Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2009, 04:29 PM   #91
WUVmyDISNEY
DIS Veteran

Thanks for posting this to make us all aware. I know myself I tend to fall into vacationer trap and forget about some of the dangers. Thank God he got help right away and you were able to identify the snake. You must have been beside yourself as I can only imagine! good luck to you, your son and family for this to become a distant memory.
WUVmyDISNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 06:01 PM   #92
kiranic
Mouseketeer

I am so happy your son recovered!!! As an ex-ER nurse, I was thankful that we never had to deal with many snake bites in IL.

I think it is always good to remember that even though we are at Disney, there are things we need to watch out for! Thank you!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-07-2009, 06:27 PM   #93
2nd childhood
Living out my 2nd childhood vicariously through my children

So glad that your son is recovering.

Thank you so much for reposting your warning. I just read it aloud to my husband and we are both in shock. We've been to Disney many times and have another one scheduled for this October. Never even gave snakes a thought, but we'll be sure to have our eyes open and talk with our son who is 9 and is always investigating everything.

Last edited by 2nd childhood; 09-07-2009 at 11:23 PM.
2nd childhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 06:27 PM   #94
Dopey420
DIS Veteran

To keep things in perspective, you are far more likely to be struck by lightning in Florida than to be bitten by a snake or a shark.

Soarin' is borin'

December 2013- Boardwalk Villas; October 2012- Saratoga Springs; October 2011- Saratoga Springs; December 2009- Saratoga Springs April 2009- Boardwalk Villas; October 2008- Boardwalk Villas; July 2008- Dolphin; December 2007- Animal Kingdom Lodge; April 2007- AllStar Music, Saratoga Springs, Pop Century; Oct 2006- AllStar Sports, BWV, POFQ; July 2005- Vero, Boardwalk Inn; Oct 2004- Contemporary Tower; Feb 2004- Coronado Springs; Dec 2003- Radisson Resort Parkway; Oct 2002- Best Western Lake Cecile; Apr 1994- Delta Resort
Dopey420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 06:38 PM   #95
Dopey420
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCornell View Post
I know what you mean but I read it as an innocent enough question. I don't think it's the expectation that Disney should take responsibility but everyone on the boards knows they have such a reputation of going over and above on so many occasions that people automatically wonder if they didn't do that in this case, too since clearly this was a family in need of some magic.
The old adage, "If a person gets good service, he tells one person; if he gets bad service, he tells 10" applies here X 100. Disney definitely doesn't want someone coming on here and saying, "I got bit by a snake on Disney property. Don't go there, it is full of snakes." Which it is, by the way. I'm surprised they have only offered tickets.

Soarin' is borin'

December 2013- Boardwalk Villas; October 2012- Saratoga Springs; October 2011- Saratoga Springs; December 2009- Saratoga Springs April 2009- Boardwalk Villas; October 2008- Boardwalk Villas; July 2008- Dolphin; December 2007- Animal Kingdom Lodge; April 2007- AllStar Music, Saratoga Springs, Pop Century; Oct 2006- AllStar Sports, BWV, POFQ; July 2005- Vero, Boardwalk Inn; Oct 2004- Contemporary Tower; Feb 2004- Coronado Springs; Dec 2003- Radisson Resort Parkway; Oct 2002- Best Western Lake Cecile; Apr 1994- Delta Resort
Dopey420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 07:21 PM   #96
Lynn5700
WOO HOO I will be there

Aww your poor son I'm glad he is OK, but what a shame to have that happen on vacation!

Thank you for the warning. I would have never thought.
Lynn5700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 07:40 PM   #97
A Mickeyfan
DIS Veteran

You need to watch where you walk anywhere in Fl when walking in the grass, not just at Disney. Snakes are all over Fl, not only Disney. That is one reason why I hate walking in my own yard at night, when I can't see what is in the grass. When on vacation, you still need to take precautions with Fl native wildlife.. snakes, spiders & alligators... and yeah, if in the water.. sharks. While it is unlikely that you will get bitten, you still need to watch out.. just as you do need to watch the skies for lightning. Never take anything for granted and think it cannot or will not happen to you..as you all can see from this story.. it can and does happen......
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

hugs to the little trooper... how is he doing? I know we discussed this over the summer too....
Old 09-07-2009, 09:11 PM   #98
mdurette
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey family View Post
I want to share what happened to my son on our recent trip to make everyone aware and to be very careful.

At the end of May we were staying at the Caribbean Resort. We had only been there for 2 hours when we headed toward the bus stop to go to dinner. We were walking on the sidewalk when my 7 year old son dropped a toy into the landscaping. The toy landed less than a foot from the sidewalk edge into some very manicured landscaping. He bent down to pick it up, his feet never leaving the sidewalk, when he suddenly said, "Daddy, Daddy, something just bit me!" At first we thought it was just a prickly bush or a lizard until my husband saw the snake. We immediately called for an ambulance and I scooped him up, praying all the while, and headed for the bus stop to wait for the ambulance. The pain was excruciating and his hand began to swell. He kept asking me if he was going to die. Imagine hearing a question like that from your child and not knowing the answer. He was bitten three times on the finger by a water moccasin. We were first taken to Celebration Hospital and then transferred to Florida Children's Hospital. He spent three days in the pediatric intensive care unit and received 12 vials of anitivenin. The swelling reached all the way to his shoulder, but antivenin was administered before it invaded the shoulder joint, or he might have lost his entire arm. Thankfully the antivenin worked, he survivied, and was able to keep his arm and finger. For several weeks he was sleeping over 14 hours a day, one of the side effects of the antivenin, and he still has some stiffness in his finger.

I know the chances of getting bitten by a venomous snake at Disney are very rare, but it can and did happen. I just want to make everyone aware. It is a natural wildlife area. Watch your children around the landscaping, keep them from making shortcuts through it. Would our experience keep us from Disney in the future? No, but I would definately be more cautious. Just be aware of your surroundings.

When we were at Saratoga Springs last January about 10 feet in front on of us on the walkway to the pool a huge black snake slithered by. It was about 4 feet long. After that - I watched everywhere we were walking!
mdurette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 09:14 PM   #99
720L
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feralpeg View Post
I just wanted to add that it is a good idea to keep your little ones out of any type of bushes or flowerbeds at WDW or any place in Florida. Not long ago, I spotted a banana spider in the UK area of Epcot. I was doing the Kim Possible Adventure with my daughter. A clue had sent us over behind the tea shop. The spider was near the next clue area. Banana spiders are not something you want to bite you. In the past, I saw a black widow on some bushes in another part of Epcot. Black widows are very common. I've killed several outside my home.

Any way, they can be anywhere there are a lot of bushes or flowers. It's just best not to go into the flowerbeds. I'm saying this, because I see it happen on a fairly regular basis. Not a good idea.
On our trip this past June, we were sitting in the very back of a Disney bus. I'm in the seat next to the window. All of the sudden, a HUGE spider crawls on to the wall next to me. I jump onto my DH's lap, yell to my daughter to move because the spider was crawling on the window towards her. She sees it, screams & people on the bus are looking at us like we are crazy. I was so scared I could barely talk..until I got the word SPIDER! out..and people saw it on the window. The whole bus jumped to the opposite side of the bus. This thing was huge. I believe it was a Banana Spider..I googled it and it looked similar. It definitely had yellow in it and I kid you not it was as big as my hand (with it's legs-- the body was probably the size of my thumb). Even the men on the bus were scared to kill it. When we got off the bus the driver asked us what the commotion was about and we told her...but couldn't find the spider to show her ..so I don't know what she did about it. The rest of the trip I was sweating riding the buses. What I read it doesn't sound like they are poisonous?? I don't know how that thing got on the bus without someone seeing it...it really was huge.
(1988&1992ffsite) (1995:Dixie Landings) (1998: ASM) (2001:Disneyland) (2002:ASM) (2003 & 2004:Disneyland) (2005: POP) (2006: AKL & POP) (2007:POP,BC,CR) (2008: POP,AKL,CSR,ASMU,AKL) (2009: CSR ,POP,POLY,GF) (2010: DISNEYLAND DLH in June/ POP & BC in July/ POFQ for Thanksgiving) (April 1-8, 2011 AKL)(June 2011 POFQ)(October 13-16, 2011 Boardwalk) (June 2012 Disneyland/Carsland opening day!) (July 22, 2012-August 3, 2012 Disneyworld CSR & BC)(Christmas 2012 AOA)(:Spring Break April 2013 POP) (June 2013 AKL)(Thanksgiving 2013 Nov. 21-24 POP)(AKL!! June 2014)
720L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 09:32 PM   #100
1stvisit0909
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feralpeg View Post
I just wanted to add that it is a good idea to keep your little ones out of any type of bushes or flowerbeds at WDW or any place in Florida. Not long ago, I spotted a banana spider in the UK area of Epcot. I was doing the Kim Possible Adventure with my daughter. A clue had sent us over behind the tea shop. The spider was near the next clue area. Banana spiders are not something you want to bite you. In the past, I saw a black widow on some bushes in another part of Epcot. Black widows are very common. I've killed several outside my home.

Any way, they can be anywhere there are a lot of bushes or flowers. It's just best not to go into the flowerbeds. I'm saying this, because I see it happen on a fairly regular basis. Not a good idea.

And FYI..not all widows have the red mark on the abdomen either. Many these days are solid black. Scientist think its b/c humans have been killing the red marked ones for so long, allowing the genetic mutation of solid black to become more common than in the past. (same theory applies to rattlesnakes...more are found with less/quieter rattles than in the past). Just thought I'd share b/c I meet people all the time who don't realize they CAN be solid black.

Coronado Springs 2014 PTR
Simply Having a Wonderful Christmas Time TR POFQ 2012 OKW 09
1stvisit0909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 09:38 PM   #101
1stvisit0909
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 720L View Post
On our trip this past June, we were sitting in the very back of a Disney bus. I'm in the seat next to the window. All of the sudden, a HUGE spider crawls on to the wall next to me. I jump onto my DH's lap, yell to my daughter to move because the spider was crawling on the window towards her. She sees it, screams & people on the bus are looking at us like we are crazy. I was so scared I could barely talk..until I got the word SPIDER! out..and people saw it on the window. The whole bus jumped to the opposite side of the bus. This thing was huge. I believe it was a Banana Spider..I googled it and it looked similar. It definitely had yellow in it and I kid you not it was as big as my hand (with it's legs-- the body was probably the size of my thumb). Even the men on the bus were scared to kill it. When we got off the bus the driver asked us what the commotion was about and we told her...but couldn't find the spider to show her ..so I don't know what she did about it. The rest of the trip I was sweating riding the buses. What I read it doesn't sound like they are poisonous?? I don't know how that thing got on the bus without someone seeing it...it really was huge.
Depends...the regular banana spider bite is likened to a bee sting...
The Brazilian wandering spider, also known as a banana spider...has a bite with neurotoxin venom like a black widow.

Dont think i'd mess with either. I googled pics of both and would FREAK if I saw either!!

Old 09-07-2009, 09:38 PM   #102
NJAmanda
Mouseketeer

Thank you so much for thinking of our children. I really appreciate it and I know so many others do too. I just read this to my husband and he said, wow, that is terrible. We will keep this in mind on our upcoming trip and your son and your family in our thoughts. I am so glad that he is feeling better and that he is safe!

Next trip April 20, 2013- Port Orleans French Quarter
NJAmanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 09:40 PM   #103
1stvisit0909
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopey420 View Post
To keep things in perspective, you are far more likely to be struck by lightning in Florida than to be bitten by a snake or a shark.
True, but one should be aware. Cus all three stink!

Old 09-07-2009, 09:43 PM   #104
princessmom29
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by swald91 View Post
WOW! Your poor family... I can't imagine--and my kids like to run around outside our room at the Poly-lots of time barefoot!!!! I do hope you get to take another trip there & actually get to enjoy it. I hope he wouldn't be afraid to go there again... It's really too bad that states that have a poisonous snake problem can't have that anti-venum stuff available more readily (like in the resorts)-I know it's probably impossible especially at the cost!!!!! Although I think Disney probably does a good job at trying to keep them out-obviously it's still happens.
Just wanted to comment on why antivenin cannot be kept at resorts ect and administered there. It really would not be cost effective, but it is not medically possible either. It has to be prepared in a very specific manner by someone specially trained, and it takes anywhere from 30 min to an hour to be ready to administer. Also, there is a high risk of an anaphylatic reaction to the antivenin so it must be administered in a hospital setting with access to epinephrin and advanced lifesaving equipment. It is not just a pill or injection that can be given immediately like an epipen. I live in a state with several venemous species and we are taught from small children to look where we are stepping ect, and never place any body part into a place you can't see. I would say that this is the best advice I can give for how to avoid being bitten. If you cannot clearly see into whatever brush it is, don't go there.
princessmom29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 09:43 PM   #105
720L
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stvisit0909 View Post
Depends...the regular banana spider bite is likened to a bee sting...
The Brazilian wandering spider, also known as a banana spider...has a bite with neurotoxin venom like a black widow.

Dont think i'd mess with either. I googled pics of both and would FREAK if I saw either!!
It definitely wasn't a Brazilian wandering spider. I think it was a Banana spider. I'm glad I know what it was now. Not that it makes me feel any better!
(1988&1992ffsite) (1995:Dixie Landings) (1998: ASM) (2001:Disneyland) (2002:ASM) (2003 & 2004:Disneyland) (2005: POP) (2006: AKL & POP) (2007:POP,BC,CR) (2008: POP,AKL,CSR,ASMU,AKL) (2009: CSR ,POP,POLY,GF) (2010: DISNEYLAND DLH in June/ POP & BC in July/ POFQ for Thanksgiving) (April 1-8, 2011 AKL)(June 2011 POFQ)(October 13-16, 2011 Boardwalk) (June 2012 Disneyland/Carsland opening day!) (July 22, 2012-August 3, 2012 Disneyworld CSR & BC)(Christmas 2012 AOA)(:Spring Break April 2013 POP) (June 2013 AKL)(Thanksgiving 2013 Nov. 21-24 POP)(AKL!! June 2014)
720L is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: