Goofy's visit, as you can see. She was laughing and giggling the entire time.

Next up was:

I think Hailey was a bit surprised Donald was sneaking up behind her; right after I snapped this picture, she smacked him on the bill!

Donald initially acted offended and we told her to apologize, which she did. Afterward, they hugged and she gave him a kiss:

Yes, we are actually eating too. The food was standard fare, nothing really stood out as absolutely delicious.

The chef joined us:

He was followed by the head waitress:

Not long after Mickey and Minnie came around, the waitress brought Hailey a birthday cupcake, lit the candle and told us they were going to do a special celebration announcement.

The announcement played, and everyone spun their napkins in the air.

Hailey blew out her candle after the announcement ended.

The rest of us ate from the normal dessert bar; this is the reason to go to Chef Mickey's. I especially enjoyed the Oreo chocolate mousse Mickey ears.

After waiting a few more minutes, we finally had our last visitor.

Hailey wanted to play with his tongue.

Quick review of Chef Mickey's from Twitter:

9/7/2009 6:44 PM EDT Chef Mickey's is fun. Characters are quite interactive with the kids. Another birthday cupcake too.

After leaving Chef Mickey's, we spent some time browsing the concourse before getting on the resort monorail and headed to the Magic Kingdom.

On the monorail, I avoided the balloons stuck on the window and got a beautiful shot of the Grand Floridian.

Coming up: some more fun in the Magic Kingdom and the search for the 9/9/9 pin continues
Old 09-30-2009, 10:18 PM   #84
Sleepingbooty
DIS Veteran

I'm sorry, I hate to keep gushing, but your photos are absolutely beautiful. You've really only been into photography for a couple years? You must be a quick study!
Old 09-30-2009, 11:37 PM   #85
scoot241
Geaux Tigers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepingbooty View Post
I'm sorry, I hate to keep gushing, but your photos are absolutely beautiful. You've really only been into photography for a couple years? You must be a quick study!
Thank you again!

I've been taking pictures for a long time, and digital pictures since 2004. I finally bought a digital SLR and got serious about it earlier this year though.

I still have tons to learn and figure out; shooting and processing the pictures from this trip has taught me a lot about how to get the most out of the pictures. The Photography Board regulars really shoot incredible pictures, so it's a good place to learn and get ideas on both Disney and non-Disney subjects.
Old 09-30-2009, 11:56 PM   #86
VBsHustla
DIS Veteran

Wow! That last pic of the GF is completely amazing!
Next time I see you, I'm giving you a high five. 'Cause hugs are overrated, just FYI.

Old 10-01-2009, 11:32 AM   #87
Todd_H
DIS Veteran

Jumping on...

Great TR so far, Scott and great pictures ! You had an awesome background for Spectro! Mine was horrible (the shooting arcade in Frontierland that I didn't even notice until I was reviewing them later in the room).

Please visit my flickr photostream
Old 10-01-2009, 02:36 PM   #88
scoot241
Geaux Tigers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd_H View Post
Jumping on...

Great TR so far, Scott and great pictures ! You had an awesome background for Spectro! Mine was horrible (the shooting arcade in Frontierland that I didn't even notice until I was reviewing them later in the room).
Thanks! I've really been enjoying your report and pictures too!

I'm glad we were on Main Street for Spectro. RideMax suggested watching Spectro in Frontierland or Liberty Square, and I thought "why would I want Frontierland in the background?" It also made more sense to be there and stick around for Wishes than to move from somewhere else to Main Street/hub area. We definitely sat and held that spot for a good long while, but our goal that night was to see Spectro and Wishes and then we wouldn't have it hanging over our heads for the rest of the week.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:17 PM   #89
scoot241
Geaux Tigers!

Part 14: A Magic Kingdom Evening

Bonus Picture:

After getting back into the Magic Kingdom, we decided we would ride two rides this evening. We let Hailey choose, and first she chose Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin.

We walked up Main Street, took a right at the hub, and headed up toward Rocket Tower. Buzz was less crowded this evening than it was when my sister and I rode it the night before.

The orange robot wasn't moving, and it made it nearly impossible to hit the back of its hand. Overall, a fun ride, but I still don't like that it locks you into place in the last room to take your picture.

Afterward, Hailey got to choose her second ride of the evening; she picked "it's a small world". We took the long way up past the Speedway and took a left at the Mad Tea Party to walk all the way through Fantasyland to get to IASW.

The WDW rendition of the DL facade:

Personally, after seeing DL's IASW, the clock facade didn't impress me very much.

Here's the Twitter post:

9/7/2009 8:55 PM EDT Got in a couple of quick rides at MK before heading out before Spectro: Buzz and IASW.

We were definitely getting out of there before Spectro forced us to squeeze through the Main Street sidewalks with all the suckers that sat on the curb for hours (oh wait, that was us last night). However, that wasn't quite the full story. On our way out, we stopped at Uptown Jewelers in search of the 9/9/9 pin once again. The CM there wasn't all that helpful, and had never heard of the pin. She asked another CM who also had never heard of it. We also glanced at a few things in the store but didn't purchase anything yet.

Back at Pop Century, we relaxed in the food court with our mugs. My mom decided to go look in the gift shop. After being gone for a little while, she returns and has all the details about the pin. A CM from New Orleans was working in the shop, and he had just updated the pin binder. Included in the update was the 9/9/9 pin. It will be out on Wednesday morning at 9AM at the main pin location for each park as well as the Downtown Disney pin location. There are only 2000 pins, so we needed to be at one of the pin locations that morning because there may not be any later on. Chip and Dale are on top of the 999.

Well, at least we had the information. Now we needed to figure out how we would get a pin when we had 8:20AM reservations at CRT Wednesday morning!

Finally, we went back to our rooms, cleaned up and went to bed. (Yes, we are just now ending the first full day in the parks. Yes, this trip report might be going until sometime in 2010. )

Coming up: Animal Kingdom, where Hailey fits right in *rimshot*
Old 10-01-2009, 10:11 PM   #90
annnewjerz
If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense.

I love the 999 pin. I was looking at them on e-bay, but I think I should work on trading some that I have first before I go buying more. Chip and Dale are my faves!

So Scott, what side of the boat were you on for IASW? The hippo and Taj Mahal were two IASW shots I really wanted to make sure I got and I see you got them both. So right side, or left side?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: