Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2009, 07:24 PM   #1
boBQuincy
I am not carrying three pods
There's something about the smell of the chemicals that just shouts "Photography!"

Sep 2009 Photo Trip Report - Day 3 Monday

Monday – Studios, Beach Club, Epcot

All photos taken with a Canon Rebel Xsi, 24-105, 10-22, 70-200

Our last full day, time to figure out what we haven't seen yet and get with it!
We got up almost on time Monday to make rope drop at the Studios. The boat had just left but another arrived soon.

Toy Story Midway Mania was tops on the list so after arriving at the Studios we went to the FP dispenser, no line at all. Across the way we saw Luxo Jr. dancing to a medley of hits.

We walked around the streets, took in Muppet 4-D, checked out the latest pins under the hat while High School Musical 3 ran, and it was about time for lunch. We have had many Cobb salads at many places but none were as good as those at Hollywood Brown Derby! This is a "must-eat" for every WDW trip we take. The lizard outside thought topiary Mickey’s nose tasted good.

After lunch it was almost time for our FPs but on the way we stopped in the "One Man's Dream" exhibit. Although we know a fair amount about Walt Disney's achievements it is still amazing just how much this man accomplished. His inventiveness and creativity were almost boundless, his works and ideas are still enjoyed by millions. I imagine Walt would be pleased with the remake of Fantasyland, it seems like something he would dream up.
On to Toy Story, where DW proclaimed she would win. Almost, dear… We looked for some streetmosphere action but there wasn’t much going on until Bucky Greenhorn coaxed The Diva into a temper tantrum.

After that DW wanted to try a massage at Beach Club so we headed back to the Studios boat dock, where we ran into our first rain of the trip. Richard told a few (bad) jokes on the trip to keep us entertained.

The rain ended just as we docked and we never got more than a few drops on us, what luck!

"Take the big pill, and go back to the SLR you know. Take the small micro 4/3 pill and you will never look at SLRs the same way again." a G3 and now a GX7. Photos at: suzieandbob.com

Our model monorail site: http://monorail.suzieandbob.com/

Last edited by boBQuincy; 09-28-2009 at 07:34 PM.
boBQuincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 07:25 PM   #2
boBQuincy
There's something about the smell of the chemicals that just shouts "Photography!"

Part 2

While DW was relaxing I figured my Canon Xsi needed some more exercise, with a quick trip into Epcot to get some more photos.

I stopped to listen to the British Invasion who sounded just great (much better than in December). 90 minutes later back at Beach Club DW was ready for some smackerals and B&C was right next door so we had a light dinner and topped it off with a No Way Jose! Beaches & Cream was fairly deserted (pun intended).

Since this was our last evening, after taking advantage of the nice pool at Beach Club I was headed to Epcot but first took a few photos of the sunset from our verandah.

After that I walked to Epcot for Illuminations but first went to the Fountain of Nations to try some HDRs there. HDR does not work so well when the water patterns *and* the colors change between (or even during) exposures! Later at home I was able to put some of the exposures together but at the time it didn't look too promising.

Oh well, after an hour or so of this it was getting close to 9:00 so I walked to World Showcase and found a nice spot right at the fence for my tripod at 8:55! Quick, set the focus to infinity and manual, set the aperture to f/11, ISO to 100, shutter to 4, and wait for the fireworks. Whew!
Some small children were standing behind me so I motioned for them to come up front figuring they might bump the tripod a few times but not enough to worry about.

We Go On!

The problem with photographing Illuminations is that people on this board are getting *so * good that photos like this are almost commonplace now. After the fireworks I took a few photos on the way out of Epcot and back at Beach Club before quitting for the night.

The movie on the beach was Monsters Inc., right at the part where Mike is on a date at “Harryhausen’s” restaurant, hilarious!
Of course I could not walk through Beach Club without taking a few photos.

It was a great day!

"Take the big pill, and go back to the SLR you know. Take the small micro 4/3 pill and you will never look at SLRs the same way again." a G3 and now a GX7. Photos at: suzieandbob.com

Last edited by boBQuincy; 09-28-2009 at 08:21 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-28-2009, 07:42 PM   #3
annnewjerz
If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense.

As always, very nice Bob! Love the last few shots of Illuminations with the inclusion of the standing people and the final shot of the Beach Club.

AND---I'm glad to hear that the Cobb Salad at HBD is as good as I was hoping. We have a lunch ADR there in December and I've really been looking forward to it.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:10 PM   #4
saturndb
I'm Dave and I approved this Post.

Bob,

You pictures are great! Your Illuminations pics are very nicely done.Makes me want to go to Disney right now!!

Dave

See my FLICKR photos

You wanna hurt me? Go right ahead if it makes you feel any better. I'm an easy target. Yeah, you're right, I talk too much. I also listen too much. I could be a cold-hearted cynic like you... but I don't like to hurt people's feelings. Well, you think what you want about me; I'm not changing. I like... I like me. My wife likes me. My customers like me. 'Cause I'm the real article. What you see is what you get. - Del Griffith

My Gear: Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 1D, Canon D30 IR, , Casio Exilm, Canon 70-200 2.8 L, Canon 17-40 L, Canon 28-70 F2.8 L, Canon 50 1.4, Canon 50 1.8, Canon EF 2X II Extender, BlackRapid, Canon 500D Lens, Cullman Tripod, Gitzo Tripod, gorrillapod and Canon Speedlite 270EX, Canon Speedlite 430EX II, (2) YONGNUO YN-462 CANON FLASH, Zeikos Flash, many back up batteries and memory cards.

saturndb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 08:20 PM   #5
IndyShutterbug
Earning My Ears

Love the photos! The HDR photos are very nicely done, and lack the common "halo effect" you usually see. I would be interested in your method of achieving them, if you have a few minutes.
We fly out in 11 hours for a 6 day trip, and I am very excited to take my new equipment.
IndyShutterbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 08:23 PM   #6
boBQuincy

Oops, I forgot to put in the photos of Spaceship Earth at night. I just added them to Part 2.

With my memory it's no wonder I use Program mode most of the time!

boB

Old 09-28-2009, 08:37 PM   #7
annnewjerz
If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boBQuincy View Post
With my memory it's no wonder I use Program mode most of the time!
Old 09-28-2009, 08:37 PM   #8
rcraw45425
I'm a 43 year old mom with a scar on my navel!

Gorgeous photos! I spoke with Amazon and I can trade the non IS for the IS version of that telephoto lens. I hope that the pictures I take are 1/10 as good as these!
offsite '71,'86,'95,'04,Swan'98,CR'98,GF'99,CR'01,CR'03,WL '04,Polynesian'04,YC'05,GF'05,POFQ'05,CR'05,YC'06, PBH'06,CR'07,AS Sports,YC CL1/08,GF11/08, HRH 07/09, WL CL 11/09, PBH 1/10, CR Tower Club 1 bedroom suite 5/10,Royal Pacific Resort Club 12/10, BWI,Disney Dream 4/11,CSR/Grand Floridian 12/11,CR tower 10/12, AKL 1/13, Polynesian 6/13,Polynesian 10/13, PBH CL 11/13, BC 3/14 (2 BR suite), Hard Rock Hotel for Diagon Alley Opening Day (7/14)
rcraw45425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 06:41 AM   #9
racreel
522 miles NW of the Magic Kingdom as the crow flies

Great images! Looks like you had a great trip.

Disneyland: 1976, ASMo: Dec. 1999, POP: Dec. 2005, ASMu: Dec. 2007, ASMu: Mar. 2008, POR: Oct. 2009, Offsite: Dec. 2009, POR: Dec. 2010, SSR: Apr. 2011,
POR: Oct. 2011, POP: Oct. 2012, AoA: Nov. 2012

racreel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 07:22 AM   #10
boBQuincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyShutterbug View Post
Love the photos! The HDR photos are very nicely done, and lack the common "halo effect" you usually see. I would be interested in your method of achieving them, if you have a few minutes.
We fly out in 11 hours for a 6 day trip, and I am very excited to take my new equipment.
Thank you! I use Photomatix, usually with a high setting on smoothing to avoid halos. If I want a more dramatic effect and end up with halos I go back with another darkened layer around the halo area and use a mask to blend the halos out.

For image capture I use AEB, set to +/- 2 stops with aperture priority. For scenes that appear to have a lot of range I take three exposures with compensation set to -2, and three at +2, using the five distinct exposures in Photomatix. This gives a total range of about 16+ stops, that is usually enough!

Old 09-29-2009, 10:12 AM   #11
Todd_H
DIS Veteran

All great shots, Bob! You make it look too easy.

You're right about people getting really good at shooting Illuminations. I've seen some shots on this board and on flickr that make me never want to try it again ! The bar is waaaaaay too high.

Please visit my flickr photostream
Todd_H is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: