Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2009, 04:12 PM   #1
k5jmh

DIS Tech Talk Guru
Ask me about Alpaca poop!
I want to pour that Sauce all over my body

The Return of Captain EO at DL

Just saw this....

http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/09/02/...to-disneyland/

Miceage is reporting that the Francis Ford Coppola-directed/George Lucas-produced sci-fi action 3D musical short film Captain EO will be returning to Disneyland’s Tomorrowland. Apparently the return of Captain EO will be announced by Jay Rasulo at the D23 Expo, and the film will begin playing again in the Southern California theme park in January 2010, as a tribute to Michael Jackson.

The 17-minute film cost a record $17 million in 1986, a cost of about one million dollars per minute of film, this was, minute for minute, the most expensive motion picture of all time. If you adjust that number for inflation, it rises to almost $35 million. That’s a lot of money for a $17 million short film. Another fun factoid is that Steven Spielberg was originally signed on to direct the movie but had to cancel due to scheduling conflicts with his other film projects. The film opened in Epcot and Disneyland in mid-September 1986, Tokyo Disneyland in March 1987, and Disneyland Park (Paris) in 1992). All four installations were closed down by 1998.
The story followed Captain Eo and his rugged ragtag crew who went on a mission to deliver a special gift to a wicked queen (played by Anjelica Huston) who lives on a dark, desolate world. Captain EO can be found online on many of the video sharing websites.
The film featured two songs, “We Are Here to Change the World” and “Another Part of Me” by Michael Jackson. The action on the screen was recreated for the live audience using lasers, laser impacts, smoke effects, and starfields that filled the theater. The presentation was replaced by Honey I Shrunk the Audience, another live interaction 3D short.
Old 09-02-2009, 04:24 PM   #2
georgemoe
Beverages? There were beverages?
Will always remember Norway (even if he did forget his wife)
AKA Señor Jorge

A version of this could certainly occupy the Sounds Dangerous venue in DHS. What a worthless show that is/was. Can you tell I like Sounds Dangerous?
Old 09-03-2009, 07:17 AM   #3
challer
Hey EPCOT! Fix the jumping fountains already!!!

It would be a major upgrade to bring EO back to the Journey Into Imagination theater as well. "honey i shrunk" is toast.
Old 09-04-2009, 08:09 AM   #4
gkrykewy
TTA PeopleMover Fan Club President

Quote:
Originally Posted by challer View Post
It would be a major upgrade to bring EO back to the Journey Into Imagination theater as well. "honey i shrunk" is toast.
Agreed 100%. Here's hoping.

gkrykewy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: