Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2009, 01:52 PM   #76
Mousemom
DIS Veteran

How absolutely terrifying. Being a parent and feeling so helpless when our kids are sick is awful. I am so glad to hear that your son is OK. Coming from a part of the country where snakes, spiders, etc are not an issue I would have never thought of worrying about snakes while vacationing in WDW. With this kind of snake being attracted to water is it a problem at the water parks. I love the lazy river and have seen snakes in it before but did not think much about it. Things are going to be different now. We leave in 3 weeks and I will be much more careful.
Mousemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 01:53 PM   #77
ShortyNBug
Mouseketeer

I am so glad he is ok. How scary for him, and for you. Thanks for the heads up.
ShortyNBug is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-07-2009, 01:54 PM   #78
dis-happy
DIS Veteran

Wow, this thread makes me almost LIKE cockroaches!! They may be yechy but at least they're one form of Florida vermin that can't kill you.

Glad your story had a happy ending, OP. Hugs to you and your ds.
dis-happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 01:59 PM   #79
CLR4321
DIS Veteran

To thr OP, I am really glad to hear that your son was taken care of and he is doing better. I am also glad that you and your DH had the immediate instinct to call 911. Many people would think otherwise, and assume it was "just a bite". Every minute that passes without treatment can increase the chances of a more grim outcome.

To the PP's who asked where the OP was at and where she was staying...I understand if you are curious as to where she was staying. If you are using this as means of picking another hotel, do not stay away from CBR simply because this happened. Snakes are just as likely to be found at any WDW hotel as well as in the parks. While Disney does their best to keep snakes as well as alligators off the property by relocating the animals, they do get in as FL is their natural habitat, and WDW was built right in the middle of it. Disney maintains the same caution throughout the entire property. Do not think that they are more likely to keep an extra eye out at GF than they are at Pop or one of the All-Stars. The hotel plays no difference, as all Disney hotels have an environment that the snakes would naturally live in. Just be careful, stay on the designated paths and stay out of bushes or areas that are not designated paths. If you do happen to see a snake, let a CM know ASAP, as Disney will make their best attempt to remove the snake and relocate it.

March 2009 - Port Orleans Riverside
Sept 2009 - Pop Century
Feb 2010 - Caribbean Beach Resort
Jan 2011 - Port Orleans Riverside & Villas at Wilderness Lodge
CLR4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 02:19 PM   #80
bytheblood
DIS Veteran

Oh honey - I am so sorry. Praise God that your son is okay.

On a side note: I hope that Disney did something to help you so that you can have another vacation in the future.
bytheblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 02:22 PM   #81
chipsgirl1030
Mouseketeer

How terrifying for your family (especially your son). It would have been horrible enough if it happened at home, but I'm sure being in a strange city at a strange hospital with no other family for support must have made it even worse. I'm glad he's doing fine.

I've been reading other threads re: snakes in rooms, etc. but I've been trying not to think too much about it. Now after your story I'm really starting to freak out a little. I'll be staying at POR in October and I know one thing for sure, I'm not stepping off of the sidewalk and definitely not sticking my hand anywhere near a bush!
chipsgirl1030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 02:32 PM   #82
KnitchyFingers
Earning My Ears

Mickey Family, I'm so glad your son is okay. That sounds like a frightening experience all around and I'm glad you and your husband acted quickly to get him the help he needed. I can see how that put a damper on your vacation.

This is where I need to chime in and ask if I missed something. With all due respect to you and other posters, I'm a bit surprised at the number of people asking "what Disney did for you". While it was an unfortunate incident that happened on Disney property and I'm quite sure, ruined your vacation... I'm not understanding how any of this was under Disney's control. That type of snake is native to south central Florida. I don't see where Disney is responsible for making ANY of it up to you. This could have happened anywhere in Florida or in that general geographic region. Had it happened in a state park (for example), would the state of Florida been responsible for extending your stay and compensating you?

I'm not trying to flame you... I'm trying to understand.

KF
KnitchyFingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 02:32 PM   #83
NDdisney
Earning My Ears

I frequently wonder why I live in the part of the country that I do. One Very good thing about living here in No Snakes (except for rattle snakes every now & then). The next time the temp. 50 below outside, I will remember this and maybe it will make me feel better about living in the coldest place in the country.
NDdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 02:37 PM   #84
Vickie46
DIS Veteran

we saw snakes at the Port Orleans resort

Last edited by Vickie46; 09-07-2009 at 02:38 PM. Reason: saw snakes
Vickie46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 02:44 PM   #85
gk90
Mom to Sorcerer Mickey fan and Donald's #1 fan!

mickey family, so glad that your son is all right! Sending good thoughts your way for your next Disney trip--after that terrifying experience you deserve a magical one!

For anyone who's freaked out about all snakes and wildlife, while there are definitely some very dangerous creatures out there, most of them won't hurt you, especially if you stay away from them.
According to the Florida Museum of Natural History:
A majority of snakes are harmless. Of the 45 species and 44 subspecies of snakes found in Florida, only 6 species are venomous.
http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/herpetology...nlineguide.htm
Old 09-07-2009, 03:06 PM   #86
branv
The safety feature in my parents van was floor to ceiling shag carpet
If your clothes are cute enough, you can be forgiven for sensible shoes

Oh my goodness! I consider myself aware of my surroundings, even at WDW, but you're right -- I never would have thought "snake" when considering shrubbery at the resorts. Maybe spiders, but a water moccasin...wow! I'm so glad everything turned out (except that bill, ouch!), but sorry for the messed up vacation.

And thanks for posting your experience to help others.

Now that being said, I'm thinking about the times at night we've trudged over a dark beach, barely able to see a thing, and then plopped outselves down near the shoreline to watch the water parade. Hmmmmm...might rethink that in the future. Or at least carry a flashlight. When you consider how many times here in TX I've seen a moccasin floating along in a lake, you'd think I'd have had more sense.
branv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 03:13 PM   #87
disneyfantotheend
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the warning! I have read many posts of people seeing snakes and always thought nothing of it. I never really thought about just reaching down to pick something up and being bitten. You would think that is a harmless enough thing to do. From now on I will always be watching where I am walking when on Disney property.

I am glad your son is okay.
disneyfantotheend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 03:44 PM   #88
Beauty & the Best
Its all so magical!

Thanks for posting this story. We are staying at the CBR in about 2 weeks...I'd heard that there could be gators there but I hadn't thought about poisonous snakes.

I've seen a bunch of wild animals on WDW property - armadillos, rats (It wasn't Remy either!) and a family of deer (in the parking lot area of the TTC) so it shouldn't surprise me that there are snakes and the like out there.

But I think its easy to forget about things like this at Disney. You're in your perfect little Disney bubble and you just don't think about stuff like scary snakes biting your kids I guess that's just part of getting wrapped up in the magic.
Old 09-07-2009, 04:19 PM   #89
JCornell
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnitchyFingers View Post
This is where I need to chime in and ask if I missed something. With all due respect to you and other posters, I'm a bit surprised at the number of people asking "what Disney did for you". While it was an unfortunate incident that happened on Disney property and I'm quite sure, ruined your vacation... I'm not understanding how any of this was under Disney's control. That type of snake is native to south central Florida. I don't see where Disney is responsible for making ANY of it up to you. This could have happened anywhere in Florida or in that general geographic region. Had it happened in a state park (for example), would the state of Florida been responsible for extending your stay and compensating you?

I'm not trying to flame you... I'm trying to understand.
KF
I know what you mean but I read it as an innocent enough question. I don't think it's the expectation that Disney should take responsibility but everyone on the boards knows they have such a reputation of going over and above on so many occasions that people automatically wonder if they didn't do that in this case, too since clearly this was a family in need of some magic.
JCornell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 04:29 PM   #90
bjakmom

DIS Veteran
Tag Fairies DO have a lot of love to go around!

So glad your little guy is better!! Thank you so much for posting your story - I'm another frequent FL visitor (lived there in the 70s) who would have never known to react to a snake bite by calling 911 immediately! Now I know!! (and I will keep the Grandkids a little closer when we walk the pathways along the water - especially at night!)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: