Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2009, 08:24 AM   #31
dax248
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoot241 View Post
Thank you so much! Her hair is the #1 thing she gets compliments on.

I realized I still need an avatar picture here. Maybe I'll bring Dr. Teeth over from my Twitter account.
That would be an awesome avatar!
Old 09-17-2009, 08:48 AM   #32
scoot241
Geaux Tigers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dax248 View Post
That would be an awesome avatar!
And here he is.

Paint is such a primitive image editing program, but that's all I have at work.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-17-2009, 10:06 PM   #33
scoot241
Geaux Tigers!

Part 5: Some Extra Magic in the Magic Kingdom

After finishing at 'Ohana, we rode Monorail Blue back to the Magic Kingdom.

Once we got out of the station, here's what we saw:

9/6/2009 7:16 PM Rainbow over MK; how cool is that?

We were heading to the Haunted Mansion; Hailey wanted it to be her second ride. Here's a couple of more rainbow shots:

We took PhotoPass pictures at the spot above while the rainbow was there.

As I said, we were on the way to the Haunted Mansion:

While we were walking in the queue outside, Pal Mickey told us about the horseless carriage:

Haunted Mansion is very tough to photograph, so one of the few usable images from inside that I have is from the stretching room.

Hailey liked most of the Haunted Mansion, but got a little scared at times, especially at the beginning of the ride if I recall correctly. Overall, another success!

After the Haunted Mansion, we went looking for a spot to set up for Spectromagic and Wishes. I found a trash can to put my Gorillapod and camera on for Wishes in front of Casey's Corner.

9/6/2009 8:23 PM Rode haunted mansion; now waiting on main street for spectro and wishes.

Coming up: Spectromagic after lots of waiting
Old 09-18-2009, 12:22 PM   #34
thecapells
Disney Dad

Great POTC pics!!

Can't wait to get there ourselves this November!
In the meantime, I'm subscribing to hear your fun!
Old 09-18-2009, 12:34 PM   #35
scoot241
Geaux Tigers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecapells View Post
Great POTC pics!!

Can't wait to get there ourselves this November!
In the meantime, I'm subscribing to hear your fun!
Welcome! I was starting to look through your last TR. Poor baby! It looked like he was enjoying himself anyway though.

Thanks for the compliments on the photos!
Old 09-18-2009, 07:20 PM   #36
scoot241
Geaux Tigers!

Part 6: Spectromagic!

We're standing just up the street toward Cinderella Castle from Casey's. We've been parked there for a while, and a CM brought out some hula hoops for the kids to play with. Hailey joined in and tried to do the hula hoop:

Not long after this, we had a brief scare. However it exactly happened I'm not sure, but I thought Hailey was sitting in her stroller. She wasn't, so I asked where she was. No one knew! Thankfully, we turned around and she was behind us talking to a CM about her day and how she went on Pirates and HM. I guess the CM started talking to her, but I wouldn't be surprised if she was the one who initiated the conversation. We gave her another talk about wandering off and put her back in her stroller.

Finally, the first part of what we've been waiting on the curb all this time for: Spectromagic!

These are some of my favorite photos so far. If you'd like to view any of them larger, click on the picture and it will take you to the Flickr page. There should then be a button over the picture that says "All Sizes". Click it and it should come up in a larger size.

Coming up: The Wishes dilemma, EMH and the end of the first day (finally!)
Old 09-18-2009, 07:48 PM   #37
annnewjerz
If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense.

Great Specto shots, Scott!! Quick question---were you right on the curb when shooting these (like front row) and if so, did you get this close to the floats using the 30mm or did you crop some of the dead space around the floats out? I had read recently on some thread that you can use the 50mm if you want a close-up view of the characters in the parade, but these shots look plenty close to me!

Can't wait to read/see more!

PS: I might steal your idea about incorporating the "tweets" into the TR when I eventually come back from The World. I recently signed up for a Twitter to win something and have no use for it. I've been thinking about how I will keep track of our day for the TR (a journal, live blogging, twitter, etc.) and I think a combo of twitter/live blogging from my iPHONE is the way to go. Who really wants to carry around a pen and paper to write everything down when you can just record it all electronically and pull it up when you get home?
Old 09-18-2009, 08:41 PM   #38
We_love_WDW
DIS Veteran

Wow those are some really good pictures. What kind of camera do you have and where did you get it? After looking at your specromagic pictures I realized how bad our camera is -
Old 09-18-2009, 08:48 PM   #39
scoot241
Geaux Tigers!

Thank you Ann!

I'm looking through the pictures now; I'm pretty sure some are cropped and some aren't.

Trumpeters: cropped to take out some extra stuff on the right
Guy on Ball: cropped, some stuff to the right, better composition
Spectro float with Mickey in background: no crop
First Mickey: cropped to make the picture a little tighter
Second Mickey: cropped, had some empty space above his head
Chip and Dale: no crop
Fairy floats and castle: cropped out a dragonfly on the right
Ursula: no crop; she came right in front of us
Ariel: cropped; composition and cut out Flounder
Chernabog: cropped, took out some empty space to the right of him
Cinderella: cropped, mostly to move Cinderella to the right
Prince Charming & Cinderella: no crop
End of parade: cropped, had some empty space

I was right on the curb next to a trash can near Casey's. It was a really good spot to watch the parade. Wishes was another story, however. That'll be for the next installment. Hmm... I may post one of my uncropped Wishes pictures to illustrate.

By the way, if you're wondering who just started following you on Twitter, it's me.
Old 09-18-2009, 09:02 PM   #40
annnewjerz

Quote:
Thank you Ann!

I'm looking through the pictures now; I'm pretty sure some are cropped and some aren't.

Trumpeters: cropped to take out some extra stuff on the right
Guy on Ball: cropped, some stuff to the right, better composition
Spectro float with Mickey in background: no crop
First Mickey: cropped to make the picture a little tighter
Second Mickey: cropped, had some empty space above his head
Chip and Dale: no crop
Fairy floats and castle: cropped out a dragonfly on the right
Ursula: no crop; she came right in front of us
Ariel: cropped; composition and cut out Flounder
Chernabog: cropped, took out some empty space to the right of him
Cinderella: cropped, mostly to move Cinderella to the right
Prince Charming & Cinderella: no crop
End of parade: cropped, had some empty space

I was right on the curb next to a trash can near Casey's. It was a really good spot to watch the parade. Wishes was another story, however. That'll be for the next installment. Hmm... I may post one of my uncropped Wishes pictures to illustrate.

By the way, if you're wondering who just started following you on Twitter, it's me.
Thanks for the info on the crops. I don't mind cropping a bit at all, just wanted to make sure there wasn't extremely heavy cropping to make up for the 30mm focal length. I've never even watched Spectro before (not into parades really) but plan to in October, so I'm glad to see some pictures using the same lens I'll be shooting with.

I had heard Casey's was a good place for Wishes, although my plan is to get right into the "hub" with my Tokina 11-16 and try to get some neat shots. We'll see how that works.

I wasn't wondering who was following me, I don't know many Scotts---especially not people who are on Twitter with WDW in their username. My first follower, maybe you'll get a special prize when I return from The World.
Old 09-18-2009, 09:25 PM   #41
scoot241
Geaux Tigers!

I'll get into this more, but I think I would have done better with my full tripod.

The 30mm served me well the entire trip. I only used my 18-55 for two days. Getting some UWA Wishes shots should be very interesting! Getting in the hub would probably be good but I wonder if you might get too close. I'm sure someone would know better than I do though.
Old 09-19-2009, 04:49 PM   #42
scoot241
Geaux Tigers!

Part 7: Wishes, MK EMH, and the end of Day 1

Not long after Spectromagic passed, I reset my camera on the Gorillapod and set it up on the trash can we've been standing next to. Now, I bought the SLR-Zoom Gorillapod, so I'm thinking this thing should be pretty sturdy. Well, it is until you start trying to bend it to meet your needs. After lots of bending and maneuvering, I finally got it into a stable position. Problem solved, right? Wrong!

After Spectromagic, everyone moved into the street (there were tape lines in the street to mark where everyone could stand). So now the crowd shifts and here's what it looks like to the camera:

Needless to say, after all this camping and setting up and the Gorillapod issues, I'm fairly aggravated. Especially with Captain Bald Spot and his video camera who are taking up 1/3 of the frame.

I was also fighting not setting the camera correctly to take the pictures. So between the settings and the tripod, most the frustration was my own fault.

It wasn't a complete waste, however:

After Wishes, everyone went back to the buses except for my sister and I. Instead, we took advantage of EMH to ride the big rides.

9/6/2009 10:31 PM EDT Sister and I are taking advantage of EMH. Shot Spectro and Wishes; very frustrated with how Wishes went.

I handed my camera to my wife to take back to the room (so no pictures for the rest of this post), and we headed straight for Frontierland. Splash had a standby time of 20 minutes, and BTMRR had a standby time of 30 minutes. We chose Splash first, and it probably took us 5 minutes to get through the queue and then we almost immediately boarded our log. 20 minutes was a severe overestimate.

Splash was great as always; we didn't get very wet. The wettest part for us was when we got caught by the spray shot off when a log goes down the last drop. The people in front of us got most of the big drop's splash I believe. After singing "Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Da", we came out, tried to find our picture but never saw it and headed toward BTMRR.

9/6/2009 10:54 PM Did splash. BTMRR is supposedly 40 minutes but I don't think so.

As we're winding through the queue of BTMRR, the people in front of us decide to start taking down the chains that keep people walking back and forth. Now I admit that having those chains up wasn't necessary, but have a little respect people. We followed them only because everyone else would probably start passing us up if we chose to keep winding through the queue.

Needless to say, we probably walked through the queue longer than we waited when we actually got to the line.

9/6/2009 11:21 PM The wildest ride in the wilderness http://twitpic.com/gt1rk

9/6/2001 11:22 PM BTMRR was much shorter than 40 minutes. Now taking a spin with Buzz.

Those are only a minute apart because I couldn't get the post with the picture to upload in the loading area.

That's right, after doing the two big Frontierland attractions, I wasn't quite ready to go yet. My sister and I walked across the entire park to Buzz. Wait time was 20 minutes, and that was probably about right.

While in the queue...

9/6/2009 11:26 PM DD batteries. Disney, can you really tell me there's no double meaning here? http://twitpic.com/gt2g1

You can all tell where my mind was at that point...

After Buzz, we looked around near the Space Mountain construction. Little did we know we would get a much better look at the end of the week.

Finally done for the night, we headed back to the buses. Did I mention that Pop's buses were at #18? All the way at the end of the bus stop.

Even without my camera, I was still thinking about taking pictures:

9/7/2009 12:00 AM Mickey balloon stickers on all the transportation make it difficult to take pics out the windows.

Back at Pop, everyone else was already in bed. It wasn't long before we joined them.

Coming up: A morning at EPCOT
Old 09-20-2009, 07:28 PM   #43
disneygirlinnj
DIS Veteran

Wow I missed a few updates while I was away!

Amazing shots of Spectro!! And Wishes even with baldy in your way. Heading to your flickr soon to check out the EXIF data on those spectro shots. And I'm sooooo itching for that 30mm... :D My 50mm works and I do enjoy it but 30mm? That would be awesome!
Old 09-20-2009, 08:00 PM   #44
scoot241
Geaux Tigers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneygirlinnj View Post
Wow I missed a few updates while I was away!

Amazing shots of Spectro!! And Wishes even with baldy in your way. Heading to your flickr soon to check out the EXIF data on those spectro shots. And I'm sooooo itching for that 30mm... :D My 50mm works and I do enjoy it but 30mm? That would be awesome!
Glad to see you back! I was checking out some of your flickr photos and it looked like you had a good time despite the nasty weather.

I have to say that I really like the 30mm. The one complaint I have against it is that it will hunt for focus in very low light. But I guess any lens will hunt if it can't catch a spot to focus on. I got a pretty good deal on it on eBay; it wasn't brand new but the guy took some test shots and decided not to keep it. I still paid about $300, but that's better than what B&H wanted.

I believe my Spectro shots were ISO 800, Tv mode set to 1/50 of a second.

Honestly, it was while waiting for Spectro and Wishes that we encountered most of the rude guests that we saw during the trip. And I hate to say it but they were all foreigners. I hate even writing that because it sounds like I'm just generalizing but it's the truth.

Anyway, I think I'm taking a break from writing tonight (so you can catch up ). I'll probably write another one tomorrow.
Old 09-20-2009, 08:24 PM   #45
annnewjerz

Quote:
Anyway, I think I'm taking a break from writing tonight
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: