Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 10:33 PM   #76
SWDisney
Earning My Ears

IPO Contact

We are going to GF 10/02-10/10. I have booked some ADRs myself and then had a couple booked by the IPO. Is it usual to have contact from the same CM once you have started corresponding with them or do you just communicate with whoever happens to pick up the email or voice mail?

Also, does anyone have any recommendations on which rooms to request at GF? We are staying in SL (although I keep wondering if we should do RPC instead ) Travelers include DH, DD9, DS8 and me.

Also, anyone back from a recent stay at GF? Any construction information?

Thanks.
Old 09-14-2009, 10:54 PM   #77
Jenjulia
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmears View Post
Jenjulia -- I'm so glad that you were able to get what they wanted. I was very pleased with the Poly IPO office and the work they did for our April vacation. Glad that you're getting that level of service as well!
Thank you! I actually called them this morning to thank them. The lady who answered said the last couple of weeks has been hard for them to get reservations and she was glad we were happy. I feel like I should send them candy or something fun.

I hope that the other people who were waiting were able to get the ADR's they wanted this morning! Let us know if you did.

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-14-2009, 11:11 PM   #78
mmmears
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWDisney View Post
We are going to GF 10/02-10/10. I have booked some ADRs myself and then had a couple booked by the IPO. Is it usual to have contact from the same CM once you have started corresponding with them or do you just communicate with whoever happens to pick up the email or voice mail?

Also, does anyone have any recommendations on which rooms to request at GF? We are staying in SL (although I keep wondering if we should do RPC instead ) Travelers include DH, DD9, DS8 and me.

Also, anyone back from a recent stay at GF? Any construction information?

Thanks.
It is unusual (but I think it would be nice) to only deal with one CM in the IPO office. I have found that by the time our trip arrives I've spoken or emailed them all. When I have replied to one CM's email, often another CM will respond to me. They work that way, and it works well, but I like consistency in things personally.

When staying SL, you basically have a choice of a marina or a garden view. If you have a preference, just request it to the IPO office.

We've stayed both SL and RPC, and I've honestly liked them both. There are plusses and minuses to each one (SL is closer to the boat to the MK, the pool, and costs less $$$ // RPC has the lobby ambiance, is close to the monorail, and sometimes if you get lucky you can get a castle view)...

I hope you have a great trip!

* Disneyland * Walt Disney World * Disneyland Paris ** Disney Wonder Bahamas * Disney Wonder Alaska *
*Grand Floridian Resort* Animal Kingdom Lodge * Polynesian Resort * Yacht Club * Beach Club * Disneyland Hotel * Grand Californian Resort *
Old 09-15-2009, 12:11 AM   #79
Tinkerbellie16
Certified Disneyaholic

Mentioning good CMs, does anyone know if you can or should (or should not?) tip a concierge lounge cast member or someone from IPO?

6/14 YC 10/13 Poly 5/13 Poly & BC 10/12 Poly 7/12 CSR/BWV 5/12 CBR 3/12 DL 10/11 Poly 5/11 VWL 9/10 Poly 3/10 Dolphin 4/09 Poly 4/08 BC 5/07 Poly/Cruise/ASMo 7/06 AKL 7/00 POR 7/98 DisIns 3/98 Off 7/96 POR +
Old 09-15-2009, 01:07 AM   #80
tallgalaz1
Mouseketeer

Thank you for sharing. That is a great help to me.
Old 09-15-2009, 05:51 AM   #81
RachelTori
AKL Jambo Wildbunch

Sees little green people
Wants to dine with Kansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbellie16 View Post
Mentioning good CMs, does anyone know if you can or should (or should not?) tip a concierge lounge cast member or someone from IPO?
This information is in Post #1 (from a source who knows what he's talking about! )

Tipping Guideline: Thank you to TheRustyScupper, for the following information (9/22/08)

"1) Concierge (and Front Desk) CM's can be fired for taking cash tips.
2) They are supposed to refuse up to three times.
. . . if you ask a fourth time, they take it
. . . but, they must immediately turn it over to a manager
3) The tip goes into a fund, and the manager buys donuts or coffee for all.
4) If they do not turn in the cash, it can be immediate termination.

NOTE: They can accept gifts of up to $75 value (like candy, doll, etc)."

Guests often bring something for the CMs to share, both IPO and Lounge CMs. Maybe something unique to the area of the country you're from. HTHs!

Old 09-15-2009, 05:12 PM   #82
dooledoo
Mouseketeer

Polynesian Food Offerings

I am at the Polynesian CL at the moment and have been for the last week.

I have yet to see a piece of pineapple since I have been here, so don't take the food offerings as absolute, it seems they can and do differ!

I haven't been impressed with the CL yet, the paint work is looking chipped and tired and I overheard a member of the staff in the dining area moaning about having to clear up after people. On our first day I had to rinse the tiles around the bath as someone else's hair was stuck to it! I mentioned it to a member of staff and they apologised but that was it. For the money I have paid I certainly dont't feel I have received the "wow" factor.
Disneyland Paris Xmas 2007
Disneyland Paris Xmas 2008
CBR, Beach Club, AKL & Polynesian Aug-Sept 2009 Western Caribbean Cruise Aug 2009
Royal Pacific Resort, Eastern Caribbean Cruise and Beach Club Aug 2012
12 Night Mediterranean cruise on Magic July 2014
Old 09-15-2009, 05:24 PM   #83
Tess
DIS Vet - 1997
Still thinking happy little thoughts. . .
The Tag Fairy sees and loves Tess too!

Thanks. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by dooledoo View Post

I have yet to see a piece of pineapple since I have been here, so don't take the food offerings as absolute, it seems they can and do differ!

I haven't been impressed with the CL yet, the paint work is looking chipped and tired and I overheard a member of the staff in the dining area moaning about having to clear up after people. On our first day I had to rinse the tiles around the bath as someone else's hair was stuck to it! I mentioned it to a member of staff and they apologised but that was it. For the money I have paid I certainly dont't feel I have received the "wow" factor.
I appreciate the confirmation on the lack of pineapple in the lounge. Someone reported that a month or more ago and it was a disappointment for a good many people. The pineapple and caramel sauce were there in May, so it must have been removed at another time.

The Polynesian is definitely not everyone's cup of tea. Sorry you are finding it lacking.
Old 09-15-2009, 06:41 PM   #84
mmmears
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dooledoo View Post

I'm sorry you're not enjoying your stay at the Poly. Maybe another resort or a non-CL room would be better for you...

As for cleaning up after people, the CMs certainly shouldn't be complaining about it, but guests in the lounge should really be cleaning up after themselves. People used to do this, but lately I have noticed guests leaving big messes on the tables for other people to clean up.

We had pineapple there in April, but I heard it's been taken away since then...

* Disneyland * Walt Disney World * Disneyland Paris ** Disney Wonder Bahamas * Disney Wonder Alaska *
*Grand Floridian Resort* Animal Kingdom Lodge * Polynesian Resort * Yacht Club * Beach Club * Disneyland Hotel * Grand Californian Resort *
Old 09-17-2009, 03:07 PM   #85
MissLiz
DIS Veteran

This is a fantastic thread and it has answered a lot of my questions! Thanks so much!

I do have a couple (probably silly) questions that I'm hoping all you experts can help out with.

I am trying to convince DH to upgrade to concierge/club level at AKL on our trip next May, so I am trying to get all the ammo I can. He wants savannah view, so it's not like it's a huge step up in $$$.

Anyway, questions (specifically AKL):

Are the room locations all really close to the lobby? I know they are 4th floor, but I'm a little worried of the view. I don't want to have the viewing rocks in the way of our savannah view. I really like Uzima savannah. Are any of the rooms on that savannah?

We will be traveling with DD7 and my other DD will be 13 months. Is it possible for DH to go to the lounge and get snacks/drinks and bring them back to the room if I am getting the girls ready to go or for bed? Does that include any drinks?

Have any of you used the dining plan while staying club level? DH likes the idea of having everything paid for before hand, but it's not like he's got to fork over the cash each time we eat. We'd still just give our card to the server and have the total charged to our account and pay at the end of the stay. In terms of price, I'd rather not spend the $700 on the dining plan if we are only going to eat $600 worth of meals while we are there.

This one is for me:

Finally, for those of you who have a hard time giving up control of your ADRs, how do you do it? I'm afraid that I'll get my ADRs and they'll be different from what I want and I'll kick myself that I "could have done better". We will want to what I think of as the basics: Akershus breakfast, Ohana dinner, Boma dinner and then some that are basic to us, but we really have never had a hard time getting into.

Thank you so much for any info! I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I can talk DH into it!!!
Old 09-17-2009, 03:13 PM   #86
ead79
Disney Bride!
Wants the perfect pancake pan
Really likes a lot of NSYNC's songs
I hope my new job isn't like the movie "Office Space"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLiz View Post
This is a fantastic thread and it has answered a lot of my questions! Thanks so much!

I do have a couple (probably silly) questions that I'm hoping all you experts can help out with.

I am trying to convince DH to upgrade to concierge/club level at AKL on our trip next May, so I am trying to get all the ammo I can. He wants savannah view, so it's not like it's a huge step up in $$$.

Are the room locations all really close to the lobby? I know they are 4th floor, but I'm a little worried of the view. I don't want to have the viewing rocks in the way of our savannah view. I really like Uzima savannah. Are any of the rooms on that savannah?

We will be traveling with DD7 and my other DD will be 13 months. Is it possible for DH to go to the lounge and get snacks/drinks and bring them back to the room if I am getting the girls ready to go or for bed? Does that include any drinks?

Have any of you used the dining plan while staying club level? DH likes the idea of having everything paid for before hand, but it's not like he's got to fork over the cash each time we eat. We'd still just give our card to the server and have the total charged to our account and pay at the end of the stay. In terms of price, I'd rather not spend the $700 on the dining plan if we are only going to eat $600 worth of meals while we are there.

This one is for me:

Finally, for those of you who have a hard time giving up control of your ADRs, how do you do it? I'm afraid that I'll get my ADRs and they'll be different from what I want and I'll kick myself that I "could have done better". We will want to what I think of as the basics: Akershus breakfast, Ohana dinner, Boma dinner and then some that are basic to us, but we really have never had a hard time getting into.

Thank you so much for any info! I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I can talk DH into it!!!
Let me see which ones I can help you out with...

First of all, AKL's concierge is great. I think y'all would have a great time there!

The rooms aren't all super close to the lobby. If you look at the U-shaped layout of the resort, some rooms would be much closer than others. We once had a 4th floor room above the Arusha savannah, and the rocks weren't in the way at all. It's actually up higher than it seems.

Your DH is welcome to bring food back to your room. Most people do that, so don't hesitate. He can also bring back drinks too.

I've never used the dining plan at all, as we do better using our Tables in Wonderland discount card that we bought (we are AP holders). I understand him liking the budget convenience, but with CL you might come out ahead without the dining plan.

I hope that helps!
Old 09-17-2009, 03:20 PM   #87
MissLiz
DIS Veteran

That helps a ton, thanks!!

Seeing you are an AP holder...I'm also trying to talk him into that, but I think I have a better chance with CL.

We are from Marietta, too, by the way!
Old 09-17-2009, 03:26 PM   #88
CR Resort Fan 4 Life
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmears View Post
As for cleaning up after people, the CMs certainly shouldn't be complaining about it, but guests in the lounge should really be cleaning up after themselves. People used to do this, but lately I have noticed guests leaving big messes on the tables for other people to clean up.
During my families previous Club Level stays at the Contemporary we have also noticed some families up there don't clean up after themselves while in the lounge, only to have the Cast Members clean up their mess. Sometimes they can leave a lot of items on their tables and I think to myself they can not walk a few feet to place them on the table with the other items for that need to be cleaned. Now whenever my family and I have been in the lounge we always make sure to clean up after ourselves, so it's one less table for the Cast Members to clean up.
Old 09-17-2009, 04:22 PM   #89
nascargirl
DIS Veteran

We see this a lot at the BWI CL as well. They have a small round table where guests can lay their dishes, silverware, cups, glasses, etc. There is a garbage can right near the coffee for napkins, and paper cups. We too also clean up afer ourselves.
Old 09-17-2009, 06:02 PM   #90
rcraw45425
I'm a 43 year old mom with a scar on my navel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLiz View Post

This one is for me:

Hey there! We did the DDP with CL at YC last January, we had booked water view regular room and were upgraded at check in. We found that the food offerings in the CL are more like finger foods, meant to supplement. WE personally did not care for the DDP, in our opinion you felat a little forced to eat big even if you'd rather share an entree. Our girls are now 12 & 14 so they are concidered adults by Disney but still want to share entrees, which works better for us.

As for "giving up control of your ADRS", you don't have to let the IPOI make your ressies. In our case this time , I'll just say that the IPO at BC has been less than helpful and leave it at that. Not a bit of extra effort, I have actually tweaked all of mine myself since they cannot even be bothered to return emails, send out itineraries after they book your ADRs, or return phone calls. I have all of the ADRs I wanted now, but had to do the calling myself. When we stayed CL at the YC that time, the CMs there didn't seem to put themselves out then either. I'm glad taht the AKL ones seem better, I actually booked an extra night there this trip just to check it out.
offsite '71,'86,'95,'04,Swan'98,CR'98,GF'99,CR'01,CR'03,WL '04,Polynesian'04,YC'05,GF'05,POFQ'05,CR'05,YC'06, PBH'06,CR'07,AS Sports,YC CL1/08,GF11/08, HRH 07/09, WL CL 11/09, PBH 1/10, CR Tower Club 1 bedroom suite 5/10,Royal Pacific Resort Club 12/10, BWI,Disney Dream 4/11,CSR/Grand Floridian 12/11,CR tower 10/12, AKL 1/13, Polynesian 6/13,Polynesian 10/13, PBH CL 11/13, BC 3/14 (2 BR suite), Hard Rock Hotel for Diagon Alley Opening Day (7/14)
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: