Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2009, 06:16 PM   #1
JoyG
DIS Veteran
When I saw Titanic for the first time in the theater I was crying so hard I was making noises...a snorting/hiccuping sound.

Question to parents...

How would you feel if a teacher handed your sick or coughing child a face mask to wear in class for the day? The reasoning behind it is to stop the spread of swine flu before a vaccine become available. She has no way of knowing if your child has swine flu, but observes they are sneezing, coughing or have a runny nose.

Just curious.
Old 09-01-2009, 06:19 PM   #2
pearlieq
They can sit & spin
Imagine my shock when my cat slipped me the tongue
I've never been all that worried about getting cooties
I don't need chewy chunks

Why is a sick, coughing child with a runny nose at school?

If a parent sent their kid to school that way, I guess I can't really fault the teacher for trying to halt the spread of infection, especially if there is a flu risk.
Your underpants!
~TSA 2010
pearlieq is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-01-2009, 06:21 PM   #3
locolala
Ketchup doesn't belong in your nose!

I don't have kids yet, but honestly I don't think it would bother me too much. I would make sure that my child is seen by the school nurse, but masks aren't such a bad thing. They can prevent the transmission of many bugs, not just swine flu!
Old 09-01-2009, 06:21 PM   #4
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

Hey, why doesn't the teacher give out a dunce cap along with the mask and have them sit in a corner?

Unless it was a district policy and the nurse examined the child, a teacher has no business handing out random masks.

The kid could have allergies.
Old 09-01-2009, 06:24 PM   #5
ORMom2Four
DIS Veteran

If she is concerned enough to place a mask on my child, I would prefer that she send them home instead.
ORMom2Four is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 06:26 PM   #6
JoyG
DIS Veteran
When I saw Titanic for the first time in the theater I was crying so hard I was making noises...a snorting/hiccuping sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORMom2Four View Post
If she is concerned enough to place a mask on my child, I would prefer that she send them home instead.
School policy doesn't send anyone home unless they throw up or have a fever.

Coughing, sneezing and runny nosed kids stay.
Old 09-01-2009, 06:28 PM   #7
Kath2003
DIS Veteran

The school needs a new policy that sneezing, snotty, coughing kids go home, then. Either they're well enough to be at school, around other children and staff, or they're sick. And if they're sick, they need to be at home.
Old 09-01-2009, 06:28 PM   #8
SharpMomOfTwo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearlieq View Post
Why is a sick, coughing child with a runny nose at school?

If a parent sent their kid to school that way, I guess I can't really fault the teacher for trying to halt the spread of infection, especially if there is a flu risk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORMom2Four View Post
I agree with both. We do have to remember about alergies, but I've also noticed a lot of parents use that as an excuse when they don't want to keep their child home due to their having to go to work, etc.
SharpMomOfTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 06:34 PM   #9
disney1990
Wow, it make my heart skip a beat
I'm going to miss these when the season ends
Lighting the Way to Paradise

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyG View Post

Wow, I can see this policy quickly changing.

disney1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 06:36 PM   #10
diznygirl
I have a symmetry thing
It is always important to know what team the whackjobs are playing for!
It was the wedding with a two-meatball limit

My kid is one that had allergies and asthma, and I'm waiting for his first cough to cause waves of hysteria at the school.
Old 09-01-2009, 06:39 PM   #11
tzolkin
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyG View Post

Ah, I always loved that policy...

I learned quickly as a child to tell the volunteer (we had no nurse, just parent volunteers who took your temp and sent you back to class if you didn't have one) that I had vomited. My parents supported this lying because I would never try to come home unless I really was sick... I just didn't usually run a fever. I had mono, shingles, and several other real illnesses where the school thought I was fine to stay.

As for the mask... Certainly I feel they should call the parents. If I couldn't be reached, I'm not sure how I would feel about my child being given a mask. I think it's a good that they're concerned with preventing the spread of illnesses, but I would think they would want to keep the kids from passing along anything. I think putting a mask on the kid and saying that they might have swine flu would have a stigma attached to it and may lead to ridicule from the other students.
tzolkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 06:46 PM   #12
mamacatnv
I am the queen of straw!
Almost anything can be fixed with pasta
Do my DH's "Shorty Shorts" count?
I go in search of code!

I think that perhaps that was a little of an overreaction - BUT I do believe that schools are in a damned if they do and damned if they don't area when it comes to dealing with the spread of disease and parents. IMO no matter what they do some parent somewhere is not going to like it and will raise a fuss.

The Swine Flu has everyone on edge and if putting a mask on the coughing kids helps alleve fears and might help the spread then by all means - heck the kids probably think its cool anyway!
POFQ-1/1-1/9/07, ASMu-Dec 05/Jan 06 ASSp-Dec 99/Jan 00 Turn of the Century
Thanks AidensMom
mamacatnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 06:53 PM   #13
kidzmom3
DIS Veteran
Would tell all for a free cruise!

have you ever tried to do work and concentrate with a mask on? Its difficult. If you wear glasses, they fog up. You can feel yourself breathing and coughing. You get hot and short of breath. I would be upset if they masked my kid and didn't call me. If they are going to mask them, then it should be excused home.

also allergies are real and right now where we live, they are high. Ragweed, Sagebrush/Sage and Nettle. Ragweed being the worse and makes you feel like crud. But, you can't stop living.
kidzmom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 07:04 PM   #14
Pakey

I'm not a rookie
I got 2 dogs. I joined the Dis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidzmom3 View Post
have you ever tried to do work and concentrate with a mask on? Its difficult. If you wear glasses, they fog up. You can feel yourself breathing and coughing. You get hot and short of breath. I would be upset if they masked my kid and didn't call me. If they are going to mask them, then it should be excused home.

also allergies are real and right now where we live, they are high. Ragweed, Sagebrush/Sage and Nettle. Ragweed being the worse and makes you feel like crud. But, you can't stop living.

I agree. I had to wear a mask on a 5 hour flight when I was going through chemo and had very low white counts and it was all I could do to make it without going insane (and yes, I wear glasses). Unless it's a school policy and parents are informed of it ahead of time, I would not be happy if my child came home and told me this had happened.
Pakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 07:21 PM   #15
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

Our school has instituted a new policy in regards to preventing the spread of swine flu. Faculty and staff displaying flu like symptoms will be quarantined with masks until someone can come and pick them up. I assume the faculty will be leaving on their own, unless they carpool or get dropped off. I have no idea what those flu like symptoms consist of, if its just coughing, sneezing and runny nose I have a feeling there will be a ton of students in that room with nothing more than hayfever.
In a case like yours OP, I would rather they call me to pick my child up instead of giving them a mask to sit in class. If they have such fear its the flu, then they need to notify the parent and ask them to observe them at home to see if symptoms get worse. If no then they should just return to school the next day. Besides I read today that those masks do nothing to prevent the spread, if the swine flu is in your school it is going to spread through the student population no matter what attempts are made to stop it.
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: