Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2009, 07:22 PM   #91
dreamin_disney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneypartyof4 View Post
I just called....and they said ANY purchase and NO theshold on our offer So I will be charging everything and we will pay off the balance each month. The limit of points is 200.
I got the same one and trying hard to wait until tomorrow to do all my shopping-lol! I have grocery shopping to do, walmart shopping and I can buy a giftcard to payoff my jcpenny acct off. Then i will make sure to pay off my disney card each month-yipeeee!
Old 09-30-2009, 08:11 PM   #92
JLitfin
love Disney

Hey guys, Pixiedust worked, I just received my postcard in the mail this afternoon, and it's better than the last offer I received which was having to spend $1000 in the 4 cats.

This offer is having to spend $500 in the 4 cats, dining, gas, groceries and airline tickets to receive 5X bonus pts. Now I have to charge everything to receive enough extra pts to pick up another 10-day, non-expiration ticket. The maximum bonus pts is 100.

One question is that 100 per month or a 100 total over the 3 months?
Thanks.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-30-2009, 09:09 PM   #93
CEK40
Mouseketeer

Hi,

I got the 5X rewards dollars in the 4 catagories groceries, airline, dining, and gas on all purchases in these catatories after 1000.00 per month. I called to register my number listed on the card I was sent, and then asked a lot of questions about the restrictions for the offer.

Here is what I was told by the rep. I spoke with who was very helpful and willing to answer my questions. To get the answers call the number on the back of your charge card.

You can use individual catagories or combine the catagories in each seperate month, but you have to spend the 1000.00 base amount each month and then what is spent over that in the listed catagories you get the 5X rewards dollars and are only allowed to recieve a total of 100.00 in bonus rewards dollars during the 3 months which are Oct, Nov and Dec for me. I was told you can not carry over the amounts spent from month to month.

I also called to ask what types of stores and dining places you could use. I was told that you had to shop at freestanding grocery stores like Food Lion or Harris Teeter and Walmart, Target, Sams, etc. doesn't count. I was also told that I could only use dining like Cracker Barrel and Olive Garden but McDonalds, Wendys and Starbucks won't because they are "fast food" and don't count. She told me that Panera Bread and didn't count as dining they are listed as fast food dining and they don't count. She was reading something that stated "fast food" or "dining".

I am not sure if this is true for the rest of you that got the same offer but you may want to call and confirm the types of places you can shop before you go and charge and it won't count.

Hope this information help you.
CEK40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 07:00 AM   #94
patsal
I've discovered I don't need to be a control freak...and like it!

Finally, I got one I can actually earn a few extra on. Usually I get the bizarre after $5000, but today I got the anything over $1000. Perfect because I use it for everything then pay it off at the end of the month, but now way $5000-- more like $2500. Groceries and gas are my biggest spend on items so I should be earning a few extra
Old 10-01-2009, 08:23 AM   #95
aka-mad4themouse
Budget Board Co-Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLitfin View Post
This offer is having to spend $500 in the 4 cats, dining, gas, groceries and airline tickets to receive 5X bonus pts. Now I have to charge everything to receive enough extra pts to pick up another 10-day, non-expiration ticket. The maximum bonus pts is 100.

One question is that 100 per month or a 100 total over the 3 months?
Thanks.
It's 100 bonus rewards dollars total in the 3-month period.

I just want you to be aware that the 5X bonus is not paid on the first $500 spent in those categories each month. It is only paid on any spending over $500 total in a calendar month and only in those 4 categories.

To get 100 bonus rewards dollars, you will have to spend $2500 total in those categories above the monthly $500 threshold. That could be as much as $4000 in CC charges for groceries, gas, airline and dining over a 3-month period.
Old 10-01-2009, 08:33 AM   #96
aka-mad4themouse
Budget Board Co-Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEK40 View Post
I also called to ask what types of stores and dining places you could use. I was told that you had to shop at freestanding grocery stores like Food Lion or Harris Teeter and Walmart, Target, Sams, etc. doesn't count. I was also told that I could only use dining like Cracker Barrel and Olive Garden but McDonalds, Wendys and Starbucks won't because they are "fast food" and don't count. She told me that Panera Bread and didn't count as dining they are listed as fast food dining and they don't count. She was reading something that stated "fast food" or "dining".
A hint for those of you who got this offer and frequent fast food places or like to shop at Walmart and Target...

Buy gift cards at your grocery store for those places. My local Genuardi's/Safeway has a Gift Card Mall that is loaded with all kinds of fast food GCs like Subway, McDonald's, Starbucks and Panera. It shows up on your statement as a grocery purchase and you can then use the GCs for your fast food fix!

I did that to boost my monthly totals the past two promotions and it worked! Now I have a couple Petsmart, Best Buy and Kohl's GCs that I can either use to make purchases or give as gifts.
Old 10-01-2009, 08:50 AM   #97
CEK40
Mouseketeer

To the previous poster in regards to the GC suggestion, that is a great idea and hadn't thought of that one.

I did think of purchasing a gas GC at the Shell station and giving them to my two children and getting the credit for that.

Thank for the suggestion.
CEK40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 11:13 AM   #98
DizzyStitch
Mouseketeer

Gift Cards

I finally got a 5X offer too and it's for the 1,000.00. So I figured if I really want the extra rewards I can always buy even the gift cards for the Grocery Store. What I make in interest on my savings is smaller than what I get in rewards. But I sure wish they would make these either more often or more reasonable.
Pop Century May 2006Pop Century September 2006Pop Century September 2007All Star Music September 2008Pop Century September 2009Free Dining Bounce Back Pop Century August 2010 Universal June 2012DVC Boardwalk Villas June 2013 DVC SSR June 2014
DizzyStitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 11:19 AM   #99
aka-mad4themouse
Budget Board Co-Host

I was curious to see how I've done with the bonus awards the past two quarters so I looked up my statements online. Here's how I made out:

Jan.-Mar. (dining, groceries, airfare, gas - $250 hurdle) $79 bonus dollars
Apr.-Jun. (dining, groceries, airfare, gas - $500 hurdle) $60 bonus dollars
Jul.-Sept. (dining, groceries, airfare, gas - $250 hurdle) $14 bonus dollars for July
That's 153 rewards dollars I wouldn't have if I hadn't gotten the offers. If you consider that I usually paid for my groceries with cash before this, it probably netted me about 70 additional dollars by encouraging me to charge my groceries.

Each of those had a limit of 100 bonus rewards dollars, so I didn't even come close to maxing them out. I'll see how close I come for the third offer because I won't see all of those bonus dollars until Dec.
Old 10-02-2009, 11:26 AM   #100
disneyfan55
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka-mad4themouse View Post
I was curious to see how I've done with the bonus awards the past two quarters so I looked up my statements online. Here's how I made out:

Jan.-Mar. (dining, groceries, airfare, gas - $250 hurdle) $79 bonus dollars
Apr.-Jun. (dining, groceries, airfare, gas - $500 hurdle) $60 bonus dollars
Jul.-Sept. (dining, groceries, airfare, gas - $250 hurdle) $14 bonus dollars for July
That's 153 rewards dollars I wouldn't have if I hadn't gotten the offers. If you consider that I usually paid for my groceries with cash before this, it probably netted me about 70 additional dollars by encouraging me to charge my groceries.

Each of those had a limit of 100 bonus rewards dollars, so I didn't even come close to maxing them out. I'll see how close I come for the third offer because I won't see all of those bonus dollars until Dec.
We haven't gotten the 5 times for Apr-Sept this year, but have before that with the same offer as you state. (same categories, 250 threshold and $100 max per period)

My offer for Oct 1 to Dec 31 is anything - all purchases over $250 per month with a $200 limit. I thought the $200 max plus no categories was really great!! I know the bonus does come in handy. Last year we did earn by putting all groceries on the card, usually we don't do this.

Also, most important is not to get caught up with spending more on the card and not being able to pay off at each month. (I think that's what the bank's real hope is, so we pay high interest to get a few extra Disney Dollars, why else would they do it for us that pay in full every month)
disneyfan55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 12:40 PM   #101
Melani
"keep moving forward"

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfan55 View Post
Also, most important is not to get caught up with spending more on the card and not being able to pay off at each month. (I think that's what the bank's real hope is, so we pay high interest to get a few extra Disney Dollars, why else would they do it for us that pay in full every month)

That's another reason the gift cards are a good way to handle this.
Purchase your budgeted amount for each category on gift cards & use those instead of your credit card.

Only I haven't been able to find Target or Walmart gc yet.
I checked at Foodworld (thay had Home Depot & Sears)
& Winn Dixie (they had Lowes)
I haven't been to a gas station yet.

Watch out for overpriced things at the grocery store. I was out of cat food & DD need some Ibprfen. I didn't have time to make another stop so I had to buy it at WD. I paid $3 more than I would have if I got it at Target or Walmart. There went all my "savings/rewards" even at 5x$83.
Old 10-02-2009, 12:44 PM   #102
MommyBryn
DIS Veteran

How to *possibly* get the 5x rewards offer for the Disney Visa?

I know that the offer seems to be sent out randomly, but is there any way to increase your chances of being someone to get it? I mean, obviously they're going to go to people who Disney has contact info for in the first place, right? Or if you taken past vacations, does that increase your chances, etc?
Old 10-02-2009, 12:51 PM   #103
Lucky'sMom
DIS Veteran

I've been a cardmember since "day one" and this is the first offer I've received. I called to try to receive one of these offers once, but was denied. We put so many expenses on our card, and pay it off each month, so I was thinking we probably would never receive one (since they rarely get any interest $ from us). I really don't think there's any way to increase your chances...

2014-June, Windsor Hills pool home and HRH; 2012-July, RPR and Reunion resort pool home; May,Marriott's Grande Vista; 2011 -Jan: CSR; May: CBR; 2009 - Wyndham Bonnet Creek Presidential Suite!; 2008 - Wyndham Bonnet Creek and RPR; 2007 - POR, Wonder Cruise, BWV; 2006 - Springhill Suites, UO and PBH, Nick Hotel; 2005 - Ft. Wilderness Cabins; 2003 - Poly, OKW, AsMo; 2002 - UO and RPR; 2001 - Sheraton Vistana Villages; 2000 - Holiday Inn Family Suites, ASMu; 1996 - Swan; 1995 - Swan, ASSp, ASMu; 1994 - POFQ
Lucky'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 12:52 PM   #104
mrsklamc
I apologize in advance, but what is a click clack?

Just be careful buying giftcards- make sure you don't buy any for places that may be rumored to go under. I believe that Linen's and Things G.C.'s were void when they went bankrupt.

I've been a cardholder for only about a year and haven't gotten any offers. I stuck them in the safe yesterday so we'll see if non-use helps in our particular situation.
mrsklamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 12:56 PM   #105
Tnkrbelle565
DIS Veteran

I would love to know how you get selected or how they come up with the categories or dollar amounts. This time, we got the offer twice (once by email and once by snail mail )

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: