Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2009, 06:15 PM   #1
eyeheartgoofy
DIS Veteran

non-disney trip insurance: where and when to buy??

Those of you who do not buy Disney's insurance, where do you purchase your insurance? Also, what is the timeline ... do you book your cruise, then get a quote. Or do you get a quote, then book the trip?

Thanks in advance!
eyeheartgoofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 06:23 PM   #2
DL1957
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeheartgoofy View Post
Those of you who do not buy Disney's insurance, where do you purchase your insurance? Also, what is the timeline ... do you book your cruise, then get a quote. Or do you get a quote, then book the trip?

Thanks in advance!
To add to this question has anyone done this with DVC points? How would they price it. the insurance DVC uses is about $5 a point which is not the cost of the cruise.
Thanks
DL1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-02-2009, 06:37 PM   #3
crazy4cruises
Mouseketeer

We buy Travelex. Thankfully, I've never had to use it, so I can't say how easy they are to deal with if you have a claim. If you purchase within 21 days of your deposit, all pre-existing conditions are waived. Other than that, I don't know how long you can wait to buy it.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:23 PM   #4
thymed
Mouseketeer

www.*****************

this gives you many options and prices...you just have to read what they offer and make comparisons, they have great prices
thymed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 08:37 PM   #5
KST5812
Earning My Ears

We used ***************** as well. We saved over 50% from what disney was charging and got a little better coverage. They only charge for Adults, kids are covered free. Disney charges for everyone, thou kids are cheaper

Previous;
'73 Poly, 83 off-site, '85 Senior Trip-off site,'94 Port Orleans, '00 Contemporary, '01 Port Orleans French Quarter, '02 Coronado Springs
'03 Caribbean Beach, '03 Dolphin, '05 DCL 4 day Wonder, '07 Port Orleans Riverside

Upcoming: 10/31/09 DCL 7 day Western on Magic

[IMG]http://www.********************/timers/tickers/k3h8u9ephbjpzxfo.png[/IMG]
KST5812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 09:03 PM   #6
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeheartgoofy View Post

Thanks in advance!
***************** of thru your TA. Get a quote, book trip, buy insurance. In most cases if you buy the insurance within 2 weeks of your initial payment on the cruise you will have coverage for pre-existing conditions in yourself or a close family member (you decide not to sail because grandpa has heart surgery).

I get the insurance thru the TA who books the trip--same price as on ***************** and I'm sure they get a little commission. That way, if I need to change the cruise dates, they'll also take care of moving the insurance dates for me.

There is no good way to insure with DVC points. If you buy private insurance, it will cover only the cash items you paid for--$95 booking fee, air, DCL transfers. If you buy the DVC coverage, it gives you only $5 per point and no coverage on the cash items. Another reason I use my points elsewhere!
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: