Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Planning Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2009, 12:52 PM   #1
Pegasus928
DIS Veteran

Exclamation How To ESTA

As quite a few people have been posting questions relating to ESTA (Electronic System for Travel Authorization) lately - a lot of them worried about what the site is about and what ticks they should put in what box - I thought I would try to give you a rough idea as to what to expect when you go to the site to complete your form.

The link below will take you to where you need to be

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/esta.h...2-37EB66A5B1AD

and the first screen you can expect to see is this one.

If you are filling in your ESTA for the first time you need to click the 'Apply' button on the left hand side.
This will take you to the following screen.

At this point read all the text in the box above then, if you are happy and understand the information provided, select 'Yes' and then click Next.
If you are not happy and need more clarification then select 'No'. This will take you to a page with some FAQs on it for you to find the answers to any questions you may have.
Once you have clicked Yes you will be taken to the following page.

You only need to fill in the information that has a red * next to it.
People have asked in the past about flights and addresses where you will be staying - but as you can see these are not one of the required answers.
Once you have filled in your personal details you are then asked a series of questions that require a Yes or No answer. You obviously need to answer these questions honestly, but if you have been a good girl or boy you should be able to select No to all of them.
Once this is done put a tick in the 'Certification' box and then hit the Next button.
Unfortunately I couldn't get onto the screen after this but, if memory serves me right, the next one is the one that gives the all important Yes or No. There is also a button on this page that allows you to go back to the beginning and start a new form for someone else.

I hope this helps some of you with the process - if only to give you a 'Heads up' as to what to expect.
If I have missed something - or anybody else has anything to add - then please feel free.

Last edited by Pegasus928; 09-14-2009 at 11:42 PM.
Pegasus928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 02:43 PM   #2
wickesy
Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love you tomorrow, you're always a day...closer to our next Disney trip
I will be opening a sack full of cards and fighting off the advances of lots of lovely ladies

Thanks for taking the time to do this Kenny, I vote that the mods make it a 'sticky'.

I currently live in London until I have enough DVC points to stay at Animal Kingdom Villas every day of the year

Sep '92, Apr '07 - Contemporary Resort ~ Apr '08 - Animal Kingdom Lodge ~ Aug '08 - Grand Californian ~ Mar '09 - Saratoga Springs ~ Mar '10 - DLP ~ Jun '10 - Inaugural Baltic Cruise
Trip Reports: WDW April '07 ~ Canada August '07 ~ WDW April '08 ~ SF & Disneyland August '08 ~ WDW March '09 ~ Smokies August '09 ~ DLP March '10 ~ Jun '10 - Inaugural Baltic Cruise
wickesy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-12-2009, 02:53 PM   #3
T16GEM
I must have a funnel cake when I'm in Florida!
Confucious say: Friends don't let friends do AOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickesy View Post
I vote that the mods make it a 'sticky'.
Me too!

Thanks for doing this Kenny! You are a star!
Old 09-12-2009, 03:21 PM   #4
scottishgirl87
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickesy View Post
Thanks for taking the time to do this Kenny, I vote that the mods make it a 'sticky'.
Yes, you really are a star I think this should be a sticky as well, due to the amount of ESTA questions! Tbh, I think the stickies could do with a bit of a refresh to more stuff like this!
[/center]
scottishgirl87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 03:41 PM   #5
howlongtillsummer?
DIS Veteran

How considerate!
Disneyland Paris (Sequoia Lodge) - April 2009
Old Key West August 2010, 2011 & 2012
howlongtillsummer? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 11:45 PM   #6
Pegasus928
DIS Veteran

If it helps to prevent someone making a mistake when filling in their forms, and answers a few questions along the way,then it was worth doing.

The only thing I was a little dissappointed with was the size of the screen shots, but even though I uploaded them to Photobucket several times at different sizes they always appeared in the post the same size regardless
If I can figure out how to get bigger pics in then I will.

Also if someone could come back and maybe post what the next screen is after the last one I have included, then that would be a help.
I tried to follow it all the way through, but unfortunately there is no Mickey Mouse with a passport number to match the one I provided
Old 09-13-2009, 04:24 AM   #7
loobylou44
Mouseketeer

We are just about to do our ESTA's so this is a great help, thanks Kenny.

Disneyland Sept '86 - Offsite, DLRP July '00 - offsite, DLRP Dec '00 - Davy Crockett Ranch, DLRP Sept '01 - Disneyland Hotel, Disneyland Feb '02 - Offsite, Disney World Feb '03 - Springhill Suites LBV, DLRP Jan '04 - Disneyland Hotel, Disney World Feb '06 - Villa at Eagle Pointe, DLRP Jul '09 - Hotel Cheyenne
Planning for:-
Disney World Dec '09 - Villa at Eagle Pointe

loobylou44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 08:46 AM   #8
BPTP
Mouseketeer

Yes well done, Someone please make it a sticky!! We're going on our first trip there next april and I;ve saved the screen to my favourites but a sticky woujld make more sense!
Thanks for taking the trouble
BPTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 11:41 PM   #9
Pegasus928
DIS Veteran

Bump
Old 09-15-2009, 02:51 AM   #10
Latel
Mouseketeer

Flight change

I filled my ESTA in a little while ago. I included my flight number etc but this has since been changed. Do you think I need to do anything or will it be ok to leave it as it is seeing as it is not a required field?
Thanks

Latel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 02:56 AM   #11
Pegasus928
DIS Veteran

I would think it would be OK to leave it as, as you say, it isn't one of the required fields.
Once completed the ESTA lasts for 2 years and multiple trips, and I assume that no-one will travel with the same flight number every time they go.
Alternativley you could try selecting 'Update or Check Status' on the first screen. This may then let you take out the flight number from your existing application.
If you do this please come back on and let us know how it went so we can keep a track of how people are dealing with these little issues
Old 09-15-2009, 02:58 AM   #12
UKDEB
Found the Tag Fairy's hangout
All whacked up on Scooby Snacks

DISboards Moderator

Thanks for taking the time to do this, Kenny. It's definitely worthy of sticky status.

October 1992 ~ Enclave Suites, I-Drive May 1996 ~ Omni Rosen, I-Drive October 1998 ~ Villa-Clear Creek August 2000 ~ Beach Club/Villa-Sunset Lakes July 2001 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge/Hard Rock Hotel/Villa-Formosa Gdns Christmas 2001 ~ Villa-Formosa Gardens October 2002 ~ Hard Rock Hotel/Villa-Formosa Gdns May 2003 ~ Portofino Bay/Villa-Cumbrian Lakes January 2004 ~ Ritz-Carlton Grande Lakes/Villa-Formosa Gardens July 2004 ~ Grand Floridian/Portofino Bay/Villa-Formosa Gardens December 2004 ~ Villa-Rolling Hills/Disney Wonder Cruise/BoardWalk Grand Villa/Contemporary April 2005 ~ Washington DC, Shenandoah, Blue Ridge Parkway, Charleston, Savannah, Royal Pacific Resort/Villa-Acadia Estates January 2006 ~ Reunion Resort/Royal Pacific Resort April 2006 ~ Celebration Hotel/NCL Jewel Cruise/Hotel Victor, Miami/Beach Cottage-Disney's Vero Beach October 2006 ~ Reunion Resort/BoardWalk Villa/Rosen Shingle Creek August 2007 ~ Saratoga Springs//Reunion Grande January 2008 ~ Saratoga Springs/Beach Club Villas/Reunion Resort November 2008 ~ BoardWalk Villas/Royal Pacific Resort/Saratoga Springs March 2011 ~ Celebrity Cruise/Veness Towers, a stone's throw from the Magic Kingdom November 2012 ~ Bay Lake Tower/Ritz-Carlton, Sarasota/Ritz-Carlton Destination Club, Jupiter/Saratoga Springs September 2013 ~ Kidani Village/Saratoga Springs May 2014 ~ Beach Club Villas/Wyndham Grand Bonnet Creek/Bay Lake TowerJanuary 2015 ~ Four Seasons Golden Oak/Bay Lake Tower
UKDEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 06:43 AM   #13
Pegasus928
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKDEB View Post
Thanks for taking the time to do this, Kenny. It's definitely worthy of sticky status.
My pleasure

Hopefully it can be updated regularly by people that come across problems, and figure out ways to fix them, and become useful to everyone
Old 09-15-2009, 04:40 PM   #14
TCO
Disney Geek

Apologies in advance if this is in the wrong place.

My Wife and I to Florida in March this year for our honeymoon and were issued ESTA's, next year we are travelling to New York and Florida, I believe my ESTA application will still stand but my wife has now legally changed her surname and is getting a new passport.

Will we need to reapply for her ESTA?
Old 09-15-2009, 11:42 PM   #15
Pegasus928
DIS Veteran

This taken from the U.S. Customs and Border Protection website.

The way I read it is that you will need a new ESTA.

Question
ESTA won't accept my Post-dated passport. My passport has my old name.
Answer
For citizens of the United Kingdom: If you have applied for a Post-dated passport that will not be valid until after your marriage, you will not be able to apply for ESTA using that passport number until the day of your marriage, when the passport becomes valid. We recommend that you have a friend or relative apply for you if you do not have time between the ceremony and going to the airport. The application process is not complicated and should take no more than 10 minutes.
For travelers from other VWP countries, if you have received approval to come to the U.S., but then change your name as a result of marriage, divorce, or other legal proceeding), you must re-apply for a new ESTA authorization prior to travel. While we usually suggest applying 72 hours before you travel, we understand that this is one of those circumstances that can make it impossible to do so, and our system will accomodate your situation.
If you have a passport under one name, but your name has changed since it was issued, you can apply for ESTA using your old passport number and new name. You may also travel with a ticket issued in your new name and the passport in your old name, but we strongly recommend you bring a copy of your marriage license, divorce decree or other legal document showing the connection between your new name and the one on your passport.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: