Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2009, 05:50 PM   #151
eeyorethegreat
DIS Veteran

I know people are all jittery about going to Florida and the risk of venomous snakes there but it might help (or not) to know that the only two states considered to be venomous snake free are Alaska and Maine. The rest of the 50 have venomous snakes so really you could run into a venomous snake in your home state, you don't have to go to Florida for it. Now, you might naturally see more snakes in Fla just because of the climate but aside from those two states no state is free of "venom".
Old 09-08-2009, 06:20 PM   #152
1bigwdwfan
Trying not to step on the Mome Raths.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessMonkey View Post
Oh my goodness. I am glad to hear that your son is okay after that incident and didn't lose a limb. How scary!

I am sorry to ask, but I am curious... Who pays for the treatment if this happens--I would imagine something like this is covered by insurance, right? I would feel bad if this happened to an uninsured family.
My friend's husband was bitten by a snake last summer. His insurance company denied the antivenem. Can you believe it?

Everybody's got a laughing place, a laughing place to go-o-o.
Take your frown, turn it upside down, & you'll find yours I know!
1bigwdwfan is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-08-2009, 06:38 PM   #153
Brad Bishop
Mouseketeer

[QUOTE=amzking;33475017]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnastasiaTremaine View Post
DUDE, $140,000 FOR AN ANTI-VENOM?!?!?!

What the heck is anti-venom made out of, magical unicorn umbilical cord blood? The snake bite part is absolutely horrible, terrifying...but that "they" would charge as much as we paid for our first home to help your kid...talk about over a barrel. That is absolutely insane.
QUOTE]

From what I understand, unless things have changed in the last few years antivenin is actually made from the snakes own venom, so you have to keep snakes and milk the venom to get antivenom. Hence the cost.

The child would have been treated regardless of the ability to pay, thats the law with emergencies.

I am so glad your son is okay, and thank you for the warning.
That $140,000 also covers the liability costs if something doesn't go right. It might not even be the anti-venom maker's fault but if a child dies you know they'll be named in the suit.
Brad Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 11:28 AM   #154
mickey family
Mouseketeer

Thanks to everyone for their well wishes for my son. Again, I posted his story to just make everyone aware. I had actually read the thread about a snake at CR and was a little on alert before our trip. Never in a million years did I think reaching less than a foot off the sidewalk to pick up a toy would result in a snake bite. His nickname is now snake boy.

Too many childhood trips to remember while visiting my grandparents who lived in DeBary, FL and then as an adult:
(May '97- Port Orleans), (Sept '99 -All Star Music), (May '01 - Shades of Green), (May '06 - Shades of Green), (May '09 - CBR, AKL, son's Disney snake bite adventure), (Jul '11 - Portofino Bay Hotel, Universal)
mickey family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 03:59 PM   #155
Tinkerbellie16
Certified Disneyaholic

Thank you for posting this warning! I am glad to hear that your son recovered and appreciate your honesty in reporting this. It will help me to be extra careful when I am there with my family.

Tell Snake Boy he is a DIS legend

6/14 YC 10/13 Poly 5/13 Poly & BC 10/12 Poly 7/12 CSR/BWV 5/12 CBR 3/12 DL 10/11 Poly 5/11 VWL 9/10 Poly 3/10 Dolphin 4/09 Poly 4/08 BC 5/07 Poly/Cruise/ASMo 7/06 AKL 7/00 POR 7/98 DisIns 3/98 Off 7/96 POR +
Tinkerbellie16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 05:09 PM   #156
Kelblum
DIS Veteran

So glad your Son is ok!! Your poor family!!
Old 09-09-2009, 05:34 PM   #157
thebeesknees
DIS Veteran

I'm glad your son is OK now. How scary it must have been for all of you! It's a good reminder to me to keep my kids on the sidewalks at all times, and to keep an eye on where we are walking so we don't disturb anything.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:22 PM   #158
k5thbeatle
DIS Veteran

Glad to hear your son is well and thanks for sharing.

Just to add a bit as a warning for golfers be careful when looking for stray shots. On more than one occasion while golfing at Disney I have seen people just reach into bushes and plants with bare hands looking for an errant shot.

k5thbeatle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 06:45 PM   #159
Sammie
DIS Veteran

Thanks for sharing and glad to hear your son is doing well.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 07:32 PM   #160
LauraJean
Mouseketeer

I am so so glad your son is okay! What a thing to have happen! omg!

Also before reading this I never would ever have been worried about a snake or a spider! I won't be letting my kids roam free off any paths. That freaks me out what happened to your son!

The Canadian in me is saying I don't care about snow anymore and the cold! I will never talk bad about snow again lol!
Old 09-09-2009, 08:43 PM   #161
mickey family
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbellie16 View Post

Tell Snake Boy he is a DIS legend

Tinkerbellie, at one point when he was feeling really bad and very sad, my oldest daughter told him he was now a legend. It is amazing the smile that brought to his face. We had dinner at Chefs de France after he was feeling better and had the waiter bring him out this huge blue, stuffed snake we had bought, on a dessert plate. May sound a little twisted, but he loved it.

Too many childhood trips to remember while visiting my grandparents who lived in DeBary, FL and then as an adult:
(May '97- Port Orleans), (Sept '99 -All Star Music), (May '01 - Shades of Green), (May '06 - Shades of Green), (May '09 - CBR, AKL, son's Disney snake bite adventure), (Jul '11 - Portofino Bay Hotel, Universal)
mickey family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 09:14 PM   #162
rie'smom
"Always let your conscience be your guide."
I cannot look at my hamburger after I've taken a bite
Toilet paper must come over the top!

My friend's daughter was bitten by a snake at CBR a few years ago. They were walking to the pool and she walked right near a flower bed. Bethany was in the hospital for a few days too.
I've posted this several times over the years as a warning:
My cousin is an ER doctor and he said they see people all the time because of snake bites that happen in a garden setting. The OP's experience was with a water mocassin but pygmy rattlers also like to cool off in mulch. Please keep your kids away from flower beds, pampas grass, bushes, etc.
rie'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 09:53 PM   #163
MaryKatesMom
DIS Veteran

I have been unable to do the Lazy River in any theme park since, at TL, I looked to my left and swimming like crazy is a snake.
MaryKatesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 09:57 PM   #164
Melanie230
Ready to retire in Florida. Trading my Mommy title for a Mummy title!

That is just terrible. Thank you for sharing your story. That is just a horrible thing to happen to your baby. I am glad that he is ok.
March 2006 Royal Pacific; June 2007 Hard Rock Hotel; October 2008 Hard Rock Hotel; October 2009 Pop Century; October 2010 Pop Century; October 2011 Hard Rock Hotel; September/October 2012 Portofino Bay Hotel
Melanie230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 12:14 AM   #165
TiaMaria
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 720L View Post
On our trip this past June, we were sitting in the very back of a Disney bus. I'm in the seat next to the window. All of the sudden, a HUGE spider crawls on to the wall next to me. I jump onto my DH's lap, yell to my daughter to move because the spider was crawling on the window towards her. She sees it, screams & people on the bus are looking at us like we are crazy. I was so scared I could barely talk..until I got the word SPIDER! out..and people saw it on the window. The whole bus jumped to the opposite side of the bus. This thing was huge. I believe it was a Banana Spider..I googled it and it looked similar. It definitely had yellow in it and I kid you not it was as big as my hand (with it's legs-- the body was probably the size of my thumb). Even the men on the bus were scared to kill it. When we got off the bus the driver asked us what the commotion was about and we told her...but couldn't find the spider to show her ..so I don't know what she did about it. The rest of the trip I was sweating riding the buses. What I read it doesn't sound like they are poisonous?? I don't know how that thing got on the bus without someone seeing it...it really was huge.

And at night.....no one would have been able to see it either!!!!!!!!
TiaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: