Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Plan
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2009, 07:00 AM   #1
Sonnyeclipse
Mouseketeer

Will this work?

I am a new DVC owner and have our first trip scheduled for Jan around marathon weekend.

I am looking to potentially add the dining plan but don't want to add it for everyone in my family.

My DD is 11 and I have two DS (7). My DD is technically and adult but will NEVER eat an adult meal. My two DS are also not big eaters at all.

I was thinking of getting the two adult plans for my wife and I and then 2 child plans. DD could eat off one plan and my two DS could split most of the meals on the other. I figure if my DS are hungry and want their own, that is fine but in the past they have split meals and been fine.

Has anyone tried anything similar where you either split meals with two kids or feed an "adult" from a child's plan?
DIS Dad's Club member #538
My December 2010 Trip report

Need to book a new trip.
Sonnyeclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 07:25 AM   #2
Allison
- Join date March 2004 -

You have to add it for all guests in your party. Disney doesn't let you purchase the plan for just part of the group for people on the same reservation.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-11-2009, 07:29 AM   #3
Withacy
DIS Veteran

It's all or nothing.

Plus, the children's meals at most places are not really big enough for 2 kids. They are definitely children's protions.

But the MAIN reason you could never do this is that a lot of the restaurants are buffet or family style (including most of the character meals, I believe). There's no way you can "split" a buffet.
Sept. 1987 - Off-site; March 1995 - All Star Music; August 1996 - All Star Sports; August 2002 - All Star Movies; January 2003 - All Star Music; January 2004 - Pop Century; January 2006 - Pop Century; January 2008 - All Star Movies; March 2009 - Caribbean Beach Resort; December 2009 - Port Orleans Riverside; December 2010 - Port Orleans French Quarter; October 2011 - Port Orleans French Quarter December 2012 - Port Orleans Riverside
Withacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 07:32 AM   #4
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

You can't do what you are suggesting. You must add the dining plan for all persons registered on the reservation for the full length of the trip. Your 11 year old is an adult for Disney ticketing and dining purposes, and you'll need to buy the adult plan for her. The only possibility you have is to reserve two rooms, put an adult and whatever number of children you want in each room, and get the dining plan for one room but not the other. If you do that, the persons with the plan can't share their dining credits with the persons who don't have the plan - you 'd be able to use dining credits to pay for only the number of meals that you have persons on the plan.
Old 09-11-2009, 07:42 AM   #5
Withacy
DIS Veteran

OP also asked about feeding an adult from a "child's plan". 1. - No, you can't. 2. - Why would you want to?

Have you seen the children's menus? They're not smaller amounts of adult menus. They're very limited. Of course, since the OP is probably talking about their OLDER child, not an actual adult, I guess they might be OK with the same 3 or 4 meals all week (excluding buffets).

In theory I could buy children's meals (I had gastric bypass, and I've read here that WDW will accept the card from the surgeon). But I'd rather pay the full adult price and eat a little of a great, adult menu than eat the same kids meals over and over and over and over....no thanks!
Sept. 1987 - Off-site; March 1995 - All Star Music; August 1996 - All Star Sports; August 2002 - All Star Movies; January 2003 - All Star Music; January 2004 - Pop Century; January 2006 - Pop Century; January 2008 - All Star Movies; March 2009 - Caribbean Beach Resort; December 2009 - Port Orleans Riverside; December 2010 - Port Orleans French Quarter; October 2011 - Port Orleans French Quarter December 2012 - Port Orleans Riverside
Withacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 08:18 AM   #6
Pumbaa_
Hakuna Matata!
My first attempts at gravy required slicing
It probably got lost in the scrolling

DISboards Moderator

the dining plan credits are added to your kttw card. If you attempt to leave your DD off the DDP, you would also have to leave her off the room reservation completely, which also means no access to EMH for her or to the pool, depending on your dvc room.

IN theory it sounds like a good plan, but in reality, it just doesn't work. It is hard when the child hits the adult plan age, but will not get the value out of the plan.

Good luck with your decision on getting DDP or not
Old 09-11-2009, 08:21 AM   #7
Sonnyeclipse
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Withacy View Post
OP also asked about feeding an adult from a "child's plan". 1. - No, you can't. 2. - Why would you want to?

Have you seen the children's menus? They're not smaller amounts of adult menus. They're very limited. Of course, since the OP is probably talking about their OLDER child, not an actual adult, I guess they might be OK with the same 3 or 4 meals all week (excluding buffets).

In theory I could buy children's meals (I had gastric bypass, and I've read here that WDW will accept the card from the surgeon). But I'd rather pay the full adult price and eat a little of a great, adult menu than eat the same kids meals over and over and over and over....no thanks!
I was referring to the 11 year old eating the child's meals. She typically is still wanting to order off the child's menu.

My two boys very rarely finish a child's portion of a meal. They are just not big eaters at all and we end up wasting a lot of food when we are on the dining plan.

I guess I will scrap that idea. Thanks for the feeback everyone.
DIS Dad's Club member #538
My December 2010 Trip report

Need to book a new trip.
Sonnyeclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 09:04 AM   #8
MouseMomx2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnyeclipse View Post
I was referring to the 11 year old eating the child's meals. She typically is still wanting to order off the child's menu.

My two boys very rarely finish a child's portion of a meal. They are just not big eaters at all and we end up wasting a lot of food when we are on the dining plan.

I guess I will scrap that idea. Thanks for the feeback everyone.
Your DD11 would be able to order off of the children's menu, but you would still have to pay the adult DDP cost for her, since she is 11.

As others have said, you have to purchase the dining plan for everyone in your party for the full number of nights of your reservation. Disney insists on this so that people don't share credits without paying for the plan.

My advice would be to buy the plan for all of you. Your credits will be pooled and you will be able to use them as you wish. Your kids would be able to share meals (using only the number of credits for the meals you order) and you could use the extra credits for a third meal on some days or for Signature dining experiences that cost 2 credits per person.
MouseMomx2 is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: