Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2009, 01:10 PM   #106
aka-mad4themouse
Budget Board Co-Host
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Between a rock & a hard place
Posts: 9,295

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyBryn View Post
I know that the offer seems to be sent out randomly, but is there any way to increase your chances of being someone to get it? I mean, obviously they're going to go to people who Disney has contact info for in the first place, right? Or if you taken past vacations, does that increase your chances, etc?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky'sMom View Post
I've been a cardmember since "day one" and this is the first offer I've received. I called to try to receive one of these offers once, but was denied. We put so many expenses on our card, and pay it off each month, so I was thinking we probably would never receive one (since they rarely get any interest $ from us). I really don't think there's any way to increase your chances...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnkrbelle565 View Post
I would love to know how you get selected or how they come up with the categories or dollar amounts. This time, we got the offer twice (once by email and once by snail mail )
I used to think that it had something to do with "disuse" of the card. We have 2 cards but only one gets regular use. In January, the card that we rarely use got the 5X offer. But then in April, July and Oct. the other card (the one that runs around $2K each month) got the 5X offer.

And I read at least one post from someone who stated that they got offers on both of their cards this time, even though the fine print states that that "only one consumer account per household is eligible".

My new, unofficial and totally speculative theory is that Chase weighs your spending habits, your debt-credit ratio, your FICO score and payment history. Then someone in the promotions department takes a stack of postcards to the top of a staircase and throws them in the air. The postcards that fall on the odd numbered steps are the ones that get the offer that month.
__________________
-insert clever observation here-
aka-mad4themouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 01:23 PM   #107
Piecey
I find myself fighting with my pants
I don't have a mouse
I'm an easy-peasy kinda girl
 
Piecey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 9,407

Oh! Thanks so much for the gift card idea!!

We're almost out of our stockpile of Lucas' formula (we buy about $300 at a time from Sams) so sounds like a good month to go get some more.

Our offer is for anything above $250!



Anyone know if the Disney restaurants count? We'll be at Disney the last week of October and if they count I'll take my Visa for the tips (we're on free dining).
Piecey is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 10-02-2009, 10:32 PM   #108
eyor44
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 5,184

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka-mad4themouse View Post
My new, unofficial and totally speculative theory is that Chase weighs your spending habits, your debt-credit ratio, your FICO score and payment history. Then someone in the promotions department takes a stack of postcards to the top of a staircase and throws them in the air. The postcards that fall on the odd numbered steps are the ones that get the offer that month.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnkrbelle565 View Post
I would love to know how you get selected or how they come up with the categories or dollar amounts. This time, we got the offer twice (once by email and once by snail mail )
I received it by post card and email also.
eyor44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 11:15 PM   #109
JLitfin
love Disney
 
JLitfin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Maryland
Posts: 2,710

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka-mad4themouse View Post
It's 100 bonus rewards dollars total in the 3-month period.

I just want you to be aware that the 5X bonus is not paid on the first $500 spent in those categories each month. It is only paid on any spending over $500 total in a calendar month and only in those 4 categories.

To get 100 bonus rewards dollars, you will have to spend $2500 total in those categories above the monthly $500 threshold. That could be as much as $4000 in CC charges for groceries, gas, airline and dining over a 3-month period.

Thanks for explaining this more in depth, now I believe I understand how this promotion really works. Last time I received the $1000 promotion I was charging everything and never receivied any bonus pts. I guess I never hit the first $1000.

Thanks also for the gift card idea, I'll be heading to Safeway to see which gift cards I would use to help with my $500 total.


Have another question:
I called the number on the back of my card to see if a couple of stores are included as groceries. He couldn't tell me, they don't have a list of stores they just look back on your pass charges in order to see, which didn't work for me since I usually don't charge my food purchases. I did just look at one of my pass statements and noticed that GIANT Food was listed as "other" and not grocery. I forgot I did charge at GIANT when we moved my son into his college apartment. Now I'm wondering about the store I always shop at which is Martins Foods or Shoppers Food, does anyone know whether these two are included.

Thanks
__________________
JEAN

Last edited by JLitfin; 10-02-2009 at 11:41 PM.
JLitfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 01:12 PM   #110
Debbru
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 443

I also have a question - just received the 5X offer for over $250 in dining, gas, groceries & airlines. I've gotten it in the past but it was always for over $750 and never reach that amount in these catagories. But over $250 should not be a problem.

Anyway, I looked at some past online statements and whenever I've charged gas, it shows online as "Vehicle Expense". Will this count as a gas purchase if it continues to be listed this way during the promotion?
Debbru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 01:34 PM   #111
aka-mad4themouse
Budget Board Co-Host
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Between a rock & a hard place
Posts: 9,295

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLitfin View Post
Have another question:
I called the number on the back of my card to see if a couple of stores are included as groceries. He couldn't tell me, they don't have a list of stores they just look back on your pass charges in order to see, which didn't work for me since I usually don't charge my food purchases. I did just look at one of my pass statements and noticed that GIANT Food was listed as "other" and not grocery. I forgot I did charge at GIANT when we moved my son into his college apartment. Now I'm wondering about the store I always shop at which is Martins Foods or Shoppers Food, does anyone know whether these two are included.

Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbru View Post
I also have a question - just received the 5X offer for over $250 in dining, gas, groceries & airlines. I've gotten it in the past but it was always for over $750 and never reach that amount in these catagories. But over $250 should not be a problem.

Anyway, I looked at some past online statements and whenever I've charged gas, it shows online as "Vehicle Expense". Will this count as a gas purchase if it continues to be listed this way during the promotion?
There's a difference between the way a charge appears on your statement and the way that it credits toward your bonus rewards. Online, it can appear as "other" when it does get credited as "grocery". Every one of the grocery stores that I use shows up as "other" when I look it up online. The convenience store where I purchase my gasoline shows up as "vehicle expense". There are no categories on my printed statement.

You can call the Chase customer service number and get an automated recording of your last transactions. They will be more detailed and will reflect the category that it was credited to.
__________________
-insert clever observation here-
aka-mad4themouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 02:08 PM   #112
JLitfin
love Disney
 
JLitfin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Maryland
Posts: 2,710

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka-mad4themouse View Post
There's a difference between the way a charge appears on your statement and the way that it credits toward your bonus rewards. Online, it can appear as "other" when it does get credited as "grocery". Every one of the grocery stores that I use shows up as "other" when I look it up online. The convenience store where I purchase my gasoline shows up as "vehicle expense". There are no categories on my printed statement.

You can call the Chase customer service number and get an automated recording of your last transactions. They will be more detailed and will reflect the category that it was credited to.
Ok, that makes me feel a little better, I just decided to go back through several bills online and I did charge at Safeway and at Martins Food and both of them show as "other" and not "grocery", I'll take my chance and charge at Martins and see what I can find out once it shows on my online statement. I'll call after it shows up on the statement.
__________________
JEAN
JLitfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 03:02 PM   #113
Debbie6221
I do believe hangers are against me!
 
Debbie6221's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Chicago, IL but I wish it was WDW GF MK view!
Posts: 6,012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyStitch View Post
I finally got a 5X offer too and it's for the 1,000.00. So I figured if I really want the extra rewards I can always buy even the gift cards for the Grocery Store. What I make in interest on my savings is smaller than what I get in rewards. But I sure wish they would make these either more often or more reasonable.
Gift card idea is great! Especially since evryone wants gift cards for Christmas! Plus, using it for things you are going to spend money on anyway too right!

I have to spend a $1000.00 first! That does annoy me. BUT here is what I can't wrap my brain around....does the $1000.00 HAVE to be in those 4 categories or is it that you earn the 5X after you've spent $1000.00 total on the card? I am sure this was already answered so sorry I didn't read back far enough.
__________________



Our trips since 2002……
I had DD in November2002 ......Let the FUN begin! OCTOBER2003 GF DD's 1st trip OCTOBER2004 GF MAY2005 POP & POLYOCTOBER2006 GF DS's 1st Trip & 1st Birthday JUNE2007 AKL My 40thBirthday NOVEMBER2007 GF DDs 5th Birthday SEPTEMBER2008 ASM GF Free Dining JUNE2009PolyOCTOBER2009GFClubLevel-2 nightsOctober2010PolyClubLevelAugust2011PolyClubLevel2nights
Debbie6221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 03:14 PM   #114
aka-mad4themouse
Budget Board Co-Host
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Between a rock & a hard place
Posts: 9,295

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie6221 View Post
I have to spend a $1000.00 first! That does annoy me. BUT here is what I can't wrap my brain around....does the $1000.00 HAVE to be in those 4 categories or is it that you earn the 5X after you've spent $1000.00 total on the card? I am sure this was already answered so sorry I didn't read back far enough.
I hate to break it to you but you will need to spend $1000 in a single month in any combination of those 4 categories. Any amount above $1K spent in those 4 categories that month will be eligible for the 5X rewards. The following month you will have to get past that $1K hurdle again before the 5X bonus kicks in.
__________________
-insert clever observation here-
aka-mad4themouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 03:21 PM   #115
Debbie6221
I do believe hangers are against me!
 
Debbie6221's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Chicago, IL but I wish it was WDW GF MK view!
Posts: 6,012

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka-mad4themouse View Post
I hate to break it to you but you will need to spend $1000 in a single month in any combination of those 4 categories. Any amount above $1K spent in those 4 categories that month will be eligible for the 5X rewards. The following month you will have to get past that $1K hurdle again before the 5X bonus kicks in.
That really stinks! I mean I charge everything too AND pay off the bill each month BUT I doubt I spend 1000.00! I am annoyed!

I wonder if anyone has ever called and gotten them to lower the threshold>>>Wishful thinking I'm sure!
__________________



Our trips since 2002……
I had DD in November2002 ......Let the FUN begin! OCTOBER2003 GF DD's 1st trip OCTOBER2004 GF MAY2005 POP & POLYOCTOBER2006 GF DS's 1st Trip & 1st Birthday JUNE2007 AKL My 40thBirthday NOVEMBER2007 GF DDs 5th Birthday SEPTEMBER2008 ASM GF Free Dining JUNE2009PolyOCTOBER2009GFClubLevel-2 nightsOctober2010PolyClubLevelAugust2011PolyClubLevel2nights
Debbie6221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 04:15 PM   #116
JLitfin
love Disney
 
JLitfin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Maryland
Posts: 2,710

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie6221 View Post
That really stinks! I mean I charge everything too AND pay off the bill each month BUT I doubt I spend 1000.00! I am annoyed!

I wonder if anyone has ever called and gotten them to lower the threshold>>>Wishful thinking I'm sure!
I had the $1000 last time I received the 5X promotion and I thought the same thing. Needless to say I didn't recieve any bonus pts. This time I received the $500 in the 4 cats. I believe I can make this work especially if I do the gift card idea.

I'm learning more and more from this discussion, I really appreciate it. Thanks for all the ideas.
__________________
JEAN
JLitfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 08:27 AM   #117
SpanishForker
Mouseketeer
 
SpanishForker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 185

Disney Visa 5x rewards terms???

I got an offer a few days ago to get 5x rewards on the Disney Visa. I had to call in and give a code to be enrolled. One of the kids when cleaning up threw the card away and I was wondering if anyone else had gotten it and could tell me the other terms. The terms I remember were I got 5x rewards on spending over $750 each month from oct 09-dec09. I just don't remember if this was limited to certain places like it has been before (grocery, gas, disney, etc).

Thanks!
SpanishForker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 08:30 AM   #118
aka-mad4themouse
Budget Board Co-Host
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Between a rock & a hard place
Posts: 9,295

There's a long thread about it here:
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2273263

I guess that it's time to make it a sticky because this question comes up quite often.
__________________
-insert clever observation here-
aka-mad4themouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 08:36 AM   #119
SpanishForker
Mouseketeer
 
SpanishForker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 185

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka-mad4themouse View Post
There's a long thread about it here:
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2273263

I guess that it's time to make it a sticky because this question comes up quite often.
Thanks, I skimmed the first page or so and didn't see a thread dedicated to it so I went ahead and posted.
SpanishForker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 07:21 PM   #120
stm61
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 2,016

if I remember right, different people got different offers. Mine is limited to gas, grocerys, restaurants (not including fast food), and something else I can't remember, but I only had to spend $500. If you call the number on your card, or look it up on their site, they can tell you what your offer is.
stm61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Three Quick VWL Questions Silver Queen DVC-Mousecellaneous 11 12-23-2009 01:22 PM
Living near the magic, questions??? suorkaterina The DIS Unplugged Podcast 25 09-24-2009 05:26 PM
$10 Chili's gift card - My Coke Rewards Rootskate Budget Board 27 09-11-2009 06:12 AM
Question to parents... JoyG Community Board 61 09-02-2009 11:49 AM
Success calling Chase to ask about 5X rewards? mrsklamc Budget Board 1 09-01-2009 06:42 PM

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:44 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: