Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2009, 02:49 PM   #1
Momof2Disneyboys
DIS Veteran

A Pre Thanksgiving/Christmas Vacation, Our First Split Stay & Our 5th Trip to Disney!

Hello! Welcome to my very first Pre-Trip Report!

I have done a few Trip Reports and a few Dining Reports, but never a PTR. So I hope I have enough to talk about for the next couple of months!

Since the kids went back to school today I figured now would be a good time to start the PTR and it would also help the time pass until November!

Some background: My name is Shelly and this will be my family's 5th trip to Disney! I am a mom of 2 wonderful little boys who are growing up way too fast. I am currently a stay-at-home mom. I haven't worked outside the home in almost 4 years, but have recently been considering going back part-time due to the kids getting older and DH's work starting to slow down (like many are experiencing right now). But finding something that allows me to be here when the kids get home, still uphold all of my volunteer work at the school, and not interfere with my Disney planning is proving quite hard! We took our very first Disney trip in 2005 and were hooked and went again in 2007, 2008, 2009 and are making our next trip in just under 2 months! We are trying to squeeze in as many trips as possible while the kids are still young and still love it! Hopefully they won't think they are too cool for Disney anytime soon.

At first DH wasn't really on-board with the whole Disney thing, but now I think he loves it nearly as much as I do! Although he'd never admit to it! DH normally works a lot of hours - usually 65+ hours a week, but recently his hours have been cut back drastically. So while it is nice to have him home more, it sure is rough on the budget! He works for a large company and does quality assurance inspections on all jobs before they leave the plant. He is also a wonderful father & husband and enjoys coaching DS's soccer team.

Our boys are 10 and almost 8. DS10 is very energetic and smart and has overcome some obstacles to get to where he is. When he started school he was behind the other kids academically and had a really rough time. He ended up being diagnosed with an attention deficit disorder. And through a lot of hard work and being blessed with such a wonderful school & teachers he has really come a long way and now gets all A's & B's and is even in some advanced classes. He loves all things Disney and especially loves Star Wars. He has been playing soccer since he was 5 and has even made the travel team this year! DS7 is our baby! Things have always came a little easier for him. He doesn't have to work quite as hard at school and soccer to be good at them. Although he did start to fall behind a bit in reading last year, but the doctors soon figured out he has Ambliopia - impaired vision in his right eye that can not be corrected with glasses. So that is something we are contending with for him. The school again has been wonderful and makes adjustments on his tests - usually just larger print. And he is right on target now with his reading. He loves Disney, Star Wars, and soccer too!

Okay, hope that wasn't TMI! Just wanted to let you know all about our family and that school & fall soccer just started and you will hear me talk about those things a lot!

Here are the boys this morning before they got on the school bus.

Now back to Disney!

We will be arriving at Disney on Saturday November 7th and departing on Sunday November 15th. This will be our longest trip yet and we are very excited!!

Up Next: Where are we staying? Okay, you probably took a peek at my signature and figured that one out already! So I will explain our decisions and how we came to be trying our first ever split stay!

Last edited by Momof2Disneyboys; 09-09-2009 at 10:45 AM. Reason: changing title
Old 09-08-2009, 04:58 PM   #2
Momof2Disneyboys
DIS Veteran

So how did we come to our decision to do a split stay??? After all, it is something we said we would never do with kids.

Well on our first trip we stayed at CBR and absolutely loved it! That was way back in October 2005.

On our second trip we stayed at POFQ and thought it was nice, but really missed the spacious grounds of CBR. That was in May 2007.

On our third trip we stayed at CSR and didn't really have the best experience there. That was in May 2008.

So although we love trying new resorts, on trip number four we opted to go back to CBR instead of risking it! Plus CBR had all new rooms and brand new pools, so it was sort of like a new place to us! This was our most recent trip in January 2009.

Trip number five was planned for January 2010. But then Disney apparently decided to make up for all the years they never sent me any PINs and sent me about 3-4 this year! We passed up the June Pin. We passed up the August Pin. When the Pin for free dining came and it was good for dates in Oct, Nov, and Dec, I started thinking! November was on our list of months we have always wanted to try, so I started planning!

After our fourth trip we decided that we were going to bite the bullet and go for a Deluxe next time! So I was torn between the Poly and the BC. And if we ended up going with one of the less expensive deluxes it would probably be either OKW or the WL. But then with DH's hours being cut back at work we ended up deciding that wouldn't be the smartest thing to do financially.

So wanting to try every moderate it was only fair that we give POR a try this time! So POR was booked for 8 nights and 9 days with FREE dining! Then later free dining came out for the general public and I didn't feel so special getting that pin after all! Then pretty soon the room only discounts came out and that got me thinking again. Hey, maybe we could cut back our free dining stay and do one of the less expensive deluxes for a few nights. I ran it by DH and he was okay with it. So we are going to be at POR for 6 nights and then switch to OKW for the final 2 nights!

This will all be new to us - POR, OKW, a split stay, and WDW in November! We are hoping the split stay (packing and unpacking and repacking, etc) won't be as big of a pain as we think it is going to be!

Up Next: Our favorite things at Disney!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-08-2009, 05:02 PM   #3
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Shelly! I'm here! Now I'm going back to read all about your planning.

Lisa

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

Old 09-08-2009, 05:38 PM   #4
Momof2Disneyboys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeystoontown View Post
Shelly! I'm here! Now I'm going back to read all about your planning.

Lisa
Hey Lisa!

YAY ~ My first PTR reader!
Old 09-08-2009, 06:40 PM   #5
JoJo1980
DIS Veteran

Hey there! Count me in

We are taking our first december trip this year so I can understand your excitement of trying a new time of year Your family are very cute

I'm sure you'll be fine with the split stay - on our first ever disney trip we did 4 hotels in 2 weeks, so imagine how much packing and unpacking that involved But, we LOVED it! We got to experience lots of different resorts and never got bored of where we were staying. On our last trip we split it between 3 resorts. This trip we are just staying at WL for the 9 nights, as this has now become our second home

Can't wait to hear more about your plans
Old 09-08-2009, 08:08 PM   #6
Momof2Disneyboys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJo1980 View Post
Hey there! Count me in

We are taking our first december trip this year so I can understand your excitement of trying a new time of year Your family are very cute

I'm sure you'll be fine with the split stay - on our first ever disney trip we did 4 hotels in 2 weeks, so imagine how much packing and unpacking that involved But, we LOVED it! We got to experience lots of different resorts and never got bored of where we were staying. On our last trip we split it between 3 resorts. This trip we are just staying at WL for the 9 nights, as this has now become our second home

Can't wait to hear more about your plans
Welcome!

We are very excited to see the Christmas decorations at Disney! I'm not sure how many will be up by the second week of November, but we will be happy to see any. And I was so thrilled to find out that the Osborne Lights at DHS start on November 10th this year, rather than after Thanksgiving!

Wow, you are the split stay expert! I wouldn't be concerned if it were just DH and I, but the kids have so much "stuff" to pack and unpack! But I'm sure it will be fine. Who knows, if it goes well we may want to do it every time! It's a good way to experience more Disney resorts.

WL is on our list to try. It was between WL & OKW when choosing for our 2 night room only deluxe, but WL didn't have any standard rooms left, so that made our decision for us! We do have an ADR at WCC and plan to check out WL while we are there.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:02 PM   #7
LoraJ

I need a vacation!
Wanted to bid on Bare Naked Ladies?!?! The Tag Fairy is Shocked!

I'm tuning in Shelly.

Was today the first day of school? They are getting so big!

Old 09-08-2009, 11:05 PM   #8
Momof2Disneyboys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoraJ View Post
I'm tuning in Shelly.

Was today the first day of school? They are getting so big!
Yep, today was their first day back.

I know, they are growing up too fast. DS10 is nearly as tall as me. Not that that's very tall, but still!
Old 09-09-2009, 03:31 AM   #9
JoJo1980
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momof2Disneyboys View Post
Welcome!

We are very excited to see the Christmas decorations at Disney! I'm not sure how many will be up by the second week of November, but we will be happy to see any. And I was so thrilled to find out that the Osborne Lights at DHS start on November 10th this year, rather than after Thanksgiving!

Wow, you are the split stay expert! I wouldn't be concerned if it were just DH and I, but the kids have so much "stuff" to pack and unpack! But I'm sure it will be fine. Who knows, if it goes well we may want to do it every time! It's a good way to experience more Disney resorts.

WL is on our list to try. It was between WL & OKW when choosing for our 2 night room only deluxe, but WL didn't have any standard rooms left, so that made our decision for us! We do have an ADR at WCC and plan to check out WL while we are there.
I'm sure the decorations will be up, the MVMCP is on in November and i'm sure they are put up before that starts Cant have a christmas party without the decorations

Split stay expert nah, we just like seeing lots of resorts - think we are starting to settle down now, but who knows I totally understand when you said it could possibly be a bad idea with kids as they have a lot of stuff. Maybe try and involve them in the task of packing everything up so that you dont end up doing everything or try keeping the things you will need for the 2 nights in one case and keep that seperate so that you dont need unpack it at the start and can just throw all your 'used & bought' stuff in another case?

WCC is fun, you'll love it and the kids definately will The wilderness lodge is beautiful, their christmas decorations are meant to be lovely so I hope they are up too when you go
Old 09-09-2009, 08:55 AM   #10
Momof2Disneyboys
DIS Veteran

Some of our favorite things about Disney~

DS10 is my riding buddy. We love anything FAST!!! He has been riding all the coasters he can since he was tall enough. LOVES LOVES LOVES RNRC!! Like his momma! He loves fast and he loves high, but he does not love scary. So while you will see him on RNRC, Space, Splash, Big Thunder, TT, etc, you will not see him on the HM or TOT. What can I say, the boy knows his limits. And that's fine, I don't need anyone up in the middle of the night at WDW with bad dreams! I do wish he'd try TOT though, I just know he would love the ride, but not the theme. Maybe someday!

DS7 on the other hand does not care for fast, but doesn't mind dark or scary. He is DH's riding buddy. They are a little more laid back than DS10 & I! They love things like IASW, Living with the Land, and Soarin. They are great about waiting on DS10 and I though when we are off doing the coasters! They just find a popcorn stand and sit back and eat and people watch and wait. DS7 does do Big Thunder and TT, which is surprising. He thinks Big Thunder is okay, but he LOVES TT. DS10 keeps trying to talk him into riding EE, but he just won't go for it. Again, maybe someday!

To describe what type of ride I love look back at DS10's list! That kid may look like his dad, but he acts like his mom! We are thrill ride seekers!! I will ride anything except for spiny rides and Mission Space. And yes, I have been on MS (green version) and I won't be doing that again. Don't care for the enclosed space I guess.

And to describe what type of rides DH likes look back at DS7's list! And while DS7 looks more like me, he acts more like his dad! DH does not like roller coasters. But loves more laid back slow moving rides. Except for TT, he loves that! It took a lot of me talking him into even giving it a try, but he loved it once he tried it!

So ~ Favorite parks:

DS10 and I ~ DHS

DS7 and DH ~ Epcot

Up Next: More of our favorite things about Disney!
Old 09-09-2009, 08:59 AM   #11
Momof2Disneyboys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJo1980 View Post
I'm sure the decorations will be up, the MVMCP is on in November and i'm sure they are put up before that starts Cant have a christmas party without the decorations

Split stay expert nah, we just like seeing lots of resorts - think we are starting to settle down now, but who knows I totally understand when you said it could possibly be a bad idea with kids as they have a lot of stuff. Maybe try and involve them in the task of packing everything up so that you dont end up doing everything or try keeping the things you will need for the 2 nights in one case and keep that seperate so that you dont need unpack it at the start and can just throw all your 'used & bought' stuff in another case?

WCC is fun, you'll love it and the kids definately will The wilderness lodge is beautiful, their christmas decorations are meant to be lovely so I hope they are up too when you go

Yeah, I am thinking that the parks will have their decorations up, just not sure how much the hotels will have up in mid November. We will probably take a deluxe hotel tour just in-case!

Thanks for the split-stay tips.

I hope we like WCC. I'm not sure there is anything on the menu that my kids are going to eat. They are very picky eaters. But I'm sure they will have a great time there. They are not shy at all, so they will join in all the fun!
Old 09-09-2009, 09:02 AM   #12
trixiequilts
DIS Veteran

Heelllllloooooo!!!

Great start to your first ever PTR.

I'm still bummed that I didn't get to ride RNRC with your DS10. He would have loved to hear me laugh/scream the whole time! Maybe in November 2010???

I'm so excited to hear what you think of November!

My Trips: January 2009, October 2010, August 2011, February 2012, December 2012, November 2013, May 2014.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:24 AM   #13
Momof2Disneyboys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixiequilts View Post
Heelllllloooooo!!!

Great start to your first ever PTR.

I'm still bummed that I didn't get to ride RNRC with your DS10. He would have loved to hear me laugh/scream the whole time! Maybe in November 2010???

I'm so excited to hear what you think of November!

Hi Trixie!

I can't believe for as many times as we ran into you guys at DHS we didn't get to ride RNRC together! DS10 probably would have said the same thing to you that he says to me - you scream like a little girl on RNRC!!

Okay November 2010, it's a plan!!
Old 09-09-2009, 10:53 AM   #14
JoBird
Proud Charter Member of the Tagless Clique
I almost got a tag about clean butter but then the tag fairy saw I don't like tags

I'm here! I'm here!

Love it- great start. Keep me entertained while I decide yay or nay to November!

Jo
Old 09-09-2009, 11:05 AM   #15
Disney Mommy 3
DIS Veteran

Hey!!I found you!!! Great start!!! You may compel me to do a PTR!! I have never done one either!!!

TRIXIE!!!!!Where have you been? you need to come say hey!!Shelly moved our old thread over so we could all stay together no matter when we are doing Disney!!! We miss you girl!!!!!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: