Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2009, 05:23 AM   #151
annnewjerz
If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense.

Hey Scott, all caught up.

Really like those shots of Fantasmic! We don't plan on seeing it in December, I've seen it before and now that they limited the amount of shows per week we really don't feel like waiting an hour and a half in line to get in for a seat (you know, I don't like shows).

I totally feel you on the last minute decision to go to DHS and get the boat to Epcot. That was like us with trying to get to the Magic Kingdom, saw like 2 busses for every other resort. At some point, you just don't feel like standing around---even if it means taking longer to get there than taking the direct bus.

Del Monte fruit cup for dessert? CHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAP. Not to mention, even fresh fruit as a dessert option would be kind of a stretch, let alone a fruit cup. Looks like a good meal otherwise, though.
Old 10-25-2009, 09:27 AM   #152
scoot241
Geaux Tigers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by annnewjerz View Post
Hey Scott, all caught up.

Really like those shots of Fantasmic! We don't plan on seeing it in December, I've seen it before and now that they limited the amount of shows per week we really don't feel like waiting an hour and a half in line to get in for a seat (you know, I don't like shows).

I totally feel you on the last minute decision to go to DHS and get the boat to Epcot. That was like us with trying to get to the Magic Kingdom, saw like 2 busses for every other resort. At some point, you just don't feel like standing around---even if it means taking longer to get there than taking the direct bus.

Del Monte fruit cup for dessert? CHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAP. Not to mention, even fresh fruit as a dessert option would be kind of a stretch, let alone a fruit cup. Looks like a good meal otherwise, though.
I really like Fantasmic, but I don't blame you on that one. It's gotten a bit ridiculous to have to sit there for over an hour because of the limited showings. They did have two showings the night we went, but as we were walking out there was a huge crowd waiting for the next one. Fantasmic, IMO, definitely affects crowds at MGM. If it's showing that day, stay away unless you want to see it. It wasn't crowded enough that it really affected what we were doing (it was September after all), but it was more crowded than our days in other parks. What I'd probably do in the future is go to another park for the day (maybe EPCOT) and then show up just for Fantasmic that night. The good thing, though, is that we really didn't wait in line; we just waited in the seats forever.

The fruit cup really bothered me. Hailey didn't really notice so I tried not to make too big of a deal out of it, and it wouldn't be bad for her to get some fruit. It just felt really cheap, especially considering the prices on the menu (I know, we were on DDP so we didn't pay those prices, but still).
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-25-2009, 04:55 PM   #153
disneygirlinnj
DIS Veteran

I totally agree on the fruit cup!!! You'd think soft serve is actually cheaper....isn't it? At least in bulk like they have it? Crazy!!!
Old 10-25-2009, 05:25 PM   #154
scoot241
Geaux Tigers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneygirlinnj View Post
I totally agree on the fruit cup!!! You'd think soft serve is actually cheaper....isn't it? At least in bulk like they have it? Crazy!!!
It's cheap enough that restaurants have soft serve machines just sitting out with cones and bowls for people to go get, like the Tex-Mex restaurant not far from my house and Jason's Deli. At Teppan Edo, it's $4.50 for a bowl of soft-serve. And no, Disney does not somehow have better soft serve.
Old 10-25-2009, 05:47 PM   #155
annnewjerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoot241 View Post
And no, Disney does not somehow have better soft serve.

Everything tastes better in Disney, it's just a fact of life Scott.
Old 10-25-2009, 06:06 PM   #156
scoot241
Geaux Tigers!

Quote:
Everything tastes better in Disney, it's just a fact of life Scott.
To an extent I will agree with this, but not with that soft serve!
Old 10-26-2009, 01:12 PM   #157
scoot241
Geaux Tigers!

Part 29 - This Trip Report is Still Going?!?

Yes Ann, we're not quite done yet. After leaving Teppan Edo, we headed out and watched the Japanese drummers play for a few minutes before walking in the direction of the American Adventure.

9/11/2009 7:29 PM EDT Taking a stroll around the world.

We didn't really stop anywhere; we just kept walking all the way around the lagoon, taking in all the architecture. Once we circled the lagoon, I started eyeing a spot for Illuminations. A few minutes later, I saw a nice spot:

9/11/2009 7:58 PM EDT Set up for Illuminations between Mexico and Norway. I'm the putz with the tripod (yes, the only one).

While I set up, everyone else decided to go elsewhere. Hailey and my wife went to Spaceship Earth. My dad and sister went to Test Track. My mom sat on a bench behind me. So, the only things I have to protect the tripod are myself and the stroller (Hailey wanted to walk). So I park the stroller next to the tripod and stand there, and stand there, and stand there...

9/11/2009 8:38 PM EDT Standing guard over the tripod...

At some point, a nice couple stood to the left of my tripod and decided to help me out. His son was also into photography and just got the Canon T1i. A not-so-nice group to the right decided to stand in front the stroller, so I had to reposition it so it was up against the wall between them and the tripod. Finally, my family started returning. First back were Hailey and my wife; Hailey took her seat in the stroller and my wife went and sat with my mom for a little while. Next, my dad returned. My sister decided to ride Mission Space Orange and wasn't concerned if she didn't make it back for Illuminations. Not long before the show, my wife came up and joined us.

At 8:50, the torches light up, and at 9:00, the screaming firework goes off.

9/11/2009 9:22 PM EDT Illuminations went 100x better than wishes. Lots of nice pics.

I have trouble deciding whether Wishes or Illuminations is my favorite nighttime show. I think Wishes edges out because Illuminations has those parts where hardly anything is going on.

After Illuminations, we start making a slow walk to the front. Once again, we stop at Mouse Gear. This time, we make some purchases for Hailey. She wanted a Tinker Bell Barbie-like doll and a stuffed Pegasus. We used about half of her birthday gift card to get those. We also looked in the Art of Disney again, but didn't come out with anything. Hailey wanted to ride Spaceship Earth with me, so Hailey and I went on the ride and everyone else waited outside.

9/11/2009 10:40 PM EDT Did Spaceship Earth with Hailey one more time. Probably the last ride of the trip. Waiting for the bus back to Pop for our last night.

The bus took a little while to get there, but we eventually got back to Pop. I just started tweeting a bunch of stuff at this point.

9/11/2009 11:10 PM EDT Back at Pop drinking some Powerade in the food court. Hailey's asleep in the stroller. She's been a trooper this trip.

9/11/2009 11:27 PM EDT Bounceback offer in case anyone is interested: http://twitpic.com/hek9w

9/11/2009 11:29 PM EDT It's been a very busy & very fun week. Tomorrow we are planning to get our bags taken care of early & go to DtD for last minute shopping.

We packed most of our stuff and went to bed, knowing we'd be leaving for the real world tomorrow.

Coming up: Ann glares at me through her monitor as I try to stretch this report out more, and a rainy romp through Downtown Disney
Old 10-26-2009, 01:49 PM   #158
MyMuse
From here...to there!

Location: North NJ (I don't know any Sopranos! or Real Housewives!)

Smile

Ok, first things first! WOW on the Illumination pics!! Holy Buckets, Scott!

The last time with the bro & niece, my bro staked out a spot in front of American Adventure and it was perfect. No one stood to the right of us because it was a blocked view, so we had air and personal space. I really enoy Illuminations, but I think I had my fill unless they change it. I may concentrate more on seeing Wishes.

Re: Teppan Edo, definitely on the list for next time. Though, there is alot of good hibachi places around me, there is something about eating at Disney....
It sounds like you had a great time, other than the fruit cup. That is mighty weird. Maybe they didn't want more dishes? Sometimes, there is no rhyme or reason for things.

Re: One Man's Dream, I loved the pic of the park models. I've got to see if I can do that with my schmucky point & shoot. lol

Re: TSM, I don't get this ride at all. I don't have a plan to go on it, but maybe I should. I love Mr Potato Head.

And I never have to do RnRC again. Holy Buckets, I almost passed out after the ride. I felt really queasy. Hmmm...do you think it'll help me out with touring plans?

Re: Fantasmic, I really enjoyed the show. Thankfully, I've had the dinner package the 2 times I saw it. Once for Hollywood & Vine (which was very decent!) and once for Mama Melrose (it was ok). I think I can skip it next time. Your pics came out beauitfully and now I have to go back and check mine out!

I'm sorry your time is almost at an end.

How do you feel about Pop Century? Other than the recent bus escapade, how was the transportation?
Old 10-26-2009, 02:32 PM   #159
scoot241
Geaux Tigers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyMuse View Post
Ok, first things first! WOW on the Illumination pics!! Holy Buckets, Scott!

The last time with the bro & niece, my bro staked out a spot in front of American Adventure and it was perfect. No one stood to the right of us because it was a blocked view, so we had air and personal space. I really enoy Illuminations, but I think I had my fill unless they change it. I may concentrate more on seeing Wishes.

Re: Teppan Edo, definitely on the list for next time. Though, there is alot of good hibachi places around me, there is something about eating at Disney....
It sounds like you had a great time, other than the fruit cup. That is mighty weird. Maybe they didn't want more dishes? Sometimes, there is no rhyme or reason for things.

Re: One Man's Dream, I loved the pic of the park models. I've got to see if I can do that with my schmucky point & shoot. lol

Re: TSM, I don't get this ride at all. I don't have a plan to go on it, but maybe I should. I love Mr Potato Head.

And I never have to do RnRC again. Holy Buckets, I almost passed out after the ride. I felt really queasy. Hmmm...do you think it'll help me out with touring plans?

Re: Fantasmic, I really enjoyed the show. Thankfully, I've had the dinner package the 2 times I saw it. Once for Hollywood & Vine (which was very decent!) and once for Mama Melrose (it was ok). I think I can skip it next time. Your pics came out beauitfully and now I have to go back and check mine out!

I'm sorry your time is almost at an end.

How do you feel about Pop Century? Other than the recent bus escapade, how was the transportation?
Thank you!

I might have to check out the American Adventure next time I shoot Illuminations. I also think I'll use a wider lens; I wasn't getting any of the high bursts in my pictures.

Teppan Edo really was a great meal. Best hibachi I've had.

In One Man's Dream with a P&S, try shooting without a flash. You'll have to hold the camera extra steady, but the flash won't reflect off the glass cases.

The Mr. Potato Head animatronic is really well-done. He even pulls one of his ears out. If you don't like Buzz Lightyear, you won't like TSM. One could argue that Buzz is actually better because you're not just in front of screens shooting, but overall I liked TSM a bit better. TSM also sprays you with water and shoots compressed air at you if you hit certain targets (like the 3D movies).

If you didn't like RnRC, skip it. When I was young, I used to really dislike roller coasters, except for the ones at Disney. I think it was mostly height-related. I rode the Batman coaster and the Mega Zeph at Six Flags New Orleans over and over again for a couple of summers at the end of high school and beginning of college and got over that. SFNO has been closed since Katrina though (and wasn't a very good park honestly; we stopped renewing our season passes a year or two before Katrina). I still don't like the drop rides that aren't Tower of Terror where you're just sitting in a seat attached to a column that shoots you up and down.

I really like Fantasmic, but the reduced showings have made the crowds ridiculous. The dining package isn't what it used to be either, which is why I wasn't too aggravated when I couldn't get one at Mama Melrose (yes, I called on my 90 day mark). The dining package doesn't have its own entrance anymore and you wait in line with everyone else. I've also heard that they only reserve the seats until 30 minutes before, so they're up for grabs by anyone after that.

I've really enjoyed writing this. It's not very often that I can sit down and just write a story, even if I am long-winded.

I think Pop's a great place to stay. That transporation incident was the only one. I was a little surprised at how many people were waiting for the bus at park closing, and it would take a couple of buses to come before we got on one, but that's expected. The rooms are a little small (the only other WDW resort I've stayed at is Coronado), but the food court and grounds are fairly nice, especially if you like huge icons. One other ugly thing is the bridge to nowhere and the incomplete abandoned buildings on the other side of the lake that was supposed to be the Legendary Years. Next time (whenever that may be) I'm tempted to do another moderate (I doubt we'll be doing deluxe unless there's an insanely good deal); maybe Caribbean Beach or POFQ.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:05 AM   #160
scoot241
Geaux Tigers!

Part 30 - One Last Spin Around Downtown Disney

(Note: SSE at night was the last picture. Because of the rain I left my camera in its bag.

9/12/2009 8:04 AM EDT Up and getting ready. Going to check our bags once ready and head to Downtown Disney for a little while. Need to be at DME by 1:15.

We gathered up what was still out and finished packing our bags. At this point, I think we could start feeling the clock ticking.

9/12/2009 8:45 AM EDT Hailey says her favorite ride is "the big ball".

Once my wife, Hailey and I were packed we went ahead and went to check our bags. The line was much larger than I expected; maybe because it was a Saturday. However, cast members were walking up the line, and when one asked us what airline we were flying (Southwest) he took our bags from us right there and we didn't have to wait until we got to the front of the line.

Next stop: breakfast. My parents and sister are still packing. We headed over to Everything Pop.

9/12/2009 9:23 AM EDT Eating Pop waffles, then heading to DtD. It's a little rainy.

Yep, we're finally getting the rain that we managed to miss all week. I also double-checked our dining plan count.

9/12/2009 9:26 AM EDT Still have 1CS per person and 6 snacks.

That's almost perfect, because we still need lunch for today. We'll have to burn the snack credits on stuff to take home.

My parents finally caught up with us after checking their bags, and they grabbed some breakfast too. A little while later we were on a bus to Downtown Disney.

At Downtown Disney, the first place we headed was the Art of Disney. After agonizing for a while on what I wanted to buy, I chose a Mad Tea Party attraction poster. Now here's something strange. When my wife and I went to Disneyland in 2005, I bought a Space Mountain poster (that still hasn't been framed because it's ridiculously gigantic... what was I thinking?). Disneyland has a similar "art on demand" system; the prints are ready in about an hour. At WDW though, you must have the print shipped home. Grudgingly I accepted, but liked being able to buy it and pick it up better.

Next was the Christmas shop, where we bought a Baby's 1st Christmas and a silver ornament that's tough to describe; it's a bunch of cocentric circles.

We ended up back at Once Upon a Toy next to finish up Hailey's birthday gift card. She wanted Bullseye and Nala plushes. This didn't quite finish the card, so I threw in a Figment too. Meanwhile, my dad and sister went over to the World of Disney, and my mom went to do "something". We eventually got everyone back together at the Earl of Sandwich.

9/12/2009 11:51 AM EDT Spent the rest of our Disney rewards card and birthday fun card and then some. Getting Earl of Sandwich and heading back to Pop.

We took our EoS to go since it's already almost noon. However, the only other bus problem we had the entire trip is about to happen.

9/12/2009 12:20 PM EDT Waiting for Pop bus at Marketplace. Bus that stopped here first was "just dropping off".

That wouldn't have been so bad if another bus had come soon. However, it didn't and it was at least 20 minutes before a Pop bus showed up.

We finally got back to the resort and sat down at the first table we found. I went to get a mug refill and came back to my sandwich still wrapped at my seat. I pick it up and look at the label: it's the club. Wait a minute, I ordered the All-American.

"Who ordered the club?"
While eating, my wife says "I did, why?"
"Well this is your sandwich."
I then look at her sandwich and see the purple cranberry sauce. She's eating my All-American! I showed her the sticker on the side of the unopened sandwich. She didn't realize the stickers said which sandwich was which. So I ended up eating the club, which was still good, but not as good as the All-American I ordered.

I also used our snack credits at Everything Pop on various junk food; mostly Minnie's Bake Shop stuff (which I haven't been all that thrilled with when eating them).

Finally the time came to head over to the DME stop. My parents and sister didn't have to be there until 1:45 because their flight was a little later. Once on the bus I started tweeting furiously.

9/12/2009 1:30 PM EDT On the DME bus back to the airport cleaned out the snack credits at the Pop gift shop. One Little Spark playing on the bus.

9/12/2009 1:32 PM EDT Do have to say that DME is insanely easy. Unless you're planning on going elsewhere there's no need to rent a car.

Here's where the idea for this report originated:
9/12/2009 1:33 PM EDT Full trip report will be coming after getting home. Thinking it's going to be a "Twitter recap" where I expound on the tweets.

9/12/2009 1:35 PM EDT Just passed the WDW entrance. We are officially off-property.

The video on the way back, while one long advertisement for WDW and DVC and DCL was still nice.

9/12/2009 2:11 PM EDT Main st electrical parade playing as we pull up to the terminal. Going to wait to go through security until my parents & sister get here.

9/12/2009 2:11 PM EDT They didn't have to be at DME until 1:45.

During all of this, I was also checking various sources to see what was going on at the D23 Expo. The big news:

9/12/2009 2:22 PM EDT RT @loumongello Jay Rasulo at D23Expo: Fantastlyland in WDW expansion is TRUE!!

Hailey and I were wandering around the airport lobby and the WDW Earport while my wife sat with our carry-ons (she wanted to sit and relax).

9/12/2009 2:32 PM EDT At the airport... http://twitpic.com/hgxn3

My parents eventually showed up, and I went with my mom to the Earport to find a last minute souvenir for my grandmother while my dad went to the Kennedy Space Center shop to find something for his brother.

Finally, we gathered our stuff and headed through security. No problems this time, just a big hassle as security usually is.

9/12/2009 3:44 PM EDT Sitting by the gate waiting to board the plane; flight leaves at 4:25.

Apparently I tweeted about the print; it was bothering me a bit at the time:
9/12/2009 3:51 PM EDT Strange thing: at art of Disney you can order prints "on demand"; at DL they're ready in about an hour but at WDW they must be shipped home.

9/12/2009 3:54 PM EDT Didn't see the refurbed hall of presidents; I would have liked to but interest was lacking in the rest of the family. Maybe next time.

My interest wasn't lacking, but everyone else's was.

Finally, they call for boarding and we say goodbye to my parents. We once again had A boarding passes, so we got nice seats.

9/12/2009 4:18 PM EDT Sitting in the plane at the gate. Switching to airplane mode.

The flight was uneventful, and in an hour and a half or so we were back in Houston

Coming up: Issues on the way home and epilogue (no Ann, I'm not done! *evil laugh*)
Old 10-28-2009, 10:17 AM   #161
disneygirlinnj
DIS Veteran

Awww so sad the TR is coming to an end! Great photos of Illuminations Scott!
Old 10-28-2009, 11:00 AM   #162
scoot241
Geaux Tigers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneygirlinnj View Post
Awww so sad the TR is coming to an end! Great photos of Illuminations Scott!
Thanks! I actually got my setting from the fireworks thread on the Photography Board, which worked well. f/8.0, 1 second, ISO 200. I think in the future I might try ISO 100 and 2 seconds, or keep ISO 200 and go to f/11. Either way, I want to take longer exposures next time. I also want to use a wider lens; I couldn't get any of the high bursts with the 30mm and the way I was set up. If I'm feeling brave I might use bulb mode.

Yep, the TR is almost over. I'm 90% sure the next entry is going to be the last one. I still need to do a table of contents.
Old 10-28-2009, 12:32 PM   #163
annnewjerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoot241 View Post
Yes Ann, we're not quite done yet.

Coming up: Ann glares at me through her monitor as I try to stretch this report out more, and a rainy romp through Downtown Disney

You crack me up. I'm really enjoying your TR---no need to cut it short on my behalf!

Great shots of Illuminations. I haven't decided if I'll try to get shots of the show during our trip in December. As you know, we aren't huge on fireworks, parades, etc. so seeing Wishes may be enough for our group.
Old 10-28-2009, 01:10 PM   #164
scoot241
Geaux Tigers!

Quote:

You crack me up. I'm really enjoying your TR---no need to cut it short on my behalf!

Great shots of Illuminations. I haven't decided if I'll try to get shots of the show during our trip in December. As you know, we aren't huge on fireworks, parades, etc. so seeing Wishes may be enough for our group.
I'm not cutting it short. I just thought I'd get a few zings in after our discussion on your photo trip report.

I have a couple of photos that I went back and decided I could do something with them that I'll post next time. So the next post is probably just what happened when we got back to Houston, a few more random pictures and some closing thoughts, and that'll be the end...

or is it? (I really need some sort of laughing vampire animation to make this complete)
Old 10-28-2009, 01:46 PM   #165
DiningPlanDevastator
I play cards with JD Shellnut, chief of police!

Smile Thanks!

Just went through your entire Trip Report. Great photos!

I recently went to a DLSR (Canon XS?-the ten MP). I really enjoy it and debating whether I want to haul it around when I return to WDW in July...

What kind of carrying case do you take to the parks?

I only have the 'kit' lense. What would you suggest being my next lense purchase? A prime 30mm?

Thanks for your TR - enjoyed it all!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: