Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2009, 03:57 PM   #1
jenjen9902
Earning My Ears

Will Disney be bringing back Captain EO???

I have heard on several sites that the Disney Parks are planning the return of Captain EO, in honor of the late great Michael Jackson. I hope this is true. Please let this be true. I NEVER liked Honey I shrunk the audience, but it was dealt with because it was there. I think most would agree with me. Does anyone have any evidence that would suggest this is true??

Last edited by jenjen9902; 09-03-2009 at 04:08 PM.
jenjen9902 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 04:26 PM   #2
TDSAXX
Mouseketeer

Considering he's an alleged child molester who died from a drug overdose. I would think it's highly unlikely that a family-oriented company like Disney would want to still be associated with him.
TDSAXX is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-03-2009, 07:13 PM   #3
jlewisinsyr
DIS Veteran

VERY, VERY unlikely, I'd expect to see a 5th and 6th Gate open in Orlando first.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:39 PM   #4
Horace Horsecollar
DVC members represent a unique category of Disney guests
The results can be accurate to within 2%

It's only a rumor now, but it could become official news next week at the D23 Expo in Anaheim.

The rumor is that Disneyland, not Epcot, will replace "Honey I Shrunk the Audience" with "Captain EO" for a limited run. Al Lutz of MiceAge, who seems to have a genuine network of insiders feeding inside information to him, reported back on 7/28 that Disneyland management has been discussing "a return engagement of Captain EO to the Magic Eye Theater in Tomorrowland." See http://miceage.micechat.com/allutz/al072809a.htm

Unlike some other rumor sites, I don't think Lutz has ever claimed that it's a done deal.

It wouldn't be done because Disneyland wants to "honor" an "alleged child molester who died from a drug overdose." It would be that they can bring a lot of guests (and their wallets) into the park with an entertaining attraction that the talented Michael Jackson made around the peak of his popularity and ability (before his sad decline).

"Honey I Shrunk the Audience" was great the first time, back when the first two "Honey I Shrunk..." films were recent box office hits. But it's old and tired now, and it doesn't stand up to repeat viewings.

I tend to be very skeptical about rumors, but the one about Captain EO returning to Disneyland for a limited run is believable.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:17 PM   #5
TDSAXX
Mouseketeer

It's still not good from a PR standpoint to associate your company with an alleged child molester and drug addict just to make a few extra bucks.
TDSAXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 11:03 PM   #6
Quilter007
Mouseketeer

Yeah, disgusting alleged child molester & drug user.....yuck!!! I'm not happy about the Captain EO Rumors either. Saw it then -- don't remember it being that fabulous either.....sigh!!
Quilter007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 11:39 PM   #7
Horace Horsecollar

Disney's D23 Expo in Anaheim next week will have an exhibit devoted to Captain Eo.

Also, Disney's D23 website had an article about Captain Eo in July. See http://d23.disney.go.com/articles/07...CaptainEo.html

I'm not mentioning these things as some sort of proof the Captain EO is returning to Disneyland. I'm just pointing out that Disney (at least the D23 corporate part of Disney) is not distancing itself from Michael Jackson and Captain EO.
Old 09-04-2009, 11:47 AM   #8
manning
Just for that I have requested it be left open!!!
We each have a sore spot....My butt and her right foot

Let the guy rest in peace forever, and I mean forever.
manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 12:52 PM   #9
MJMcBride
Barely lost is barely found

I liked Captain EO more the HISTA anyway. I would hope it comes to Epcot. Or better yet, a whole new movie

WWW.JAMBOEVERYONE.COM

Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom
MJMcBride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 04:21 PM   #10
Dznefreek
R.I.P Bruce

Alleged. . . . not convicted.

Let us not forget that Tim Allen ( the voice of Buzz) had a long history of drug abuse and did jail time among other things . . . .

On 2 October 1978, Tim Allen Dick was arrested in Detroit for possession of a pound and a half of cocaine. Under Michigan law, he could have been sentenced to life in prison. Instead he turned state's evidence -- the legal term for ratting on your cohorts. Allen reportedly fingered at least 21 co-conspirators, and in exchange, he was sentenced to just five years under the more lenient (at that time) federal law. He was paroled after 2½ years, and after dropping his last name, he has become one of America's most successful ex-cons gone legit.
Also in 1997, Allen was in an auto accident in Studio City, California, and injured a 72-year-old retired librarian named Henry Armstrong. Armstrong told the National Enquirer that Allen "was bleary-eyed and unsteady on his feet, and he never uttered a word, never mind said sorry." Allen sued the old man for $12 million, complaining that Allen's "business as a well-known and well-respected actor, entertainer, author, commercial spokesperson and product endorser has been damaged." Allen dropped the lawsuit two years later, as a "humanitarian gesture" when he learned that Armstrong was suffering from brain cancer.

Then there's Lindsay Lohan. . . . . . . .
Old 09-04-2009, 05:17 PM   #11
jlewisinsyr
DIS Veteran

Also, I thought in this country we were innocent until proven guilty. And wasn't he aquitted of charges.
Old 09-04-2009, 05:40 PM   #12
DC7800
DIS Veteran

I'd actually prefer to see Magic Journeys again over Captain EO. Either way, Honey I Shrink the Audience needs replacement.
DC7800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 06:29 PM   #13
Horace Horsecollar

Al Lutz at MiceAge (http://miceage.micechat.com/) has an editor's note at the top of the page today (9/4/09).

According to Lutz, HISTA at Disneyland will be closed next week from Tuesday through Thursday to prepare a private screening of Captain EO for Jay Rasulo and other executives, complete with Captain EO special effects.

If Rasulo approves, he'll then tell his D23 Expo audience on 9/12/09 that Captain EO will be back in January 2010.
Old 09-05-2009, 07:23 AM   #14
Uncleromulus

DIS Veteran

I agree with DC7800--bring back Magic Journeys. (To Disneyworld). EO was mildly entertaining at best.

If I want to remember Michael Jackson I can always play my
Michael Jackson CDs--if I had any.
Vacation Club since 1992
Next trip-- Fantasy Cruise on 11/1 14!!
60 previous visits to WDW!!!

Last edited by Uncleromulus; 09-07-2009 at 01:48 PM.
Uncleromulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 08:54 AM   #15
GOLFDISNEY72
Mouseketeer

I think the if they are going to replace the current show it should be with something new.
2000 Nov Off Grounds
2006 Nov Movies
2007 Nov POR
2008 June Off Grounds/Oct POR
2009 April Pop/May POR/ Oct Dolphin-POR
2010 Feb POR/April POR/Sept POR/Oct Dolphin-POR
2011 March POR/May Dolphin/Nov POR
2012 Feb POP/July Dolphin/Nov POR
2013 Feb POR/May YC/Oct Buena Vista/Nov Dolphin
2014 April POR/Oct Pop
GOLFDISNEY72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread