Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2009, 11:29 AM   #61
mickey family
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy3boyz View Post
Wow! How scary! I'm surprised this wasn't reported in the news! Were you interviewed by anyone after the incident?

I don't think anyone outside of the hospital and Disney knew of the incident. I'm sure Disney does not want the bad press on something like this. Toward the end of our stay my son wanted to take the sling off so he wouldn't have to retell the story. People would see his sling and ask if he broke his arm. You should have seen the expressions when he told them what really happened.

Too many childhood trips to remember while visiting my grandparents who lived in DeBary, FL and then as an adult:
(May '97- Port Orleans), (Sept '99 -All Star Music), (May '01 - Shades of Green), (May '06 - Shades of Green), (May '09 - CBR, AKL, son's Disney snake bite adventure), (Jul '11 - Portofino Bay Hotel, Universal)
mickey family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 11:31 AM   #62
jinia
"For the better part of my childhood, my professional aspirations were simple - I wanted to be an intergalatic princess." Janet Evanovich

I am so glad your son recovered! We are staying at CBR in Oct so we truly appreciate the warning.
jinia is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-07-2009, 11:36 AM   #63
ShannonMB
DIS Veteran

Thanks for posting the story again, I never read it the first time. I have never given even one thought to worrying about snakes while at WDW. Now I know to take precautions. I am so sorry this happened to you guys, and I'm so glad your DS is getting better. The whole thing is just awful and heartbreaking!

ShannonMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 11:46 AM   #64
MomWith2Cinderellas
I wished upon a star and was granted the 3 loves of my life!

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

I am glad your son is doing better. We live in Texas and know to watch out for venomous snakes, but for some reason when we visit WDW we forget all about those things. Now, we will always remember to aware of our surroundings!
MomWith2Cinderellas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 11:46 AM   #65
1971DBday
Keep moving forward!

I am glad your son is doing well thanks to all of your fast actions! I think it is wonderful that you are still keeping a positive attitude towards Disney as well - wildlife is everywhere and I'm sure they do their best to monitor and keep their grounds safe.
'79 1st trip (child); '95 Honeymoon WL; '98 GF; '02 Poly; Nov/Dec '06 CSR; Nov/Dec '07 CBR; Nov/Dec '08 CSR; Nov/Dec2009Poly; Nov/Dec2010Poly; Oct '11 Poly; June '12 Poly; June '13 BC; Planning June 2014 AKV as First Time DVC Owners

1971DBday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 11:48 AM   #66
wvdislover
DIS Veteran

Wow! So sorry to hear about what happened to your DS! Glad to know he is recovering, though. Thanks so much for reminding us of what can happen when we let our guard down. We leave next week for our vacation...I'll have to keep this in mind and warn my DD's to be careful about where they play/walk, esp. with as much rain as it looks like Orlando has had recently.
July '89--Fort Wilderness; Feb '93--Dolphin, POR; Feb '95--Marriott World Center; Feb '97--Marriott World Center, POR; Feb '99--Marriott World Center; April '02--AS Movies; Feb '03--Gaylord Palms, Hard Rock Hotel; Feb '04--Dolphin, Hotel at Florida Mall; Feb '06--POR, Dolphin; June '06--POP; Sept '07--AKL (a dream come true!!!); Feb '08--Coronado Springs Resort/Marriott World Center; Sept '08--Beach Club/Disney Wonder (our first Disney Cruise!!!); Feb '09--Disneyland; Sept '09--Beach Club; Sept '10--Beach Club (3D Travel's Ultimate Field Trip); Sept '11--All-Star Music Family Suites (3D Travel's Ultimate Field Trip); Sept '12--Art of Animation (3D Travel's Ultimate Field Trip for Homeschoolers)
wvdislover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 01:37 PM   #67
disneynewbee
DIS Veteran

Never even gave snakes a thought. Thank you for the warning. My girls will be getting a very firm warning about staying away from the landscaping. Wow Disney got off easy with just a $100 copay. My insurance it would have been $0 copay since he was admitted but I would have been responsible for 10% which is a good amount.

10/2004 ASMo, 11/2006 POP, 10/2009 POP, 11/2012 POP
disneynewbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 01:42 PM   #68
floydfamily4
DIS Veteran

OH My! I am so glad your son is alright and thank you for sharing. I honestly wouldn't have stopped my kids from doing the same thing and would have been shocked to see a snake. Thanks for sharing and hang in there!
Old 09-07-2009, 01:55 PM   #69
~Kik-Kik~
DIS Veteran

What a terrible story!!! Thank you for the story though as I would have never thought of true poisionous snakes in WDW, you seeem to for get about the dangers of FLorida when you're there.

Your story actually reminded me of this one that happened in June.

Be aware that snakes get into the water parks aswell, when we were at Blizard Beach there as a snake in the Lazy River, and the CM telling us this had such a strong eastern accent that I didn't understand what he was saying untill I heard the people yelling "snake" from outside of the river. Very scary, but from the looks of it it was a garden snake so I just swam a little faster, lol. Now I wonder if it was a water mockison, that would have been horrible!!! So just be on the look out, especially in Summer, late Spring, early Fall in Florida.

~Kik-Kik~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 02:11 PM   #70
Rhonna
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey family View Post

He was given 12 vials of Cro-Fab because he was bitten 3 times and received a good dose of venom from the snake. I, my husband, and my oldest daughter all saw the snake and were able to identify it. My husband's Army training kicked in and he wanted to catch it for identification purposes, but my mother instinct kicked in even harder and he was told in no uncertain terms to leave the snake and get on the phone for an ambulance.
Very sorry your son and family went through this. Proof that kids are usually resilient and can bounce back fast.

I don't understand the price you quoted. I looked up Cro-Fab and got varying prices - from $750 - $1500 per vial. They come in different strengths and they give the stronger doses first, then lower doses.

At those prices, the TOTAL cost for 12 vials would be in the $9,000 to $18,000 range. How on earth did they get away with charging $130,000??? That's over $10,800 per vial!

No offense, but did you by chance misplace the comma or did the price perhaps include the hospital ER treatment, etc., all that came along with treating your son? Two hospitals and three days in pediatric ICU would make sense. Otherwise, I would think your insurance company would contest those anti-venom fees with the hospital.

Regardless, glad you son is well. Has an impressive story to tell later in life.
Rhonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 02:25 PM   #71
LilGMom
It makes me want to Kiss on the lips!
I have caught myself laughing more than a few times

How incredibly scary for your entire family! Very glad that your son is recovering.

Unfortunately snakes and alligators are a very real part of the environment in South Florida.
Animal Kingdom Lodge Jambo, Animal Kingdom Villas Kidani (aka "Home"), Bay Lake Towers, Beach Club Villas, Boardwalk Villas, Carribean Beach, The Contemporary, Coronado Springs, Old Key West, Pop Century, Port Orleans French Quarter & Riverside, Saratoga Springs (aka "Home"), Shades of Green, Swan, Treehouse Villas, Villas at Wilderness Lodge, Wilderness Lodge, Yacht Club, & the Disney Dream.

Upcoming trips: Whenver we feel like it. Living close has its perks.
"Well if there's enough room for a chowder-head like you, then there is more than enough room for a dragon" - Pete's Dragon
LilGMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 02:27 PM   #72
mickey family
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhonna View Post
Very sorry your son and family went through this. Proof that kids are usually resilient and can bounce back fast.

I don't understand the price you quoted. I looked up Cro-Fab and got varying prices - from $750 - $1500 per vial. They come in different strengths and they give the stronger doses first, then lower doses.

At those prices, the TOTAL cost for 12 vials would be in the $9,000 to $18,000 range. How on earth did they get away with charging $130,000??? That's over $10,800 per vial!

No offense, but did you by chance misplace the comma or did the price perhaps include the hospital ER treatment, etc., all that came along with treating your son? Two hospitals and three days in pediatric ICU would make sense. Otherwise, I would think your insurance company would contest those anti-venom fees with the hospital.

Regardless, glad you son is well. Has an impressive story to tell later in life.

Unfortunately, that is the cost. It was $11,622.90 per vial. I was shocked because everything I read online was stating prices in the range you said. I called my insurance and the hospital to confirm the price and it is correct. Thankfully we have great insurance. The total hospital bill was well over $160,000!!

Too many childhood trips to remember while visiting my grandparents who lived in DeBary, FL and then as an adult:
(May '97- Port Orleans), (Sept '99 -All Star Music), (May '01 - Shades of Green), (May '06 - Shades of Green), (May '09 - CBR, AKL, son's Disney snake bite adventure), (Jul '11 - Portofino Bay Hotel, Universal)
mickey family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 02:38 PM   #73
bgdiznee
Mouseketeer

Wow, what a horrible experience for your whole family. Everyone is correct, we need to remember there's alot of wild life in FL outside the animatronics.

Just this past July, after our Disney stay, we went to Clearwater to visit our DS. I was sitting on their couch, looking into the yard and here comes a four foot alligator walking down the side walk. They live a very residential area, with a lake blocks away from their house.

When we stayed at POFQ and rode the boat to DTD, the CM who drove the boat warned folks not to climb or sit on the rock retaining wall by the boat dock as it was "full of snakes". Most people jumped right off, but of course there's always one smart a$$ who said he didn't believe her. You really wouldn't wish a snake bite on anyone but...
bgdiznee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 02:40 PM   #74
Feralpeg
Diet coke lover
Can now visit the parks anytime
My DD, the movie star
Sean Bean...is he related to Mr. Bean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey family View Post
I don't think anyone outside of the hospital and Disney knew of the incident. I'm sure Disney does not want the bad press on something like this. Toward the end of our stay my son wanted to take the sling off so he wouldn't have to retell the story. People would see his sling and ask if he broke his arm. You should have seen the expressions when he told them what really happened.
Poisonous snake bites are fairly common in Florida. Once in awhile, we'll hear something on the news about a bite. Most of the time, the bites are not considered news worthy.

About a year ago, I was working in my yard. I was pulling weeds in my front flowerbed when an Orange County Sheriff pulled up and stopped. He asked me how I was doing. Then, he told me to be careful. There was a woman in my development who had been bitten by a pygmy rattlesnake a few days prior. It is just something we have to watch for. I always look before I leap in any overgrown area.

They said earlier this summer that water moccasins were more of a problem this year due to the amount of rain we had received. Maybe that is still the case. Glad the OP's son is okay!
Old 09-07-2009, 02:48 PM   #75
Feralpeg
Diet coke lover
Can now visit the parks anytime
My DD, the movie star
Sean Bean...is he related to Mr. Bean?

I just wanted to add that it is a good idea to keep your little ones out of any type of bushes or flowerbeds at WDW or any place in Florida. Not long ago, I spotted a banana spider in the UK area of Epcot. I was doing the Kim Possible Adventure with my daughter. A clue had sent us over behind the tea shop. The spider was near the next clue area. Banana spiders are not something you want to bite you. In the past, I saw a black widow on some bushes in another part of Epcot. Black widows are very common. I've killed several outside my home.

Any way, they can be anywhere there are a lot of bushes or flowers. It's just best not to go into the flowerbeds. I'm saying this, because I see it happen on a fairly regular basis. Not a good idea.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: