Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2009, 10:07 PM   #1
Donald duk
Earning My Ears

Extended park stays

I would be interested in hearing peoples experiences with extended stays of 2 weeks or more. Last year we went for 7 days, it was not enough. This year we are thinking of 14 nights or more. We have a large group. My wife and my self, Son 23 plus girlfriend, daughter 22 plus boyfriend, daughter 21 plus husband and son 2yrs, daughter 16, son 14 most likely not coming due to football camp, daughter 9, daughter 3. So it will be a grand gathering. I have seen some trip reports, but was looking for extended stays. Any input would be greatly appreciated. We are DVC members if it makes a difference.
Thanks

Last edited by Donald duk; 09-07-2009 at 10:21 PM.
Donald duk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 12:53 AM   #2
Robo
Attention: There's a '71 Castle in the Hub with its lights on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald duk View Post
I would be interested in hearing peoples experiences with extended stays of 2 weeks or more.
These longer are far more common with European travelers.

There are actually 14 day tickets sold in the UK.

http://www.wdisneyw.co.uk/

http://www.wdisneyw.com/forums/
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-08-2009, 03:02 AM   #3
stan_the_man
Wierdo with a beardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
These longer are far more common with European travelers.

There are actually 14 day tickets sold in the UK.

http://www.wdisneyw.co.uk/

http://www.wdisneyw.com/forums/
There are also 21 day tickets sold as well

But yes, us English usually go on holiday for 2 weeks at a time, and I always find it strange when I read trip reports on here where people have gone for only a few days!!

In fact, we're going to Disney for 19 days this time (only 2 weeks to go!!)
stan_the_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 06:40 AM   #4
jharrowell
Disney Phreak

I must be the exception to the rule as I'm from the UK but usually only go for 8 to 10 days.

Of course, being a DVC member might be a factor in that as I tend to go for short trips but often (the average is 3 times a year).

I am however going for a long one next March (2009 is the first year in a long time I've not been to WDW and March 2010 is a Milestone Birthday for me) so I'll be able to compare then.

Follow my twitters for pre-trip and live trip reports as well as the usual inane Twitter chatter at:
http://twitter.com/disneyfanjen
jharrowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 09:14 AM   #5
Donald duk
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan_the_man View Post
There are also 21 day tickets sold as well

But yes, us English usually go on holiday for 2 weeks at a time, and I always find it strange when I read trip reports on here where people have gone for only a few days!!

In fact, we're going to Disney for 19 days this time (only 2 weeks to go!!)
How many days do will you be in the park, and what resort are you staying in, or are you staying off site?
Old 09-08-2009, 12:52 PM   #6
Princess Disney Mom
DIS Veteran

Wow, that is a long time. I too found that 7 days is too short. What we do now is 3 or so nights off-site to visit the beach and 8 nights at WDW.
This works out just right for us.

While off-site we go to the Disney outlets/DTD and the water parks so there is some Disney.
2006 - CR X 2/ DoubleTree WDW/ POFQ/ Music Resort
2007 - POP X 3/ Double Tree WDW
2008 - Disneyland/ BoardWalk / Off Site WDW
2009 - Offsite/Doubletree at WDW/CR/Boardwalk
2010 - Disneyland/ Doubletree WDW/HBC/ Music Resort
2011 - Hilton Bonnet Creek/ Port Orleans Riverside
2012 - Hilton Bonnet Creek
2013- Disneyland / Grand Floridian
2014 - Offsite/ Grand Floridian
Princess Disney Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 02:42 PM   #7
Donald duk
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Disney Mom View Post
Wow, that is a long time. I too found that 7 days is too short. What we do now is 3 or so nights off-site to visit the beach and 8 nights at WDW.
This works out just right for us.

While off-site we go to the Disney outlets/DTD and the water parks so there is some Disney.
We will probably spend a day or two at universal and a day at seaworld. We may also go on some of the behind the scenes tours at disney. We wantto be more relaxed this time instead runnning around like crazy. We will most likely be on a dining plan also. I am not sure if it will be standard or deluxe, definatley not quick service. Leaning toward standard at the moment.
I have heard of people going for 3 weeks or even a month but have not seen any postings of such.
Old 09-08-2009, 02:56 PM   #8
BradyBz12
1340.63 miles too far from the Fort

We did three 2-week trips in '04, '06 & '07 and last year was our first 3 week trip (20 nights). We were a bit concerned that might be "too long" but we had such a great time we're doing it again this year!

We bring our travel trailer and stay at FW with our dogs. We find that the extra time affords us the ability to tour the parks at a leisurely pace and still spend time relaxing and being "on vacation." We generally spend 4-6 hours in the parks most days, and some days we just pop in for dinner or to watch the fireworks.

The extra time also gives us the ability to check out all the things we skipped in the past to save time, and to just generally slow down and appreciate all the little details that make WDW so magical. It also gives us time to relax and enjoy the pool and other amenities offered at our resort, as well as time to check out the other resorts and the dining and other stuff they have to offer as well (just remember - no pool hopping )

Because we're not pushed to see everything in a few days, we don't make strict touring plans, but instead arm ourselves with info to make decisions as we go along - park hours, EMH, special shows/parties, etc.

The other perk of extra time is that if something is super busy one day, we can come back another.

We purchased APs which made the park tix part of the trip very affordable (especially since we used them over 2 trips) and we took advantage of all the AP discounts, incl. the TiW card.

And one more pro is that with that we sometimes also squeeze in a few days here and there to go to UO/IoA or SeaWorld, although last year we stayed at WDW the entire time.

Have a wonderful trip!
BradyBz12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 03:15 PM   #9
KellyNY
DIS Veteran

We did 2 weeks couple of years ago in the late August. We splited out stay between CBR and CSR. We were completely relaxed. The only plans were ADRs, anything else we were deciding on a spot. It was a great trip.

DESPERADOS, AND LOVING IT !!!

HO HO HO
KellyNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 03:31 PM   #10
Donald duk
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradyBz12 View Post
We did three 2-week trips in '04, '06 & '07 and last year was our first 3 week trip (20 nights). We were a bit concerned that might be "too long" but we had such a great time we're doing it again this year!

We bring our travel trailer and stay at FW with our dogs. We find that the extra time affords us the ability to tour the parks at a leisurely pace and still spend time relaxing and being "on vacation." We generally spend 4-6 hours in the parks most days, and some days we just pop in for dinner or to watch the fireworks.

The extra time also gives us the ability to check out all the things we skipped in the past to save time, and to just generally slow down and appreciate all the little details that make WDW so magical. It also gives us time to relax and enjoy the pool and other amenities offered at our resort, as well as time to check out the other resorts and the dining and other stuff they have to offer as well (just remember - no pool hopping )

Because we're not pushed to see everything in a few days, we don't make strict touring plans, but instead arm ourselves with info to make decisions as we go along - park hours, EMH, special shows/parties, etc.

The other perk of extra time is that if something is super busy one day, we can come back another.

We purchased APs which made the park tix part of the trip very affordable (especially since we used them over 2 trips) and we took advantage of all the AP discounts, incl. the TiW card.

And one more pro is that with that we sometimes also squeeze in a few days here and there to go to UO/IoA or SeaWorld, although last year we stayed at WDW the entire time.

Have a wonderful trip!
How big is your party? We will be at the one of the deluxe villas haven't decide which yet. So it will be a bit different for us not having a travel trailer.We may split resorts but this may be a hassle with the dining plan, since we will inavariably use two table services some days and none on others. We may switch to deluxe though and this would pretty much make it a moot point.
Old 09-08-2009, 03:44 PM   #11
Donald duk
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyNY View Post
We did 2 weeks couple of years ago in the late August. We splited out stay between CBR and CSR. We were completely relaxed. The only plans were ADRs, anything else we were deciding on a spot. It was a great trip.
How much hassle was the switching rooms during the split stay? Would you split your stay again? Were you on a dining plan?

Tags
extended, extended stay, grand gathering, stay, trip

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: