Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2009, 10:39 PM   #46
scoot241
Geaux Tigers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by We_love_WDW View Post
Wow those are some really good pictures. What kind of camera do you have and where did you get it? After looking at your specromagic pictures I realized how bad our camera is -
Hi! I somehow skipped right over your post!

I have the Canon Digital Rebel XSi, which is a somewhat entry level digital SLR (the true entry level is the XS). I bought it at Best Buy of all places because they were offering 18 months no interest.

I also bought another lens for the camera: the Sigma 30mm f/1.4. This lens has a wider aperture than the "kit lens" (lens included with the camera). The wider aperture allows more light into the camera and makes night shots and other low-light situations easier.

On this trip, I actually felt limited by the XSi for the first time. The XSi has a maximum ISO of 1600, and you need more than that combined with a large aperture lens in order to get decent shots in the Haunted Mansion. The next level up would be the 50D; someone else would have to comment on whether that camera's ISO capabilities are sufficient for a very dark ride like the Haunted Mansion.

I'm definitely still learning how to use the camera (and how to take good photos in general), but I absolutely love the pictures it takes. When something is wrong, it's usually something I did rather than the camera.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annnewjerz
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!
Sorry Ann, you'll just have to wait until tomorrow!
Old 09-21-2009, 11:49 AM   #47
UncleOrville
Mouseketeer

Hi Scott,

I haven't had a chance to read your report yet, but I wanted to check in and subscribe! Your daughter is gorgeous! Can't wait to read the report and see your pics!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-21-2009, 12:00 PM   #48
disneygirlinnj
DIS Veteran

OK why am I a spaz and can't figure out how to direct link to my flickr photos? I've copied and pasted the code from flickr but it's not working
Old 09-21-2009, 12:20 PM   #49
scoot241
Geaux Tigers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneygirlinnj View Post
OK why am I a spaz and can't figure out how to direct link to my flickr photos? I've copied and pasted the code from flickr but it's not working
You have to do it manually. DIS doesn't allow HTML.

Put your picture in with the IMG tag, then highlight the whole thing (from IMG to /IMG) and then click the globe with the chain link above. Paste the link to the Flickr page into the box that pops up and it will wrap the image code with URL tags which will make the image a link.
Old 09-21-2009, 12:22 PM   #50
disneygirlinnj
DIS Veteran

Thank you! Ok..ignore the same question I asked you on my trip report lol
Old 09-21-2009, 12:25 PM   #51
scoot241
Geaux Tigers!

Quote:
Thank you! Ok..ignore the same question I asked you on my trip report lol
See your PTR for response to this.
Old 09-21-2009, 12:44 PM   #52
scoot241
Geaux Tigers!

Speaking of pictures, it looks like I need to post a bunch when I get home because the report has caught up with my Flickr. Looks like I have some work to do tonight.
Old 09-21-2009, 12:59 PM   #53
ProPhotoGA
Disney Virgin

Scott,

Great TR. Came over from my PTR. I have you as a flickr contact. I have
been enjoying your images. I will have to look at a smaller camera as my
Canon 1Ds mkIII will not be making this trip. I may pick up a 5D to play with at
Disney. Lovin the report and the photos!.

Gene

Old 09-21-2009, 02:54 PM   #54
scoot241
Geaux Tigers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProPhotoGA View Post
Scott,

Great TR. Came over from my PTR. I have you as a flickr contact. I have
been enjoying your images. I will have to look at a smaller camera as my
Canon 1Ds mkIII will not be making this trip. I may pick up a 5D to play with at
Disney. Lovin the report and the photos!.

Gene
Thanks!

Have you seen the Photography Board yet? That's actually how I found these boards.

I think a 5D would serve you very well in WDW. Of course, I think the 1Ds mkIII would also, but it's probably a bit large for vacation purposes.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:11 PM   #55
scoot241
Geaux Tigers!

Part 8: Day 2 Begins at EPCOT

9/7/2009 8:09 AM Good morning! Getting ready to go to EPCOT.

I was already up for a half-hour or so by this point. In fact, Hailey heard us moving in bed and told us to get up. After waking up Mommy and I, she knocked on the connecting door until the rest of the family was up. Just because they were up doesn't mean they were moving though.

After getting dressed I went outside and took a few pictures in the 50s area of Pop.

After coming back to the room, surprise surprise, we're still not ready to go.

9/7/2009 9:09 AM My family is sooooo slow in the morning.

After finally pushing them out the door, we're to the bus stop and on our way to EPCOT. (Note that we haven't eaten yet.)

At this point I'd like to present the dedication plaque; one of the few places the park is still referred to as EPCOT Center (and one of two places that I know of where the original logo is still present).

I took some pictures of what Wikipedia refers to as a pentakis dodecahedron.

Of course, we also stopped for some PhotoPass pictures. Here's one the photographer took from my camera. Again I was asked "where's the zoom?"

Naturally, our first ride of the day was right behind us!

I absolutely adore this mural. It's one of my favorite pieces of art in all of Disney World.

The ascent is even better than ever thanks to the refurbishment.

The new scenes are nice; I haven't seen too many pictures of the Steve Jobs scene:

And finally, Hailey's favorite part of the ride. She talked about it for the rest of the week.

The decent, to me, was disappointing. While the program on the screen is somewhat amusing, all that space during the descent except for the first few feet with the lights (which looks great, by the way) is nothing but black curtains. Couldn't they at least have run the lights all the way down if nothing else?

Coming up: a search for breakfast

Last edited by scoot241; 09-21-2009 at 09:22 PM.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:18 AM   #56
FreezinRafiki
DDC 322
Cold enough for ya?
Shocking, isn't it. Oh, wait, thats a taser

Just stumbled upon your TR. I wish I had know about it while you were there so I could have followed it live, but it's great that you're incorporating your tweets in here. Great pictures!
Old 09-22-2009, 08:16 AM   #57
scoot241
Geaux Tigers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezinRafiki View Post
Just stumbled upon your TR. I wish I had know about it while you were there so I could have followed it live, but it's great that you're incorporating your tweets in here. Great pictures!
Welcome and thanks!
Old 09-22-2009, 08:56 AM   #58
scoot241
Geaux Tigers!

An aside...

Yesterday after I got home from work, we were sitting around and I had the urge to turn on a video of the original Journey to Imagination (there's a guy named Martin Smith online who does tributes of old WDW attractions; they're very well done). Even though the video was obviously from a VHS camcorder (probably one of those big ones that you had to hold on your shoulder in the 80s), it was easy to see that the original Imagination was much better than the current one, although some parts of it were a bit outdated. Hailey really got excited when she saw the rainbow tunnel. She started talking about how she wanted to go through the rainbow tunnel next time she was there. I told her the rainbow tunnel wasn't there anymore, and she was a bit disappointed and still kept saying she wanted to go through the rainbow tunnel. Why in the world did they ever shut that down? It still looks cool even today. Some of the other stuff was getting outdated, but a lot of it is essentially the same stuff that's there now. The lights where you step on the light and it makes a sound is now where you step on kids with instruments and it makes an instrument sound. An updated version of the conducting thing is still there too.

Watching that video after freshly going through the current Imagination ride really made me realize how much they butchered the pavillion.

Anyway, back to your normally scheduled programming tonight (probably).

ETA: I noticed the Photography Board contest for this week is "Kids of the World". I definitely have something up my sleeve for it (no, you haven't seen it yet).

Last edited by scoot241; 09-22-2009 at 09:22 AM.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:51 AM   #59
disneygirlinnj
DIS Veteran

it's sad what they did to the whole Journey pavilion. I really think all of my Epcot memories are from there. Loved the rainbow tunnel, and all the interactive games they had at the end. I can remember trying to paint Figment on the screen and I kept running out of time because I was trying to get it perfect. lol

I also have all of the old rides on VHS tapes from when my dad used to lug his huge camera around on his shoulder. i'm slowly starting to convert them to DVD but it's taking a lot longer than I had planned!
Old 09-22-2009, 10:03 AM   #60
scoot241
Geaux Tigers!

Quote:
it's sad what they did to the whole Journey pavilion. I really think all of my Epcot memories are from there. Loved the rainbow tunnel, and all the interactive games they had at the end. I can remember trying to paint Figment on the screen and I kept running out of time because I was trying to get it perfect. lol

I also have all of the old rides on VHS tapes from when my dad used to lug his huge camera around on his shoulder. i'm slowly starting to convert them to DVD but it's taking a lot longer than I had planned!
I have a lot of old tapes that I should convert too, but they're all in New Orleans. My dad lugged a huge VHS camera you had to hold on your shoulder too. It was like carrying a VCR with a lens.

I'm listening to the Inside the Magic podcast, and the audio from the Parks & Resorts presentation at D23 is playing. It's pretty good listening to the announcements instead of just reading them.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: