Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2009, 06:31 PM   #1
fey_spirit
DIS Veteran

Formal Night and Fairy Wings

I have a beautiful set of fairy wings that perfectly matches my dress for formal night - I really want to wear them on the cruise. Do you think this would be ok?
fey_spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 06:39 PM   #2
breakingd_awn
DIS Veteran

Are you one of the Victoria's Secret models just joking , I really don't know how that would go over on dress up night... maybe pirate night. I don't know I gues I'd have to see them. Are they really blinged up?
2011 "DREAMin" for 5 days
2010 Our first "WONDERful" cruise
Shipmates:MeDH
DD(18)DD(16)
DD(11)DD(5)

breakingd_awn is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-10-2009, 06:43 PM   #3
karibritt01
The primary problem with America is stupidity. Maybe we should just take all the warning labels off and let the problem solve itself.

If you are comfortable with it, then go for it! The way I see it is you don't know these people, and will never see them again in your life... so who cares if they think you are nuts for wearing fairy wings on formal night. No one (that matters) will tell you that you can't wear them. We had plenty of people on our western that were barely cruise casual on formal night, so it isn't like the dress codes are strictly adhered to.
Old 09-10-2009, 06:43 PM   #4
stsomewhere
DIS Veteran

Go ahead and wear them. No one has to like them but you. I think you would be fine in any restraunt except for Palo.

Will they be uncomfortable in the dining chairs? Will they block the servers aisle?

Will it make YOUR cruise experience more magical?
stsomewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 06:56 PM   #5
pearlieq
They can sit & spin
Imagine my shock when my cat slipped me the tongue
I've never been all that worried about getting cooties
I don't need chewy chunks

Well, I don't think they'll ask you to take them off unless they're wide enough to get in people's way or pointy enough to be a safety hazard.

Yes, you're going to look weird and will probably get some strange looks. If you don't care, then it really doesn't matter.

Also, I wonder how comfortable they'll be smushed into a theater seat and resting against your chair back at the restaurant. But if they're easy to slip on and off it really doesn't matter.
Your underpants!
~TSA 2010
pearlieq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 07:07 PM   #6
calmpets
DIS Veteran

I'm kind of surprised the responses so far have been on the negative side. I've seen adults dressed up as characters on formal nights - wings would be a more subtle version of tinkerbell. The only attire I ever saw that was generally thought to be wildly inappropriate (even the crew members at guest services couldn't believe it) was the notably pregnant woman dressed as Snow White. Horrifying! If I found wings that worked with my dress, I can tell you I'd wear them for sure!
Old 09-10-2009, 07:19 PM   #7
fey_spirit
DIS Veteran

Don't I wish - wish I had the figure, wish I had the money...
They're actually very subtle - well as far as wings go. Mostly black, with a few swirls of indigo, and some silver veins shot through.

Not much bigger then the width of my back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakingd_awn View Post
Are you one of the Victoria's Secret models just joking , I really don't know how that would go over on dress up night... maybe pirate night. I don't know I gues I'd have to see them. Are they really blinged up?
Old 09-10-2009, 07:21 PM   #8
fey_spirit
DIS Veteran

Yeah, I think they would make that night a little more magical... I like feeling like a fairy princess, and how often do adults really get the chance to feel that way?

They're about the width of my back so blocking the servers aisle shouldn't be a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stsomewhere View Post
Go ahead and wear them. No one has to like them but you. I think you would be fine in any restraunt except for Palo.

Will they be uncomfortable in the dining chairs? Will they block the servers aisle?

Will it make YOUR cruise experience more magical?
Old 09-10-2009, 07:22 PM   #9
fey_spirit
DIS Veteran

They slide off and on really easily - so that shouldn't be an issue, and I wore them for my last Halloween party, I could sit on my couch easily so dining chairs shouldn't be a problem... I don't think I would have trouble with them in my local theater - but I don't know what the theater chairs on the the Magic are like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearlieq View Post
Well, I don't think they'll ask you to take them off unless they're wide enough to get in people's way or pointy enough to be a safety hazard.

Yes, you're going to look weird and will probably get some strange looks. If you don't care, then it really doesn't matter.

Also, I wonder how comfortable they'll be smushed into a theater seat and resting against your chair back at the restaurant. But if they're easy to slip on and off it really doesn't matter.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:24 PM   #10
tjbaggott
DIS Veteran

I agree some of the previous posters that said if YOU want to wear them, then you wear them! If it is something magical to you, then go for it. If you are thinking at all you might be socially uncomfortable, then maybe just wear them for the formal photo. Your own comfort is the only thing that matters, not what others think. So go for it!
Old 09-10-2009, 07:24 PM   #11
fey_spirit
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the vote of confidance
To tell you the truth it took me a moment to figure out why the pregnant Snow White would be a problem... but I guess it would indicate a condition that was less then "Snow White".

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmpets View Post
I'm kind of surprised the responses so far have been on the negative side. I've seen adults dressed up as characters on formal nights - wings would be a more subtle version of tinkerbell. The only attire I ever saw that was generally thought to be wildly inappropriate (even the crew members at guest services couldn't believe it) was the notably pregnant woman dressed as Snow White. Horrifying! If I found wings that worked with my dress, I can tell you I'd wear them for sure!
Old 09-10-2009, 07:26 PM   #12
fey_spirit
DIS Veteran

Thank you for reminding me of my favorite quote that I have problems remembering "What others think of me is none of my business."

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjbaggott View Post
I agree some of the previous posters that said if YOU want to wear them, then you wear them! If it is something magical to you, then go for it. If you are thinking at all you might be socially uncomfortable, then maybe just wear them for the formal photo. Your own comfort is the only thing that matters, not what others think. So go for it!
Old 09-10-2009, 07:26 PM   #13
karibritt01
The primary problem with America is stupidity. Maybe we should just take all the warning labels off and let the problem solve itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fey_spirit View Post
Yeah, I think they would make that night a little more magical... I like feeling like a fairy princess, and how often do adults really get the chance to feel that way?
I think you just answered your own question. Wear the wings, enjoy your night, and to heck with everyone else! Have fun on your cruise!
Old 09-10-2009, 07:28 PM   #14
KSFrogge
DIS Veteran

Ooooh! I want wings!! How cool.. I think you should definitely wear them.

DH DS DD DS
10/2005 RCCL Explorer of the Seas - 7 night Eastern
10/2009 Disney Magic - 7 night Eastern
6/2011 Disney Dream - 5 night Double Dip
KSFrogge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 07:57 PM   #15
calmpets
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fey_spirit View Post
Thanks for the vote of confidance
To tell you the truth it took me a moment to figure out why the pregnant Snow White would be a problem... but I guess it would indicate a condition that was less then "Snow White".
I actually overheard one kid asking their parents about it: "Mommy, when did Snow White get pregnant?" They must have just had to explain that it was a regular person dressed up, and not the "real" Snow White, but still - awkward!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: