Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2009, 10:05 AM   #1
figmentgirl
DIS Veteran

how did you surprise your kids with a trip to WDW?

we are going to surprise the kids at Christmas and tell them we're going to the Poly in March
We haven't decided how to do it and would love to hear other stories of surprising the kiddos!!

October 2010 Dolphin
March 2010 Poly
May 2009 Poly
2005 YC
2004 Celebration Hotel
1996 CBR
1994 Poly
1990 Poly
Many trips as a child...
figmentgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 10:09 AM   #2
MickeyNicki
It is pretty darn sad when a valet picks you out as a big Boma eater

We took our nieces in January...we surprised them with it at Xmas. Bought these cute little Mickey Mouse gift card Xmas tree ornaments and we bought them Disney gift cards....hung them on the tree and told them to find it.

They thought it was for the Disney Store.

Then we bought them Disney sweatshirts. They thought it was for the chilly winter mornings we get in WDW.

Then we gave them each some Disney pins for trading. They thought it was for their collections.

Then we put a Disney planning video in 2 separate boxes, wrapped in bigger boxes and bigger boxes etc etc and when they finally got down to the small wrapped package they thought it was a movie or something .... until they opened it and said:

WE ARE GOING TO DISNEY IN 4 WEEKS!

They were thrilled out of their minds and it was Disney chatter for the rest of the night and the 4 weeks leading up to our trip
MickeyNicki is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-03-2009, 10:18 AM   #3
PoohsFan1
DIS Veteran

When we went this past March, we surprised our kids. Since my DH and I were celebrating our 10 yr. anniversary, we kept telling them that mom and dad were going on a special trip and that they were going to be spending the week with grandma and grandpa (which live 3 hours from our home). We were all going to go on a plane and fly over to their city and then mom and dad were going to go off from there. Well when we arrived in Orlando we sat them down at the airport and told them they had a choice....we said they can either go to Grandma's house or go with us, so my wise older DD asked us where are we going before deciding...then we told them that we were going to Disney. My youngest was jumping up and down with enjoyment, my older DD, on the other hand, was so confused on what she wanted to do so she started crying. Don't worry after we got on ME she was a happy clam again.

Now, we are going again in December and was going to surprise them, but decided that we wanted them to be apart of the planning.. with a few surprises here and there

PoohsFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 10:24 AM   #4
TitanBrett
Mouseketeer

We live in Tampa, so the surprises can definitely be more short notice. A month or so ago, My wife and I and 5 year old daughter went to Sea World all day on a Saturday, then stayed at the Doubletree that night telling my daughter that I was too tired to drive home, we got up early the next day and headed over to the magic kingdom. Once she started seeing purple road signs she got suspicious and was absolutely thrilled when we got to the parking lot.
TitanBrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 11:07 AM   #5
TivoQueen
Mouseketeer

When we went this past October we didn't tell our kids at all. I had my hubby take the kids to the movies the night before we left so I could pack everything for the week and we loaded up the car after they were in bed. We woke all 3 of them up at 5:00 in the morning and told them to get dressed we were going to the airport. They were very confused the entire ride to the airport. When we were at the airport I pulled out the Magic Express Luggage tags and gave them to each one and told them to put them on their suitcase. As soon as they seen the tags their eyes lit up and my 6 year old actually started crying she was so happy. My hubby wasn't sure about not telling them, but the moment they realized where they going it was so worth the surprise.
TivoQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 11:09 AM   #6
kangaroodle
DVC Member

I've done this twice. The first was when the kids were young (6 and 4)....a little young to really understand. We did it at Christmas for an early January trip. We did a scavenger hunt sort of like a previous poster did. I also hid sweatshirts and the last "clue" was a puzzle (I had found puzzle computer paper that you could print on and then break apart). It said "We're going to Disney World!" The 6 y/o could read it but they were both like "Huh?"

The second time we did this was the best. The kids were DS8 and DD10. We planned this with another family. The parents said absolutely nothing for months...planning and packing without the kids knowing. We showed up at school and got the kids out of class telling them the had a dentist appt that I forgot about They got in the car and off we went. My DD10 starting asking where we were going because this was not the way to the dentist. I just told her that I have to go to grandma's to drop something off and I wouldn't have time to pick them up after school if I did this first (my mom lives near O'Hare airport). They bought that. Then we got off the highway and they again asked because that was not the way to Grandma's...told them dad made a wrong turn. Then we pulled into the parking lot and they asked again. This time my husband turned around and said, "We aren't going to Grandma's or the dentist. We're going to Disney World!" They kind of sat there in shock and didn't say anything for about 30 seconds. It was too funny! They still didn't believe us till they saw the suitcases. The surprise wasn't over yet, though. The other family did the same thing but separately. We got to the airport first and were just casually sitting at the gate. The other family came strolling up. The kids all asked each other what are you doing here? The kids couldn't believe we were all going together and couldn't believe we pulled that off! As the commercial says, it was priceless.

It was REALLY tough to keep it under wraps but SO worth it for at least one trip! Everyone needs to surprise their kids at least one time!

I had friends who woke their kids up and just asked, "Would you rather go to school today or go to Disney World?"

Another friend just had a limo show up in front of the house and when the kids asked why it was there they just said, "Cause we're going to Disney World!"

Have a fantastic trip. If you can pull off the surprise, your kids will remember it forever!

Just visited March 25-29th.....CRAZY week!

Mark Kathy Kelly Jeff Boomer
kangaroodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 11:18 AM   #7
bluejasmine
DIS Veteran

We are doing this for two teens in 15 days! DH and I planned out a scavenger hunt with riddles, it send them from one thing to another including calling one of the grandmothers to get the next clue, to having to figure out a password on the computer and then finally the last clue will send them to us holding the travel docs, mickey confetti, at that point we will hand them their individual packing list tell them they have 1 hr to pack so we can pack the car we leave early the next morning. We had originally planned on just getting them up early telling them we are going to breakfast but DH wanted them to expeerience the whole cant sleep the night before b/c I am too excited! I have had to keep this trip a secret for almost a yr and Im about to BUST! We havent had a family vacation to WDW since 2006 and this will be the first one with DH (married last Sept honeymooned in WDW, kids were MAD) and its 7 days with FD so I am truly over joyed, esoecially thankful due to the fact my DH was out of work for most of 2008 and part of 2009, we are blessed!
ASMo 2003/2005, ASMu 2009,Pop 2006/2013, SSR 2008, Poly CL 2010/2011/2013, GF CL 2012, AKL 2011, CR 2011, BC CL 2012, POR 2005/2012, CBR 2011, DCL Fantasy 2012, Hilton DTD 2011(2x) Best Western DTD 2010/2012
bluejasmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 11:33 AM   #8
rob2004fx4
Earning My Ears

This might be a little long but here goes. Last Feb 08 my wife and I decided to take DD7 and DD12 to WDW for vacation. We made our plans for Aug 08 and never told them. Made all the ADRs and again never told them. We told them we were going to a beach on the Gulf side of Fl whenever they asked were we were going to go on vacation. We even kept it a secret from our friends and family. We drove down from MD, and the best part was between Daytona and WDW. DD7 was whineing and crying and calling us bad parents for going by Disney and not taking her. To make it worse for them I said "well lets look at some of the resorts to get ideas for next year" since check in at our hotel is later today. When we got to the security gate at POR, they never really noticed that we were on the list. Well imagine the shock that they were in when I got out of the car and we told them, still whineing, that we were staying here, that we planed a Disney vacation. They were shocked!! It was hard keeping it secret that long, but worth it!!

Robert
rob2004fx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 11:45 AM   #9
cvallee
Mouseketeer

A few years ago we told the kids that we were doing a beach vacation in Maine for a week. We packed up and left the house early and were just about to approach the exit for the airport and we sprung the surprise on them. It was priceless.
Our son started crying (4 years old at time) because he wanted to go Maine instead (he quickly got over that one). Our daughter didn't believe us and demanded to see the tickets!
So when we arrived and got settled into the hotel, there was another surprise for the kids. A knock at the door revealed that their favorite cousins were also in Disney at the same time!!
It was one of our best times there. Would love to do that again. But I'm afraid that the kids are too smart now.
Oct 2004 Beach Club Villas
July 2005 Wilderness Lodge Villas
Nov 2007 Beach Club Villas
July 2009 Animal Kingdom Lodge
July 2011 Beach Club Villas
cvallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 11:53 AM   #10
Uno Mas
DIS Veteran

The first time, they were begging to go and I told them it cost at least $3000 to go and I didn't have the funds. It was near Christmas so I told them to ask Santa, which they both did. I bought a giant card and put it under the tree and when they opened it on Christmas morning, it was signed by Santa and included a huge "check" made out to the family in the amount of $3000 for our first Disney trip. They were ecstatic.

Second time was after the Disney cruise - they thought we were on our way home and fell asleep immediately in the car. I woke them up when we were crossing under the Magic Kingdom arch - they had no idea we were extending the trip.

Last time we said we were driving to Atlanta to visit friends - they have no clue about directions. My son woke up when we passed the big sign for Daytona and said - HEY! Where are we REALLY going??

They love, love, love the surprise trips the best!

1976, 1979: Off Property
1981: Disneyland
1989: Caribbean Beach
2003: Polynesian
2004: Polynesian
2005: Polynesian
2006: May: Port Orleans; July: Swan
2007: March:Disney Wonder, Port Orleans;August: Polynesian; October: Swan
2008: January:Dolphin; May: Swan; August:Beach Club October:Dolphin and Beach Club
2009: January:Wilderness Lodge;April:Disney Wonder; October:Beach Club
2010: January: Polynesian;June: Beach Club;October: Dolphin
2011: August: Beach Club; October: Swan
2012: January Beach Club;
June Beach Club and Universal; October Swan and Dolphin
Uno Mas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 11:56 AM   #11
Wistraveler
Mouse Over

My daughter is taking her two boys on a surprise trip in a few weeks. They boys know they are going on a vacation, but are convinced it is somewhere else, as brochures for another vacation spot were planted all over the house. They won't find out where they are actually going until they get to the airport.

What my daughter doesn't know is I and her sister booked the same trip, arriving later in the day. I plan to greet them at the resort when I arrive. Since I already know their plans, I will just casually walk up to them. I can't wait to see the looks on their faces. She thinks I am staying home to take care of their dog, but I booked a kennel.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:05 PM   #12
koolaidmoms
DIS Veteran

We have surprised our children a couple of times. We have told them we are going to visit their aunt and uncle in NC and gotten as far as driving on the property before they even knew where we were. They were about 6 and looked at us when they saw a WDW bus and said, "Those people are lucky. They get to go to WDW!" lol

I also made a Christmas box (a big carton) with a lift off lid. Inside I put a Disney themed balloon, t-shirt, sunglasses, confetti and a note telling them that they were going to WDW!
Old 09-03-2009, 01:15 PM   #13
wdwphile
Earning My Ears

Surprise at the airport

My wife and I told our 2 girls (8 and 11 at the time) that Daddy was going on a business trip and they were coming with Mom to drive me to the airport. We'd packed their bags and hid them under a blanket in the back of the car the night before.

They walked me to the gate (this was pre-9/11), and when they were about to give me a kiss goodbye I gave them each a plane ticket and told them we were all going to Disney World. They were so excited we both filled up with tears. This is one of the fondest memories I have of our 10+ trips to Disney.
wdwphile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 01:33 PM   #14
Cheshire Figment
Friend of Figment

You can always tell them you are planning a trip to the mountains. Just don't tell them which ones. (Big Thunder, Everest, Space, Splash)

Now Working Part Time at Walt Disney World! (Guest Services/Ticket Sales)

A few very helpful links which are on DisBoards:
Everything About WDW Tickets and this one disABILITIES FAQs
Cheshire Figment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 02:03 PM   #15
reelmom
If I don't get tagged, I am gonna hold my breath until I am blue!
Didn't work. The tag turned blue instead!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheshire Figment View Post
You can always tell them you are planning a trip to the mountains. Just don't tell them which ones. (Big Thunder, Everest, Space, Splash)
That's a very cute idea.

We are planning on surprising our boys this october. We will pick them up from school and have the car packed. My mom is going with us so if they ask about the luggage when they get in, we will just say we are dropping my mom off somewhere. We plan on having Happy Meals waiting for them. Inside the Happy Meals, I will put Phineas and Ferb dolls with cards attached saying," Hey Ferb, I know what we are going to do today. We're going to Disney World."
reelmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: