Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2006, 01:17 AM   #1
WDWINJUNE!
Married My Prince Charming at Sunset Pointe

Epilepsy at Disney World

Hi everyone,

My DH2B and I are getting married at Disney World in 40 short days

He has epilepsy and is taking medication for seizures. The one thing that seems to trigger his seizures the most are flashing lights. This will be his first trip to Disney World. I guess now I'm just getting worried because I want him to have a great time! Please tell me that we won't have to avoid everything and that he will have a great time...I just want him to be happy

Any suggestions from others in this situation would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Laura

me dh dd(16) ds(5) ds(3)
Previous Trips:DL Hotel 8/11 DL Feb 09 Apr 08 Pop CenturyDW POR & GF Aug 07 12/06 DLHotel 4/06 Disney Wedding & Honeymoon AKL GF WL 7/04 DLHotel 2/03 DL PPHotel my birthday trip 6/02 ASMusic DD birthday
WDWINJUNE! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 01:28 AM   #2
Sandcass
I turn 35 soon, and all I want for my Birthday is a really good tag!!!!!

I don't really have any input, but I wanted to wish you the best of luck on your wedding & your marriage! CONGRATS !
Sandcass is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-20-2006, 02:26 AM   #3
fd4505s_honey
Earning My Ears

I had epilepsy when I was younger and was on medication for it. I went to Disney World and rode all of the rides and did not have a problem. If you are concerned, I would talk with your FH's doctor and see if they think anything would be a problem.

Good Luck and BEst Wishes
fd4505s_honey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 03:02 AM   #4
WDWINJUNE!

Thank you both for the congrats and best wishes

me dh dd(16) ds(5) ds(3)
Previous Trips:DL Hotel 8/11 DL Feb 09 Apr 08 Pop CenturyDW POR & GF Aug 07 12/06 DLHotel 4/06 Disney Wedding & Honeymoon AKL GF WL 7/04 DLHotel 2/03 DL PPHotel my birthday trip 6/02 ASMusic DD birthday
Old 02-20-2006, 04:35 AM   #5
binkyboots
Evil Pastry

hey there, my dh has photosensitive epilepsy also, we found many rides had strobing but no warnings, we carried a sweater or bandana to cover his eyes.

ones that stick out in my mind are voyage of the little mermaid and festival of the lion king.

he enjoyed them, but had to duck sometimes... I think, dont worry, carry something to cover his eyes and ask cast members about flashing lights before riding.

hope you guys have a blast

okw in 2010! me dh granny dn (12) and dd (2 when we go!)
binkyboots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 08:20 AM   #6
SueOKW
Go Tribe!!!

All the best wishes!

I hope you have a wonderful wedding and trip! I was also thinking about the tunnel in buzz lightyear... I'm not sure though. Our DS has epilepsy, not photosensitive, but it's enough to make me pay attention to flashing lights. I agree with Mermaid, I think that's one I always worry about.
These are Your Verandah Rights: You have the right to sit on your verandah. You have the right to have a beverage served to you on your verandah. If you do not choose your beverage, one will be chosen for you.
SueOKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 08:31 AM   #7
Schmeck
Funny thing is now my 17 year old naps almost every day and so do I!

The Figment ride also has some flashing lights, doesn't it? And Dinosaur as well? How about the guests using flash photography during rides, would that cause a seizure too?

Strobe effects/flashing lights trigger migraines for me, but luckily, this has only happened once at WDW - on Astro Orbiters of all places!
Aug '05 - BC Aug '04 - PC, AKL
Oct '02 - AKL, POR May '99 - CBR
May '96 - CBR Dec '80 - offsite
Schmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 08:49 AM   #8
michelle9343
DIS Veteran

First I want to say congrats!!I agree with brining someting to cover his eyes . Ellens enery adventures also has flashing lights. They happen when up exit the dino area.Also at the begimming of Famtasmic. They are the strongest strobe lights.
Have a great time.
Disney Dream Aug 24th 2012
michelle9343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 09:02 AM   #9
nliedel
Mom to the one and only Goat Rodeo! Yippee Ki Yi Yea!

Space Mountain!
Hernie-Roo 2
JJ our baby, now 1!

A plus size 41 Year old Mother of Four, with no athletic ability becomes a triathlete. blog.liedel.org

"I refuse to be boring"
nliedel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 09:14 AM   #10
joanchris
DIS Veteran

Another one is buzz, also, check this out:

http://www.allearsnet.com/pl/epi.htm
2008 May--Flower and Garden Festival, (offsite)
2005 Oct--Food and Wine Festival, Contemporary
1992 Carribean Beach Resort
1972 or 1973(?) Contemporary

Wishgirl's WISHtrip report
joanchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 10:28 AM   #11
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

WDW used to list information about flashing lights in their Guidebooks for Guest with Disbabilities for each park. They don't have that information listed any more, but as was already noted by another poster, you can ask the CM at the ride entrance whether the attraction has any.
I know in the last 2 years, they added signs outside atractions that talk about boarding for people with wheelchairs (like whether or not you need to transfer) and note warnings for that attraction. I believe flashing lights were among the warnings on the signs. The next time we go, I'll have to check.
We used to have some threads on the board that listed the attractions with flashing lights, but I went back almost 4 years looking and the ones that DO talk about a list, link back to even older threads that are no longer on the server. So, unless I can find where I saved some of those things before the server switched, we need to come up with a new list.

For most people who sensitive to lights, it is not the lights themselves or exactly the flashing that cause the problem. It's either strobe lights (which have a very bright, regular piercing flashing) or rhythmic flashing of lights in the dark that cause a problem. There are actually certain frequencies of light flashing that tend to cause seizures more than others. Some people are very sensitive to flashing lights (I have heard of people where jsut driving in an area where you repeatedly go from shade to light triggers a seizure). Some are not that sensitive and it takes flashing light of a specific frequency, plus sleep deprivation, plus the lights being right in front of them. More information about exactly what light conditions trigger your fiance's seizures might help.
What I have noticed about attractions with flashing lights at WDW, is that they don't use traditional strobe lights and they seem to take pains to make sure the flashing is not rhythmic.

The other factor is threshold - how easy it is to start a seizure. Someone with a high threshold might have infrequent seizures or it takes a lot to trigger seizures. Someone with a low threshold might have frequent seizures or it takes very little to trigger one. Some things that might lower the threshold include:
- lack of sleep or being overtired.
- change in the schedule of medication
- dehydration
- for women, fluctuating hormone levels
- having a seizure lowers the threshold needed to have more

My DD has a pretty low seizure threshold. One of the biggest things that seems to make a difference for her is dehydration - and it's very easy to get dehydrated in WDW with the heat and sweating.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 11:20 AM   #12
SueOKW
Go Tribe!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueM in MN
What I have noticed about attractions with flashing lights at WDW, is that they don't use traditional strobe lights and they seem to take pains to make sure the flashing is not rhythmic.

dehydration - and it's very easy to get dehydrated in WDW with the heat and sweating.
Absolutely agree!!
These are Your Verandah Rights: You have the right to sit on your verandah. You have the right to have a beverage served to you on your verandah. If you do not choose your beverage, one will be chosen for you.
SueOKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 07:46 PM   #13
BeccaGrace
Reads Disney Menus When She's Sad

Congrats on your upcoming wedding! My husband has seizures and we had a wonderful trip with only one partial ( & it was while we were in the room napping). I agree with what everyone else mentioned--especially the preventative stuff like staying hydrated and getting enough sleep (even if it means napping during the day).
Enjoy your wedding & honeymoon!

Upcoming Trips:
Moving to Orlando in Summer 2012!
BeccaGrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 08:10 AM   #14
3DisneyNUTS
can't think of anything witty!
Actually ate an entire turkey leg!

Ds isn't photosensative but has had plenty of seizures at WDW. SO I would definitely speak to a CM prior to riding. Also be aware that most rides have the pictures on it where a big flash happens at a "scary" moment. Maybe ask if they could not take a picture of your boat, car etc.

Our trips together since 1996 Dixie Landings.... Carribean Beach....Coronado Springs....Son's first trip.....Pop Century TWICE!...Purchased DVC....Disney Cruise Wonder...Saratoga Springs...Hilton Head...Saratoga Springs February 2005!...Sept 2005 Disney Wonder with Boardwalk Villas
UNIVERSAL May 2006 Stayed @ SSR baby!
1st trip to Disneyland Sept 2006 Grand Californian ...Universal August 2007 stayed at OKW .......Stayed at AKV Jambo House May 2009 baby Jason's first trip!
3DisneyNUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 02:04 PM   #15
WDWINJUNE!

I wanted to thank all of you for the advice and well wishes I will definitely make sure that he stays hydrated and well rested. And bringing something to cover his eyes is a great tip. I'm planning on having a very slow paced and relaxing vacation...it is our honeymoon afterall

Thanks again! Only 34 more days until we leave

Laura

me dh dd(16) ds(5) ds(3)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: