Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2009, 11:54 AM   #136
DutchsMommy
I did the Pirate Name thing
'The Angry Cuban' made me snort

Glad to hear he is OK! I am guilty of forgetting about wildlife, now that I think about it. DH and DS were all over the 'forest/shrubs' surrounding the bus stop at WL on our first trip, and often much around off the paths. I think I will just mention it to DH before our next trip...better safe than sorry!
Old 09-08-2009, 11:56 AM   #137
29apr00
Momma to a Princess and a little Prince!

OMG how scary for your son and your family! i'm so glad he's ok!

Thank you so much for posting....i never in a million years would have worried about snakes! We are heading out to Ft Wilderness in December...and were very excited about the trails and woods and all the grassy places to play! Not anymore! they'll be lucky to get me out of the cabin now!

29apr00 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-08-2009, 12:26 PM   #138
WGJackie
New to Disboards!

I'm very sorry to hear about your son. Unfortunately snakes are a part of florida's atmosphere. There's simply no way to keep all the snakes out of WDW. It isn't covered by a bio dome of sorts like most people say. Glad your son is okay!

Going to EPCOT for Food & Wine '09. Just not sure which act to see yet!

http://www.jackiecast.blogspot.com
WGJackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 12:31 PM   #139
TitanBrett
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29apr00 View Post
We are heading out to Ft Wilderness in December...and were very excited about the trails and woods and all the grassy places to play! Not anymore! they'll be lucky to get me out of the cabin now!
Do not be scared, be cautious. Florida has literally thousands of miles of trails, there is even a "greenway" that you can walk, run or bike that crosses the whole state, 110 miles from Gulf to Ocean. These trails are used all the time and people that are cautious and stay alert rarely if ever have problems. Realistically, people who are not cautious and who do not stay alert rarely have problems either.
TitanBrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 01:20 PM   #140
preciousmama45
Truly Devoted.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey family View Post
I want to share what happened to my son on our recent trip to make everyone aware and to be very careful.

At the end of May we were staying at the Caribbean Resort. We had only been there for 2 hours when we headed toward the bus stop to go to dinner. We were walking on the sidewalk when my 7 year old son dropped a toy into the landscaping. The toy landed less than a foot from the sidewalk edge into some very manicured landscaping. He bent down to pick it up, his feet never leaving the sidewalk, when he suddenly said, "Daddy, Daddy, something just bit me!" At first we thought it was just a prickly bush or a lizard until my husband saw the snake. We immediately called for an ambulance and I scooped him up, praying all the while, and headed for the bus stop to wait for the ambulance. The pain was excruciating and his hand began to swell. He kept asking me if he was going to die. Imagine hearing a question like that from your child and not knowing the answer. He was bitten three times on the finger by a water moccasin. We were first taken to Celebration Hospital and then transferred to Florida Children's Hospital. He spent three days in the pediatric intensive care unit and received 12 vials of anitivenin. The swelling reached all the way to his shoulder, but antivenin was administered before it invaded the shoulder joint, or he might have lost his entire arm. Thankfully the antivenin worked, he survivied, and was able to keep his arm and finger. For several weeks he was sleeping over 14 hours a day, one of the side effects of the antivenin, and he still has some stiffness in his finger.

I know the chances of getting bitten by a venomous snake at Disney are very rare, but it can and did happen. I just want to make everyone aware. It is a natural wildlife area. Watch your children around the landscaping, keep them from making shortcuts through it. Would our experience keep us from Disney in the future? No, but I would definately be more cautious. Just be aware of your surroundings.
My family is so relieved to know that your son will be okay!!!!!

preciousmama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 01:33 PM   #141
AbbyPan
"...oh he's a codfish, a codfish, a codfish..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey family View Post
I want to share what happened to my son on our recent trip to make everyone aware and to be very careful.

At the end of May we were staying at the Caribbean Resort. We had only been there for 2 hours when we headed toward the bus stop to go to dinner. We were walking on the sidewalk when my 7 year old son dropped a toy into the landscaping. The toy landed less than a foot from the sidewalk edge into some very manicured landscaping. He bent down to pick it up, his feet never leaving the sidewalk, when he suddenly said, "Daddy, Daddy, something just bit me!" At first we thought it was just a prickly bush or a lizard until my husband saw the snake. We immediately called for an ambulance and I scooped him up, praying all the while, and headed for the bus stop to wait for the ambulance. The pain was excruciating and his hand began to swell. He kept asking me if he was going to die. Imagine hearing a question like that from your child and not knowing the answer. He was bitten three times on the finger by a water moccasin. We were first taken to Celebration Hospital and then transferred to Florida Children's Hospital. He spent three days in the pediatric intensive care unit and received 12 vials of anitivenin. The swelling reached all the way to his shoulder, but antivenin was administered before it invaded the shoulder joint, or he might have lost his entire arm. Thankfully the antivenin worked, he survivied, and was able to keep his arm and finger. For several weeks he was sleeping over 14 hours a day, one of the side effects of the antivenin, and he still has some stiffness in his finger.

I know the chances of getting bitten by a venomous snake at Disney are very rare, but it can and did happen. I just want to make everyone aware. It is a natural wildlife area. Watch your children around the landscaping, keep them from making shortcuts through it. Would our experience keep us from Disney in the future? No, but I would definately be more cautious. Just be aware of your surroundings.
I'm so glad to hear that your little boy is doing okay!!!

Just wanted to add that we were there just this past week and on more than one occasion I saw CM's looking for snakes. One of them being at the World Showcase next to the UK tea garden, across from it actually. 2 CM's were walking around with the metal sticks (sorry, don't know the name of it). I didn't realize there where snakes in wdw parks!!!

On a separate occasion my DH and DBIL saw something in the bushes at the WL. They thought it was just a lizard but later on someone in the area said they saw a snake in that same spot.
Old 09-08-2009, 01:37 PM   #142
niasmom
Earning My Ears

Glad he is ok.
niasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 01:45 PM   #143
MagicMomentsMom
Mouseketeer

I'm so glad he's doing ok--I can't imagine the fear, poor little guy. We live in the mtns, so seeing snakes is common, but I would have never dreamed that they would be at WDW--I figured that they would all be scared away by all the activity. Thanks for letting us know, I'll keep a close eye on my DD when we go in Dec!
HUGS
Old 09-08-2009, 01:48 PM   #144
Golf4food
Mouseketeer
Male pirate last time I checked... yep, still male
Tazicket will always be my sexy penguin

Florida is not a tropical paradise, it is a deadly swamp upon which we have used modern engineering to build a civilization that 200 years ago couldn't exist on the same ground due to diseases, insects, snakes, water, etc. Of the seven species of deadly snakes in the USA there are eight in Florida. Same for spiders and stinging insects.

Always a good idea to keep you eyes open in Florida no matter where you are - even the cities are built in "their" territory.
Nov 2013 - Offiste; Sept 2013-Offsite; Apr 2013-POFQ; Jan 2013-POR; Dec 2012-POFQ:Baby's First WDW Trip; March 2011-Offiste; Nov/Dec 2010-AKL/CSR; May 2010-POR Pre-Dining Review-Dining Report; September 2009-ASMu & DxDP Dining Report; December 2008-POR; September 2008-ASM; June 2007-One day surprise park hopping extravaganza for DW; December 2006-CBR; March 2005-CBR; Many visits as a child

Golf4food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 02:07 PM   #145
teekee2
Earning My Ears

Oh my goodness...reading your story just caused shivers to go up and down my entire body! Wow!! I can not even begin to imagine what you went through. I'm just very glad to hear that your son is okay!! Thanks for the insight!!
"Childishness? I think it's the equivalent of never losing your sense of humor. I mean, there's a certain something that you retain. It's the equivalent of not getting so stuffy that you can't laugh at others." —Walt Disney
teekee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 02:15 PM   #146
princessmom29
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf4food View Post
Florida is not a tropical paradise, it is a deadly swamp upon which we have used modern engineering to build a civilization that 200 years ago couldn't exist on the same ground due to diseases, insects, snakes, water, etc. Of the seven species of deadly snakes in the USA there are eight in Florida. Same for spiders and stinging insects.

Always a good idea to keep you eyes open in Florida no matter where you are - even the cities are built in "their" territory.
Native Americans managed to survive in these "unlivable" conditions for a long time before Europeans arrived and tried to "fix" everything. It is all about being aware of and respecting nature. I don't bother the snakes, and they don't bother me. I have lived with them all my life and been fine. That and the misquitos, wasps, yellow flies, posionous spiders, and other wildlife to be found all around me. If you respect their space and steer clear of them you will be fine. Ignore them at your peril.
princessmom29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 03:41 PM   #147
MomBoyd
DIS Veteran

MomBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 04:03 PM   #148
trickiwoo
Talk Disney To Me!

Thanks for the warning!!! That is so scary! I am so glad to hear he's okay!
trickiwoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 04:29 PM   #149
D. Crockett
King Of The Wild Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonFaerie View Post
Don't forget the bears. The last time we went to Cades Cove, I just stuck in traffic in the mountains. There was a mama bear and her cubs maybe 20 feet off of the road. People were stopping in the middle of the road to get out and get closer to get pictures. I was like, DUDE! Mama bear! Do you really want to get attacked? Idiots! When dh worked at one of the hotels in Gatlinburg, they used to have bears out behind it all the time.
The bears have been more active this summer than years past. The dumpsters at my apartment were raided a few times, and we even had a 400+ pound male running around the parkway one evening back in May. Luckily, they have not been aggressive toward people (knock on wood).

As far as people getting out of cars or approaching the animals, the law has a no tolerance policy and has been fining (and in some rare cases, arresting) people who do this. I applaud the park rangers for enforcing this rule with an iron fist---for the safety of the animals, and tourists alike.

p.s. Always glad to bump into a fellow Gat neighbor.
D. Crockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 05:08 PM   #150
copperbrick
DIS Veteran

Thank you for the warning!

I'm wondering if Disney . . . or any Florida resort property for that matter, takes extra precautions in the landscaped areas around the outdoor whirlpool spas.

I know that at the Animal Kingdom Lodge there is a lot of foliage around some areas of the outdoor spa -- so close that your head practically touches it if you sit in just the right spot. . . I remember thinking last year that it would be so creepy if a snake crept out of it and into the water.

Does anyone know if they do something, anything, to keep snakes away from the whirlpools? Are there such things as precautionary measures for snakes by whirlpools?
WDW 2008 Animal Kingdom Lodge (youngest DD and me)
Oct. 2009 Animal Kingdom Lodge: DH and me
Coming Coming Sept/Oct. 2010: Animal Kingdom Lodge, 2 bedroom villa, family of 5 adults

DINING: GLUTEN-FREE FOR ME

[img]http://www.********************/timers/tickers/imfhxpxtz4pw3vu7.png[/img]
copperbrick is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: