Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2009, 01:11 PM   #1
cccory
Mouseketeer

Stateroom #6154 or #7636 hc room

I have a son in a wheelchair and was wondering if anyone had any pictures or comments on the difference between handicap stateroom #6154 and #7636. This is for the Disney Wonder.

Thank you in advace!!
cccory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 02:29 PM   #2
goofieslonglostsis
DIS Veteran

Cory, one difference you'll notice when checking out the deckplan is the balcony. They are of different shape and the ones on deck 6 is a bit deeper. You can find pics of either the 6154 or 6654 balcony by searching the DIS.

Have yet to cruise (only 23 more days, whoohoo!) so can't show you own pics yet. Didn't look to deaply into the cat. 5's, did into the cat. 6.

Biggest differences; 6154 has a kingbed that can be turned into 2 singles* and only a shower. 6654 has a kingbed that can not be seperated and a tub and shower. 6154 has a nice portview when in port, whereas 6654 is supposed to offer a nice view of pulling into Castaway Cay.

* don't even ask! I'm cruising with a friend, so we looked into the option of seperating the king bed into 2 beds so the fold out wouldn't have to be used. Was told it is an option in 6154 but not in 6654. Didn't matter though, no choice left as by then 6154 was booked.
Does it really work that way? Doors closing, windows opening, can you really allways count on that? I'll just continue to wish, hope and pray to make sure. Knock on wood, one, twice and trice. Still can't believe it, I really get to visit Mickey again..........

Always keep wishing, dreaming and hoping.

Last edited by lbgraves; 09-25-2009 at 07:41 AM. Reason: removed directions to find filtered site
goofieslonglostsis is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-03-2009, 06:09 PM   #3
justmestace

Thinks California needs Disney cruise ships!
Has snorkeled all over the Bahamas and the Caribbean

ANYWAY.......6154 should be less expensive, and as stated before, the balcony is really, really big. Much bigger than it looks on the diagrams.

Last edited by lbgraves; 09-25-2009 at 07:39 AM. Reason: quoted edited post & responded
justmestace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 06:37 AM   #4
CastMember 02
Mouseketeer

6154 for sure

This is the room we always stay in always GREAT BALCONY

2007 4 Night Bahamas-Disney Wonder
2009 7 Night Western Caribbean-Disney Magic
2010 4 Night DVC Members Cruise-Disney Wonder
2011 7 Night Mexican Riviera-Disney Wonder
2012 7 Night Mexican Riveria-Disney Wonder
2014 14 Night Westbound Transatlantic-Disney Magic
CastMember 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 07:11 AM   #5
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofieslonglostsis View Post
Biggest differences; 6154 has a kingbed that can be turned into 2 singles* and only a shower. 6654 has a kingbed that can not be seperated and a tub and shower. 6154 has a nice portview when in port, whereas 6654 is supposed to offer a nice view of pulling into Castaway Cay.
My mom and I shared 6654 in Jan. 2008, and we had the beds separated. It was nice to have both a HA shower and a regular tub/shower. While the room and HUGE balcony were great, it was not easy for my mom to maneuver down the long, twisting hallway with her electric wheelchair - especially when housekeeping carts were in the way twice a day.
NancyIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 07:40 AM   #6
Eeyore'sthebest
DIS Veteran
Not So Tagless in NJ
They don't call them crackberries for nothing!
talk about chafing!

OP - Sent you a PM.
Old 09-25-2009, 07:41 AM   #7
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

There are pictures of these rooms linked in the VIRTUAL STATEROOM TOUR that is here on the DIS. The link is in the DIS DCL FAQ thread in my signature under the heading STATEROOMS. You will find pictures for every category that is on the Magic & Wonder. They are sorted by the old deck plans but each room number is listed for each post. The special room set ups such as HA, SPH, SV and sideways 11s are noted as well.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 08:00 AM   #8
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Just got back from the Wonder in 7136, which I believe is the mirror image of 7636. My friend uses a wheelchair. We had the beds separated.

The cabin is HUGE. It is the size of a normal hotel room rather than the typical DCL cabin. The bathroom area was likewise huge, but did not have a tub. It had a roll in shower with a shower stool the flipped down from the wall. Grab bars everywhere. There was a drain the full length of the shower and another just inside the bathroom door--these were very effective in preventing water from getting out of the shower area.

The desk was accessible which means no drawers under it and no stool (the regular desks have drawers on one or both sides depending on cabin... and a stool for seating. THere is no drawer in the center of the desk either, so the normal contents of that drawer will be placed on the counter area for you.

The balcony is large, but much of it is not useful space. There is a ramp allowing the chair to get in and out, that extends to a raised area..steeper slope (but only 3-4 inches) to the main deck level...but the entire balcony excluding the raised area was wet most of the time...not a little wet, but 2 inches of standing water. It looked like when they hosed off the upper decks, the water ran down to our balcony. We'd noticed this on previous cruises when our balcony was a little wet, but this was way more than a little. It didn't rain during our cruise and we were way too high for this to have been waves splashing (besides, it wasn't rough). I don't have another explanation as to where the water was from. Thus, the useful part of the balcony was about the size of the normal balcony.

It has the little entry way where you turned to get into the door. No problem...except when someone placed something like luggage in the hall. We were on w 3 night bounceback cruise, so we had luggage outside the doors on day one and evening 3. Both times, I had to move luggage in order to get the chair in.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 12:45 PM   #9
cccory
Mouseketeer

Thank you for ALL your information. It's so hard to pick the right room. I wish they were all the same, so we wouldn't have this decision. I just hope I picked the right one for my family. We went with #6654. I am going to try to take pictures of the deck 7's cabins, so I will know in the future.

Has anyone heard if they are going to put some handicap cabins on the sides of the new ships, so you will be able to see the water from your wheelchair? That is the only problem with these aft ones, you can't see the water. I LOVE being in the aft, but my son cannot see anything from his wheelchair.

Once again, thanks to all who provided this useful information.
cccory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 01:15 PM   #10
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccory View Post
Thank you for ALL your information. It's so hard to pick the right room. I wish they were all the same, so we wouldn't have this decision. I just hope I picked the right one for my family. We went with #6654. I am going to try to take pictures of the deck 7's cabins, so I will know in the future.

Has anyone heard if they are going to put some handicap cabins on the sides of the new ships, so you will be able to see the water from your wheelchair? That is the only problem with these aft ones, you can't see the water. I LOVE being in the aft, but my son cannot see anything from his wheelchair.

Once again, thanks to all who provided this useful information.
I don't know what DCL plans for the new ships, but I hope they put the HA cabins near the mid-ships elevators, where they are on most ships.
NancyIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 01:43 PM   #11
DisneyCruiser83
You jump, I jump, Jack!

I note that sentiment exactly (along with a few other major changes they need to make for disabled cruisers) on all of my feedback reports to DCL. I am sure they have the plans set for the new ships, but hopefully if enough people speak up, they will incorporate it into the deck plans. It is AWFUL to go down those tiny hallways to get to your stateroom.

"The sea is His for He made it and His hands formed the dry land." Psalm 95:5
DisneyCruiser83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 07:14 PM   #12
dan and scott
DIS Veteran

We have stayed in both--but 6654 has a JUUUUUMMMMBBBO verandah and would be more easy to navigate than 7636 which you have a small hill to get into the shower only bathroom. 6654 probably could hold comfortably 10 people on the verandah with room to spare. Both rooms are very roomy but 6654 is the King of HC rooms.

Scott
Old 09-29-2009, 01:40 PM   #13
goofieslonglostsis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyIL View Post
My mom and I shared 6654 in Jan. 2008, and we had the beds separated. It was nice to have both a HA shower and a regular tub/shower. While the room and HUGE balcony were great, it was not easy for my mom to maneuver down the long, twisting hallway with her electric wheelchair - especially when housekeeping carts were in the way twice a day.
Was that on the Wonder? I'm on the Magic right now, in 6654. They tried to seperate the beds (didn't want to believe me ) and sure enough; found it couldn't be split as eventhough there are 2 one person mattrasses on it, the frame is one solid frame.

OP, if you want pics of 6654 (mostly the same as 6154), sent me a PM. Got a plenty of them.
Does it really work that way? Doors closing, windows opening, can you really allways count on that? I'll just continue to wish, hope and pray to make sure. Knock on wood, one, twice and trice. Still can't believe it, I really get to visit Mickey again..........

Always keep wishing, dreaming and hoping.

goofieslonglostsis is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: