DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Member Services
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2009, 11:28 AM   #1
Coach81
DIS Veteran

Disney Land Worth a Trip?

How does Disney Land compare to WDW? Thinking of taking a trip there perhaps in the years to come. Is it worth it?
Next Trip- Super Summer Trip w Trahans @ SSR Treehouse Villas!!! Last Trip-Mardi Gras '14 VWL, May '13 SSR Grand Villa!!! May '12 AKV 5/11 UF (HRH) 3/11 BLT, 5/10 THV,3/10 UF (RPR), 12/9 BCV, 5/9 BWV, 2/9 SSR, 5/8 AKV, 2/8 OKW Joined DVC Spring '07

Coach81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 12:06 PM   #2
chalee94
I thought all sand was ground up rocks
He's used to walking n00bies

here is a very helpful thread:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1162599

IMO it's worth it, but it's a very different experience... i probably wouldn't spend more than a few days there.

chalee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-08-2009, 12:11 PM   #3
TMB1203
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalee94 View Post
IMO it's worth it, but it's a very different experience... i probably wouldn't spend more than a few days there.
I totally agree! Worth the trip, but not more than a few days.
I love the fact that everything is in walking distance (no waiting for transportation) and that from the GC you can walk right into CA.
IMO, the crowds are harder to deal with at DL-it seems much more crowded than WDW.
TMB1203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 12:11 PM   #4
wideeyedwonder
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach81 View Post
How does Disney Land compare to WDW? Thinking of taking a trip there perhaps in the years to come. Is it worth it?
The short answer is "yes", but the long answer is much more complicated (certain rides are different, certain others don't exist at WDW, number of rides isn't vastly different even though it's 2 parks vs. 4, you don't need to board any transportation if you stay at an on-site hotel, etc. etc. etc.)

Search the Disneyland forum for similar questions, or, just ask your question there. There are many WDW + DL vets that can go into much more detail on "why Disneyland?":

http://disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26

My current preference is DLR (over WDW), but it's partially based on a lot to do in a walkable space. We do miss Epcot, however, so maybe every 5 years we'll do WDW...thank God for DVC!

4n Bahamas July 2008, 7n Western Carib July 2009,
15n Panama Canal Jan 2011, 7n Mexican Riviera Sept 2011
wideeyedwonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 12:25 PM   #5
thelionqueen
DIS Veteran
The Tag Fairy threw me a bone to hear me scream!
My body has finally figured out that it can let go of the fat!

DEFINITELY YES!!

I disagree with other posters that say a few days is sufficient. Especially if you haven't been to DL you need at least 4 days IMO. There are some "can't miss" attractions that are very time consuming (Aladdin show comes immediately to mind as well as Submarine Voyage).

Also, if you plan on going in late 2010 or beyond, Carsland will be open as well as World of color and the Little Mermaid ride, not to mention all the other improvements @ DCA.

I absolutely love DL and have been more times than I can count (at least 30). We stay at least 7 nights, but that includes time at the beach (less than 20 mins away) as well as a day @ Knott's Berry Farm (less than 15 mins away).

DL is very much a different experience than WDW, but is so excellent and is a MUST DO for everyone IMHO.
Old 09-08-2009, 12:31 PM   #6
Anal Annie
....at least I KNOW I'm a kook...I just can't stop it....

We went for 3 nights as an add-on to our 2005 DCL (the first time they did the Mexican Riviera) and we were glad that we went. Three days was plenty to do both parks tho - it is not a week long thing like FL. That was before we bought DVC and bought AP's. We would go again if Disney would allow our AP's to be used on both coasts. That should be an option somewhere. We would likely split our trips between both coasts if the passes had more diversity. We actually ALMOST planned a trip to DL this past spring. I found good airfare (about $200 pp) and was prepared to call MS & see about using points at Paradise Pier (me thinks VGC is over priced per point so we'd likely not stay there) and then we realized that we'd also have to buy park tix. Well, that made it not so affordable anymore so we didn't go.

This Friday DCL is set to announce their 2011 itineraries at the D23 Expo in Anaheim. They've already said they're repositioning the Wonder in early 2011 to LA - maybe you could tie a trip to DL as an add-on to a DCL like we did?! That worked out well.

Come join me for my 2nd ever trip report now in progress for DisneyLAND and Aulani and Maui 2014. http://www.disboards.com/showthread....7#post52179607

My first ever trip report - Disneyland Paris and our DCL Med cruise: http://thewhitehouseblog.weebly.com/ (ALMOST but not quite finished)

August 2014 - 3 n @ VGC & DL followed by 7 n @ Aulani follwed by 3 n on Maui / Jan 2014 - 5 n @ AKV Jambo House / Aug 2013 - 9 nights @ SSR / Aug 2012 - 9 n @ Boardwalk Villas and HRH / Mar-Apr 2012 6 n @ Bay Lake / August 2011 Disneyland Paris and DCL MED cruise / August 2010 Disney's DVC resort at Hilton Head Island, SC / March 2010 Kidani Village at AKV / August '09 BCV & Vero Beach / May '09 SSR / July '08 AKV & B2B Cruises on The Wonder/ January '08 VWL / August '07 OKW / July '06 Offsite - Waikiki, Kona & Ka'anapali, Hawaii / July '05 Disneyland & Disney Magic West Coast Cruise to the Mexican Riviera / Summer '04 CSR / May '03 Offsite - St. John, USVI / Summer '02 AKL & O.C., MD

[/url]IMG]http://photopost.wdwinfo.com/uploads/21406/ssrgroup.jpg[/IMG] [url=http://www.myvacationcountdown.com/]

[url=http://www.myvacationcountdown.com/]
Anal Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 12:34 PM   #7
chalee94
I thought all sand was ground up rocks
He's used to walking n00bies

a few of the differences:

you can dine at a restaurant in DL while the pirates of the caribbean riders drift past...

Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride is still there
Finding Nemo Submarine ride
matterhorn ride
in december, the haunted mansion at DL has a holiday overlay

Fantasmic is different
they also get a flying dumbo during the fireworks show

chalee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 12:45 PM   #8
funatdisney
Disneyland, DH and my horses have a soothing effect on my soul, and always brings a smile on my face.

And let's not forget that the It's a Small World is just stunning during the Holiday season. A must see that you won't soon forget.

I think if you were to go to DLR one time only, I would pick December. Not only is it a very special time and the parks are decorated, but HM and IASW are completely diferent this time of year. Both are a must see and worth the trip.

I also must say, Halloween Time is also very unique to DLR when compared to WDW, and is the second choice I would recommend for a visit.

DVC member since 2007; SSR and VGC.
funatdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 01:08 PM   #9
robert@dvcstore
Old Key West member since 1994

DISboards Approved Advertiser

I agree with all the previous posters. But, the best part for me about Disneyland is that it is "Walt's Park". Imagine Walt walking the park the day before opening, overseeing his kingdom. Many original ideas for a Disney theme park came from Walt and Disneyland. That type of history you just don't find at Walt Disney World.

If you have a chance to read a biography of Walt before you travel to Disneyland, you will enjoy the park that much more. I am glad to see that they are incorporating many of Walt's California adventures into the rebuilding of Disney's California Adventure. We can't forget that it all started with a mouse and a man named Walt Disney.

Robert
Old 09-08-2009, 01:13 PM   #10
Coach81
DIS Veteran

Thanks for all the responses. Looks like I'll need to do a bit more homework on the parks before we make a decision. The info is much appreciated.
Next Trip- Super Summer Trip w Trahans @ SSR Treehouse Villas!!! Last Trip-Mardi Gras '14 VWL, May '13 SSR Grand Villa!!! May '12 AKV 5/11 UF (HRH) 3/11 BLT, 5/10 THV,3/10 UF (RPR), 12/9 BCV, 5/9 BWV, 2/9 SSR, 5/8 AKV, 2/8 OKW Joined DVC Spring '07

Coach81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 01:52 PM   #11
Oshawa
Mouseketeer

We just got back yesterday from our first ever trip to Disneyland. We loved it. We stayed at the GC. I loved that you were able to walk to the parks.

We purchased a 6 day park hopper (it was on sale for the price of a 4 day). We just wanted to be in the parks and enjoy everything that Walt dreamed of. It does have totally different vibe to it. Like he is still there. It was really touching to see the light on his office over top of the fire station.

We have been to WDW 4 times now but this was a totally different experience. We do plan on going back sometime in the future. Once the changes are made DCA.
Old 09-08-2009, 05:49 PM   #12
mattmommy
Mouseketeer
My DS loves rice. I call him my "international child".

It's like having 2 kids. Which do you love more?

DL was the original, but WDW improved on some things.

Some top attractions:

Indiana Jones ride (like Dinosaur but WAY better)

The Aladdin Show (on a Broadway caliber in a real theater

All the rides are EMPTY during Fantasmic.

Walk between the two parks.
mattmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 05:55 PM   #13
DVC Mike

DVC Member @ BLT, VGC, VWL, BWV, BCV

yes!

Bay Lake Tower, Boardwalk Villas, and Villas at the Grand Floridian

DVC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 06:44 PM   #14
malonefamily
Addon fever finally hit with GCV (closer to home!)

Disneyland is better, per square foot anyhow

There are dozens of modest differences, and a decent list of large differences between the attractions available between the two coasts. But the real difference is that the DLR, if you stay at the GCV, is unique in all of the Disney experiences. I compare it to what it would be like if Epcot and the Magic Kingdom were side by side and you were staying the the Yacht or Beach Club... the very best Disney has to offer, with zero bus riding, car parking, tram riding, etc.

We usually do 3 or 4 days at the two parks, 1 day at Knotts Berry Farm (with dinner at Medieval Times or similar that night), and then, when we're feeling indulgent, maybe a day for Universal Studios, SeaWorld or another southern CA attraction... there are many of course. It's easy to spend a week at DLR if you want to, but the core Disney parks are 3-4 days for most people.

It amazes me how many attractions are in Disneyland itself, the imagineers make use of every square inch of that park to their full advantage.
malonefamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 09:25 PM   #15
tink_lover
POLKA PRINCESS

We LOVED DL and hope to go back soon! Everyone is going to have different answers based on personal preferences....i.e. I disagree with previous poster regarding Indiana Jones being better than Dinosaur. The word that describes DL is charming. It is a beautiful park. Our family felt that ride comparison to ride, DL won hands down. And as far as crowdedness of the park (is that a word?), DL over spring break was very light in crowds compared to our prior 3 spring break trips to WDW. I'm sure it depends on the time of year you visit. We did miss Epcot and AK which is why I came home and booked the trip we took last week We loved GC and look forward to staying there again.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: