Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2009, 04:00 PM   #16
scoot241
Geaux Tigers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAcpl View Post
Philly gets no love?
I saild almost everyone.

Never been to Philly either. This may turn into a NE US tour.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:17 PM   #17
scoot241
Geaux Tigers!

Part 3: Pirates!

After the parade, we made our way up Main Street and veered off to the left in front of Casey's. The street was still packed heading into the hub, but the alternate route in front of Crystal Palace turned out not to be much better.

We finally made the left to head into Adventureland. We passed Aladdin's carpets, the Tiki Room, and the Jungle Cruise and made our way to:

Hailey's excited; this is the ride she wanted to do first!

Afterward, Hailey tells us "I liked it except for the waterfall". At first we thought she meant the drop, but when we kept asking, she meant the mist that Davy Jones shows up in. Overall, success on the first ride!

I need to post more photos before I move on, so part 3 will have to end here.

Coming up: Will we see another Twitter post anytime in the near future?

Last edited by scoot241; 09-14-2009 at 09:31 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-14-2009, 09:40 PM   #18
PAcpl
The more you like yourself, the less you are like anyone else, which makes you unique. -Walt Disney

Wow, great shots on Pirates.. What settings did you use on what SLR?
October 2009 - Beach Club Villas (MNSSHP, HHN, Food&Wine Festival)
May 2010 - Boardwalk Villas (Flower and Garden Festival)
December 2010 - Boardwalk Villas (First Disney Christmas)
December 2011 - Boardwalk Villas (Disney Christmas)
May 2012 - Boardwalk Villas (Flower and Garden Festival)
October 2012 - Boardwalk Villas (Food & Wine, HHN)
February 2014 - Bay Lake Towers/Hard Rock Hotel (First Universal Stay)
October 2014 - Disneyland Hotel Paris (First International Disney)
Old 09-14-2009, 09:55 PM   #19
scoot241
Geaux Tigers!

I have the Canon XSi, and I used the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 lens. I set it to ISO 1600 and put it in Tv mode and set the shutter speed to 1/50 of a second. I did some sharpening and noise reduction in Lightroom before posting.

The Sigma 30mm is my favorite of the two lenses I own, so it was on the camera for all but two days of the trip. The 18-55 IS is nice but it's not quite as sharp as the 30mm and doesn't do nearly as well when shooting in low light. Next big camera purchase is a nice telephoto.
Old 09-15-2009, 06:46 PM   #20
scoot241
Geaux Tigers!

Part 4: A Magic Carpet Ride

9/6/2009 4:02 PM EDT: In MK. Saw the parade, went on pirates and now waiting for aladdin's carpets.

Finally, another Twitter post! They do get more frequent.

As you can read, we're waiting in line now for:

Hailey's ready to fly on Dum... I mean Aladdin's carpets. (Dumbo comes later, duh.)

After Aladdin, it's time to start heading out for dinner. On the way out I get a nice shot of the castle.

We also take our first PhotoPass pictures. Apparently I forgot to take my glasses off when she was shooting with my camera.

And now for a rant about the PhotoPass photographers. Do not hand them a DSLR with a prime lens on it. They do not understand the concept. Every time I handed them my camera, they immediately reached for the focus ring, tried to zoom, and then exclaimed "Where's the zoom?". I eventually stopped giving them my camera and just hoped the pictures they took would be good. Most of them are, so overall I'm pleased with the service, but for people who sit behind a camera all day, you think they would at least have heard of a prime lens.

Anyway, after the PhotoPass pictures, we headed for the exit.

Yes, the Magic Kingdom would see us again real soon.

Coming up: interesting times on the monorail, and where did we eat for dinner?
Old 09-15-2009, 08:03 PM   #21
disneygirlinnj
DIS Veteran

Nice castle shot!

About the photographers... I hate to say it but for the most part they have no idea what they're doing. They aren't photographers. They're just people that get handed a camera and are told to go take photos and scan photopass cards. I noticed it a LOT more during night shots. During a sunset shot the pics weren't coming out that great and the photographer said he couldn't change the settings. His excuse is that someone else sets the camera settings or tells them what to put it on and that's what they have to use. I think it's BS and in reality he just had no idea what to change. I wish they would at least train these guys a little more!
Old 09-15-2009, 08:14 PM   #22
scoot241
Geaux Tigers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneygirlinnj View Post
Nice castle shot!

About the photographers... I hate to say it but for the most part they have no idea what they're doing. They aren't photographers. They're just people that get handed a camera and are told to go take photos and scan photopass cards. I noticed it a LOT more during night shots. During a sunset shot the pics weren't coming out that great and the photographer said he couldn't change the settings. His excuse is that someone else sets the camera settings or tells them what to put it on and that's what they have to use. I think it's BS and in reality he just had no idea what to change. I wish they would at least train these guys a little more!
I agree J, and I do have to say that most of the shots that aren't that great are a result of an uncooperative 4 year old rather than poor settings. Overall the PhotoPass shots are good and I've been adding borders and changing sizes like crazy to them.

I believe it was later this day where one of the photographers told us "well, you get what you get" when I told him it didn't have a zoom. It's called move around, dude!
Old 09-15-2009, 08:31 PM   #23
disneygirlinnj
DIS Veteran

Haha! Yeah...after that little sunset dilemna, I started taking test shots with my camera while on line waiting and getting the perfect settings. Then I would just hand the photographer my camera all ready to go and at least one said that my camera photo came out better than the photopass camera one

Can't beat the borders and fun stuff though. No matter how much I complain about the photogs, I still order the CD just for the cool pics!
Old 09-15-2009, 09:02 PM   #24
dax248
Mouseketeer

Joining up for the recap.

Sorry I missed following you on Twitter. I love being able to do that, it is just awesome!
Old 09-15-2009, 10:15 PM   #25
scoot241
Geaux Tigers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dax248 View Post
Joining up for the recap.

Sorry I missed following you on Twitter. I love being able to do that, it is just awesome!
Welcome!

I'm really enjoying the Twitter Disney community that's starting to develop. It lets me keep up with others who are enjoying the World when I'm not and vice versa. Plus, I was getting all the D23 updates while I was at WDW last week without searching the web for them.
Old 09-16-2009, 06:07 PM   #26
scoot241
Geaux Tigers!

Part 5: A Strange Monorail Ride and Our First Dinner

After leaving the Magic Kingdom, we take a right and head up to the Resort Monorail.

It's Hailey's first ride on the monorail and naturally she's enjoying it. However, the monorail stops on the way to the Contemporary.

9/6/2009 4:36 PM EDT En route to ohana. Monorail driver is confused as to where he is. We're sitting on the beam in front of space mtn.

The monorail driver came on and said "Welcome aboard Monorail Lime. We're currently waiting for the monorail in front of us to clear the Polynes... to clear the Transportation and Ticket... you see that big A-frame building in front of us? That's the Contemporary Resort, and once the monorail in front of us clears the station, we'll be heading in there.

Naturally, I'm correcting him every time he says the wrong building even though he can't hear me. From this spot, I did get a nice shot of Space Mountain through the window.

We arrive at the Polynesian. There's a line forming on the left side of the 2nd floor lobby. Naturally, it's the line to check in for 'Ohana, our dinner ADR today. 'Ohana hadn't actually opened for dinner yet (it opens at 5:00 PM). I stand in line while most everyone else scatters for the moment. The line is back to Kona already.

A couple of shots from the lobby looking down:

A few minutes after they open, we finally get to the front of the line at:

Here's my mini-review from Twitter:
9/6/2006 6:02 PM EDT Ohana is awesome! Everything I've eaten is good, but my favorite is the pork (and this is coming from a steak person). Dessert coming soon.

(This is the one area I slacked on the whole trip: taking pictures of the food)

We had the usual 'Ohana dinner with all of our cousins. We started with the 'Ohana Welcome Bread and the salad, both quite good. I really liked the honey-lime dressing.

Next came the pork dumplings with sweet & sour sauce, and the chicken wings in honey sauce. Both sweet and delicious. They also brought out the various sauces for the meats.

Soon, the meats start showing up, along with the noodles and stir-fry vegetables. I tried some of each meat, and I still stand by my Twitter post. The pork is the absolute best and easily beats the steak.

Now Hailey loves shrimp, but she's not into spicy food yet. We mentioned this to our server (IIRC, his name is Brandon) and he mentioned it to the chef. After we had started getting our meats, he brought out a bowl full of shrimp just for Hailey that didn't have the spices on it. She did try one of the regular shrimp; at first she said she liked it then she said she didnt . But she started devouring the shrimp made just for her; we had to keep peeling them to keep up!

After filling up on the various meats, we were sitting nice and happy until we saw the desserts starting to come out. Wow, that banana bread pudding looks incredible!

However, something else arrived first:

9/6/2009 6:44 PM EDT The birthday treats begin. Hailey got a cupcake with an umbrella in it and a bowl of ice cream; both had Mickey sprinkles on top.

We sang Happy Birthday, and Hailey blew out the candle.

Our dessert came soon after:

9/6/2009 6:44 PM EDT The rest of us had the banana bread pudding; pretty awesome in its own right.

We went to town on the bread pudding, and Hailey went after the cupcake:

Overall, 'Ohana was excellent and I highly recommend trying to get a reservation there. The food and the atmosphere are wonderful.

It was raining a bit when we were done, so we took our time getting back to the Magic Kingdom.

Coming up: something special occurs at the Magic Kingdom.
Old 09-16-2009, 08:31 PM   #27
disneygirlinnj
DIS Veteran

So I'm warning you now that I might tell you Hailey is the most adorable thing ever about a million times. Her curly hair is so adorable

Glad you liked Ohana! Still haven't been there yet but that banana bread pudding is totally calling my name.

Did you use long exposure on that Poly waterfall shot? Oh wait...I'll go stalk on flickr and find out lol
Old 09-16-2009, 09:06 PM   #28
scoot241
Geaux Tigers!

Each picture in the trip report links directly to its Flickr page.

The waterfall was 1/6 of a second. It's a pain to look that up on the iPhone.

Thanks for the Hailey compliments! I'm starting to think she knows how cute she is.
Old 09-17-2009, 07:18 AM   #29
dax248
Mouseketeer

Your pictures are absolutely amazing. Wow! Also, your daughter is too darn cute. I keep showing my DH the pictures and going 'AWWW look at her, I love that hair."
Old 09-17-2009, 07:46 AM   #30
scoot241
Geaux Tigers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dax248 View Post
Your pictures are absolutely amazing. Wow! Also, your daughter is too darn cute. I keep showing my DH the pictures and going 'AWWW look at her, I love that hair."
Thank you so much! Her hair is the #1 thing she gets compliments on.

I realized I still need an avatar picture here. Maybe I'll bring Dr. Teeth over from my Twitter account.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: