Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2009, 08:09 AM   #31
marius97
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasslipper View Post
Did you post this story before? I'm just wondering if I'm having serious deja vous, I could have sworn I read this same story word for word before. Hope your little one is ok.
Not just you, I read the same story a few months ago. I'd assume that it is the OP that just wants to remind people of the dangers of life even in the happiest place on earth.
marius97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 08:09 AM   #32
mama2ethan04
Mouseketeer

Wow. What a terrible story. I'm so sorry. I hope your son recovers fully.
mama2ethan04 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-07-2009, 08:17 AM   #33
kaysmommie
DIS Veteran

Thanks so much for sharing this with us. So happy that your DS is okay how very scary that your family had to go through this. We stayed at CBR last October and this easily could have been us. I will be making sure my kids don't take any shortcuts for sure!
Old 09-07-2009, 08:20 AM   #34
Microcell
No, no,no, those red signs with the word STOP on them are optional if they have a white border.
I hope you like Debbie Gibson? I did not and got busted at a DECA National Convention for skipping her concert!

I hope you DS is recovering well!

I have been in a situation were I was begging the doctors to tell me if my DD would be ok.. and they wouldn't! She was too young to ask thankfully or I would have fallen apart! I feel your pain and it is the worst feeling ever. All is well with DD now, but I never forget the horrible feeling I had. People say they are willing to die for thier child, and in theory I thought I might too, but looking at that little kid in a hospital bed taught me early on in parenting that I absolutely would.

Now I just wish I could take my Jack Russell with us.. she is a good snake hunter, we have been snake, skink, lizard and squirrel free for all the time we have had her!
Microcell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 08:36 AM   #35
danielle782001
DIS Veteran

Thank you for sharing your story...I am so sorry that your son had to suffer that way and that you as his parent had to deal with the horror...Did insurance cover your costs? I hope so.

DVC Members @ AKL & SSR
*? 1975- Off Property *Aug 1988- Off Property *July 2001- AKL/WL (Our Honeymoon) *Dec 2005-WL (MVMCP) *Dec 2006- BWV(MVMCP) *May 2007- BCV *Oct 2007- VWL Happy Birthday AJ! (MNSSHP) *Jan 2008-AKL (P&PP)*July 2009 SSR/AKL*Thanksgiving 2009-AKL *July 2010 AKL CL/BLT/Poly*July 2011 BLT & BC*June 2012 SSR*Dec 2012 SSR & WL*July 2013 AKL/BWV/DCL*June 2014 VGF & DCL
Me (40) DH (44)DS (11) DS (9)
danielle782001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 08:36 AM   #36
swald91
DIS Veteran

WOW! Your poor family... I can't imagine--and my kids like to run around outside our room at the Poly-lots of time barefoot!!!! I do hope you get to take another trip there & actually get to enjoy it. I hope he wouldn't be afraid to go there again... It's really too bad that states that have a poisonous snake problem can't have that anti-venum stuff available more readily (like in the resorts)-I know it's probably impossible especially at the cost!!!!! Although I think Disney probably does a good job at trying to keep them out-obviously it's still happens.

Grand Floridian first time in November!
Polynesian(CL) Dixie Landings & Wilderness Lodge
>>>> BEGIN SHAMROCK IMG CODE <<<<

<<<< END SHAMROCK IMG CODE >>>>>
Thanks BCV23!!!! (And MsStinkerbelle for your help!!)
swald91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 08:38 AM   #37
stacopp
Disney Dork

Thanks for sharing your story- I am so glad your son is ok!
stacopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 08:51 AM   #38
TitanBrett
Mouseketeer

Horrible bad luck, glad the little guy is OK. Pygmy rattlers are a big problem down here as well. Because they are small and look harmless children sometimes try to play with them with bad results.

Ron, I believe that is a picture of a Black Racer, which in FL urban legends keeps away Mocassins, though I have never read that stated definitively. Racers are non poisonous and incredibly FAST. you would literally have to RUN to catch one.
TitanBrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 08:58 AM   #39
IslandAdventure4
Salt Life Livin

OMG, my stomach just did a flip, I am so sorry to read this. I am glad he is going to be alright. I guess you just never know.

1/12 Saratoga Springs - 11/09 POR - 1/08 All Star Sports - 01/07 Saratoga Springs - 01/01 All Star Movies - 2/99 Caribbean Beach
IslandAdventure4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 08:59 AM   #40
Plumeria
California girl for life!

OMG! Your story gave me the chills! I am so glad he is going to be okay!
Old 09-07-2009, 09:00 AM   #41
Damien2213
Mouseketeer

First off I'm glad your little one is ok. I would have been beside myself if a child of mine got bit by a snake. I for one am scared to death of walking up on a poisonous and getting bit without me know it is there. There have been a couple of times I have walked up on a snake before I knew he was there. Not fun at all. I grew up in the Virginia backwoods and I'm telling you the Cotton Mouth is an every year thing. I was very weary of going into the woods while growing up.

As one of the above posters said having a black snake around your house can actually be a blessing. First off they aren't poisonous usually, they are very non aggressive unless protecting their nests/home/eggs, and they tend to keep worse snakes away. A black snake can and will give you a nasty bite though as I have seen so I wouldn't go messing with one thinking nothing will happen.
Damien2213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 09:03 AM   #42
larryz
Looking for the perfect vacation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey family View Post
The pain was excruciating and his hand began to swell.
OUCH for the son!

Quote:
I forgot to mention that the antivenin alone cost over $139, 000.00!!!!
Heart attack for the dad!

Seriously, that's valuable advice you shared, and I hope everyone takes note. I guess venomous snakes can be thought of as the "thorns" on the Disney "rose."
Old 09-07-2009, 09:07 AM   #43
LMO429
DIS Veteran

wow that is terrible! I hope your son is feeling better

LMO429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 09:11 AM   #44
Scrooge Jr
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I want to share what happened to my son on our recent trip to make everyone aware and to be very careful.

At the end of May we were staying at the Caribbean Resort. We had only been there for 2 hours when we headed toward the bus stop to go to dinner. We were walking on the sidewalk when my 7 year old son dropped a toy into the landscaping. The toy landed less than a foot from the sidewalk edge into some very manicured landscaping. He bent down to pick it up, his feet never leaving the sidewalk, when he suddenly said, "Daddy, Daddy, something just bit me!" At first we thought it was just a prickly bush or a lizard until my husband saw the snake. We immediately called for an ambulance and I scooped him up, praying all the while, and headed for the bus stop to wait for the ambulance. The pain was excruciating and his hand began to swell. He kept asking me if he was going to die. Imagine hearing a question like that from your child and not knowing the answer. He was bitten three times on the finger by a water moccasin. We were first taken to Celebration Hospital and then transferred to Florida Children's Hospital. He spent three days in the pediatric intensive care unit and received 12 vials of anitivenin. The swelling reached all the way to his shoulder, but antivenin was administered before it invaded the shoulder joint, or he might have lost his entire arm. Thankfully the antivenin worked, he survivied, and was able to keep his arm and finger. For several weeks he was sleeping over 14 hours a day, one of the side effects of the antivenin, and he still has some stiffness in his finger.

I know the chances of getting bitten by a venomous snake at Disney are very rare, but it can and did happen. I just want to make everyone aware. It is a natural wildlife area. Watch your children around the landscaping, keep them from making shortcuts through it. Would our experience keep us from Disney in the future? No, but I would definately be more cautious. Just be aware of your surroundings.
What section were you staying at while at the Caribbean Beach Resort?
Old 09-07-2009, 09:12 AM   #45
pocahontasgal87
~Disney Geek~

awwwwww,thank goodness ur son is fine now, thx for the warning! we plan to stay at CBR in the beggining of May, we will be very careful

Oct 1994(offsite) Oct 1996(offsite) Oct 1999(offsite) Oct 2002(offsite) Oct 2005(POR)
Sept 2008(CSR) May 2010(CBR) Sept 2012 (POR)

Sept 2014 we will be back at Carrinbean Beach Resort!!
pocahontasgal87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: