Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2009, 10:45 PM   #196
BlackNGold
Earning My Ears

I am glad to hear your son is O.K. That is very scary to think about...
BlackNGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 11:58 PM   #197
tankernav1
Earning My Ears

Wow! What a story! We've had a snake in our room---very very very small non-poisonous snake that they immediately came and took out. We were on the first floor and he really wasn't much bigger than an earthworm. Still.... So glad to hear your son is fine!
tankernav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-13-2009, 01:26 AM   #198
Idontwanttogrowup
Mouseketeer

Unhappy

I sort of wish I didnt start reading this because now I'm afraid to go to Disney but Im still going. I just want to know how often these snakes are seen around there?

How far from the grass & landscape should we stay away from?

Should we stay away from the lakes & boats too?

I definatley wont go into Tom Sawyers Island now.

Has anyone seen any on the rides like Jungle Cruise or Its a Small World?

I would hate to run into one on Pirates Of The Carribean since its dark & cant see anything.
December 7-19 2007: Surprise Trip-Stayed in All Star Music in Jazz.
April 14-May 3 2008: Anniversary/Bday Trip-Stayed in Pop Century. 60s Era.
Aug. 20- Sept 3rd- Stayed in All Star Sports. Surfing section, then Animal Kingdom Lodge for 1 night & the rest of the vacation Port Orleans:French Quarter
Nov 17- Dec 3rd 2008: Stayed at Pop Century. 70s Era
October 20-Nov 3: Stayed at Pop Century. 50s Era. Lady Building
February 8-24.....Stayed at All Star Sports.
July 2010: Disney Land. Stayed in Jolly Roger
Sept 2010: WDW. Stayed in All Star Sports
May 23-June 7th 2011: Stayed at Pop Century. My 35th Birthday & 10th Wedding Anniversary.

Upcoming Trips:
April 16-27: Staying at Pop Century. DH & I 11th Wedding Ann
Idontwanttogrowup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 09:52 AM   #199
Feralpeg
Diet coke lover
Can now visit the parks anytime
My DD, the movie star
Sean Bean...is he related to Mr. Bean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idontwanttogrowup View Post
I sort of wish I didnt start reading this because now I'm afraid to go to Disney but Im still going. I just want to know how often these snakes are seen around there?

How far from the grass & landscape should we stay away from?

Should we stay away from the lakes & boats too?

I definatley wont go into Tom Sawyers Island now.

Has anyone seen any on the rides like Jungle Cruise or Its a Small World?

I would hate to run into one on Pirates Of The Carribean since its dark & cant see anything.
If you stay on the paths, you should be fine. At the time that the OP's son was bitten, it was right after we had a very large amount of rain. The cottonmouths were pushed from their normal habitat due to high water. The were warning people on the local news about this and had reports of locals being bitten. Those conditions have changed.

Just don't reach into bushes. Stay on the paths. Do not go off into high grass. I'm not talking about the manicured lawns. Stay away from bodies of water such as lakes, ponds, etc. You should be just fine on the rides. The snakes really don't want to be in areas with high traffic. They definitely wouldn't like the treated water on the rides. I would say that Tom Sayer's Island would be fine if you stay on the paths and regularly maintained play areas.

For the most part, the snake most people see in Florida is the black racer. It is Florida's version of a garter snake. It is harmless.
Feralpeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 10:20 AM   #200
Lisa loves Pooh
DIS Veteran

Oh wow!

Thank you for the warning. I know we are more careful at Fort Wilderness b/c it is so woodsy, but I would have never thought to do that in a more manicured area.

I can't imagine how you guys felt at that time.

This warning goes for all of Florida though--we are a tropical climate and the critters are here. (We went to a beach in St. Augustine and saw a poisonous rattler of some kind--A lifeguard came to check it out and I said they should have warnings--he said they do b/c the dunes--that you never walk on and that are roped off---are full of them. Trust me when I say that they DO NOT have a poisonous snake warning at all!!!)

We were at MK one year an they had a gator in the water---They posted a CM nearby to make sure folks wouldn't feed it. I assume they must have caught it by now--but that darn gator was pretty tricky to catch.

CM's are always on the lookout for you--and if ever you spot anything, certainly let a CM know.
Lisa loves Pooh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 11:30 PM   #201
eeyoresnr
DIS Veteran

wow...I'm so glad your son is ok.. I'm not going to sleep well tonight, as my husband just posted a pic of a 3 foot cottonmouth they killed in the bay of his fire station this evening. I know this is Florida and we have snakes but I'm scared to death of any snake
1963-1999 Disneyland... Too many to list /Feb 2003 WDW All Star Sports- (Honeymoon- 1st WDW trip) / Jan 2004 WDW CSR (1st Anniversary)/ Aug 2004 Disneyland (Home-Sweet-Home) / Aug 2005 WDW CSR & POR / Dec 2005 CBR (MVMCP)/March 2006 WDW CSR (Braves / Dodgers) / April 2006 POR (Daughters 21st Birthday)Dec 2007 WDW ASMusic & Villas @WL (My Birthday & Our 5th Anniversary & 2 MVMCP)
Feb 2008 Pop Century / April 2008 ASMovies / Dec 2008 ASMusic, CR & OKW & AKL-(CL) MVMCP/Steam Train & Keys to the Kingdom Tours...
May 2009 CSR / Dec 2009 CSR & AKV Kidani SV / Bay Lake Towers / Boardwalk Villas (Backstage Magic Tour) / April 2010 AKV Kidani SV & FW Cabins / May 2010 CBR / Sept 2010 OKW / Dec 2010 CSR (My 50th Birthday)
April 2011 A.S. Sports/Bonnet Creek / May 2011 Bonnet Creek / Dec 2013 Bonnet Creek / March-April 2014 Bonnet Creek
Working on my ROAR! Jaxon's First trip to meet Mickey Mouse... Pre-Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2988090
eeyoresnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 11:38 PM   #202
TruBlu
I was very excited to see how yummy it looks!
You can do what we do and go to BOTH!
I could have been contender.... instead, I'm just itchy

I am so thankful your son is OK. How horrible that must have been for all of you. It just gives me chills!

We have seen 2 snakes on property - both times late at night on sidewalks. One at CSR and one at POFQ. I never even thought about them being in the landscaping. I will definitely make sure we are more aware of our surroundings in the future. Thank you so much for the post.

"Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate." -Captain Jack Sparrow

TruBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 11:43 PM   #203
d1gitman
Mad About The Mouse!

holy crap!

glad your son is doing well, i can't even imagine...

going to give my DS's an extra hug
d1gitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 11:49 PM   #204
crazedprincess
Mouseketeer

WOW! That is very scary! I'm so glad your son is ok! Now I'm scared!!!

April 2010: AKL OUR FIRST VISIT!
January 2011: AKL OUR SECOND VISIT!
September 2014: Boardwalk Inn OUR THIRD VISIT!

crazedprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 12:03 AM   #205
mamaprincess
DIS Veteran

Thank goodness he is alright! I can't imagine... Thank you for posting this thread. I will be keeping a close eye on my children.
mamaprincess is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: